WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Interesting Baseball read

wayniac

Reaction score
Love baseball the game, but these guys cant have it both ways. "The players are the only stakeholder capable of challenging ownership’s single-minded pursuit of profit, and reversing the damage that pursuit has done." Professional athletes in general do not seem to care about the sport they are playing. When you look at the top salaries, they are insane. Then the examples they use are a catcher that is an athletic freak, but has trouble blocking and working with pitchers and machado with such a bad attitude he hurts a team. I think the avg fan realizes that for the ownership its business. When the players strike, its not about the teams, it looks selfish. The day I see the players refuse to play because the ticket prices are too high and the cost of a hotdog and beer are crazy, I will back them more.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
The problem with these two free agents is time. They want 10 year deals. Nobody want to pay a 37 year old 25 million a year. Look at pujols and cabrerra. The angels have the best player in baseball with trout but will need payroll to go to 200mm tto field a competitive team. Pujols is earning 30mm a year with incentives that he may or may not reach which is 1\5 of the angels 150mm dollar payroll.

On the flip side you have teams that are historically stingy like my padres. Rumor is one of the members of the ownership group doesn't want to spend money to put a winner on the field but he can be bought out in 2020. At least I hope so.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Call the whaaambulance. Take the $18m for the year and shut up.
Pro stick and ball sport is going to go the way of auto racing. Careers will be shorter as the talent pool is only growing. As an owner you can sign younger athletes for far less money and cycle them in and out in 3-5 years instead of 7-10.

Last edited:

MCnParker

Reaction score
Love baseball the game, but these guys cant have it both ways. "The players are the only stakeholder capable of challenging ownership’s single-minded pursuit of profit, and reversing the damage that pursuit has done." Professional athletes in general do not seem to care about the sport they are playing. When you look at the top salaries, they are insane. Then the examples they use are a catcher that is an athletic freak, but has trouble blocking and working with pitchers and machado with such a bad attitude he hurts a team. I think the avg fan realizes that for the ownership its business. When the players strike, its not about the teams, it looks selfish. The day I see the players refuse to play because the ticket prices are too high and the cost of a hotdog and beer are crazy, I will back them more.

I remember the first couple years after Arte Moreno bought the Angels, he lowered the prices of Beer and concessions in the stadium. I went to more games in those two seasons than I had in my entire life. Then the profit margin dropped and the prices steadily raised back up to where they are now. I know it is a business but it is soo frustrating to support a local team that continually makes poor business decisions when it comes to building a winning team. I will be the first to admit that I dislike the Yankees "ALOT" , but I look at how that team is run and the mindset of ownership and I wish that was part of more teams DNA. Buy the players and build a team to win.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I’ll forever be a die hard baseball fan but the greatest WTF contract negotiated of all time has to be Bobby Bonilla’s. He essentially will be paid $29 million for a season he didn’t even play.

July 1st every year is Bobby Bonilla day [emoji16]

Englewood

Reaction score
I’ll forever be a die hard baseball fan but the greatest WTF contract negotiated of all time has to be Bobby Bonilla’s. He essentially will be paid $29 million for a season he didn’t even play.

July 1st every year is Bobby Bonilla day [emoji16]
I think it actually worked well for both of them. If they invested the original amount, they would be much ahead.

I think Machado and Harper are not gonna get these huge deals they hoped for. Harper should've took 300m from the Nats. We'll see.

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
This really isn't a straight article; these guys want to have the HIGHEST AVERAGE $ per year for the LONGEST contracts in history. Ain't happening. Grandal may be one of the better hitting catchers in MLB but guess what? It doesn't matter. These dudes are paid to block, block, and block. Also, they got to handle the pitchers and throw runners out at a 25% clip. Grandal didn't do any of that in the playoffs on the biggest stage and that's why he didn't get what he wanted.
GO REDSOX !!! RD SUX and so do the Yankees!!!

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Both Harper and Machado have far too much baggage and lack the ability to carry teams at the monetary level they want in my opinion. Last season Machado did nothing to help the Dodgers. Harper has played for a Nats team that, on paper had all the pieces to win big, but fell far short. Both above average players, but far from elite and the tops at their respective positions.

They are not worth the money they want, nor the risk, and teams see it.

Long term deals rarely work out for the duration and unless a team feels a player will make the difference immediately for several years, they ain't risking the backend fall off.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Fuck those whinny bitches! Wanna see a complete collapse of the MLB..... Let the players strike because they're "only making 18 million a year". Yet the ones that support the teams they play for have to save up to go to a game. I understand trying for and wanting more money, but if you bitch about ONLY $18 million for playing a GAME. Go the fuck home.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
What’s happened is that the Owners have realized that these long term / high dollar contracts rarely result in World Championships and usually eat into their profit margins.

On the flip side this game has turned into an entertainment business more than simply a sport. It’s no longer about winning for the owners. To them winning is now how many millions in added profitability can be made is what drives them today.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The NFL contract with the players dictates the percentage of revenues that the players get vs owners.

It also provides a salary floor that teams have to spend...they can’t put a bunch of low-paid scrubs in the field.

I wonder if the MLB contract with the players has anything similar?
It sure doesn’t sound like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
They need to set it up more like the NBA....

4 year contracts

5 year contracts only if you stay with the team that originally drafted you.

The agents and players have ruined baseball. Its insane what the angels have paid Pujols and Hamilton with very little in return.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Fuck those whinny bitches! Wanna see a complete collapse of the MLB..... Let the players strike because they're "only making 18 million a year". Yet the ones that support the teams they play for have to save up to go to a game. I understand trying for and wanting more money, but if you bitch about ONLY $18 million for playing a GAME. Go the fuck home.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Last time baseball striked, it took years to get back to healthy attendance.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Old Texan

Reaction score
I was a big Mickey Mantle fan. Saw him play several times later in his career. Tremendous talent and quite humble. He played some slow pitch later on with a Dallas Merchants team and they'd come to Houston a few times a year. Guy loved to tell stories and drank a bunch of beer. Alcohol got him in the end.

In his day, contracts were year to year and negotiated each year. Yogi was the best at negotiating. He'd wait until the big team gathering before spring training and get whoever in management making the deals full of drinks. Then he'd get them into serious contract talks, getting a better deal than most.:D

AEA

Reaction score
It is kinda hard to feel bad for guys making a minimum of $550,000.00 a year.
Regarding Harper and Machado, if I were an owner I would not hire either of them, Assholes.

Old Texan

Reaction score
It is kinda hard to feel bad for guys making a minimum of $550,000.00 a year.
Regarding Harper and Machado, if I were an owner I would not hire either of them, Assholes.
Few years back, we were heading to MI and picked my granddaughter up in South Bend, IN where she'd been hanging out with her boyfriend at the time. The kid was playing rookie league and lived with several other players. All had signed with big bonuses. They lived in what was a private house ND students typically rented. They were out of town on a road trip.

The driveway had a couple decked out pickups with all options, a BMW M3, and some older classic Porsche. Inside multiple video games, big screens and several sets of top line golf clubs.

None of the group has made it to the bigs, except for a cup of coffee here and there, but they are wealthy lil' fucks....Hard time indeed.:rolleyes:

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
Few years back, we were heading to MI and picked my granddaughter up in South Bend, IN where she'd been hanging out with her boyfriend at the time. The kid was playing rookie league and lived with several other players. All had signed with big bonuses. They lived in what was a private house ND students typically rented. They were out of town on a road trip.

The driveway had a couple decked out pickups with all options, a BMW M3, and some older classic Porsche. Inside multiple video games, big screens and several sets of top line golf clubs.

None of the group has made it to the bigs, except for a cup of coffee here and there, but they are wealthy lil' fucks....Hard time indeed.:rolleyes:
Actually unless you are a top round draft pick the pay goes as following:
A ball = about $750/mo
AA ball = about $1250/mo
AAA ball = about $2500/mo

Old Texan

Reaction score
Actually unless you are a top round draft pick the pay goes as following:
A ball = about $750/mo
AA ball = about $1250/mo
AAA ball = about $2500/mo
Yup.....But there is a signing bonus. Instant millionaires for higher picks and nice piece of change for lower picks.