WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Irvine Lake to re-open

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Heard on the news that the lake may reopen this summer for recreational water sports, concerts, camping, etc.

Grand jury slams government agencies for shuttering Irvine Lake
Don’t want to cry over wasted tax dollars? Stop reading. Now.

A newly released Orange County grand jury report reveals that with nothing more than passive aggression our leaders managed to shut down what for three-quarters of a century was the largest and most popular local fishing lake.

“Minimal effort to engage one another,” jurors state, “a lack of creative proposals and slow responsiveness between OC Parks and the water districts have allowed negotiations to stall.”

That, my friends, is the Orange County grand jury’s assessment for why our once-beautiful Irvine Lake is padlocked and surrounded by massive weeds.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/05/...t9CL_tL5X0MF0g4epj7-s07oOoAivaCVcgyxKeVVSGkA8

Your ad here

Reaction score
I was under the impression it was privately owned or something and they closed it because of all the drowning lawsuits that were going on. It was a nice lake, now full of weeds. What would really nice is if they brought back Saddleback Park.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
They also had the days where you could run flat bottoms and other fast boats, lots of racers would go out and test. Went over and watched Tony Scarlatta doing laps in his flat, it was a thing of beauty.

sirbob

Reaction score
I remember being at that lake for the drags when a boat went up on the beach and killed a spectator.

While that was a real drag - no pun intended - that’s a great little lake.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
We had a lot of fun for many years there. It would be great to bring it back.
Irv2010 086.jpg

DSC06010a.jpg

DSC06284.JPG

DSC01249a.jpg

DSC01241.JPG
DSC01258.JPG

DSC05620.JPG

Irv rope.jpg
Irv shore.jpg

Irvine1984archives.jpg
Irvinegirl1.jpg

cofooter

Reaction score
Lived right around the corner, we were on top of one of those campers with a keg when the boat went up on the shore

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...I believe I shot this 10 years ago which is hard to believe...where did the time go???...
... I can pretty much guarantee that there are RDP folks in this video other than Sharpshooter...who was standing up on top of his observation point expert video shooting trailer...:cool:
...OK RDP’r’s pick yourself out minute wise and admit you were there:eek:(identify yourselves...Remember you looked a lot younger then)...:rolleyes:..

Last edited:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I remember going to the drag boat races there in the early 80's. My apartment (Seal Beach) manager, George Walsh was the previous driver in circle k bracket for George over at Clay Smith Cams. Really cool dude that had a pretty wild life style. Fun times indeed.

instagator

Reaction score
I remember being at that lake for the drags when a boat went up on the beach and killed a spectator.

I was there that day, I think it killed a little girl. If i remember it right it was a flatbottom that kited off to the side into the crowd . The weird thing was the crowd was far away and it
looked that there was no way the boat could fly that far.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Not sure but I seem to remember a mother and her little girl were in an area that was marked no spectators but I could be wrong???...
...RIP...little girl...

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
...Not sure but I seem to remember a mother and her little girl were in an area that was marked no spectators but I could be wrong???...
...RIP...little girl...
That was the event that ended my dads drag boat dream, he was one of the first guys to get to the girl. If i remember the story correctly, it was a broken steering cable that was the cause.

Dont quote me on it. Lol, i wasnt even born yet, i was still body fluids at that time

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Part of the reason irvine lake closed was there wasnt any water in it. I drive by there everytime i go to orange. The lake was really low 2 summers ago. Its almost back to full has about 10 feet to go. I hope they open it back up. I wouldnt run a powerboat there for awhile though. Lots of trees grew by the ramp and are now barely underwater.

Joe mama

Reaction score

Was there when that happened

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
August 17 reopening for shoreline fishing

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

outboardrick

Reaction score
...RIP...little girl...
I was there also, Jim Lange lost the steering in the boat and basically idled up onto the beach. This was way past the finish line and the only reason for people to be in that area was to watch crashes, you really couldn't even see the race course. I don't believe Lange raced again after that, it really effected him badly.

Last edited:

C-2

Reaction score
Would kill to fish matthews!!

Oh man, my pops and uncle would catch so many catfish they had to leave them behind.

It’s been a few years, but we’ve snuck in several times and fished it. During high school my friends would go in daylight and fish for bass!

These days I imagine it would be easy to get caught by security.

Hell’s yes on Irvine lake, that’s good news.

Boat 405

Reaction score
They also had the days where you could run flat bottoms and other fast boats, lots of racers would go out and test. Went over and watched Tony Scarlatta doing laps in his flat, it was a thing of beauty.
I’ve done lots of testing with the drag boat at Irvine over the years. It was awesome!

cofooter

Reaction score
Used to work there in high school cleaning fishing boats, 40yrs ago, best job ever.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Was there also when the boat went up on beach .

Was there when TFH billy the kid crashed at over 200. Was standing next to there crew . Sad deal

brgrcru

Reaction score
I think we
WHen we finished our Cole flat we did some testing, at Irvine , was the last time the lake was open

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I think we
WHen we finished our Cole flat we did some testing, at Irvine , was the last time the lake was open

I'm not sure of the exact date, but the last time I was there taking pics was March 2014. It was a test day.
DSC00330a.jpg
DSC00336.JPG
DSC00342.JPG
DSC00347.JPG

brgrcru

Reaction score
I Could of been there ? Don't know maybe it was a year later . Don't think I had boat done in 2014 .