WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Is there a market for a used NON-WORKING lower unit?

Water Romper

Reaction score
So, I am getting a new lower for my old 1992 150 Merc Blk Max 2 stroke.
Wondering if there is a market for the NON-WORKING lower. It was NOT damaged, the case is in perfect condition. Reason for the new one is I lost the two bearings (Gears were fine) and its cheaper to get the new one from SEI (It comes with a 3 year unconditional warranty) than to have it rebuilt.

You outboard gurus- what do you say, is it worth posting to sell?

hallett21

Reaction score
I think a mechanic would buy it for pennies on the dollar.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I'm watching this closely as I have 2 sitting in my garage along with 1 on my boat. All need some sort of work done, 2 have low water Pick-ups.

Backlash

Reaction score
There are plenty listed for sale on Ebay and CL. The lower unit on our Daytona was ground down slightly be previous owners. If I could find a decent lower unit as an empty shell, I would consider buying it, cleaning it up, then swap all of my components over to the better lower unit housing. Especially if the price were low enough that it would be cost efficient.

Yes, I think there is a market for these. But, with so many people getting away from high strung two strokes, and moving to newer 4 stroke replacements, I think your clientele may be growing narrower each day.