WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Interesting Mercury Outboard future speculation.....

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I did not write what is below. I copied it from another forum. It is interesting enough to b e discussed here. Here it is:

Is the BIG news from Mercury Marine on February 11 related to Electric Outboards?

There is Purewatercraft coming with their 50 hp electric outboard motor . Nope not BIG enough. There is Torqueedo Electric Deep Blue 40 coming with their 40 hp electric outboard motor. Nope not BIG enough. There is Golden Motor EZ Outboards with their 20 hp electric outboard motor. Nope not big enough.

But then there is Hyper Electric Marine coming with their 350 HP Tesla based electric outboard motor. This is BIG!

"I got the email from Mercury Marine today from Mercury President Chris Drees about the February 11 announcement regarding the Mercury Marine's "most innovative product in Mercury history. " Even though, I am on Mercury's Pro Team, I confess that I do not know what product will be released.

But there are definite clues in the announcement...

Mercury Marine will be "unveiling an outboard that delivers boaters unrivaled freedom, luxury and power to pursue their passions on the water." and repeating, it will be the "most innovative product in Mercury history." Furthermore, "it will be a truly special day for everyone who loves the water as much as we do."

Make no mistake, this is something that is new and ground breaking based on the language used in this teaser announcement. With the timing of the announcement in February, we can deduce that the original intention was to make a huge announcement at the 2021 Miami International Boat Show where historically, Mercury and other marine manufacturers make their huge announcements about new and innovative products. Of course, with the Coronavirus Pandemic, the MIBS 2021 was cancelled. This is something really big regarding which they clearly want to make a big deal. And obviously, we know definitively that this is a new Outboard motor. And we know that it is something BIG!

What IT is likely NOT....
It is likely not just an announcement about the long awaited 350 or 400 hp version of the Mercury V8 4.6l. That would not qualify as "the most innovative product in Mercury history," which arguably the Mercury Racing 450R V8 would be so far, and this would be a little brother to that rendition.

It is likely not just an announcement about some lower horsepower engine less than 150 hp which generally does not qualify for a Miami International Boat Show announcement and would not qualify as "the most innovative product in Mercury history" or something really BIG.

What IT could be...
It is likely with the language, of being the "most innovative product" and " unrivaled freedom, luxury and power" that this Outboard Motor will have more than the 450 horsepower of the current top Mercury Outboard powered motor.

A. It could be a Mercury 600 horsepower V8 Outboard based on this currently existing Mercury Racing Sterndrive SCI motor with the following SPECIFICATIONS

HORSEPOWER 600 (447 KW)
FULL THROTTLE RPM RANGE 4800-5200
  • DISPLACEMENT LITER/C.I.D. 8.2/502
  • BORE (IN/MM) 4.47/113
  • STROKE (IN/MM) 4.00/102
  • COMPRESSION RATIO 7.5:1
  • CYLINDERS V-8
B. It could be Mercury Marine announcing a Mercury Outboard version of the 627 horsepower motor which Seven Marine and Volvo have apparently given up on and whose technology they could have sold to Mercury Marine.

C. It could be Mercury Marine doing what previous rumors queried that they were "working on a top secret 500hp or 600 hp 4.6-litre V8 outboard engine that will add turbocharger technology."
In other words it could be a larger horsepower version of their popular and torquey 4.6 liter V8 powerhead, now maybe even turbocharged.

D. It could be a 600 horsepower brand new V12 (or maybe V10) iteration of an Outboard Engine which has been rumored to have been tested on Intrepid boats. Price prediction if true - nearly $100,000 per motor. Makes sense to try this super expensive outboard out first on a boat brand loved by the uber wealthy Fort Lauderdale / Miami crowd. Can you imagine Intrepid's 475 Panacea or Sport Yacht with a mere twin motor setup of twin Mercury 600s qualifying for their language of "unrivaled freedom, luxury, and power?" I think this could be a real possibility.

E. With the internal combustion engine for automobiles trying to be made extinct by the Green Crowd and being replaced by electric motors, perhaps this "unrivaled freedom, luxury, power" equates to a new powerful Electric Outboard. That would certainly qualify for the "most innovative product" in Mercury Marine history! But surely we would have heard rumors about this project that could not have been kept secret on the confines and surroundings of Lake X.

So my revised purely speculative predictive guessing gives A. 600 hp V8 based on existing sterndrive - 1% probability,
B. Mercury version of 7 Marine's 627 hp outboard - 16% probability,
C. A 500 or 600 hp version of existing V8 4.6 liter Outboard, possibly Turbo charged - 17% probability,
D. A new 600 hp V12 Outboard engine - 23% probability,
E. for Electric Outboard - 20% probability.
F. Something else which is not mentioned - 23% probability

What do you think will be announced by Mercury Marine on February 11 at 10 a.m. CST???"

Regarding Speculative Prediction E:

Could it be a collaboration with these folks at Hyper Electric Marine 350 Horsepower Outboard? The Cowling is shaped similarly to a Mercury Verado 350 L6 or an old Mercury Optimax cowling, and apparently they use the Mercury platform to acheive over 350 HP.

"Hyper Electric Marine specializes in integrating Tesla motors with marine propulsion units, such as this outboard based prototype shown here. We shot this footage while conducting thermal testing on a 28 foot tritoon test mule. The prototype shown here demonstrates a Tesla Model S Sport motor and Tesla Model 3 battery pack with a custom engineered gearbox to perfectly electrify this Mercury platform achieving over 350HP. Other propulsion types and Tesla motor models are also in development, however the company will launch this offering first in 2021 as a turnkey outboard solution complete with battery and control system. Website: www.hyperelectricmarine.com"

screen_shot_2021_01_30_at_11_59_35_am_2_b9b09ab5b4b306f4c652be89e897629c72e5d628.png

Very Interesting possibility for February 11, don't you think? The only issue would be range, same as electric cars for me. What is the likelihood that this is the BIG news?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
The cruising sailing community a lot of boats are now going electric. They will even regen by spinning the props while under sail. Now obviously that's a whole different animal than a strictly electric powerboat.

Reaction score
even though my prediction of an evinrude "type" clean burning 2-cycle outboard was not mentioned, think the OP is vin...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That prop is weird looking for sure.. looks like it flares out to zero pitch on the end of the blades?

Personally I don’t see the electric thing being main stream for quite sometime. The drag of a planing boat is a constant brake..