WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Interesting responses from AZ residents

D19

Reaction score
Wow sounds like a bunch of bigots. Just curious, how old were you at the time? I know you look kind of young for your age and you started in the Real Estate business rather young too. When I bought my first home I was 19 and I had the next door neighbor show up with his Smith & Wesson. I worked swing shit, so I was there kind of late checking out the property with a friend. I had the garage door open and he just walked in the garage as we were there just talking.

He was an African American male that looked to be in his early sixties. He said he was a Probation/Parole Officer and made some sort of comment about his brothers Smith and Wesson then brandished his weapon. After a while of him being a dick and me explaining that I had purchased the property and I worked nights he finally left my garage. I didn't feel that he was racists but I felt it was more of a jealousy or age discrimination type thing. He was probably thinking how does a 19 afford a home next to me when I am 60 years old. Even though I didn't have a funny come-back at the time, the joke was still on him since I rented the property to a section 8 family. ;)

27, but I had partners that were over twice my age. I was young but I learned to build good relationships with people. People don't care how young you are or what color your skin is when you make them money and do what you say you're going to do.

Kinda funny- I used to meet my partners at a gas station off the 55FWY where they would hand me millions of dollars worth of cashiers checks on my way to the auctions. They'd hand me the checks and say "good luck, go buy some stuff for us, bring back what you don't spend".

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
🤫 Culinary Dropout is closed

Glad to hear the house is in a good cul de sac. The days of driveway bond fires, potlucks and cookouts are long gone in my parents Tempe cul de sac but everybody remains tolerant regardless of their political/religious beliefs.

LOL...is Culinary Dropout a closely guarded secret? The food was pretty tasty as were the cocktails. We went to the one in Gilbert. I mean, we WOULD have gone to the one in Gilbert...if it were open.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
What would be the Reason to not want to be
Friends" with your Neighbors? Sure seems Odd that you would move in with a "Chip" on your shoulder and then Expect, WHAT?:(

Well, we're not dissuaded from being friendly and neighborly. We'll kill 'em with kindness and Steve will eventually see we are the solution, not the problem. We go in with zero expectations and are pleasantly surprised when offered a kind handshake. We shocked the hell out of most of the contractors that came to do work on the house for us when we offered our hands to shake and didn't require them to double mask. :rolleyes: Many of them told us that was commonplace when working with CA people. That's just not us.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
@Tamalewagon not at all 😆 figured y’all went to the Mill Ave location. It’s one of the better Fox Concepts here in the valley. Y’all get the pretzels and fondue?

I’m sure they will but make sure your boy and his crew find there way down to Chuckbox and Cornish Pasty. Great food and cold beer!

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips on Culinary Dropout - never been but will try it.

Anyone go to UnPhogettable in Mesa on Dobson Road? There's one on Dobson in Chandler too. Best Pho soup I've found here in this state

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
@Tamalewagon not at all 😆 figured y’all went to the Mill Ave location. It’s one of the better Fox Concepts here in the valley. Y’all get the pretzels and fondue?

I’m sure they will but make sure your boy and his crew find there way down to Chuckbox and Cornish Pasty. Great food and cold beer!

Funny you mentioned the fondue and pretzels. That was the first appetizer along with the Brussel Sprouts. Tasty vittles.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score

Anyone go to UnPhogettable in Mesa on Dobson Road? There's one on Dobson in Chandler too. Best Pho soup I've found here in this state

This place is pretty good too for Pho soup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurtis500

Reaction score
LOL...is Culinary Dropout a closely guarded secret? The food was pretty tasty as were the cocktails. We went to the one in Gilbert. I mean, we WOULD have gone to the one in Gilbert...if it were open.
I and my neighbors went to WAR with Fox restaraunts back in 2013 for the Culinary Dropout behind my house in central Phoenix at The Yard. After a year of hell we started winning. Now all is good with them... mostly. But Sam Fox is a douche. Dave Tierney from Sacks Tierney law firm kicked Sam Fox out of my house during a meeting... no joke.. long story

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Funny you mentioned the fondue and pretzels. That was the first appetizer along with the Brussel Sprouts. Tasty vittles.

Sam and his partners have done pretty well especially now that Cheesecake Factory bought in. And the fondue and pretzels is definitely bomb. Lol.

530RL

Reaction score
I and my neighbors went to WAR with Fox restaraunts back in 2013 for the Culinary Dropout behind my house in central Phoenix at The Yard. After a year of hell we started winning. Now all is good with them... mostly. But Sam Fox is a douche. Dave Tierney from Sacks Tierney law firm kicked Sam Fox out of my house during a meeting... no joke.. long story

The old Max of Switzerland dealership and then the Ducati store.

Old Phoenix there.

kurtis500

Reaction score
The old Max of Switzerland dealership and then the Ducati store.

Old Phoenix there.
I used to make carbon fiber parts for the Ducatis and walk them behind my shop to the dealer (Paul) where he would put them on the motorcycles for sale... Good times

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

I though we might be friends then you went to far with the Cornish Pasty… it is closed!

But if you must go to the Cornish its located in Gilbert or Downtown Phoenix. There is not one in Tempe in a secret spot.

Next thing you know you are going to send them on a wild goose chase looking for Oysters…

530RL

Reaction score
I used to make carbon fiber parts for the Ducatis and walk them behind my shop to the dealer (Paul) where he would put them on the motorcycles for sale... Good times

I’m so old I knew Frank Heldt’s dad who started Heldt lumber next door. 😳

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
It's amazing some in here talk about moving into a Neighborhood, with possibly Retired Military Guys who have worked hard from a very early age. and that are Country Loving, respecting the Flag and are No nonsense, Not Politically Correct Conservative Republicans or Independents and you would Disrespect them by playing marachi Music just to upset them and then tell them to F.O or?o_O

I have lived by and among these type of people on and off all my early life. I do not have ESP, but can guarantee the instruments will not be Playable ever again and telling any number of these "Old Guys" after being told to F.O would end the Foolishness and Disrespectful Attitude by anyone Moving into their Neighborhood. 3 = HITs Two to the Face and One when you hit the Groud Out Cold. Disrespect is Not Accepted by these "Old School" Vets.

kurtis500

Reaction score
I’m so old I knew Frank Heldt’s dad who started Heldt lumber next door. 😳
Im pretty much next door to them. Frank's son-in-law is a good friend of mine and comes up to my place in Park City to ski all the time. Good people

kurtis500

Reaction score
Here's a cropped CCTV pic from the back of my Phoenix house overlooking the garage. Like I said, The Yard is a little close :oops:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 7.11.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 7.11.26 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 83

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Since we are talking about Phoenix area favorite restaurants, best kept secret right now for me is 12 West Brewing Company in downtown mesa.

1626749088190.png

Usually I'd keep secrets like this to myself, but DT Mesa getting back on the map will be good for me since I am virtually walking distance to it. New investment is definitely needed down there.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Try having a 619 area code for your phone. People here in TN don't answer when I call. Have to leave a message and then they call back. They usually say sorry we don't answer CA calls. Thinking about changing my phone number, but have had it for so long.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Don’t bring your boat and leave it in the front yard Tamalewagon

Oh and 95% of the white plates I’ve been seeing around here lately are mounted to Tesla’s, Priuses and other shit boxes of various varieties. Doesn’t bode well for their political leanings usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWC

Reaction score
Since we are talking about Phoenix area favorite restaurants, best kept secret right now for me is 12 West Brewing Company in downtown mesa.

View attachment 1027488

Usually I'd keep secrets like this to myself, but DT Mesa getting back on the map will be good for me since I am virtually walking distance to it. New investment is definitely needed down there.
What’s your favorite spot in Scottsdale?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

It used to be the Salt Cellar... before it closed. But its South Scottsdale, so if you are from out of state you will want to stay north of Thomas for sure. Some people almost consider it N. Tempe. Let's be real, you can go to a "Mastro's" type place anywhere in the country.

Reactions: DWC

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

To be frank I don't like much in Scottsdale. Not really my kind of crowd, lots of thirsty gold diggers and douchey dudes flaunting a bunch of fools gold, they are perfect for each other.

Best place I have found down there is Bootleggers Modern American Smokehouse or Bourbon and Bones.

DWC

Reaction score
To be frank I don't like much in Scottsdale. Not really my kind of crowd, lots of thirsty gold diggers and douchey dudes flaunting a bunch of fools gold, they are perfect for each other.

Best place I have found down there is Bootleggers Modern American Smokehouse or Bourbon and Bones.
Good thing i didn’t pack my gold chains. Steph doesn’t appreciate it when I go hunting for cougars. Looks like both are pretty close. I’ll check it out if we finish work at a decent hour.

77charger

Reaction score
Try having a 619 area code for your phone. People here in TN don't answer when I call. Have to leave a message and then they call back. They usually say sorry we don't answer CA calls. Thinking about changing my phone number, but have had it for so long.
I’m In same deal here in az have a 949 number. Have had it for 22 years

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Just pay for another # that rings onto your current number. I think its 10. a month with verizon. When you call out just dont release your calling number. Give out whatever number you want.

me…I have a 714 # i have had for 30 years or so

kurtis500

Reaction score
It used to be the Salt Cellar... before it closed. But its South Scottsdale, so if you are from out of state you will want to stay north of Thomas for sure. Some people almost consider it N. Tempe. Let's be real, you can go to a "Mastro's" type place anywhere in the country.
The Salt Cellar closed???😭 I looked at the website and it says its open. Did this just happen?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
The Salt Cellar closed???😭 I looked at the website and it says its open. Did this just happen?

Unfortunately, for the happy hour, it is closed unless you know the special secret message to get in... All others are allowed after the happy hour preferably 8 pm plus.

havasuhusker

Reaction score

The one on Broadway or Warner? The Warner one is close my house. My wife loves Pho, so will have to try it out.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
I though we might be friends then you went to far with the Cornish Pasty… it is closed!

But if you must go to the Cornish its located in Gilbert or Downtown Phoenix. There is not one in Tempe in a secret spot.

Next thing you know you are going to send them on a wild goose chase looking for Oysters…

There is a Cornish Patsy on Dobson and Guadalupe. In the plaza on the SE corner across the street from a good Mexican restaurant called Rositas.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
There is a Cornish Patsy on Dobson and Guadalupe. In the plaza on the SE corner across the street from a good Mexican restaurant called Rositas.

That is the one I mistakenly called the Gilbert location. I consider everything East of the 101 and south of the 60, Gilbert. That location is open and approved for newbies to go to....

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
@mesquito_creek I claim the downtown Cornish so y’all can have Tempe. The breakfast spot down there shall not be named...

Bootleggers is the real deal though.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
@mesquito_creek I claim the downtown Cornish so y’all can have Tempe. The breakfast spot down there shall not be named...

Bootleggers is the real deal though.

The Phoenix location is super interesting also, I like the 3 levels and all the eclectic stuff all over the place. The open windows etc downtown are fun. The tempe location that closed, re-did all the interior. They took out all the church benches and put in large cushy booths in their place. New chandeliers and wall covering etc.. I am not sure if I like it purely because I don't like change. But in the covid era I can see why all the church benches were not ideal compared to individual booths. They still serve church music though and the beer shop is walking distance for a second round of "the music".

All is forgiven if we understand there is no such breakfast spot... legs for days is all I can say on that one... definitely closed.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score

That's funny. We went to the pool store for some supplies and the manager was very nice. Set us up with an account and when we told him our phone number, he asked "where is 619 located"...my wife said "not telling" with a smile. LOL. Told him we are from CA and he got a big chuckle out of it. Nice folks. We joke about it a lot which seems to ease any tension or preconceived notions.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
It’s a very unique building indeed and they’re poised to double their space this year. The owners are really good guys who’ve helped me out in a pinch with keg/tap parts for the mobile bar. The least I can do is re-tip the cues a few times a year. Pro tip for the inmates: if you need good chalk just reach for the sky 😉

The old hallway on Hardy was a special place though. It’s good to see them continue to evolve even if I don’t like it.

I just might go have breakfast for lunch!

Mike K

Reaction score
Other states really do not like Californians and what they bring with them . That behavior is going on everywhere Californians migrate to. We have a place in Park City … to keep our California plated car from getting keyed or scratched from Utah residents … I have covered it with PC / Deer Valley / Brighton/ Burton ski decals all over the rear window. Hoping for the best . Seriously… things are getting outta control.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Other states really do not like Californians and what they bring with them . That behavior is going on everywhere Californians migrate to. We have a place in Park City … to keep our California plated car from getting keyed or scratched from Utah residents … I have covered it with PC / Deer Valley / Brighton/ Burton ski decals all over the rear window. Hoping for the best . Seriously… things are getting outta control.

Most have been guarded until they talk to us for a bit. Once they I say something like " San Diego was great, nice and conservative, but CA screwed it up". Then they open up more. Then when they know you are a Trump supporter it is all good.