WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Is the toon craze over and done???

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Seems everyone that was raving about their toon last mon., has then for sell this month...

Reaction score
maybe, I gave mine to my adult son. it doesn't have 30 hrs on it yet. I mention 30 hrs because then you have to change lower unit oil to a different weight, which is what I told my son. one less thing for me to maintain.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
No, everyone's kids are back in school.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
We happened to be next door so for shits and giggles(curious mostly) we walked into Cactus a few weeks ago, walked on/around a few of these and mama flat out said "not for me!!!".
End of story.:cool:

So that is where the toon craze ended for you.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
We're ready to pull the trigger on a new toon.
Just waiting for the deal
Friend just got his new toon and we're going out sunday for a quick ride
20190903_103214_HDR_011.jpg

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Sand Sports show happened...this month its SXS's.

I'll be shopping for a toon in December...

TCHB

Reaction score
Just hang out at the ramp one Saturday and you can see what is selling.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
5FD5B0DB-E907-46E2-9D03-2561CD431B4B.jpeg
4BE327DB-6467-48F8-B503-72D6C29D781C.jpeg
My buddy picked up his new trifecta friday:
Single Merc 400. It’s next to another trifecta with twin 300’s

Both went from magic/conquest deck boats and are happy
I’ve had my old Skool toon 8 years so no band wagon here

I get my adrenaline rush at work, most have to buy their “fast” fix....sad lol

hallett21

Reaction score
I still call BS that these twin 400 toons are “less maintenance” than a gel coat deck boat etc.

Other than beaching on the rocks I can’t see it.

All that interior, carpet, sea deck, and exterior paneling still needs to be cleaned up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
View attachment 799229 View attachment 799230 My buddy picked up his new trifecta friday:
Single Merc 400. It’s next to another trifecta with twin 300’s

Both went from magic/conquest deck boats and are happy
I’ve had my old Skool toon 8 years so no band wagon here

I get my adrenaline rush at work, most have to buy their “fast” fix....sad lol
You know Billy and Jim? Both good guys

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Craze, curiosity....whatever you want to call it.:cool:
Her face said it allo_O......

Yeah, your two are not ready for that pace of life.......at least that is what I hear your better half telling you!!! :read:

LOLLOLLOL

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I still call BS that these twin 400 toons are “less maintenance” than a gel coat deck boat etc.

All that interior, carpet, sea deck, and exterior paneling still needs to be cleaned up.

Agreed. Too much surface area. And no one is going to spend $200k on a boat and not keep it relatively clean.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
You know Billy and Jim? Both good guys

Known Billy since 05’, Jim since last year. Billy and I popped our Rhino
Cherries in Glamis together in 06’

Reactions: Wmc

LowRiver2

Reaction score

Still less wiping every stop

And the engines have pre programmed break in running times/ranges

Word is the 400 merc has a 5k hour service life. A lot cheaper service wise than a 525 or equivalent for those that rack hours up.

And the final deal:
Anyone with bad backs don’t complain after a full day in havi chop

No deck boat can say the same ride wise

Not like everyone over 50 has 20 year old back and necks, just saying

hallett21

Reaction score

Not trying to knock them. Not my intention at all. I’m a firm believer in if you cut the check and you’re happy then I’m happy.

I just get a kick out of people telling me their 200k boat is so much less maintenance.
I’ve only known outboards so I can’t speak about BBC motors and B1 explosions.

After seeing what guys spend on that alone I’m
shocked half the board here calls boating “fun” lol.

riverroyal

Reaction score

Twins???? I owned a magic deck, now a single 300 toon. The toon takes TWICE as long to put away at the days end. I'd love to clean a magic

adam909

Reaction score
We happened to be next door so for shits and giggles(curious mostly) we walked into Cactus a few weeks ago, walked on/around a few of these and mama flat out said "not for me!!!".
End of story.:cool:

Mine at the boat show couldn't get her ass off the pontoons saying how nice they are and for the type of boating we do a pontoon is ideal.. Then on the lake as we are passing them she said to me is that how fast they go? Told her pretty much and she said no thanks.. lol.. hopefully she doesn't see a twin 400 pontoon.

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score

I takes my wife and I 1.5 hours to completely clean the toon at the end of the weekend. She does the interior while I do the exterior. The Sea Grass gets swept once in a while, but most of the sand blows out while running the boat. It's also not just beaching on rocks. I can go to beaches that are only 2-3 feet deep (before you hit bushes, cliffs ect...). I can go out late on a holiday and still find a beach that a fiberglass boat can't fit on. Having two boats is the way to go IMO, with one being a toon.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Twins???? I owned a magic deck, now a single 300 toon. The toon takes TWICE as long to put away at the days end. I'd love to clean a magic

Great. I'll leave it in the space around 5 Saturday. Thanks a ton. you're not such a homo after all!

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Pontoon life, good living... IMO, the demand seems crazy still, however there are a few really nice ones for sale in the classified section that I am shocked have not sold yet. Maybe just end of the season for most peeps. I am not nearly as attached to my pontoon as I was with the Cobra, so I will say my toon is always for sale...

What’s not to like...

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2995.JPG

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If you consider new boat registrations a good indicator of how the boating business is going (nationwide) -- the boat industry was up 4.4% overall in 2018 over 2017. But things have not been so good in the first half of 2019 according to NMMA statistics. Pontoon registrations are down 4.5% in 2019 while PWCs show a 4.2% increase while wakesport boats are up 2% compared to 2018.

DWC

Reaction score
The channel was jam packed with Toons on Sunday. Thought it was some kinda regatta.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Fun as hell to drive.
The 'toon's with the big power must really be a blast.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Fun as hell to drive.
The 'toon's with the big power must really be a blast.

The looks on people’s faces when they getting passed by a pontoon are awesome. Quick, responsive and flat over the rollers at speed while others getting bounced around, slapping butts and breaking backs. [emoji2957]

WildWilly

Reaction score
The channel was jam packed with Toons on Sunday. Thought it was some kinda regatta.

there actually was, something like the Havasu Tritoon club or something. came across it somewhere

Reactions: DWC

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Like I always say
The looks on people’s faces when they getting passed by a pontoon are awesome. Quick, responsive and flat over the rollers at speed while others getting bounced around, slapping butts and breaking backs. [emoji2957]

100%
Even my slow toon spanks daycruisers when they start bobbing in 3’ chop and I’m cutting through.
I guaren...damn... ty every naysayer of toons would be buying one if they or their spouse had titanium bolts and herniated discs in their backs.

As for AARP, I see plenty of pork bellies in shiny fiberglass boats that couldn’t run a 5k Around the channel. Age doesn’t equate fitness in boating ha ha !