WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Is there a way to trace Gas Line?

Faceaz

Reaction score
I got a buddy trying to give me a super deal on a front loader washer / dryer. The catch, dryer is gas & house is elec. The wash room is somewhat in between the H20 Heater & Stove. If gas line is in the Wash Room walls, I want to stub it. So, anybody know of a way to locate it within the walls, I'm fairly certain it's steel?

Last edited:

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Sawzall and a Zippo?.....................................:D

catman-do

Winter sux, lets golf!
Reaction score
Should be made of steel. If both the nipple for the water heater and the stove are at the same level, then the line probably just runs straight through the studs. You may be able to trace it using a stud finder, or other magnetic field device. Stud finders just detect the metal from drywall screws/nails. Use that where you know the line is at "point A", and run it along the wall to "point B". If you can constantly trace it, you just mark the wall where you want to mount the new valve.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
metal detector, just make sure you line is large enough to handle the load( it most likly is not)

Faceaz

Reaction score
Should be made of steel. If both the nipple for the water heater and the stove are at the same level, then the line probably just runs straight through the studs. You may be able to trace it using a stud finder, or other magnetic field device. Stud finders just detect the metal from drywall screws/nails. Use that where you know the line is at "point A", and run it along the wall to "point B". If you can constantly trace it, you just mark the wall where you want to mount the new valve.

It's run overhead between floors would be my guess, no straight shot between the 2.

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
Go get a piece of black iron pipe, and a metal detector, hold the detector away from the pipe to get a good reading, and record the strength, then follow the pipe to it source.

Depending on who your gas service is from, they may come out and trace it for you, and sometimes they dont charge.

Gojoe

Reaction score
Generally, homes that are set for all-electric (range, water heater, dryer) have a 200 amp service panel. If the dryer area is electric (220v) I would venture to guess that you do not have a gas stub in the wall - it would have to be stubbed out and equipped with a shut-off valve. Also, a gas dryer will need a 120v outlet, as gas dryers do not run off 220.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Unless the house in question is a total custom id think the house should be wired and plumbed for this very senario. Its pre wired and plumbed cause code says so? Ull have 120 there cause the washer needs it. I wonder if u could T off ur waterheater gas line. Its ghetto but will get the job done :p

EpicOne

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
Will the super deal dissapear with the cost of having your house plumbed for the dryer?

Faceaz

Reaction score
Will the super deal dissapear with the cost of having your house plumbed for the dryer?

That all depends on where the Gas Line is located. If it's ran directly overhead, but just not stubbed because this house didn't call for it, then I would say no. They're the high end front loader, the pair originally cost the guy about $2,700. Lightly used, selling to me for $400.

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
Ya ought to jump on em anyway. That's a killer deal and gas pipe isn't too tough to run if you have any skilllllz at all, most of the time...;)

Steve