WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Interviewing and Millennials

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Probably going to depend on the county.. but they ask you if you've ever done any drugs. If you say no and they see you had a weed card, you might get bounced.
This is why when we were using CBD with THC in it I always made my wife get it since they make you sign in. Didn't want somebody finding my name on a signin sheet.

poncho

Reaction score
One of my good friends Son is a 22 YO who is in his 3rd year of Maritime College. This summer he took a job with one of our friends working on a pile driver barge installing high end oceanfront docks. He learned knots, rigging and a ton of other stuff and picked it up with ease.
Kid kicked ass and worked every hour of OT he could. Dad is a dirt digger and when he wasn't doing that he was working with his Father.
He and his friends bought a brand new car trailer and buy junk cars and scrap them out, i figured it was to stay busy but they are actually making good money at it.

He was able to buy a few year old Mercedes AMG at the end of summer with his savings, already driving a nice Audi A4.

When i asked him if he had a FB account he said no Kids on there are retarded...his words.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
One of my good friends Son is a 22 YO who is in his 3rd year of Maritime College. This summer he took a job with one of our friends working on a pile driver barge installing high end oceanfront docks. He learned knots, rigging and a ton of other stuff and picked it up with ease.
Kid kicked ass and worked every hour of OT he could. Dad is a dirt digger and when he wasn't doing that he was working with his Father.
He and his friends bought a brand new car trailer and buy junk cars and scrap them out, i figured it was to stay busy but they are actually making good money at it.

He was able to buy a few year old Mercedes AMG at the end of summer with his savings, already driving a nice Audi A4.

When i asked him if he had a FB account he said no Kids on there are retarded...his words.

No kid under 25 is active on FB anymore, except maybe marketplace.

buck35

Reaction score
Shit maybe I should go job hunting .. But then I'd end working along side the dipshits if hired. 25 years industrial mech .

Dettom

Reaction score
Back in my previous career, I’d gotten calls from angry parents asking why I didn’t hire their kid.

We had kids show up for interviews...with their fucking parents.

We had parent call to try and renegotiate salaries after we hired their kids. Or to ask for raises for their kids.

We’ve had kids ask to make or take phone calls in their interviews.

People have lost their damn minds...I’m just glad that I don’t work in corporate anymore. Fuck that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jeezus. Kids showing up with their parents. We’re all fkn doomed..

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Fwiw I am a successful millennial. Lol

my government check comes like clockwork every two weeks

Ditto. Private sector on my end though. No 2 paychecks of mine are ever the same, I dont get medical benefits, and I don't have a pension. But I work my ass off and make a fair living.

Try dating or hanging out with people your own age (in Austin) when they all think you're an arrogant asshole who thinks he's better than them for busting his ass for the things he has and cherishes, and they had everything handed to them and dont give 2 shits about anything. They're not wrong though.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This entire thread actually scares the crap out of me and it's why at nearly 60yrs old I have been working double shifts at least 6 days a week for the last few years...I need some help, I would love to hire some help but with only a few working years left in me is it worth risking all I have built, bought and saved for absolutely not. It's a shame to me that all this knowledge will not be passed on, I have been involved with CAD since the inception of the PC and have used most every package out there, I have designed everything from the G3 CDMA base band processor (chip that runs G3 CDMA cell phone) to several research reactors for General Atomics and allot of the automated process equipment for HP to produce ink jet cartridges and was part of 4 man team that were the first to demonstrate over 500 tv channels over fiber which is why you now have VOD at home. 20 years ago retiring to Havasu to what I thought was going to be a slower pace of life, boy was I ever wrong about that LOL some 2000 homes later. but this is what saddens me it's not just me but many my age that will not be passing on their knowledge and experience because of what our society has produced. it's amazing to me the lack of work ethic out there and how many are just looking to get a free ride off someone(workers comp/unemployment/law suit). It scares me for our future and how are we to progress if work ethic, knowledge and skill sets are not passed down. I know everything I have learned over a lifetime is going to end up in grave with me :(
Your skillset is much more technology oriented than I can really understand. I was born into blue collar/ labor lifestyles. I had thought that people would want to learn your types of skills. I would have thought that before...and I only thought you did structural engineering or architecture...I had no idea of your technical background. For years, I've seen the old school machinists, tool&die guys, mechanics and metal workers, slowly go away. I'm 43, and try to learn from as many of the older guys as will share their knowledge. One of the smartest men I ever met used to say "You should learn something new every day." Hopefully my kids will learn some from me, and then expand their knowledge base as well.

DWC

Reaction score
Probably going to depend on the county.. but they ask you if you've ever done any drugs. If you say no and they see you had a weed card, you might get bounced.
Ever? Asking for a friend.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Ever? Asking for a friend.

Well every county is different. Unless your friend got a weed card or had some drug related charge in the past, make like Nancy Reagan and just say no.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Your skillset is much more technology oriented than I can really understand. I was born into blue collar/ labor lifestyles. I had thought that people would want to learn your types of skills. I would have thought that before...and I only thought you did structural engineering or architecture...I had no idea of your technical background. For years, I've seen the old school machinists, tool&die guys, mechanics and metal workers, slowly go away. I'm 43, and try to learn from as many of the older guys as will share their knowledge. One of the smartest men I ever met used to say "You should learn something new every day." Hopefully my kids will learn some from me, and then expand their knowledge base as well.

My first mentor used to say constantly : "If you did not learn something new today, you were not paying close enough attention."

rrrr

Reaction score
Friday is my grandson's 13th birthday. I try not to think about what the world will be like when he's 23. His dad, my 37 year old son, is a complete fuckup and has never tried to do much of anything. I quit talking to him years ago.

My grandson's mom, thank God, is a wonderful parent, and she has done a great job of raising him. Her fiance is a fantastic guy. I'm hoping that they can keep him on the right path.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Mine used to tell me, "If you fuck it up you're paying for it." while paying me $8/hr. It was very much a trial by fire enviroment

"LETMETELLYOUSOMTHING!" Full Fire Marshal Bill....

2nd year as an apprentice, working on a mid 80's six cylinder dodge with the famous "missing carb screws"...they rattle loose and fall into the intake and rest there....unless you punch it. Leaking carb rebuild, grab a screw from the "o-shit box" and start it up....snapped the throttle a few times to get it off high idle and Bam!CLANK! CRUNCH!

Shut it off, sure as shit there is a screw imbedded in the piston of #3. Bent the shit out of the intake valve. Worked a few nights till midnight a few days in a row to crack out the head removal and valve job. Mentor watched the whole time, I learned more that weekend than in 6 months training on day to day stuff.

Still have that fucking valve on my desk to remind me that I will never know everything...but I can fix it.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I saw a guy come in for flange scraper and mold waxer position.
Use a putty knife to scrape dry gelcoat off the flange. Use a blower on an airline to blow the shit out of the mold. Wax the mold. Wax on, wax off. Simple shit.
He left for lunch the first day and never came back.

Saw a guy apply himself for one week as an assembly guy and helping place materials for vacuum infusion. Infusion is about 50x more clean than an old school wet layup.
He quit after a week. “It’s too dirty” 🤔
Pussy!!😂
For every 5 to 9 that come through, one guy might stick.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
When I was still in CA, I was rebuilding a Mikuni SBN on a seadoo RXP. I think it was a 989 Rotax. I cleaned it up good and everything was great. I reassembled everything including the airbox and fired her up. I suddenly realized that I used the wrong pop off spring when the engine ran away to 15,000 rpms and wouldnt shut down. That 2 stroke had a self feeding fire caused by a lean condition from my wrong pop off spring. A true run away.. Boss man came flying OVER the 8ft fence and quickly closed off the fuel at the mixture needles with his bare hands before the engine blew. I was damn certain I was buying an engine that day.

To this day, I have never fired up an engine that I've done carb work on without quick access to the air intake and something near by to shove in it to choke off the air flow just in case. Ive also paid extreme attention to the color of the pop springs on every BN I've ever touched since then as well

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
My son was a lot like those mentioned here. I tried and tired to teach him to work hard. Just couldn't get him to do it. Cut his allowance at 13. Told him if he wants money then ask and I would give him a job to do. He rarely asked but when he did it would take him forever. It helped when he got his license and need gas money. Worked at subway and a few other places, got fired for not showing up.

Only thing that has worked is the Marine Corp. Wish all kids had to do a couple of years right out of high school.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
My Buddy 'Sam' Retired LAPD told me recently, " In our oral interviews we used to ask, 'Have you ever smoked marijuana'? . . . then it went to 'how many times have you smoked marijuana'? . . . . then it went to 'Did you smoke marijuana before you came here today' . . . . we was kidding . . . sort of. Said they DID have one candidate come in for his interview reeking of pot. Unbelieveable.

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
I was lucky not many had 1k's hours of CAD/CAM skills both in electronics and mechanical in the 80's & 90's and through a great headhunter I was able to pick and choose what jobs interested me, it allowed me to be exposed to and learn a very diverse skill set usually from the slide rule generation of engineers who passed on their experience to me and those were the jobs I sought out the ones that could teach me something and add to my skill set, it was far more about WHO I thought I met in a interview could teach me something then the wage's or company, I still do that today my neighbor is a world class coach builder and has won pebble beach many times he only works for the big names/stars in cars and yea you bet for 15yrs now I am there once a week to work a shift and learn from him and I can now make a 556 Porsche body from a sheet of alu and it's the skill set I am most proud to have had the opportunity to learn.
My very first boss set my work ethic with two pieces of advice, that I think the upcoming generations need to have ingrained into them
1) I was being lazy one day and he looks me straight in the eye and said "Karl if both hands aren't moving you ain't working" that is stuck in my head 40yrs later as clear as the day he said it, Translation: fair days work for a fair days pay
2) when he promoted me to production manager of close to 600 people, He said "Karl a good manager does not need to know the information he needs to know where to get it and how to use it", Translation: know your resources, know the people around you and their skills.
RDP is one of the best resources EVER there is a huge a widely diverse talent pool here that cover's just about every aspect of life and knowing who does what on this board is a very valuable skill set ;)

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Starting out in my teens, I was always comfortable around older people and as I got older, I looked forward hanging with people that were 20 years my senior.
I learned so much, so quickly, that has benefited me my entire life. So, now I’m the old guy and love hanging around with people older and younger.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Here's been my experience lately on the other side. Sent an email to Performance Paving with my resume and a few pictures of work I've done. Been a week and nothing. Applied in person at Knochel Brothers. Paving superintendent called me the next day. Explained there's 3 divisions and they just show up and pave. Told him I can do paving, concrete, and grading. Asked if I can come in and interview. Told me to call the office. Called the office and the lady told me I told the superintendent I wasn't interested in working for them. That wasn't true. I just want an in person interview so they can interview me and vise versa.

Warlock1

Reaction score
The biggest issue with the weed cards and guns is filling out your 4473 when buying from a dealer. Question 21E. references the use of controlled substances, since it is a federal form and weed is still federally legal, answering yes precludes you from buying, answering no with a weed card is lying on a federal form.
There are a lot of legal controlled substances. Any schedule 2 drugs, Oxycodone, Methadone, Oxycontin, and even cocaine is used by eye Doctors to make a paste for certain eye procedures. Not sure if this would keep you from buying as I haven't bought a gun recently. Also just because someone has a card doesn't necessarily mean they partake either. I know someone that has a card but only for job protection as he uses weed only a few times a year for pain due to a condition he has.

blefever

Reaction score
Hired one once.....didn't like it. He was a commissioned sales guy with good base pay and benefits. He kept asking for a raise! My reply was always "You're a commissioned sales guy..........SELL MORE" He never got it until he got fired. He asked for his job back 3 times. lol
baby.jpe

Your ad here

Reaction score
Anyone go to an interview and a minute in both know this isn't what their looking for but still shoot the shit for 45 minutes just unwinding their frustrations? I had one like that awhile ago.

Still haven't heard from the two I mentioned earlier, even sending a whiney follow up email to one. Did get an onsite interview running a skip loader for 2 hours pretty much unsupervised. They wanted me but passed as they appear understaffed and unorganized. Called an old lead from a year ago and got a response. Curious as how this will go.

Justfishing

Reaction score
Same experience I had when involved in the hiring process for Deputy sheriff in the late 90's-early 2000's.
I was dealing with the egg and sperm donors of the people you are seeing in your pipeline.
The "parents" of your candidates.
Let that sink in, LOL.
They, too were clueless, and many had no idea exactly what a deputy sheriff was responsible for. Some hadn't even read the damn job description past the benefit package, and would walk into an oral interview where we were going to put them in a place to examine their thought process asking if they "would really have to work nights and weekends...and holidays...really, well...well I can't do that sorry"
State average was 1 in 100 that we could test, background, physical and shrink, then academy and FTO and get out the door a 18 months later as a solo deputy.

My 25 year old son is in a similar boat as you.
He manages a team of about 29-32 adults who are skilled blue collar guys with technical training that go into peoples homes . They drive company vehicles. Less than 50% will show up for the drug test, and just over half of those will pass. This is a job that starts at 20 an hour and they can make serious $ bonus by just working a little harder, he will train a person with the right aptitude and they are always down 3-4 positions, at a minimum.

People don't want jobs. They want a position, for which they will receive a fat check. This is what has come from fixing it so kids can't work someplace for a minimum wage that an employer can afford and learn what working is all about, what 15 and hour minimum wage is doing to the work force. There are no jobs for kids to learn about working anymore because emplyers can't afford to pay kids what they have to pay. They need adults, but those are few and far between as well.
My son is a cop. He had worked as a prision guard and just before he turned 21 was hired. A sergent drove 4 hours to interview us. He walked the neighborhood talking to neighbors. The sergent said it was the only time he hasnt had anyone say something bad about an applicant of course i had to bite my tongue as he is no saint. There are good kids out there. He works a ton of hours and his wife is an emergency room nurse.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Drove the vette to a nice restaurant recently with my wife for some out door patio dinning. It took the valet folks a couple of minutes to find someone who knew how to drive a manual.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Drove the vette to a nice restaurant recently with my wife for some out door patio dinning. It took the valet folks a couple of minutes to find someone who knew how to drive a manual.
About 20 years ago me and a buddy jumped into his 31 coupe, and went to "Fashion Island" I think it was called. I told him to pull up to the valet, I pay for it. The car had 6 two's, a LaSalle tranny, chopped and channeled with weed burner pipes.

Yep, it was right where we left it buy the curbside kiosk 😂