WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Interesting (Different) Afternoon

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
So the whole plan today was as soon as the clock strikes 3pm, the wife and I were going to head out on the boat to cool off and have some fun.

3pm comes along and I am having a great nap, resting up from the hectic work week.

3:15pm and my phone rings. It's work. We need you to take care of some shit. Log back onto my computer, and I am working till about 4:15. Finally finish up and tell the wife to load the cooler, we're heading out.

Being that it's "National Tequila Day", we make ourselves a couple of Tequila based cocktails, she loads the cooler with beer and we head down to the dock. Boat is low on fuel, so I have to spend about 15 minutes dumping some in.

We're off......

For those who aren't familiar with the Martinez Lake area, our house is in a no wake zone. We have about 10 minutes of no wake until we hit the lake. Once we hit the lake, its about a 3 minute ride from one side to the other (in our tri-toon, which is slow). Then their is another 2 minutes or so of no wake until we hit the river. So from our house to the river is about 15 minutes. No big deal....

So we are cruising across the lake enjoying our Tequila. We get to the end of the lake at the no wake zone and come up on this tri hull with 3 ladies and 2 guys in it. 2 of the ladies are in the bow rowing towards back where we came from. We circle and ask if they are ok. "Boat won't start" they say. I ask if they want to be towed. They say, that would be great but we have a long way to go. Where? I ask. Back at the Meers Point Launch ramp they say. Well, that is right next to our house. So I ask if they have a rope, they do and we hook them up.

Start to tow, and their boat is just dragging. So I have a bright idea. I stop, and tell them that the chicks need to get off their boat and onto mine. You 2 dudes can catch the dock when we swing by at the launch ramp. Chicks are thrilled. They get on, into the shade (which they were totally lacking in their boat) and love our dog. We start towing them back. Come to find out that they have rented a house near ours. D. Palmer, they are staying in the house that you always rent. Anyway, they also tell us that they have 2 more friends who are still out on the sandbar and they have no clue how to get them back in. Don't worry, we have you covered.

So we tow the broken boat back to the launch ramp. Leave the 2 guys there with it. Their vehicles and trailer are there. We head back out, with the girls, to retrieve the 2 other people (2 other dudes). On the way, we find out that they are out here to celebrate the 34th birthday (I need to start hanging out with people my own age) of one of the dudes we left behind.

On our way back across the lake, one of the girls ball cap flies off into the water. She looks at me and says "don't worry about it", but I could tell she really wanted the hat back. I circled back, and we get the hat back. She starts tearing up and says that the hat was her brothers favorite hat. The brother passed away a couple of years ago... :(

We get out to the sandbar and retrieve the other 2 guys and all their stuff (umbrellas, tubes, table and their trash. I thanked them for being good stewards of the river and bringing their trash in with them).

We headed back for the launch ramp where the original 2 dudes were waiting. We gave our new friends some beers and some waters and they all were very happy.

As we dropped them off at the launch ramp, one of the original guys tried to slip me some cash. I told him I wouldn't take it, but that I just wanted him to pay it forward in the future. He promised me he would.......

Time for dinner.... :)

milkmoney

Reaction score
I have never met you , I will say that you and your wife are extremely kind and a big [emoji106] to you guys for doing what's right and putting the faith back in humanity ...

[emoji2]

X Hoser

Reaction score
We have never been to the lower river. (Yea I know, it's closed). With dudes like you out there we just may have to give it a try. But then, you'd probably be hangin' with people older than you LOL! Nice job, an experience your "new" friends will talk about for years, and no doubt pay forward.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing like bulking up the River Karma fund. Never know when you're gonna need it in return. Sounds like you guys still had a fun afternoon. :thumbsup:

BTW: this is standard operating procedure for Lower River folk. If you other boaters don't help others, you're doing it wrong.

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Nothing like bulking up the River Karma fund. Never know when you're gonna need it in return. Sounds like you guys still had a fun afternoon. :thumbsup:

BTW: this is standard operating procedure for Lower River folk. If you other boaters don't help others, you're doing it wrong.

You know me... I am a big believer in the River Karma Fund..... :thumbup:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Nothing like bulking up the River Karma fund. Never know when you're gonna need it in return. Sounds like you guys still had a fun afternoon. [emoji106]

SOP in most places.....like the random people that towed Headshothills back in last weekend.[emoji106]

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Or it didn't happen! :D

Great Story!!! Any pics of the chicks lol!

I thought about it, but didn't want to be a creeper.... They were in their early 30's. I'm 53 (although I don't look a day over 52).....

We all did have a laugh about me bringing them onto my boat and leaving their men behind in the toad.......

outboardrick

Reaction score
I thought about it, but didn't want to be a creeper.... They were in their early 30's. I'm 53 (although I don't look a day over 52).....

We all did have a laugh about me bringing them onto my boat and leaving their men behind in the toad.......

Be a creaper, be proud!! :D

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Obviously, at this point in the evening, I am STILL working.........

God damn virtual servers are acting up in Plano Texas, and I'm on the hook for it...... :grumble:

It's going to be a long night.... Apparently, Karma is not working in my favor right now...... :)

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Awesome, that's great that you came to the rescue like that. :thumbup: :thumbup:

You totally saved the Birthday bash :party: :champagne:

I've towed and been towed...sure is nice that boaters help each other in times of need.
Shoot I've even had to flag down some jet skiers to help me get my stuck boat off the beach. :) :point

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Nice work scouter.... Kinda of cool how we try to look after each other out there. Jr. and I got drug in the other day and we tried to give the guy and his son cash and beers, they would not take either, asking us to just pay it forward (which we do), very nice example to his son.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Nice job, buddy. :thumbup::thumbup: always try to lend a helping hand..

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Obviously, at this point in the evening, I am STILL working.........

God damn virtual servers are acting up in Plano Texas, and I'm on the hook for it...... :grumble:

It's going to be a long night.... Apparently, Karma is not working in my favor right now...... :)

Bummer :( you get it all fixed up? Are you responsible for all of the virtual infrastructure too? Seems like the hardware guys would be taking care of that.

Flynryan

Reaction score
Ive towed my fair share of people and never take any money either. My time will come when I need a tow. Good for you for being a good boater!