WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Is my transmission starting to fail-F250, 7.3?

U4ia

Reaction score
In the last month when I shift my 2000 F-250 Powerstroke into D it stays in neutral, I have to drop it into 2 and then bump it back into D for it to go into gear. Once it is in gear it shifts fine. Is this just the linkage or is it internal. Truck has just over 100k, I got it in 2009 at 85k and have used it to tow my boat a few times as well as for camping trips and drives to Powell with all our stuff. It was used to tow a fifth wheel horse trailer by the PO.

J5Daytona

Reaction score
most likely your selector switch going out , pretty easy fix it bolts to the side of the tranny so no need to open up trans or pull it out . It can be done from underneath relatively easy.

Rat a tat tat

Reaction score
most likely your selector switch going out , pretty easy fix it bolts to the side of the tranny so no need to open up trans or pull it out . It can be done from underneath relatively easy.

Yep..as long as it shifts fine under power, the tranny should be fine...you probably got another 50 K on that E4OD...possibly one of the worst inventions of Ford!!

RUNNINHOTRACING163.1

Reaction score

STV_Keith

Reaction score
IIRC, there is a bushing where the linkage connects to the trans. That bushing may be damaged or missing, which is why you "over travel" the shifter to select your gear.

cofooter

Reaction score
Yep, what they said^^^^^^^, my 2001 F-250 did the same exact thing at about 150K and I fixed it. They seem to go out of adjustment for some reason. Just passed 200K and running as strong as ever on original transmission. They are great trucks........

U4ia

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, now I know I don't need to budget for a major repair and can just take it in anytime. This is why I like RDP........

J5Daytona

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, now I know I don't need to budget for a major repair and can just take it in anytime. This is why I like RDP........

ummm find someone you trust if youre not gonna do it yourself. If you take it to a trans shop or possibly ford ,they will convince you all your friends are wrong and at the very least the valve body needs to be dropped because of a fluid bypass or some other bullshit. Dont ask me how I know LOL . When it comes to transmission work the one and only goal of the shop is to find a reason that the trans needs to come out and be torn down. DO NOT LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO THIS!!!!!!!

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
ummm find someone you trust if youre not gonna do it yourself. If you take it to a trans shop or possibly ford ,they will convince you all your friends are wrong and at the very least the valve body needs to be dropped because of a fluid bypass or some other bullshit. Dont ask me how I know LOL . When it comes to transmission work the one and only goal of the shop is to find a reason that the trans needs to come out and be torn down. DO NOT LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO THIS!!!!!!!

Ain't that the truth! My wife's old van had the trans light come on a few times during a heat wave. Did a couple of funny shifts. I had the trans serviced and they looked at the codes thrown....and tell me I need to pull it. I say, not right now...lets see what happens after the service. They even threw some guilt at me, knowing it was my wife's van and we had kids....telling me I didn't want her getting stranded and ish. That happened at like 80K miles. Light never came on again and recently sold the van with 250K miles!

Joker

Reaction score
You better sell it . That 7.3 is a POS. :D
I'll take it with the bad trans.

U4ia

Reaction score
You better sell it . That 7.3 is a POS. :D
I'll take it with the bad trans.

Yeah, it's a real loser! CrewCab 2wd, theft recovery with a salvage title, my friend in Tucson owns a junkyard and I got a new Larado interior and stereo for free. After I put new tires on it I have about $9500 in it.:D

Joker

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a real loser! CrewCab 2wd, theft recovery with a salvage title, my friend in Tucson owns a junkyard and I got a new Larado interior and stereo for free. After I put new tires on it I have about $9500 in it.:D

:thumbup:, best motor around.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
ummm find someone you trust if youre not gonna do it yourself. If you take it to a trans shop or possibly ford ,they will convince you all your friends are wrong and at the very least the valve body needs to be dropped because of a fluid bypass or some other bullshit.

Amen to that. :thumbsup

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
Stick your head up under the dash, there's two brass colored torx screws that come loose and cause this problem.... Seems to happen to all of them.