WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Interstate 5 vs. Hwy 99

Brian

Reaction score
Went form So-Cal up to the Stockton area over the weekend via the 5 and the road was in terrible shape. Potholes and bumps most of the way, especially in the right lane (glad I wasn't towing). Half way into the trip started to wonder if the 99 is in better shape. I know its takes a bit longer to go that way, but would be worth it to me if the road was not so f'd up. Any inmates here travel that way regularly? If so which road is better?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Went form So-Cal up to the Stockton area over the weekend via the 5 and the road was in terrible shape. Potholes and bumps most of the way, especially in the right lane (glad I wasn't towing). Half way into the trip started to wonder if the 99 is in better shape. I know its takes a bit longer to go that way, but would be worth it to me if the road was not so f'd up. Any inmates here travel that way regularly? If so which road is better?

I don't recall if it is in better shape, but when I visit my mom in San Mateo, I always take the 99 then cut over to the 5.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Went to Stockton a few weeks back. Up on the 99, back on the 5.

The 99 was a great drive, road is in great shape, more "bigger" towns to stop in if needed, but did not move along as fast as the 5.

The 5 was in terrible shape, boring with very little to look at, but moved along at a fast pace.

My choice would be the 99 both ways next time.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score

Why didn't you take the new bullet train ? oh wait , it won't be around for another 30 years or so ...

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
99 all day everyday. the 5 is junk, road work going on doesn't help either.

Ain't that the truth. Heading back yesterday about 5 miles south of Lost Hills where they split the soutbound lanes I'm following about 6 bikers, everybody cruisin about 70, Lots of traffic but flowing really well. Crappy warning signs that the lanes are splitting. A couple bikes take the left lane a couple take the right lane. One guy got caught in limbo (due to a car wanting a different lane at the wrong time) and ended up hitting the soft gravel between the two. I'm literally talking out loud in my car. Oh shit, don't go down, don't go down. Well he went down right in front of us. Luckily he slid for a bit before he took a head over hills barrel roll. Slammed on the brakes and ran over to him, by time I got to him (maybe 15 seconds) he was already in a slow jog to his bike:thumbup: Needless to day he had some road rash on his leg and upper shoulder and arm but for what it could of been he was damn lucky.
The weirdest thing is how it all seemed to happen in slow motion.

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
99 has been a lifetime of great memories for me.Going to the High Sierras.Love that hwy.

oldschool

Reaction score
A few years ago I would say 5, but now they've completed enough of the construction on 99 to make it a lot better. My last trip up the 5 I thought it was going to knock the axles off the trailer.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
99 from Stockton to Bakersfield is a pretty good highway. 99 between Stockton and Sacramento is terrible. Lots of construction and mostly 2 lanes each direction.

mobldj

Reaction score
99 is better,lots of bugs but the trade off is stop in Visalia,its called buns and torts.owned by someone related to dick naugle,as in naugles.same food.macho combo burrito please with extra red sauce.theres your decision maker right there.lol

Vegaskeith

Reaction score
Went to Sacramento two weeks ago. Up 99 and back 5. Both are terrible! I would choose 5. 99 has a whole lot of traffic and construction.

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score
99. There has been more 3rd lanes opening up lately. Actually drove from Traver(Where the Bravo Farms that was mentioned earlier) and noticed that the third lane was open. Probably been a while but never paid attention. lol. If your traveling through Tulare area near a drinking time you can buy me a beer!:beer

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score
99 is better,lots of bugs but the trade off is stop in Visalia,its called buns and torts.owned by someone related to dick naugle,as in naugles.same food.macho combo burrito please with extra red sauce.theres your decision maker right there.lol

Been there once and must have ordered wrong! lol... always a line!

oldschool

Reaction score

You should try their egg and beef breakfast burrito, BT's is awesome.