WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Is there a resident Gear Vendors rep in the house??

Mototrig

Reaction score
I'm looking to outfit my 2002 7.3 with a GV sometime in March/April as soon as I'm done updating the suspension. I've had my truck almost 10 years and have no plans to part with it in the near future.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I can tell you guys that are thinking about this, there is Nothing better for towing!

You can click it on or off in any gear, so can set the exact RPM you need for pulling a grade.

On flat land, I can set the cruise control for 80 and my truck just lumbers along (towing or not, no difference).

If you don't have one of them new fangled 10 speed tranny's, these are the best upgrades ever.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I can tell you guys that are thinking about this, there is Nothing better for towing!

You can click it on or off in any gear, so can set the exact RPM you need for pulling a grade.

On flat land, I can set the cruise control for 80 and my truck just lumbers along (towing or not, no difference).

If you don't have one of them new fangled 10 speed tranny's, these are the best upgrades ever.
This route is something I’ve considered for a while.
My thought was running one divorced mounted, where the center bearing carrier is.
Obviously this is a unit for towing/road use only on a 4x4 application.
One of my worries here is axle speed.
With 4:10 gears, the overdrive in the trans, and another overdrive, it sort of spooks me as far as bearing/seal life, balance on the shafts would have to be just spot on?

Right now 75mph has me at 2350rpm. I’d love to get that highway cruise rpm down into peak torque of the engine which is 1800ish

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
I'm looking to outfit my 2002 7.3 with a GV sometime in March/April as soon as I'm done updating the suspension. I've had my truck almost 10 years and have no plans to part with it in the near future.
watch out....... the GVOD units do not play well with high torque diesels and tend to self detonate, (sprang goes bad) I have seen this one play out a few times

grumpy88

Reaction score
How would one of these help out on my 6.4 with 4:30 gears ? Between the emissions i could not imagine changing the gearing when towing but regular highway speeds the rpms are insane .

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
My thought was running one divorced mounted, where the center bearing carrier is.
With 4:10 gears, the overdrive in the trans, and another overdrive, it sort of spooks me as far as bearing/seal life, balance on the shafts would have to be just spot on?

Right now 75mph has me at 2350rpm. I’d love to get that highway cruise rpm down into peak torque of the engine which is 1800ish

Your 2350 rpm @ 75 would be at 1833 rpm in overdrive, still @ 75.

GV od ratio is 0.78:1 (22%)

Dan'l

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
How would one of these help out on my 6.4 with 4:30 gears ? Between the emissions i could not imagine changing the gearing when towing but regular highway speeds the rpms are insane .

Without rpm @ speed, it would be like a 3.354 rear gear.

Dan'l

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

I'm running 4:56 gears and 37 inch tires...

The trucks main use is towing my toy hauler. The truck is a 99, and has had the GV in from day one. The guy I bought it from towed a 5th wheel toy hauler with it.

So 20 years and 160k miles later, it still works perfectly.

All the cars running the Drag Week series are using a GV as well. (Huge power)

I'm gonna say durability is Not an issue.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I'm running 4:56 gears and 37 inch tires...

The trucks main use is towing my toy hauler. The truck is a 99, and has had the GV in from day one. The guy I bought it from towed a 5th wheel toy hauler with it.

So 20 years and 160k miles later, it still works perfectly.

All the cars running the Drag Week series are using a GV as well. (Huge power)

I'm gonna say durability is Not an issue.
I’m not so worried about the GV unit, I’m more comfortable ncerned with my own wheel bearings etc, running stock sized tires.

bonesfab

Reaction score
I have one in my bus. It did shell the sprag once. But it did not have the easiest of lives. I have it on a manual switch with out the computer and more than a few times forgot to disengage it when i slowed or stopped. They are pretty damn tough though. If it is a towing cross country type thing, Have a second drive shaft made and if it does fail, Put the stock tailhousing back on and the old shaft and keep on trucking. The unit literally bolts on in less than a half hour. The wiring is what takes a little more time.

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Are these worth putting on a Class A gas motorhome workhorse chassis with Alison trans?

Mototrig

Reaction score

This is exactly my thought as well.

The GV will be in place of the carrier.

At 75 mph I'm at 2350 in the ol 7.3 I get 14 miles to the gallon towing the boat and 15 not towing. The GV will put me at right at 1830 rpm and drop boost 4#.

When I'm pulling a grade in 3rd towing my hauler and traffic slows down I can split 2nd and 3rd and keep momentum.

Last edited:

bonesfab

Reaction score
So a little more insight. The first one I had was on a class a 27ft. motorhome. Anything over 62 mph and you could literally watch the gas gauge move. I put it on ther and was able to cruise comfortably at 70-75 mph. Towing the boat to the river I would set the cruise around 70mph and when it would come to a hill I would just click it out of O/D. Mileage went up and noise went down. That was a gas 454 with 4.56 gears. I have been wanting to stick one on my big truck with the cummins in it. It has 4.56 and a 37" with a o/d trans. It turns 2300-2500 rpm at 75-80 mph. But after getting 17-18mpg out of it I don't think the mileage would improve much but the noise level would drop. Sometimes if you get a engine out of the powerband it hurts mileage more than helps.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I’m not so worried about the GV unit, I’m more comfortable ncerned with my own wheel bearings etc, running stock sized tires.

Are you doing this so you can drive faster? Or just to cut down RPM at the same speeds? If you aren't driving any faster, your wheel bearings, driveshaft, etc wont see anything different regarding rotational speed, and everything in front of the GV will spin slower.

Even if you are doing it so you can cruise faster, 4.10's and stock tires shouldnt be an issue for wheel bearings IMO.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Bones can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure the rear seal is the same one as a th400. It’s a pretty easy job.

the output shaft is a standard turbo 400. But there are other gaskets and seals in them also. Let it leak and just add fluid as need be. Supposed to change the fluid every 10k and they don’t hold that much.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
the output shaft is a standard turbo 400. But there are other gaskets and seals in them also. Let it leak and just add fluid as need be. Supposed to change the fluid every 10k and they don’t hold that much.

I've been doing just that for 15 years at least...

:p

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

You mean one of the new fangled 10 speeds in every new half ton with huge brakes? :)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You mean one of the new fangled 10 speeds in every new half ton with huge brakes? :)

Exactly! You HAVE to have a 10 speed trans when your engine doesn't have any torque!

🤣

They put a ten speed trans in the naturally asperated 1.8L Camery too. That thing was a joke to drive.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Exactly! You HAVE to have a 10 speed trans when your engine doesn't have any torque!

🤣

They put a ten speed trans in the naturally asperated 1.8L Camery too. That thing was a joke to drive.

That must be why you need a GV to make yourself an 8 speed? That 7.3 certainly makes no horsepower :)

Triple overdrive sure is nice :)

Sadly my 1/2 ton makes more torque than the 7.3 too;).

Last edited:

grumpy88

Reaction score
So if this is a dumb question . My 6.4 has 4:30 gears and runs about 2700 rpm at 75 80 mph . The truck is about 1850 at 55 mph . Sounds like it allows a bridge between the two ? Is it worth the money to save the motor ?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That must be why you need a GV to make yourself an 8 speed? That 7.3 certainly makes no horsepower :)

So you now have joined a distinguished list...

You're the second person I've ever known in my lifetime, to use a diesel and HP in the same sentence.

Wow bro, just wow! 🤣

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So if this is a dumb question . My 6.4 has 4:30 gears and runs about 2700 rpm at 75 80 mph . The truck is about 1850 at 55 mph . Sounds like it allows a bridge between the two ? Is it worth the money to save the motor ?

The main point of having a GV (for me anyway) is to keep the RPM's in the sweet spot for power and torque. This helps immensely when you are Towing!

Of course, in your case, it will also help to bring the RPM's down, and save you some money in fuel.

There are a lot of different reasons to invest in one. Pick which one works best for you.

👍

4Waters

Reaction score
The main point of having a GV (for me anyway) is to keep the RPM's in the sweet spot for power and torque. This helps immensely when you are Towing!

Of course, in your case, it will also help to bring the RPM's down, and save you some money in fuel.

There are a lot of different reasons to invest in one. Pick which one works best for you.

👍
Don't forget the 6.4 has a 5spd so no double OD, he can only split

grumpy88

Reaction score

👍
When im towing at 65 i get around 7.5 when not towing no matter the speed i get 10 . I was just thinking about it if it would help take stress of the motor when not towing .

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Stock tires? You'll have no issues at all.
Nothing concerning the tires on the ground changes. 75 MPH is still 75 MPH. The ONLY difference is what engine RPM is required to run at any given speed. In OD, or out of OD, wheel bearing speed remains the same at a given MPH....The difference will come IF the tire diameter changes. Tire rollout can, and does, change many things up stream towards the engine.. Larger tires reduce tire/bearing speeds.....
Messing with tires, gears, overdrives, drive lines, etc etc, for about 50 years and never heard a bad word about any Gear Vendors products...
And yes, my old Class "C", 440 Dodge powered, 727, MH has the one on my shelve in it's near future...(I too plan on a manual "kickdown" switch)....
Ray

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Nothing concerning the tires on the ground changes. 75 MPH is still 75 MPH. The ONLY difference is what engine RPM is required to run at any given speed. In OD, or out of OD, wheel bearing speed remains the same at a given MPH....The difference will come IF the tire diameter changes. Tire rollout can, and does, change many things up stream towards the engine.. Larger tires reduce tire/bearing speeds.....
Messing with tires, gears, overdrives, drive lines, etc etc, for about 50 years and never heard a bad word about any Gear Vendors products...
And yes, my old Class "C", 440 Dodge powered, 727, MH has the one on my shelve in it's near future...(I too plan on a manual "kickdown" switch)....
Ray
Kick down switch.
Aka floor mount brights switch😎

Gelcoater

Reaction score

Sadly my 1/2 ton makes more torque than the 7.3 too;).
I think we need a truck thunderdome section.
You and Joe hook up trucks ass end to ass end and see who pulls what where😎
I got a hundy on the old oil burner💰

Mototrig

Reaction score
Add in one of my on demand torque converter lock up units, kick it into 4 low and the ol oil burner tractor for the easy win.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Done.. as long as we go double or nothing on a drag race after that, and maybe throw in a triple or nothing on which truck stops shorter from 80 :).

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So you now have joined a distinguished list...

You're the second person I've ever known in my lifetime, to use a diesel and HP in the same sentence.

Wow bro, just wow! 🤣

But you never answered why you need the GV in the first place...to do exactly what the 10 speed does.

20 year old technology FTW again!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Done.. as long as we go double or nothing on a drag race after that, and maybe throw in a triple or nothing on which truck stops shorter from 80 :).
Trucks aren’t built to drag race, just drag shit around.
Race cars race. Truck pull shit. Like race cars to the track.😉
Or smaller, less capable trucks😇

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Bones can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure the rear seal is the same one as a th400. It’s a pretty easy job.

Truth! I just did that job this week. I'm sure I did it the hard way, but I got the old seal out!
IMG_20210107_095007321.jpg

and then the new one in. After a few test drives, no more leak!
IMG_20210107_095211581.jpg

havasu5150

Reaction score
Been thinking about getting one for my 96 f350 7.3 5 speed manual trans. not sure of the gear ratio but it is low

welldigger00

Reaction score
The gear vendors is on my list of things for my dodge. I’ve got a one ton Dooley stick shift. When I pull heavy up the hill, it always seems like I need a gear right in between third and fourth. I had one on a 95 one ton Ford stick shift, and absolutely loved it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PaPaG

Reaction score
I am a dealer for them and have two of them personally. I can save you a few bucks on one.
I am a dealer for them and have two of them personally. I can save you a few bucks on one.
Thanks for the reply....looking forward to getting this done as soon as I can decide on which truck I want it on...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
But you never answered why you need the GV in the first place...to do exactly what the 10 speed does.

20 year old technology FTW again!

I actually Did answer this question...

You should go back to the SxS section. Nothing to see but men talking here. Move along now. Buh bye! 😁

c603f724adae245d3232976ae8d65660.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I actually Did answer this question...

You should go back to the SxS section. Nothing to see but men talking here. Move along now. Buh bye! 😁

View attachment 960279

Indeed.. you need the GV to make up for the deficiencies of the power train in yore 20 year old truck. You said as much yourself about the 10 speed in a new truck, yet you want the same thing, see below.

🤣

Not really men talking in here, just technology deniers :)

Incidentally, I’m still waiting for all those guys with warped rotors to come forward with their stories of despair, yearning for the days of yore, when a truck chassis had the rigidity of a wet noodle, and when underpowered engines that sounded like 8 coffee cans with marbles in them were put into trucks.

I have nothing against GV, they are an awesome product.

Last edited: