WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Is there a truck scale in Havasu?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I need to get our motorhome scaled so I can set the tire pressures correctly and see if the weight balance is off. Its pretty common from what I hear the the manufacturers dont set the tag axle pressures correctly so there is too much down force on the tag axle which makes the RV squirrely which I am dealing with.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I need to get our motorhome scaled so I can set the tire pressures correctly and see if the weight balance is off. Its pretty common from what I hear the the manufacturers dont set the tag axle pressures correctly so there is too much down force on the tag axle which makes the RV squirrely which I am dealing with.
Any chance this could cause some abnormal tire wear on the tag? Have a customer that is chewing up the rears, and I don't think he's doing donuts and a lot of sharp turns...and those things were pricey! (And a batch to mount)

yard dog

Reaction score
Are referring to air bags on the tag axle?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Any chance this could cause some abnormal tire wear on the tag? Have a customer that is chewing up the rears, and I don't think he's doing donuts and a lot of sharp turns...and those things were pricey! (And a batch to mount)
Would have alot to do with it. The downforce pressures can be adjusted from what I understand. I dump mine in sharp turns and it dumps automatically when I put it in reverse. My biggest issue is the amount of steering correction i constantly have to do, its even worse when towing and if its windy.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Would have alot to do with it. The downforce pressures can be adjusted from what I understand. I dump mine in sharp turns and it dumps automatically when I put it in reverse. My biggest issue is the amount of steering correction i constantly have to do, its even worse when towing and if its windy.
You need to take it somewhere they can do a front and rear end alignment. They need RV experience and also need to know the tongue weight of the trailer when doing it. Part of the alignment is adjusting the air bags for ride height and balance. I believe Freightliner in Phoenix can do it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Something I'll have to look into on his. I think it's a '16 "American Coach" (?)...I know I didn't hear any purge before I started backing it up, and I was being real careful and slow...damn thing is nearly as big as my house, and sure as hell didn't want to have any "paint correction" issues :oops:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
It must be something cause driving a tag is so much easier than a non tag.

I'll have to see if the bag pressure can be changed on my fathers, never really had to look into.

I'll take a stab at it saying the tires pressure wont have anything to do with it.

What is the tire pressure currently?

hallett3

Reaction score
Try this place . They do motorhomes. My son had 40 inch tires with a ten inch lift on his 2019 duramax diesel. Saw a lot of expensive motorhomes being aligned also. They treated us right and excellent work. Located in havasu .http://www.donerightautorvac.com/

River Runnin

Reaction score
Do you have the Data plate -- usually by drivers seat/ side wall? ... But I run MAX in the rear and 100 -110 front -- on 22.5's!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
It must be something cause driving a tag is so much easier than a non tag.

I'll have to see if the bag pressure can be changed on my fathers, never really had to look into.

I'll take a stab at it saying the tires pressure wont have anything to do with it.

What is the tire pressure currently?
I have been playing with it and at this point would rather refer to the Michelin charts based on the weight on each axle and set them that way. Once thats done and if it still drives crappy then I will take it to the nearest Spartan dealer in Phoenix. I will also call done right and see if they can do the four wheel alignments.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Do you have the Data plate -- usually by drivers seat/ side wall? ... But I run MAX in the rear and 100 -110 front.
I do, those numbers are a reference and dont take into account what your personal cargo capacity is going to be, to do it the best way you need to see the weight on each axle fully loaded.

yard dog

Reaction score
I would call Lowerys Truck Repair in Havasu and they could adjust the air bag pressure , three a arm that’s goes between the axle and the frame that controls the pressure in bags by the weight on the axle and frame to keep the unit level, some they get out of adjustment or leak in the air line . Ph 680 3233

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I have been playing with it and at this point would rather refer to the Michelin charts based on the weight on each axle and set them that way. Once thats done and if it still drives crappy then I will take it to the nearest Spartan dealer in Phoenix. I will also call done right and see if they can do the four wheel alignments.

that's the chart my father used..... alignment would help more than tire pressure since you have been playing with it and it hasn't corrected the issue.

I would think its something to do with the proportioning valve on the chassis bags. Can you tell if air compressor is continuously running?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Unless its an actual truck scale he's not going to get the data he is after. He needs axle specific weights. I'd drive to loves.
I will head down there tomorrow. How does that work, do you go in first and say you want to weigh, or do you just roll on and then walk into the service desk?

RCDave

Reaction score
Ideally you want to weigh each corner weight. Since rvs do not equally disburse the weight depending on configuration

Singleton

Reaction score
I will head down there tomorrow. How does that work, do you go in first and say you want to weigh, or do you just roll on and then walk into the service desk?

All cat scales now have an app you can use to get weight and pay.
CAT Scale and Weigh My Truck are the 2 I use.
Or You pull up, park as needed on scale and push the button and the teller will help

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Pull on scale, talk to attendant weigh then go inside for ticket and pay. It will break down by axle. We used to have to get those tickets for PCS moves.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Pull on scale, talk to attendant weigh then go inside for ticket and pay. It will break down by axle. We used to have to get those tickets for PCS moves.
Thanks, I will head down there in a bit.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I did mine up there my last trip out. Pull in weigh and get off the scale and head inside $12.50. I also had my jeep behind me and weighed it also. This is what you get.
16310585057152527917259941405826.jpg

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
39,980 pounds, damn. With the Harley on the lift add another 1000, or with our Glamis trailer I would be over 50,000.
seems to me spartan had a wondering problem,... but mr crs doesn't let me remeber what it was... but a quick check on irv2, or just google it...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Steering Problem with Spartan Chassis | The RV Forum Community,... in my experience, usually wondering is caused by 3 things,.. front end toed out,.. steering box, and otherfront suspension part failure, and tire walk... usually , the rear will just cause it to dog walk.. an easy check is to go to a big open parking lot let the coach go straight forward.. lookfor a pull to one side or the other, once you start going straight.. don't touch the wheel... I'm talking idling... then stop, watch the wheel and see if it moves.. then get out with a helper and tape measure the front tires...make sure there is 1/8'' toe in...

what gets me is when you buy something they rave at how good it is, and then you find problems the first time out..

also,.. I would get the front end up and spin the tires,, some times it's a brake grabbing on one side... but check all the suspension...could just need a good lube..

for me I would start at the front and work my way back,.. does it have the option to drive at speed with the tag up??? that would be my next step..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I read this..

While I was at Spartan early this month. Their was a guy with a 07 Essex and Spartan had to rebuild his entire tag axle all under warranty...something to do with chinese bearing and new air bags they are having a problem with...he was not a happy camper and was telling everyone about it.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Steering Problem with Spartan Chassis | The RV Forum Community,... in my experience, usually wondering is caused by 3 things,.. front end toed out,.. steering box, and otherfront suspension part failure, and tire walk... usually , the rear will just cause it to dog walk.. an easy check is to go to a big open parking lot let the coach go straight forward.. lookfor a pull to one side or the other, once you start going straight.. don't touch the wheel... I'm talking idling... then stop, watch the wheel and see if it moves.. then get out with a helper and tape measure the front tires...make sure there is 1/8'' toe in...

what gets me is when you buy something they rave at how good it is, and then you find problems the first time out..

also,.. I would get the front end up and spin the tires,, some times it's a brake grabbing on one side... but check all the suspension...could just need a good lube..

for me I would start at the front and work my way back,.. does it have the option to drive at speed with the tag up??? that would be my next step..
No, tag comes down in forward gears. The scales show no unusual pressures on the tag but after checking the Michelin charts my tire pressures are way off, going to set all of those to spec and see how it goes before we check all of the mechanical potential issues. It’s not unbearable, I just think a 42’ tag should drive better.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
No, tag comes down in forward gears. The scales show no unusual pressures on the tag but after checking the Michelin charts my tire pressures are way off, going to set all of those to spec and see how it goes before we check all of the mechanical potential issues. It’s not unbearable, I just think a 42’ tag should drive better.

That seems like a good place to start. Are the pressures high or low?

RCDave

Reaction score

Did you get 4 corner weights or just over each axle?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Did you get 4 corner weights or just over each axle?
They didnt have the set up for four corner, just each axle. According to the Michelin charts my fronts should be 110 (what I was running), rears 120 (they had 80) and the tag should be 75, it was at 90. I am going to set to these spec charts pressures and see what happens, then go from there on other issues. According to Spartan the tag weight versus the weight on the drive and the steer are within the correct ratios to each other.

RCDave

Reaction score
They didnt have the set up for four corner, just each axle. According to the Michelin charts my fronts should be 110 (what I was running), rears 120 (they had 80) and the tag should be 75, it was at 90. I am going to set to these spec charts pressures and see what happens, then go from there on other issues. According to Spartan the tag weight versus the weight on the drive and the steer are within the correct ratios to each other.
Should make a difference with the rears adjusted.

You might consider going up 5% on the psi to add a safety factor if one side is heavier than the other

RCDave

Reaction score
Did the increase in tire pressures help?

fmo24

Reaction score
If I get over 110 it feels like a solid tire fork lift lol. I run my fronts at 105 psi

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Make sure you have the right tire size, they could be to small if they were replaced previously.

One2go

Reaction score
Question...Any of you guys have a Harley/bike lift on single rear( not tag). My buddy has one on his entregra with a tag. I have a Fleetwood Providence with freightliner chassis,want to take Harley and the jeep towd just not sure about that much Ass end weight ( lift and bike ). Any one doing this ?

fmo24

Reaction score
I don’t have one but see them regularly on non tag coaches

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Question...Any of you guys have a Harley/bike lift on single rear( not tag). My buddy has one on his entregra with a tag. I have a Fleetwood Providence with freightliner chassis,want to take Harley and the jeep towd just not sure about that much Ass end weight ( lift and bike ). Any one doing this ?
I have a hydra lift on a tag and tow a 2500 Ram. The factory hitch gets cut off and the hitch on the hydra lift replaces it. I’ve been told it doesn’t matter tag or not. The whole system with a bike on it is less than 2000 pounds, any DP won’t even notice it.
8FAF0278-0BAC-47C4-A4C4-D6920A7378E8.jpeg

dp70

Reaction score
Walt - I have same coach, how is your ride height ? As in does it look fairly level when aired up ? Sometimes that gets out of adjustment and can cause issues.
Joes truck and auto is authorized spartan service center, they adjusted mine after getting all factory specs for my coach from spartan.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Walt - I have same coach, how is your ride height ? As in does it look fairly level when aired up ? Sometimes that gets out of adjustment and can cause issues.
Joes truck and auto is authorized spartan service center, they adjusted mine after getting all factory specs for my coach from spartan.
Where is Joes located?