WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Interesting New Boat Buyer Statistics

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we all know that boat purchases (new and used) have increased significantly in the last six months. So where is the increase coming from? According to the latest statistics from the NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association), much of the spike in sales is coming from new/first-time buyers. For the last ten years, new/first time boat buyers have declined about .5% each year since 2010 (new boats). In 2020, however, all that lost ground has been made back up with a 5% increase in new/first-time buyers jumping into the market. And the same is true for the used boat market as well. First-time buyers have been just as active there too. Hopefully we don't need an annual pandemic to energize boat sales in the future.

Tank

Reaction score
I think we all know that boat purchases (new and used) have increased significantly in the last six months. So where is the increase coming from? According to the latest statistics from the NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association), much of the spike in sales is coming from new/first-time buyers. For the last ten years, new/first time boat buyers have declined about .5% each year since 2010 (new boats). In 2020, however, all that lost ground has been made back up with a 5% increase in new/first-time buyers jumping into the market. And the same is true for the used boat market as well. First-time buyers have been just as active there too. Hopefully we don't need an annual pandemic to energize boat sales in the future.

That is freakin' CRAZY! 10 years of declining sales made up in 1 year plus 5% on top! That is absolutely insane! I think it's with all toys from the looks of things. RV's, off road vehicles. Buddy owns a used mercedes shop in FLorida, he said he can't keep cars in stock and cars at the auction are going for 25-50% more than they were a year ago! Housing market is crazy, boat market is crazy. Used offshore boats are a GOOD 25-35% mark up over a couple years ago. It's just crazy.

2Driver

Reaction score
3 trillion in stimulus hit the market and no one is really sure where it went exactly, but it is showing up.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Its funny people try to argue this isn't 2008 so don't worry about it everything is good, they're right about the crisis part it is different. But just like last go around, the buying crazy part is the same and in the end will have the same results. I just hope to be able to capitalize when it does. I was one of the buying party will never end guys last time until it did and went down in flames. Not this go around.

Wbinder

Reaction score
They must count jet skis, everywhere I look on the river now I see a new jet ski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
They must count jet skis, everywhere I look on the river now I see a new jet ski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you mean "mid engine jet propelled boat"

But ya, boat market is crazy. I have had more pre-purchase inspections, more insurance related repair work, and more complete boat overhauls from people who got took from previous owners than any other year. I also bought a boat to flip back in March. A lot of first time boaters out there everywhere

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
It’s a dang good time to sell just about anything. Seems to me that you might as well get it (sell) while it lasts. it is bound to end and probably fairly soon.

Last edited: