WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Investment ideas with 100k…

Blown Lavey

Mid week boating anyone..
Reaction score
So I have a 100k I need to invest. I already max out my 401/457 plans and have defined pension benefits plan for retirement. I would like to see a decent ROI vs the crap the bank is returning. What’s the investment consensus’s with this amount? I have thought of paying off a family members home( about 95k with a value of 600k) then they would pay me back. The return would only be about 2.4 percent so not that great of a return. Any thoughts on investments other than stock market which I have a lot of exposure to already with my 401/457 ?

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I literally just put $100k in Wealthfront today as I’m sick of the garbage returns from savings. I’ve have some pretty good success with robo advisors in the past. This will be 1/3 of my downpayment on a house in 11 months.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Had friends with decent success using Wealthfront.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Buy me a Magic Deckboat with 525 or 600. I will use it 10 weekends a year for 5 years, ceramic coat it, get regular service, and store it inside.

In 5 years time, it will easily be worth $150k.

Boom, that's 8%+ annually!

Well, this is all based on short term COVID 2020 trends but hey big risk, big reward... am I right? 😁

ssc

Reaction score
S&P 500 fund and forget about it. A couple of years ago, I had an extra $90,000 in a savings account. Put it in a S&P fund and it is worth 152,000 today. Warren Buffet has always said to put money into S&P 500. Tells his investors they don't need him and just go S&P 500. According to an interview I saw, he has told his wife the same thing. Got another $100,000 sitting in saving accounts. I will transfer it over to one of my S&P funds in a few.

Cheers, Steve

WildHorses24

Reaction score
S&P 500 fund and forget about it. A couple of years ago, I had an extra $90,000 in a savings account. Put it in a S&P fund and it is worth 152,000 today. Warren Buffet has always said to put money into S&P 500. Tells his investors they don't need him and just go S&P 500. According to an interview I saw, he has told his wife the same thing. Got another $100,000 sitting in saving accounts. I will transfer it over to one of my S&P funds in a few.

Cheers, Steve

He did bet a hedge fund manager $1 million on it![emoji6]
IMG_7234.png

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I said this before in another thread.. My old man taught me how to make money, but he never taught me what to do with it once you have it.

I'd be very interested in learning more, on what to do with money to make it make you money..

One of the best things I did awhile back was buy a lot down in Residential Estates.. I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it because we were going to build a house on it. When we got more into it I realized the lot was going to be large enough for my sanford and sons program so we sold it.. Made 30K in a couple of months!

Now I look back over the last couple of years, and I really wish I woulda bought a ton of Real Estate and flipped it. I actually feel very foolish that we didn't.. Especially since we were the brokers of a lot of these flips for the rdp members, all of whom came out waaaayyy ahead.

RD

Xring01

Reaction score
My advice would be the stock market…
Why… “You Cant Beat the Fed”, this is not a phrase I created. It was created by Wallstreet.

What does that mean. When the government is spending trillions to prop up the economy. The stock market goes on a record bull run…. LITERALLY…. This is a key reason why the markets have done so good for so long. Since 1997 ish… Combine that with Democrats wanting to hold power in the next election cycle means, they will do everything in there power to keep stock market green, housing market green, un employment lower. Because if they dont, then likely hood of them keeping the House and the Presidents office gets alot harder.

Politically the markets will most likely be green, combine that with Gov passing trillion dollar CV bills, Trillion dollar infrastructure deals, then the markets will continue to go in the same direction. UP UP UP.

A safe bet would be the S&P 500, or there are many many many other choices in ETF’s, Mutual Funds etc.

A few things to keep an eye on if you are exposed to the markets.
Wars, & Inflation, we keep those in check… you will print $$$. If you see signs of war/inflation, reduce you risk, sell you holdings, and sit on cash for bit. Hopefully it drops like rock, then buy back in lower.

I like to swing trade stocks in my cash trading acounts. I have alot of $$$ in the S&P 500 in my retirement accounts, I have for over 20 years.

But thats my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssc

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My advice would be the stock market…
Why… “You Cant Beat the Fed”, this is not a phrase I created. It was created by Wallstreet.

What does that mean. When the government is spending trillions to prop up the economy. The stock market goes on a record bull run…. LITERALLY…. This is a key reason why the markets have done so good for so long. Since 1997 ish…

As long as we keep passing trillion dollar CV bills, Trillion dollar infrastructure deals, then the markets will continue to go in the same direction. A safe bet would be the S&P 500, or there are many many many other choices in ETF’s, Mutual Funds etc.

A few things to keep an eye on if you are exposed to the markets.
Wars, & Inflation, we keep those in check… you will print $$$.

I like to swing trade stocks in my cash trading acounts. I have alot of $$$ in the S&P 500 in my retirement accounts, I have for over 20 years.

But thats my opinion.

I tried this... I watched all these guys on rdp saying "made all this money on this stock" for awhile and decided to jump in with both feet.. I figured everyone was talking about those cryptocurrencies so we bought some. I quickly learned how to take 20K and turn it into 12.. It's still sitting at 12. :(

RD

Meaney77

Reaction score
I literally just put $100k in Wealthfront today as I’m sick of the garbage returns from savings. I’ve have some pretty good success with robo advisors in the past. This will be 1/3 of my downpayment on a house in 11 months.
Had friends with decent success using Wealthfront.

What is Wealthfront, and how does it work?

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
I tried this... I watched all these guys on rdp saying "made all this money on this stock" for awhile and decided to jump in with both feet.. I figured everyone was talking about those cryptocurrencies so we bought some. I quickly learned how to take 20K and turn it into 12.. It's still sitting at 12. :(

RD
Is that on DOGE Dave? Seems like the other cryptos are recovering.

Xring01

Reaction score

RD

You didnt read anything I posted about Cryptos, or AMC/GME as investments. You may have read about me day trading them. I do not recommend hype / meme stocks as investments. I do my best to talk people away from them.

I do day trade them, when I say that, I am normally in/out with in 15 minutes, sometimes faster.

THOSE ARE NOT INVESTMENTS… THOSE ARE TRADES..

Investments are S&P 500, AAPL, BA, AMZN, JNJ, COST, AAP, ORLY, LOW, HD… I can keep going….

I like to Swing Trade these types of stocks that have a proven track record of upward 6-12month trend. I do my best to buy them on pull backs and sell them on the way back up. Its a strategy that has been workign well for me. But it does take time. It does take research.

If you dont take the time and do the homework of how to trade. Literally hours per day on youtube learning about charts, support levels, moving averages, etc etc, And reseach each Symbol before you trade it, and create a trading plan… THen you can very easily turn $20K into $12k…

I do my homework on every stock, I have a trade plan on every purchase… Look at my posts on the 2021 Stock market thread. I do my best to show everyone on there why I do what I do, when purchase, what I am looking for and when I am selling. I dont have the time like I used to to continuely update that thread. But there is alot of great info that I have posted there.

If you dont have the time for all the educational stuff/research. Then S&P 500 or a ETF of your choice typically gets the job done. Not as profitable as doing your own research. But still makes good $$$…

The first shares of the S&P 500 I every bought where 23 years ago. When my son was born. I still have those shares and add to them every month…. For 23 years.

samsah33

Reaction score
I assume your high interest debt is all paid. If you've got all the markets covered with your retirement options, then you'll need to move into private investments. You could consider partnering with one or more hard money lenders and provide them with some capital to loan out. Could specify that you want to spread that out over a couple hard money loans in order to diversify.

On your family members loan - why loan them the $ and get a crappy interest rate and allow them to reap the gains? Consider buying a fractional portion of their house so that you can share in the appreciation as well. Could do something creative like have the family member drop the house into an LLC and then sell you 1/6 of the membership interests in the LLC, that way it would be easier to transfer or redeem your interests based on the FMV of the house.

Talk to friends and family, there's plenty of good business ideas out there looking for funding. Could provide debt or equity financing. Kinda like a Shark Tank thing.

Above are risky and it sounds like you have retirement covered with your 401/457 and defined benefit plans and you could tolerate some risk. Good luck, let us know what you decide, we all want a piece of it as well!

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I would follow Xring's advice. To make $$ on an investment you need to take on a certain amount of risk, but the more risk you take on the more likely you are to lose money.

If you don't have a specific need or timeframe for the $$, put it in the INVESTMENTS that Xring listed and leave it alone. The market goes up and down, but over the log run it tends to go up more than down. Don't try to time the market, just get the $$ in and leave it alone. If/when there is a downturn, don't pull your $$ out because then you will have locked in your losses. Make sure that you can stomache a "paper" loss but stay the course and in 10+ years you should be in good shape.

wash11

Reaction score
Am I the only one a little spooked to invest in the market currently? Dow is over 35000 with some possible goofy times ahead of us. Just feels like i'd be buying a house in 2006 all over again.

Xring01

Reaction score
Am I the only one a little spooked to invest in the market currently? Dow is over 35000 with some possible goofy times ahead of us. Just feels like i'd be buying a house in 2006 all over again.

I would agree with you, if the government wasnt spending TRILLIONS..... When the governments spends that kind of money. It allows big publicly traded company's confidence and money to expand operations. Which creates jobs. Which creates more cashflow between business's. Small business feed the big business, but they grow into larger business's. Manufacturing plants can keep up with demand, so they expand. On and On and On... now we need to build a new school, grocery store, wallmart...

To shorten this story it kicks the economy in the ASS to move... and it moves... un employment falls, $$$ flows, housing prices go up and so does the stock market. The same companys that made those investments are now more profitable, meeting wallstreet targets, spurring the markets higher. Self fulfilling $$$ creates $$$...

I dont bet against the Fed. I learned that lesson the hard way. I have learned... This is the easy money right now.

THE KEY THING TO NOTE.... When the Fed quits propping the economy, then we will know where we stand... Until then, My money is invested in the markets. The moment they stop, I will change my risk profile to bonds in my 401K type accounts, and cash in my cash accounts.

Again... I am just one asshole with a set of opinions... Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. Because its your $$$ on the line...

So please don't blindly follow my advice or anyone's advice... Gather as much info as you can and make the right decision for you and your family.

Last edited:

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I said this before in another thread.. My old man taught me how to make money, but he never taught me what to do with it once you have it.

I'd be very interested in learning more, on what to do with money to make it make you money..

One of the best things I did awhile back was buy a lot down in Residential Estates.. I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it because we were going to build a house on it. When we got more into it I realized the lot was going to be large enough for my sanford and sons program so we sold it.. Made 30K in a couple of months!

Now I look back over the last couple of years, and I really wish I woulda bought a ton of Real Estate and flipped it. I actually feel very foolish that we didn't.. Especially since we were the brokers of a lot of these flips for the rdp members, all of whom came out waaaayyy ahead.

RD

We should build a car wash together. I'm serious. Call me.

Blubyu

Reaction score
My wife is the director of asset management for Rise 48. Know a lot of people who have parked money with them and the returns have been YUGEEEE.

If you want to chat, let me know, I’ll get you her information. Link to the company is below. It’s multi family real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
You didnt read anything I posted about Cryptos, or AMC/GME as investments. You may have read about me day trading them. I do not recommend hype / meme stocks as investments. I do my best to talk people away from them.

I do day trade them, when I say that, I am normally in/out with in 15 minutes, sometimes faster.

THOSE ARE NOT INVESTMENTS… THOSE ARE TRADES..

Investments are S&P 500, AAPL, BA, AMZN, JNJ, COST, AAP, ORLY, LOW, HD… I can keep going….

I like to Swing Trade these types of stocks that have a proven track record of upward 6-12month trend. I do my best to buy them on pull backs and sell them on the way back up. Its a strategy that has been workign well for me. But it does take time. It does take research.

If you dont take the time and do the homework of how to trade. Literally hours per day on youtube learning about charts, support levels, moving averages, etc etc, And reseach each Symbol before you trade it, and create a trading plan… THen you can very easily turn $20K into $12k…

I do my homework on every stock, I have a trade plan on every purchase… Look at my posts on the 2021 Stock market thread. I do my best to show everyone on there why I do what I do, when purchase, what I am looking for and when I am selling. I dont have the time like I used to to continuely update that thread. But there is alot of great info that I have posted there.

If you dont have the time for all the educational stuff/research. Then S&P 500 or a ETF of your choice typically gets the job done. Not as profitable as doing your own research. But still makes good $$$…

The first shares of the S&P 500 I every bought where 23 years ago. When my son was born. I still have those shares and add to them every month…. For 23 years.
Do you hold Tesla? Biggest meme stock there is.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Easy peasy, invest in a struggling boat business J/K......... 👍
Following this also, gotta move some bux around in the future.

Reactions: DWC

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
What is Wealthfront, and how does it work?
It’s a Robo advisor. Betterment is another one but they went full BLM so I pulled my money even though it was doing well for several years. You select your risk profile and they invest the money for you for a small fee. Wealthfront and Betterment also have tax loss harvesting to help with the tax bill. Very easy. Watch a few Youtube vids for reviews. Vanguard has one as well, but no tax loss harvesting.

2Driver

Reaction score
Ive been doing private money lending for 15 years, its between 8-11%. I takes a little involvement but not much, especially if a broker handles most of it.

I know you have a bunch of stock but, it sounds like you dont need the money anytime soon. Id pick 5 ETFs that fit your goals and wait for an entry point or even dollar cost in over a couple entry points.

SCHD pays almost 3% dividend and you have the upside growth on top of that. Preffered stock is another route if you just want income. Preferred stock just kicks out dividends, I bought a bunch of public storage this morning and it pays a dividend of 4%. The stock works more like bonds with a par value of $25 and a payoff of $25. In the meantime you make 4%. They can drop a bit if rates rise but they always have a par value of $25 . You can also buy a preferred fund like stonebridge where they manage a bunch of preffereds. So far this year the dividend has been north of 5%.

Last edited:

BingerFang

Reaction score
It’s a Robo advisor. Betterment is another one but they went full BLM so I pulled my money even though it was doing well for several years. You select your risk profile and they invest the money for you for a small fee. Wealthfront and Betterment also have tax loss harvesting to help with the tax bill. Very easy. Watch a few Youtube vids for reviews. Vanguard has one as well, but no tax loss harvesting.

I wonder is Schwab’s intelligent advisor is up to par with Wealthfront. I already have a schwab account for IRA so that’s why I’m wondering.

2Driver

Reaction score
I wonder is Schwab’s intelligent advisor is up to par with Wealthfront. I already have a schwab account for IRA so that’s why I’m wondering.

I use schwab streetsmart edge trading platform. It is awesome along with my general account for wading through opportunities that fit my criteria and goals. Im far from experienced but these 2 products are awesome.

I got an email alert today on a new issue of preffereds, that’s how I got them, They sold out in an hour.

DWC

Reaction score
I thought about this years ago. The inmates talked me out of it.
I thought we had an inmate that has one. Hoping he sees this and jumps in. I had a couple friends that had one. They made really good money (cash!) but it was a lot of work and they both made a shitload in their full time jobs. Keeping everything in working order and collecting the cash was more of a pain than it was worth.

Blown Lavey

Mid week boating anyone..
Reaction score
If you have any debt over lets say 6% I might consider locking it in by paying it down.... wouldn't even think twice if I had any debt in the 8+ % ...
No debt, house is paid, cars paid, 0 kids., Only real bummer is boat-less at this point, but that will change over the winter I’m sure. Dont really want to buy another home at this point with these elevated prices. May do the SP fund, but I have 7 figure exposure with both my 401/457 that I’m shoving 39k a year at. The Rdp brain trust has vast pool of knowledge so I’m looking to see what others might advise that I might have missed.

hallett21

Reaction score
No debt, house is paid, cars paid, 0 kids., Only real bummer is boat-less at this point, but that will change over the winter I’m sure. Dont really want to buy another home at this point with these elevated prices. May do the SP fund, but I have 7 figure exposure with both my 401/457 that I’m shoving 39k a year at. The Rdp brain trust has vast pool of knowledge so I’m looking to see what others might advise that I might have missed.

I may have missed it. Is this a 1 year, 5 year, 10+ year play?

I like real estate but not sure you’re looking to add debt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wash11

Reaction score
Fuck yeah. That's an amazing place to be.

Xring01

Reaction score
crypto currency and NFT's are the future. Which ones to buy now I don't know.

I would never say that Crypto is the future.
Why, because its not in the best interest for any government. Especially socialist and communist governments.
I believe that once Cryptos get to a point they get close to challenging any governments currency. Then you will see regulations that basicallly prevent them from buying goods/services in that country.

Remember, Crypto was not designed to be an investment. It was designed to be a currency.
What good is a currency, if you cant buy goods and services.

I think regulations will prevent Cryptos from truly taking off.

Or the chinese will do what they always do. Create a China Government Crypto that they control/tax/track, make that one mandatory if you choose to use Crypto.

Can money be made from the investment standpoint... absolutely, but it can also be lost just as easily if anything that I have mentioned above comes to fruition.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
so many variables, but at least you did say you weren't interested in a deeper pool in the markets.

TO do this properly, it would mean a lot of back and forth about your personal risk appetite, your commitment to nurturing the investment (your work input), and the expectations, timelines, and how much a percentage of your personal wealth is represented by the $100k. (Edit: I now see you are into 7 fig...'grats!)

You can probably ruminate about those while I make one suggestion that has not been mentioned. A Roth IRA conversion of existing assets is probably a good move at some point, and starting one ASAP would be a great benefit.

A Roth IRA can be tapped any time after the fifth year after its inception, with no tax on any gains/income from the account after 5 years and one day

Traditional IRAs will always be taxed as income, so if you seem to have this excess $100k around, it would be advantageous to make some small conversion right away, by using it to either fund the max $6k into a new Roth and/or to pay the taxes on a Roth conversion from your Trad IRA.

Doing this will start the clock on the Roth account, then 5 years from now anything you put in and gain or collect as income from the Roth assets is tax free.

A Roth IRA can be self directed as well, so if you are investing in real estate, you can structure a RE Roth IRA by deeding the property in the name of the IRA. You will need to be able to support and nourish the RE asset so some amount of work product from you will be necessary. Money you spend on the RE Roth asset is considered part of contributions to the Roth, so be careful about not exceeding annual contribution limits...you may get onto a Trad IRA conversion loop supporting RE assets in a RE Roth IRA.

Likewise, anything with value that can be traded or sold can be deeded into a Roth. Most people just convert some of their existing assets from their existing traditional IRA into the Roth account.

The most efficient trick is to wait for an asset you truly believe in to temporarily drop in value, say after a bad quarter, then make the conversion from Trad IRA to Roth on that asset while its market price is depressed. This minimizes the tax paid on those 'deferred wages'.

I did this with some Eli Lilly shares in 2016 when the price dropped because one of their clinical trials got a bad P value. Bought (converted) LLY at $69 in 11/2016, now it is at ~$269. Extra bonus: LLY is a dividend aristocrat, so those shares have been generating income as well.

Also did it in a big way with another holding in March 2020, when the pandemic temporarily depressed values far below my own judgement of their true worth. Those March 2020 shares I converted have tripled in value.

The key in this strategy is maintenance of your long term goal pursuit, and seizing opportunities that arise,

...and being able to wait, ...having patience and diligence.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

boatnam2

Reaction score
Brandon Warner (Edward jones) in LHC has made us (my family) a lot of money over the years. He's one of few investment guys I trust..

Outside of that Multi-family RE is where we make our money. It's cheaper than you think to get into it.
What's cheaper look like?