WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Investment ideas with 100k…

badgas

Reaction score
So I have a 100k I need to invest. I already max out my 401/457 plans and have defined pension benefits plan for retirement. I would like to see a decent ROI vs the crap the bank is returning. What’s the investment consensus’s with this amount? I have thought of paying off a family members home( about 95k with a value of 600k) then they would pay me back. The return would only be about 2.4 percent so not that great of a return. Any thoughts on investments other than stock market which I have a lot of exposure to already with my 401/457 ?

Is your home paid off ?

do you have car or boat payments ?

I would erase any debt to make sure no banks are making interest off you first.

If you dont have debt, do you own rental real estate ?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
No debt, house is paid, cars paid, 0 kids., Only real bummer is boat-less at this point, but that will change over the winter I’m sure. Dont really want to buy another home at this point with these elevated prices. May do the SP fund, but I have 7 figure exposure with both my 401/457 that I’m shoving 39k a year at. The Rdp brain trust has vast pool of knowledge so I’m looking to see what others might advise that I might have missed.

so basically you are putting on a financial clinic for RDP…. If you dont want to take on more equities like etfs or index funds and don’t want to be a landlord. Raw land or empty lots make for maintenance free real estate and you don’t have to spend your free time fixing toilets. Turtle always beats the hare!

Blown Lavey

Mid week boating anyone..
Reaction score
Am I the only one a little spooked to invest in the market currently? Dow is over 35000 with some possible goofy times ahead of us. Just feels like i'd be buying a house in 2006 all over again.
That’s how I feel about the market as well
I’m just hoping if i ever get to 7 figures I won’t be needing financial advice from rdp anymore
I’m just hoping if i ever get to 7 figures I won’t be needing financial advice from rdp anymore
Vic,
Let me put it to you another way, I’m 48 with 0 debt, and will I retire at 55. One thing I have learned is that there are always people that are more educated than oneself about wealth management. We come here to share and educate ourselves, and by asking questions it may open one’s eye, whether myself or someone else.

traquer

Reaction score
I'd say land. But that's about as illiquid as it gets. But you can always sell it when you retire and use it to start some sort of fun hobby business.

Reactions: DWC

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

Vic,
Let me put it to you another way, I’m 48 with 0 debt, and will I retire at 55. One thing I have learned is that there are always people that are more educated than oneself about wealth management. We come here to share and educate ourselves, and by asking questions it may open one’s eye, whether myself or someone else.
I agree that this place is a wealth of knowledge. Maybe we see things different because I don’t see myself ever getting to that point. If I do I hope I won’t be working or worrying about how to make more. Just goes to show the diversity this place has. It’s pretty awesome am honestly

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Thinking more about it it also shows why people that hit the lotto go broke. So you actually in fact did open my eyes because now I’m really thinking about this

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
I don’t see myself ever getting to that point
dammit.
I do not know any other way to put this: never do this to yourself. I hardly know you and it bugs me that you are resigning.
dammit.
Besides, in the end, it is really only numbers on paper that we all trade for physical stuff.
its not really happiness, ...not really.

badgas

Reaction score

Vic,

Sorry I missed this part. Since you are debt free and don't want any more stock market exposure $100K is not likely getting you a rental house. Maybe it is i'm not sure where you call home. You could buy a lot like others have said but there is always risk that it could correct just like the market.

Sounds like you are very wise 👍

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
dammit.
I do not know any other way to put this: never do this to yourself. I hardly know you and it bugs me that you are resigning.
dammit.
Besides, in the end, it is really only numbers on paper that we all trade for physical stuff.
I know it’s not happiness that was kind of my point. If I had 7 figures I’d hope to not be on rdp posting but in the ocean somewhere alone with my wife not worried about the rest of the world. Dreams I guess I dunno. Good problems to have

Xring01

Reaction score
dammit.
dammit.

I do all of this for my future, family’s future.
The faster I can achieve the goals, the faster I can retire.
If can retire, and choose to work longer, just means more for my family when I am gone.

cofooter

Reaction score
Is your home paid off ?

Not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but if you had $100K in the bank and a $100K mortgage at say 3% and a tax write off to get 1/3 of that back, but could make say 4%+ in an investment, why pay off the mortgage? I am in a similar dilemna.........

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Our families are looking into “set it and forget it” services. Laundromats, car washes, jumper rentals, marg machine rentals etc. One of our friends that’s pooling in with us, is an engineer for Ventura fire and suggested buying water trucks and bidding on gov contracts as water tenders through the state. There’s stupid money being made on those contracts…..

Last edited:

Blown Lavey

Mid week boating anyone..
Reaction score
Our families are looking into “set it and forget it” services. Laundromats, car washes, jumper rentals, marg machine rentals etc. One of our friends that’s pooling in with us that’s an engineer for Ventura fire even suggested buying water trucks and bidding on gov contracts as water tenders through the state. There’s stupid money being made on those contracts
That’s along the lines I’m contemplating as well, although the buy in is so much higher now. I have a good friend that owns 2 coin wash places and he’s making a real nice nut in cash, after his note. My stupidity and my ex wife kept me from investing in them with him when he needed a partner. Kick myself in the ass for that move.

badgas

Reaction score
Not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but if you had $100K in the bank and a $100K mortgage at say 3% and a tax write off to get 1/3 of that back, but could make say 4%+ in an investment, why pay off the mortgage? I am in a similar dilemna.........

Assuming you are one of the 30% of Amercians that itemize thier taxes and take the deduction you can factor that in. Let's say you are paying the bank $10K in interest and your combined tax rate is 40%. You give a bank $10K to keep from giving the Gov $4K You are still buying that exemption.

What if the market corrects for a few years and you dont make the spread ? Risk is missing from the discussion, if the real estate it paid off you lose the risk or worry about market fluctuaion. Get the house paid off and I promise you will not get nearly as emotional about your stock investments when they dip. You will not hate being debt free.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
…..but there’s money to be made regardless. Our neighbor dropped 4 bills on a marg machine rental. Couple of average dudes showed up in their half ton pickup towing a little 12’ enclosed trailer completely loaded with 7/11 style icee machines. All they did was drop them off, and pick them up later that night…..talk about easy money

97D6984A-C47D-4F7C-9C36-C28C82A8D921.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Is your home paid off ?

even with the low interest rates?

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Would you borrow $100k at 3% to invest it at 4%?

socalrzr

Reaction score
Buy me a Magic Deckboat with 525 or 600. I will use it 10 weekends a year for 5 years, ceramic coat it, get regular service, and store it inside.

In 5 years time, it will easily be worth $150k.

Boom, that's 8%+ annually!

Well, this is all based on short term COVID 2020 trends but hey big risk, big reward... am I right? 😁

I bought mine 08 so I dont think that math adds up.. lol

traquer

Reaction score
Many of my friends are either building up and flipping, or purchasing and further scaling online businesses. Here's a good marketplace that's vetted against scams https://empireflippers.com/

The idea is if you have the connections and expertise in a given industry, you can take someone's website that's already performing well on Google and add your product or service or get your connections listed on there and become an affiliate broker. Lots of opportunity but it really depends on each person

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
…..but there’s money to be made regardless. Our neighbor dropped 4 bills on a marg machine rental. Couple of average dudes showed up in their half ton pickup towing a little 12’ enclosed trailer completely loaded with 7/11 style icee machines. All they did was drop them off, and pick them up later that night…..talk about easy money

View attachment 1036342
And the wheels are in motion. 😂
F7BD3E81-4A93-403C-8138-C3D4E1A494DE.png

badgas

Reaction score
Our families are looking into “set it and forget it” services. Laundromats, car washes, jumper rentals, marg machine rentals etc. One of our friends that’s pooling in with us, is an engineer for Ventura fire and suggested buying water trucks and bidding on gov contracts as water tenders through the state. There’s stupid money being made on those contracts…..

Good cash to made in all those business ideas but I would not call them "set it and forget it" Lot of hands on and thats great if you have the time. I heard a story the other day about a guy renting out hot tubs and making some good cash. If you can hustle there are lot of great ideas out there.

cofooter

Reaction score
Good cash to made in all those business ideas but I would not call them "set it and forget it" Lot of hands on and thats great if you have the time. I heard a story the other day about a guy renting out hot tubs and making some good cash. If you can hustle there are lot of great ideas out there.
For now, don't think it will last forever.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
I tried this... I watched all these guys on rdp saying "made all this money on this stock" for awhile and decided to jump in with both feet.. I figured everyone was talking about those cryptocurrencies so we bought some. I quickly learned how to take 20K and turn it into 12.. It's still sitting at 12. :(

RD
So I have a 100k I need to invest. I already max out my 401/457 plans and have defined pension benefits plan for retirement. I would like to see a decent ROI vs the crap the bank is returning. What’s the investment consensus’s with this amount? I have thought of paying off a family members home( about 95k with a value of 600k) then they would pay me back. The return would only be about 2.4 percent so not that great of a return. Any thoughts on investments other than stock market which I have a lot of exposure to already with my 401/457 ?

First of all. You should be shoving the max every year into a Roth. Better yet with a company plan with a Roth option you can shove a hell of a lot more into it. So ask your employer to add a roth option to the 401K plan. There is no income limitation on contributing to a company roth plan either.

Some other ideas: buy a condo to rent. Long term or Air Bnb if you can make it work
Buy some crypto. Buy on the dips so don't buy it all at once.
REIT or Storage units. Be careful on this one. variable rate debt can be dangerous. I am generally talking publicly traded stuff but there is private partnership out there
S&P 500 specifically good dividend paying stocks
Someone mentioned private money lending...do trust deed stuff it beats the hell out of earning .01 in a saving account. Screw loaning to your relatives thats just stupid.
You could do some collectibles investing if you had something that interest you....just don't go around paying retail for shit you won't make any money

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Psh, I’d do it. Fully automated. One person for the transaction and one to guide you in. Self service vacuums. Freaking things are always packed.

anyone here own an express wash? Been thinking about it. Location location location, not cheap to build or purchase existing full service and convert to express. I’ve got a self service wash, hard to find these for sale , at least a goodlocation at a fair price

PRORACER7474

Reaction score
with the new standard deduction you would not be able to be using the interest on a 100k mortage unless it is at 10% or so

DWC

Reaction score
No debt, house is paid, cars paid, 0 kids., Only real bummer is boat-less at this point, but that will change over the winter I’m sure. Dont really want to buy another home at this point with these elevated prices. May do the SP fund, but I have 7 figure exposure with both my 401/457 that I’m shoving 39k a year at. The Rdp brain trust has vast pool of knowledge so I’m looking to see what others might advise that I might have missed.
Congrats on no debt. :D Jk. Very cool position to be in.
1628654371930.gif

DWC

Reaction score
anyone here own an express wash? Been thinking about it. Location location location, not cheap to build or purchase existing full service and convert to express. I’ve got a self service wash, hard to find these for sale , at least a goodlocation at a fair price
Was wondering if you’d jump on.. Do you manage it? Have you thought about additional locationsV

Raffit78

Reaction score

View attachment 1036342

The problem with entertainment rental business is your weekends are gone.
if you are not fully committed to work very hard and long hours, you will be unsuccessful. It is as competitive as any business. Marketing, systems, finding good help.

been part of manufacturing inflatables/jumpers for over 20 years.

bouncingangels.com

If you need advise I can probably guide you and give you tips and advise.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
There a self serve car wash down the street from me that literally a gold mine. 5 bays self serve power wand, brush and high speed blower. They also just installed 2 new Lazer Wash systems which is touchless technology. Take my Vee there all the time.. I get the 3 wash bundle for $20. So this is average FOR ME about $6.66 per wash. Now every time I drive by this place it seems that cars are always in Lazer Wash and 2-3 self serve bays. So lets say you average $8 per LW and you only sell out 2 hours worth per day, per bay ( I know it's a lot more) that's roughly $5,760...😲
I can't remember the cost for the self serve bays or vacuum rates. Gotta be a little gold mine.

O.C. Carwash on Crecent and Knott Ave.

Last edited:

Booshy

Reaction score
What about something like this??

Attachments

• 9DD1A090-07F0-4CB7-955D-6028145563CB.png
    9DD1A090-07F0-4CB7-955D-6028145563CB.png
    438.8 KB · Views: 113

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Pick up a book called The Rich Employee. For average Joes like myself and a lot of others on here, he really hits home with his ideas and theory on how to make it, grow it and keep it. The author James Altucher states the average millionaire has 14 different sources of income. Not only is he a super genius, he is super down to earth and funny, he is not afraid to admit to his mistakes.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
There a self serve car wash down the street from me that literally a gold mind. 5 bays self serve power wand, brush and high speed blower. They also just installed 2 new Lazer Wash systems which is touchless technology. Take my Vee there all the time.. I get the 3 wash bundle for $20. So this is average FOR ME about $6.66 per wash. Now every time I drive by this place it seems that cars are always in Lazer Wash and 2-3 self serve bays. So lets say you average $8 per LW and you only sell out 2 hours worth per day, per bay ( I know it's a lot more) that's roughly $5,760...😲
I can't remember the cost for the self serve bays or vacuum rates. Gotta be a little gold mind.

O.C. Carwash on Crecent and Knott Ave.

Whoa, sign me up. That thing is sweet

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Doesn’t anybody wash their own cars in the driveway… no wonder this country is in distress. :cool:
I actually love washing my cars, but I’m the type of guy that chases every water spot, every nook and cranny, has to throw on some bead maker for the shine, etc. etc. It’s impossible for me to half ass it.
1. If I don’t want to do anything for 2 hours, I’ll do it, but most of the time I want to be out and about. 2. We have very large Eucalyptus trees in our neighborhood that ruin the wash in half a day. I’d rather throw my bi-weekly $30 at a mobile guy for my wife’s car or $8 for the drive through wash for mine than do all that work only to have it screwed up in half a day.

SOD

Reaction score
After nearly getting wiped out in the great recession most of my investing is as a passive investor in RE. Mostly industial and commercial. It' really hard to find opportunities and people you trust, but it's really nice just to park the money and wait. I highly recommend it. This was in my inbox on Monday. Now this has only happened a couple of times in a decade at this level, but returns are always in the teens and twenties.
Document.jpg

Last edited:

SOD

Reaction score
What about something like this??

I downloaded the investment deck on this and it's pretty intriguing. Its right behind Home Depot. Google search on the company was a bit frightening. I usually have to beg to get a spot in deals. So I'm weary of a group that goes to instagram looking for investors. Still going to poke around a little more though.