WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Is there a resident Gear Vendors rep in the house??

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Indeed.. you need the GV to make up for the deficiencies of the power train in yore 20 year old truck. You said as much yourself about the 10 speed in a new truck, yet you want the same thing, see below.

Not really men talking in here, just technology deniers :)

Incidentally, I’m still waiting for all those guys with warped rotors to come forward with their stories of despair, yearning for the days of yore, when a truck chassis had the rigidity of a wet noodle, and when underpowered engines that sounded like 8 coffee cans with marbles in them were put into trucks.

I have nothing against GV, they are an awesome product.

Calm down son...

We were discussing GV units until you showed up to try and impress/embarrass yourself.

Did you have something to add to the discussion from your personal experience with one?

Try and stay on topic this time. ;)

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Calm down son...

We were discussing GV units until you showed up to try and impress/embarrass yourself.

Did you have something to add to the discussion from your personal experience with one?

Try and stay on topic this time. ;)

I’m always calm, however the irony was not lost on me.

You just got agitated I blew up the theory in the other thread about new 1/2 ton truck braking systems being unable to compete with 2 decade old braking tech.

Then you said 10 speed transmissions a were to make up for some kind of power deficiency while at the same time yearning for multiple gears of overdrive in your own truck that only a GV provides, so you can see my confusion.

Then tried to turn it into a truck dick measuring contest challenging me to a towing challenge.... in the GV thread about overdrive.

So if you agree to stay on topic, I will too.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
hen tried to turn it into a truck dick measuring contest challenging me to a towing challenge.... in the GV thread about overdrive.
Actually that was me with the big dick towing challenge, in the thread about a gear vendors unit....on a truck for towing😉

And I still have a hundy on the inferior, 2 decade old truck😎

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I’m always calm, however the irony was not lost on me.

You just got agitated I blew up the theory in the other thread about new 1/2 ton truck braking systems being unable to compete with 2 decade old braking tech.

Then you said 10 speed transmissions a were to make up for some kind of power deficiency while at the same time yearning for multiple gears of overdrive in your own truck that only a GV provides, so you can see my confusion.

Then tried to turn it into a truck dick measuring contest challenging me to a towing challenge.... in the GV thread about overdrive.

So if you agree to stay on topic, I will too.

Lol...

It's all good. I know you know I'm just messing with you. 😝

Mototrig

Reaction score
Did my first 60 mile round trip to work and back today with the new Gear Vendors installed. Garden Grove to El Segundo and back on the 405 cruising 70-75. The best MPG I've EVER gotten until now was 15.5.
21.7 MPG....not bad for an old 7.3 Powerstroke turd.
Granted the computer's average is usually high by 1-1.5 mpg compared to milage ÷ gallons at the pump. Roughly 30% increase in MPG I'll take it!!!!
PXL_20210403_032104706.jpg

4Waters

Reaction score
Did my first 60 mile round trip to work and back today with the new Gear Vendors installed. Garden Grove to El Segundo and back on the 405 cruising 70-75. The best MPG I've EVER gotten until now was 15.5.
Granted the computer's average is usually high by 1-1.5 mpg compared to milage ÷ gallons at the pump. Roughly 30% increase in MPG I'll take it!!!!
View attachment 988640
The 7.3 fuels up for boost at 1800, keep it just under and that will be the best mpg you will get.

Is it a slip yoke or is it bolt on?

Mototrig

Reaction score
The 7.3 fuels up for boost at 1800, keep it just under and that will be the best mpg you will get.

Is it a slip yoke or is it bolt on?
70 is 1700 so that makes sense. I went with a bolt on yoke

Mototrig

Reaction score

4Waters

Reaction score
Holly shit!! That's some real carnage right there.
I'm thinking I should pull that bolt out and swap the blue locktite for red.....
That's a good idea as well but don't rely on the locktite check it every once in a while, I don't remember what locktite I had on mine

Mototrig

Reaction score
That's a good idea as well but don't rely on the locktite check it every once in a while, I don't remember what locktite I had on mine
That's good to know I'll definitely keep an eye on it. I appreciate you passing on the info to me.

Your ad here

Reaction score
FYI, install a shell on the truck and your mileage will go up 2-3 mpg. Convert it to 4wd and the mileage goes up 1.5 mpg. Add a cetane booster and add another 1.5-2 to that. Did all this to my truck and went from 13 mpg to 17.5 mpg. 19 mpg with cetane booster. The mpg increase with the shell makes sense as well as the cetane booster. The 4wd conversion was a big surprise that the mileage increased. The fuel burn rate rapidly increases after 1800 rpm on the 7.3s. Still running a loose 2wd transmission and have leaking up pipes... Hoping to get into the 20 mpg range with a fresh transmission and new up pipes.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
View attachment 988640
How was the install for the GV? Do it all in the truck? Did you have a custom driveshaft made? Thinking about doing this on my 02 that only sees highway & towing.

4Waters

Reaction score
How was the install for the GV? Do it all in the truck? Did you have a custom driveshaft made? Thinking about doing this on my 02 that only sees highway & towing.
It's not too bad of an install. You definitely don't have to remove the transmission but yes you have to shorten the driveshaft

Your ad here

Reaction score
Install is different on a 2wd vs. a 4wd. I believe on a 2wd you take the tail housing off the trans and install the gv unit. On a 4wd you need to split the transfercase and install the custom gv housing. I have seen gv units mid driveshaft...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My speed pickup is in the differential.

......I'm on 37's and 4.56 gears. You're truck has voodoo in it

Well let's think about this...

Normally, the speedo pick up on in the transmission output shaft, correct?

So regardless if your measuring the input side of the driveshaft, or the output side of the driveshaft, you're measuring the exact same thing. The speed of the rotating assy that is driving the rear wheels.

The manufacturer calculated these things (gear ratio and tire size) when they built the truck, so the speedometer would be accurate with the tires it was delivered from the factory with.

So if you change the tire size, let's say to bigger, what happens?

You'll now cover more ground, per tire rotation, than you did with the smaller tire.

Right?

In this situation, the speedometer on your dash is no longer accurate.

Now you change the gear ratio. Higher or lower, the speedometer is no longer acurate.

Now you change the speed of the driveshaft rotating assy with a gear vender.

NOW you have a situation where is Does matter where the speedo sensor is! In front, or behind the gear vender!

In ether position, the speedometer is no longer accurate.

Now combine all three of these changes on the same vehicle???

Truthfully, I HATE math! LoL. But someone who is good at it could easily calculate what the end result Could be.

Me, I just used my the GPS in my phone to figure out what was going on.

It only makes sense that with the gear vender engaged, you would be traveling much faster at the same RPM. That's the whole point of having an over drive...

The engine turns at a Lower RPM, than the transmission out put shaft. Slap a gear vender on, and now you have double overdrive.

On my F350, there is a sensor on the diff. Does it control the speedometer? Dunno. I know for Sure it controls the anti lock brakes! I broke a ring gear tooth one time, and the anti lock was going nuts!

There is also a sensor on output side of the transmission/transfer case. Does it control the speedometer? I'm going to guess yes.

My truck is a 4x4. I'm going to guess they designed the truck, so the speedo would be accurate, weather or not if it was in high or low range. I've never checked this, so now I'm going to have to verify this someday!

Anyhow...

I suppose it possible that you could make tire, gear and OD changes, and the speedo could still be accurate. But I'm thinking the odds of this are highly unlikely.

😊

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Install is different on a 2wd vs. a 4wd. I believe on a 2wd you take the tail housing off the trans and install the gv unit. On a 4wd you need to split the transfercase and install the custom gv housing. I have seen gv units mid driveshaft...

I have a 4x4. The GV is on the output side of the transfer case. Reasoning? You dont need double OD when you're in four wheel drive.

20210403_125243.jpg

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
It's not too bad of an install. You definitely don't have to remove the transmission but yes you have to shorten the driveshaft
Did you shorten the factory driveshaft or have a new one made?
Good catch. Mines a 2wd so sounds like it may be a little simpler.

Mototrig

Reaction score
Well let's think about this...

Normally, the speedo pick up on in the transmission output shaft, correct?

So regardless if your measuring the input side of the driveshaft, or the output side of the driveshaft, you're measuring the exact same thing. The speed of the rotating assy that is driving the rear wheels.

The manufacturer calculated these things (gear ratio and tire size) when they built the truck, so the speedometer would be accurate with the tires it was delivered from the factory with.

So if you change the tire size, let's say to bigger, what happens?

You'll now cover more ground, per tire rotation, than you did with the smaller tire.

Right?

In this situation, the speedometer on your dash is no longer accurate.

Now you change the gear ratio. Higher or lower, the speedometer is no longer acurate.

Now you change the speed of the driveshaft rotating assy with a gear vender.

NOW you have a situation where is Does matter where the speedo sensor is! In front, or behind the gear vender!

In ether position, the speedometer is no longer accurate.

Now combine all three of these changes on the same vehicle???

Truthfully, I HATE math! LoL. But someone who is good at it could easily calculate what the end result Could be.

Me, I just used my the GPS in my phone to figure out what was going on.

It only makes sense that with the gear vender engaged, you would be traveling much faster at the same RPM. That's the whole point of having an over drive...

The engine turns at a Lower RPM, than the transmission out put shaft. Slap a gear vender on, and now you have double overdrive.

On my F350, there is a sensor on the diff. Does it control the speedometer? Dunno. I know for Sure it controls the anti lock brakes! I broke a ring gear tooth one time, and the anti lock was going nuts!

There is also a sensor on output side of the transmission/transfer case. Does it control the speedometer? I'm going to guess yes.

My truck is a 4x4. I'm going to guess they designed the truck, so the speedo would be accurate, weather or not if it was in high or low range. I've never checked this, so now I'm going to have to verify this someday!

Anyhow...

I suppose it possible that you could make tire, gear and OD changes, and the speedo could still be accurate. But I'm thinking the odds of this are highly unlikely.

😊
Being good at math is completely overrated ....but then again 😂😂

So when dealing with vehicle speed, the trucks computer doesn't care what's happening upstream of the driveshaft (motor, transmission, transfer case and in our case Gear Vendors). It only cares what's happening in the differential housing.
The sensor on top of the pumpkin IS where the computer reads the trucks speed (on the 99-04 F-series pickup and EX that is). It's called the VSS or Vehicle Speed Sensor and it measures the rotating speed of the tone ring mounted to the ring gear inside the pumpkin. From the factory the PCM is uploaded with tire size and gear ratio (oem spec) and it does the math to figure the speed of the vehicle by measuring axle RPM via the tone ring. This sensor also helps with rear ABS IIRC...

Anyway, the PCM doesn't know when you've changed to a different gear ratio or larger tire, it only know what it's been calibrated to read. You have to recalibrate the speedo by changing the parameters in the PCM when you change things up. I recalibrated my PCM with my diagnostic software in my laptop. If you live In Orange County and you want to recalibrate your speedo I'm happy to do it for you over a few beers 😎.

As far as the sensor on top of the transmission case goes, if you have the 4R100 trans that is the OSS (output speed sensor) and works in conjunction with the TSS (Turbine Speed Sensor) which measures torque converter slip. It does this by measuring the differential RPM between the TSS and OSS. The PCM controls the electronic converter lockup and uses these two sensors to monitor when lockup is occurring as it should and flashes the OD light when the converter is slipping too much. It will also flash the OD light if the PCM thinks it does not have control over lockup.
Ask me how I know LoL....
I built an on demand TQ lockup system and had to learn how to fool the PCM to let it think it is still in control when I flip the switch.

I only said my speed sensor is in the pumpkin without any further explanation because work picked up and I had to answer quickly, ADD kicked in 😎.
Screenshot_20210403-143312~2.png

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I’m jealous, I want one so bad for my Ford F450. I’ve got 4.88 gears GV would be great. They won’t sell it due to the grenading factor😂

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I’m jealous, I want one so bad for my Ford F450. I’ve got 4.88 gears GV would be great. They won’t sell it due to the grenading factor😂

Truth be told, mine just died. Probably my fault, cause it ran too low on oil. OR, could be cause it's 20+ years old, and it's spent almost all of its 150k mi life towing? I'm at 20k lb loaded, so that GV has seen some serious duty. I'm thankful it lasted this long. GV is sending me an exchange unit for 1200.00 I think that's more than fair.

GV shows listings up to the F550. You sure they don't make one for yours? @bonesfab

@Mototrig Thank you much for the offer! I honestly don't care if it's calibrated or not. I drive by my tach, not the speedo. And if I get pulled over, I'll just say "sorry officer, my speedo aint right, so I have no idea how fast I was going!"

:p

Mototrig

Reaction score
Truth be told, mine just died. Probably my fault, cause it ran too low on oil. OR, could be cause it's 20+ years old, and it's spent almost all of its 150k mi life towing? I'm at 20k lb loaded, so that GV has seen some serious duty. I'm thankful it lasted this long. GV is sending me an exchange unit for 1200.00 I think that's more than fair.

GV shows listings up to the F550. You sure they don't make one for yours? @bonesfab

@Mototrig Thank you much for the offer! I honestly don't care if it's calibrated or not. I drive by my tach, not the speedo. And if I get pulled over, I'll just say "sorry officer, my speedo aint right, so I have no idea how fast I was going!"

:p
150k miles? Dam these little units can take a beating

Mototrig

Reaction score
So it says not to do ANY towing in double overdrive with the GV. I'm wondering how many people actually get away with it? One reason I bought it was to tow my little boat to the river in double O and reap the milage benefits. .

4Waters

Reaction score
So it says not to do ANY towing in double overdrive with the GV. I'm wondering how many people actually get away with it? One reason I bought it was to tow my little boat to the river in double O and reap the milage benefits. .
Don't lug it up a hill in DOD or in a stiff head wind

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

I know. I think that's more for the trans, than it is for the GV unit. You're not supposed to tow, with an auto trans, in overdrive, ever! And then adding a GV unit after that? That's gonna really stress the trans and converter.

Luckily, the guy I bought my truck from, had the trans rebuilt, just before I bought it from him. Billet converter and all that fancy stuff. I also have a tranny temp gauge, that I keep a close eye on when I'm towing.

I'm dragging my heavy azz toy hauler around (my boat lives at the river) when I'm towing. I have no clue what boat you have, but if it's lighter than my toy hauler, I'm pretty sure you will be ok. 👍

Mototrig

Reaction score
I know. I think that's more for the trans, than it is for the GV unit. You're not supposed to tow, with an auto trans, in overdrive, ever! And then adding a GV unit after that? That's gonna really stress the trans and converter.

Luckily, the guy I bought my truck from, had the trans rebuilt, just before I bought it from him. Billet converter and all that fancy stuff. I also have a tranny temp gauge, that I keep a close eye on when I'm towing.

I'm dragging my heavy azz toy hauler around (my boat lives at the river) when I'm towing. I have no clue what boat you have, but if it's lighter than my toy hauler, I'm pretty sure you will be ok. 👍
I regularly tow my toy hauler in OD in the flats, never up a hill though that's what 3rd gear is for, sometimes 2nd going up the grade to shaver lake. Granted my hauler only weighs 9500# loaded though. That billet converter is the way to go. I had my trans built to a heavier duty spec than OEM with a triple clutch billet converter 😉. Trans temp stays around 160° when towing and 130° unloaded. I wouldn't dream of towing DOD with the hauler AT ALL. My boat on the other hand is a 20.5 mini day cruiser, 2200# maybe?
It was just a thought.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I regularly tow my toy hauler in OD in the flats, never up a hill though that's what 3rd gear is for, sometimes 2nd going up the grade to shaver lake. Granted my hauler only weighs 9500# loaded though. That billet converter is the way to go. I had my trans built to a heavier duty spec than OEM with a triple clutch billet converter 😉. Trans temp stays around 160° when towing and 130° unloaded. I wouldn't dream of towing DOD with the hauler AT ALL. My boat on the other hand is a 20.5 mini day cruiser, 2200# maybe?
It was just a thought.

Your temps are about the same as mine...

I can only think of a handful of times I double OD'd with my toy hauler. They were all on trips up north, Oregon, Idaho, trips like that. I know I had to keep it around 2300 rpm to tow comfortably. Any less, any grade scrubbed off speed Fast!

Post some pics of Shaver please. We used to ski Pine Flat a lot, but never made it up to Shaver. I've heard it's awesome up there.

Mototrig

Reaction score
Your temps are about the same as mine...

I can only think of a handful of times I double OD'd with my toy hauler. They were all on trips up north, Oregon, Idaho, trips like that. I know I had to keep it around 2300 rpm to tow comfortably. Any less, any grade scrubbed off speed Fast!

Post some pics of Shaver please. We used to ski Pine Flat a lot, but never made it up to Shaver. I've heard it's awesome up there.
We love Shaver. Been going every august for 7 years. Unfortunately though we didn't get reservations this year. What a great place to fish and hike and water ski.
That 11% grade though......2nd gear 20# boost at 30 mph for 7 miles LoL. Sketchy
IMG_20200728_200602.jpg
IMG_20170727_111842401.jpg

IMG_20200802_231607.jpg

Screenshot_20210403-205614.png

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We love Shaver. Been going every august for 7 years. Unfortunately though we didn't get reservations this year. What a great place to fish and hike and water ski.
That 11% grade though......2nd gear 20# boost at 30 mph for 7 miles LoL. Sketchy
View attachment 988928 View attachment 988929
View attachment 988932
View attachment 988933

Beautiful.

If you ain't afraid of drives like that, you should check out Kennedy and Monanche Meadows. They call it the land that time forgot.

No lakes, but it is the beginning of the Kern River up there. Part of the John Muir Trail goes through it. Only open in the summer. Closes up tight every winter.

I haven't been for years. I could use a good reason to head up there...

Mototrig

Reaction score
Beautiful.

If you ain't afraid of drives like that, you should check out Kennedy and Monanche Meadows. They call it the land that time forgot.

No lakes, but it is the beginning of the Kern River up there. Part of the John Muir Trail goes through it. Only open in the summer. Closes up tight every winter.

I haven't been for years. I could use a good reason to head up there...
Maonanche meadows sounds like a great place, looks👍👍 cool on google. Talk about off the grid too.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
ou're not supposed to tow, with an auto trans, in overdrive, ever! And then adding a GV unit after that? That's gonna really stress the trans and converter
Interesting.
My truck has a haul/tow mode. It increases line pressure a little and will hold a gear a little longer but will still go into overdrive.