WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Is It.Possible To Use A Dish Network Dish With A DirectTv Receiver?

robert1050

Reaction score
At our River abode we have a DirectTv system and while getting everything setup for summer, I couldn't get the dish aligned to pull in a signal. I used new RF cables. And the receiver and a small TV sitting 10 feet from the dish and tripod. I spent a least 2 hours trying to set the elevation and azimith without any luck. I followed the online setup guide and even tried to line it up by eye using my neighbor's angles, bit that didn't work either.
One of my neuighbors loaned me an old Dish Network dish that he had, but I ran out of tiime to try it.
Question is, will it work with DirectTV?

We're guessing that the feedhorn on the DirectTV dish may be bad.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure it will not, when I change the house over I had to replace the LMB in the RV,

I think you need to replace the tips

fmo24

Reaction score
I have both a dish and a direct dish on my house that your free to have. We have cable and these were on the house when we bought it. I'm in long beach if you want either or both.

rivrbrat

Reaction score
If it is a Dish 500 Dish it will be extremely easy to align on Direct Tv Network. Yes my husband has done it. Back when we had Direct Tv he purposely bought use Dish 500 dishes because they were easier to aim and you would get better reception.

Ps. Don't be surprised if you get above a 100% signal reception and you'll never get that with a Direct TV Dish.

jrhboy

Reaction score
I take a portable dish to the desert all the time and to help me out I bought a "satellite signal strength" meter for around $25 bucks. It has a needle that lets you zero in when you have set your basic dish direction. I found it at the local RV store. It hooks in-line and even makes a loud noise when you hit the sweet spot.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I take a portable dish to the desert all the time and to help me out I bought a "satellite signal strength" meter for around $25 bucks. It has a needle that lets you zero in when you have set your basic dish direction. I found it at the local RV store. It hooks in-line and even makes a loud noise when you hit the sweet spot.

The meters work great. Used to use one in the RV all the time before to automatic dishes.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
As was previously stated the older SD dish will work fine with DTV but the HD receivers won't work because there are multiple satellites (3 of them) being tracked and the HD LNB's are specific to the position of the 3 satellites Dish uses.

Now is that "Clear as Mud"

We have Dish at home and at the river house. I initially set up a my own dish starting with DTV and then moving to Dish. When we first changed I simply repointed the DTV dish and hooked up the Dish receiver....worked great until about 10 years ago when they went to the "Spot beam" system for local channels and we lost the local channels (LA Based) from about 8:30 PM to midnight.....which is the only time you want to watch the damn networks.

We solved all of this when they went to HD and solved it this way; We signed up for service at the river house and Dish came out and did a very professional install. We canceled in 30 days (we did not sign up for the free install) and paid the 100 installation fee. For this we got the Dish, and all the cabling done professionally and simply sent back the receivers and brought the extra one from home and got all the programming we pay for there with no extra charges.....which I don;t feel guilty about because I only watch in one place or the other as we are never in both places at the same time.

We have an extra receiver we pay the $10 a month for and leave it to record our favorite shows when we are away and have them to watch when we are at the river......our 2nd home!

I'm guessing you could do the same thing with DTV......my .02

robert1050

Reaction score
I have both a dish and a direct dish on my house that your free to have. We have cable and these were on the house when we bought it. I'm in long beach if you want either or both.

I really appreciate that! I am starting a new job next week and will be working in Signal Hill starting next week. I'll PM you my cell number!

I do have a satellite 'finder' that I bought at Radio Shack, but my travel trailer gets packed up at the end of every season and put into storage for the winter. I unpacked most everything earlier this month when I started my season again, but the meter is among the missing (along with the smoke detector and remote for one DVD player....).

This problem has been driving me nuts - years ago, we had DirectTV out to set up the system, but I've since moved the dish mount (from an awning pole to a tripod) and it hasn't worked the same since. I've replaced all the RF wiring (with brand new stuff to preclude the problem being a bad connector) and still cannot get a signal. I can't believe a feedhorn can go bad, but that's all that hasn't been replaced yet.

The receiver is not HD, so the earlier dish may just work.

Thanks for all the tips guys!
Robert

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I have a Direct TV receiver and a generic receiver I bought on ebay that gets Dish network programming , both work on my SD dish on top of my MH.... I use the built in signal meter on the receivers and can get it pretty easily using that. DTV likes around 165 51ele.. So to answer your question, both units will work on the SD dish..

SBjet

El Presidente for Life
Reaction score
sent back the receivers and brought the extra one from home and got all the programming we pay for there

I have a Direct TV receiver and a generic receiver I bought on ebay that gets Dish network programming , both work on my SD dish on top of my MH......

I can't believe this works. I thought they were scrambled and coded, and whatnot.
My bro was so unhappy with the football available in Tallahassee, he had DTV installed on my house, then came and removed it, and installed the equipment at his house. It didn't work.
Btw, more power to ya.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I can't believe this works. I thought they were scrambled and coded, and whatnot.

Yes, the dish network box I have will only work when my buddy descrambles it for me and it's a pain. But it only lasts for a little while because Dish network scrambles it all the time. I stopped doing that and now use and pay for a Direct TV top box and their service. But my dish works pefectly with either system.

Tapatalk iPhone