WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Interior Stains

RichieRich

Reaction score
We picked up a boat recently and the interior looked perfect...once we got it to our house in Havasu, we used it for the weekend and everything was great.
We do the normal wipe down with Hot Sauce followed up with some Babes Wax(love this stuff) and a little Vinyl Sauce and park it in the garage uncovered waiting for our next trip.
Fast forward two weeks and we arrive late Friday night and the boat interior has all kinds of what looks like dark red almost black stains all over the seats. I was pissed but we took it out Saturday and within an hour they were all gone and the interior was bright white again.
Fast forward two weeks and we arrive late Friday night and the boat interior has all kinds of what looks like dark red almost black stains all over it. I was pissed but we took it out Saturday and within an hour they were all gone and the interior was bright white again.
Will this continue to happen forever or is there a fix for this other than replacing all of the interior?
Wish I had a pic of the interior with the stains to show, but I don't.
Any help will be appreciated. thanks
Rich
driver and passanger seats.jpg

Last edited:

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
If you are talking about the upholstery then you probably have a fungus that has in bedded itself into the material. Once out in the sun it bleaches out then you put it away and it has a opportunity to grow again. If you leave it out in direct sunlight long enough it will likely kill the fungus.

RichieRich

Reaction score
If you are talking about the upholstery then you probably have a fungus that has in bedded itself into the material. Once out in the sun it bleaches out then you put it away and it has a opportunity to grow again. If you leave it out in direct sunlight long enough it will likely kill the fungus.
freaking fungus! makes sense...we will be leaving it in a slip almost all next week so hopefully there will be time to kill it

fmo24

Reaction score
Try scrubbing bubbles followed up by a conditioner.

jetur

Reaction score
I use Tuff Stuff, works great.

airchair.rider

Reaction score
Had the same thing happen but only where the cover touched the seats. After it was out in the sun for a couple of hours it would return to white again.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Don’t bother with any cleaner, or magic eraser. You are wasting your time. Remember, a magic eraser is like 3000 grit sandpaper.

Just leaving it in the sun will remove the stains. It will keep happening every year, and worse in the summer.

Try a couple buckets of Damp Rid in the interior and the stains will be drastically reduced, or even eliminated. July-August seems to be the worst months as it is hot and a bit humid.

I have 3 small buckets of Damp Rid in my 23 foot boat. I store it with the ski lockers and engine hatch open so everything can dry out fully. Leaving a fan on in the garage can help too.

Putting the boat away wet and promptly leaving for weeks will make the stains come back darker because of the humidity of the wet boat in the hot garage. The quicker the boat can fully dry and you reduce the humidity in the garage, the better chance you will keep the stains from coming back.

You’ll be amazed how much water is in the bottom of the Damp Rid buckets after the boat sits in the garage a few days after you use it.

Last edited:

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Anything like this??

If so everyone is correct. Just let the sun do it thing, uncovered for a couple days and it will gone. Had the same problem and freakout last year lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200721-144849_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200721-144849_Photos.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 153

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I think it is mold that grows under the vinyl, on top of the foam. UV bleaches it out, but I don't think it kills the mold spores under the vinyl, which is why they can come back if they get damp again. A lot of boats get it.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Sun exposure is what to do first and maybe follow up with a product that does not affect the material or stitching.
Let's see some pixs of the the bote @RitcheyRch 👍

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Mold spores are almost impossible to kill. We’re talking autoclave shit at high temps and pressure. UV Will work just fine to kill active mold. Also, be sure to lay the cover in the sun inside out.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Bleach. Use carefully. And use a small hidden test spot first. Cover with something that will breathe and not lock moisture in the boat. You can also follow up with some product that takes moisture out of the environment.

guest hs

Reaction score
Don’t use anything except the sun! You will probably continue to have thus problem.

gqchris

Reaction score
Yup. My 2002 Warlock had it. I was told that a certain vinyl in those years was the culprit and it had a certain mold embedded. Same action. Would always bleach out duting the day sun. Kinda got used to it. Lol

77charger

Reaction score
Be careful with these as they are abrasive.
Exactly one of the worst things to use. Sure you can use vinyl conditioner after but the abrasive rubs the material away too.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Why not pull the seat covers and treat the issue?

FreeBird236

Reaction score
As was already stated, bleach can help, but keep it of the stitching it will weaken the thread.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Yup. My 2002 Warlock had it. I was told that a certain vinyl in those years was the culprit and it had a certain mold embedded. Same action. Would always bleach out duting the day sun. Kinda got used to it. Lol
Well mines on 03 warlock so that tracks lol. But I've only had it happen one time luckily.