WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Is this a good idea?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
So some friends of ours recently picked up a bumper pull travel trailer, brand new. OTD it was like $40K. Super nice and it got me thinking...............

Now that I have the Super Duty, I want to put it to work and I was thinking of picking up a travel trailer too. My plan would be to use it a few times a year with our family and then rent it out on Outdoorsy the rest of the time. If my calculations are correct, I would only have to rent it 5 nights a month to be in the money after subtracting loan payment, storage fee's and maintenance. All profits would go toward paying off the loan and then once it is paid, buy another and do the same thing.

Wife says I have too much going on right now to start another business, but I really think that this is a good idea. What are the inmates thoughts??

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Get the trailer and enjoy it as family.

renting it out - I would avoid it, seems like it would only cause additional issues. Stuff in trailers breaks often

I don't want the additional expenditures of a loan and storage. I am trying to get someone else to enjoy it when I am not and pay my loan off for me.

HCP3

Reaction score
Who takes care of maintenance and repairs? Outdoorsy or the trailer owner? If it is the owner, it sounds like more stress/money than it is worth. There are always little things that need attention on RV's. I would not trust strangers with a "who cares it is not mine" mentality. RV's barely stay together even with someone that cares.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So some friends of ours recently picked up a bumper pull travel trailer, brand new. OTD it was like $40K. Super nice and it got me thinking...............

Now that I have the Super Duty, I want to put it to work and I was thinking of picking up a travel trailer too. My plan would be to use it a few times a year with our family and then rent it out on Outdoorsy the rest of the time. If my calculations are correct, I would only have to rent it 5 nights a month to be in the money after subtracting loan payment, storage fee's and maintenance. All profits would go toward paying off the loan and then once it is paid, buy another and do the same thing.

Wife says I have too much going on right now to start another business, but I really think that this is a good idea. What are the inmates thoughts??
I'd buy a nice used bumper pull trailer for 1/2 the price and not rent it. They are built so poorly I have a feeling you'll be fixing doors, drawer slides, cabinets, switches, etc all the time. The rental idea is good but i think the maintenance and breakage will be a pain

rightytighty

Reaction score
I’ve rented a trailer for boat races in Bako. Seemed like win-win! I rented local and it was dropped off/picked up 3 days later. I do nothing but sleep in it.

those kinds of deals would seem ideal.

I don’t know if I’d be comfy with some wazoo pulling my stuff though.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
You jumped ship on AMC and that's a better risk than renting out trailers...

Now, if we had destinations where you would set it up and people stayed for a week, then yes I would...... We do this going to Disney World. and stay at Fort Wilderness.

Singleton

Reaction score
I don't want the additional expenditures of a loan and storage. I am trying to get someone else to enjoy it when I am not and pay my loan off for me.

i get that, but IMO you will be fixing stuff that breaks. Think rental car person now in your trailer.
a ton of RV parks limit rentals (trailer registration has to match spot renter), thus you are renting to folks heading to state park and BLM land.

Halvecto

Reaction score
Do the opposite. Especially if you don't have room at the house to keep it nearby.

Rent a trailer or toyhauler for the few times a year you want to use it. There are even setups that will put the trailer out there (Glamis, PCH, etc.) for your weekend. Shoot, you could do that or tow it yourself to a new spot many times and still be $$$ ahead. Plus, no storage, no maintanence, no owner insurance, etc. . See if it's really something you know you want to invest in.

cofooter

Reaction score
I might seem like a good idea now, but once economy comes down to earth and people go back to work/school it may be tough to rent.

I had a friend that did this the last few years, he had three trailers and was always having to meet people when they went out and came back in, always someone late, always something broken, have to clean the camper, dishes, linens, etc. Turned out to not be worth it for him for the investment he made. Sold all three in the spring last year though for a profit as the covid related demand for campers went through the roof.........

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Buy used for way less, store it in Havasu at yore place for free. :)

Everyone I know with new trailers takes 2 years to get them dialed in. The dealers/factories also keep them for weeks to months for repairs. This is of particular concern if you are renting the thing out.

If you really want one, rent one when you want to use one.

rivergames

Reaction score
I wouldn't do travel trailer, but definitely a toy hauler. Something to put a motorcycle in, SxS, or a smaller boat if you travel up to lakes.

c_land

Reaction score
I have been renting a toyhauler the past few camping trips, they are HAMMERED. Expect it to get worked if you rent it out.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Unless you want to spend all your spare time repairing, maintaining, and cleaning your trailer I would not advise this. A payment on a $40K Trailer of approx $270 a month over 15 years isn't worth my time spending probably 20-30 hours a month trying to offset the cost. You have to ask yourself how much is my time worth? My guess is it's probably more than $10 per hour?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
It bothers the hell out of me when my shit gets broken and I’m not the one that broke it. I don’t think I could do it. My wife’s suburban is a good example. Every week I look for new scratches or dings and it drives me absolutely crazy

badgas

Reaction score

I have a friend who has two trailers. One is the family camper the other one rents out on outdoorsy. He says the retnal income covers the payment on both trailers ? You have to be open and ok WHEN stuff gets damaged and needs repair. People tell me that i'm crazy to rent out my house in Havasu as well. It has to line up with your comfot level and time commitment.

It does sound like a lot of work and then being forced to do it because you have a loan/debt on it sounds scary. I would pay cash for a nice used one and then rent it aout on holidays at high rent that way to dont have to wore the thing out all the time to make payments etc.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I have a friend who has two trailers. One is the family camper the other one rents out on outdoorsy. He says the retnal income covers the payment on both trailers ? You have to be open and ok WHEN stuff gets damaged and needs repair. People tell me that i'm crazy to rent out my house in Havasu as well. It has to line up with your comfot level and time commitment.

It does sound like a lot of work and then being forced to do it because you have a loan/debt on it sounds scary. I would pay cash for a nice used one and then rent it aout on holidays at high rent that way to dont have to wore the thing out all the time to make payments etc.
That’s a good point. I’m scared of renting out the house as well. Probably just a personal thingZ

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
I’ve been renting out a dump trailer. It’s a bit of a pain in the ass, but it has made me a few bucks.

The real nice things with RV’s is that you can leave all of your personal items in it. Toiletries, camping clothes, bedding, tools, etc. Having it stocked up ready to go makes going on trips that much easier, and you’ll likely use it more because it will be so easy to go.

On the other hand, if you don’t have one, and this is a way you could purchase one, it would be worth it.

A friend of ours does not have an RV and has rented a class b Mercedes RV off one of those sites. The owner has it booked out all year and paid it off in the first year. It has like 100,000 miles and some wear and tear on it, but it’s paid for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DLC

Reaction score
In havasu go look at JR motors rental trailers, they get used quite a bit, look for condition ask about what it takes to rent it. They also set it up for you so you just open the door and enjoy.....

doesn’t seem worth it to me. I don’t want some drunk ass shooting puddy all around my bedroom!

Reactions: DWC

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I’ve been renting out a dump trailer. It’s a bit of a pain in the ass, but it has made me a few bucks.

The real nice things with RV’s is that you can leave all of your personal items in it. Toiletries, camping clothes, bedding, tools, etc. Having it stocked up ready to go makes going on trips that much easier, and you’ll likely use it more because it will be so easy to go.

On the other hand, if you don’t have one, and this is a way you could purchase one, it would be worth it.

A friend of ours does not have an RV and has rented a class b Mercedes RV off one of those sites. The owner has it booked out all year and paid it off in the first year. It has like 100,000 miles and some wear and tear on it, but it’s paid for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That might be something to look into. A class C or something that they can drive. With the trailer, I would pick up and deliver. Not letting someone else tow, that would be a huge liability.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

D19

Reaction score
A lot of good points brought up here.

Part of having a trailer/ RV is having all your stuff, stocked in it the way you want it so you can take off and enjoy your trip with the least amount of aggravation. Camping (especially dry camping) is a lot of work and not for everyone. If you dry camp in the desert, you need to have a spare of everything; there's nothing like having the water pump go out and no running water. See how your wife and kids enjoy that one.. Or wait til you get the phone call from the renter on Sat night because the toilet is backed up and the generator won't fire up.

Nothing will ever be the way you left it.. You'll look for that wrench or for the coffee filters and it wont be there and that will be frustrating. Or you'll have to keep all your supplies in totes and load/unload each trip (annoying).

A guy I know rents his coach to film crews and they handle everything including maintenance and storage. That might be the way to go if anything.

JD D05

Reaction score
Rent a cabin, or hotel etc and let someone else pick up the mess.

robby dmax

Reaction score
Then rent one the couple of times a year .
I believe that will be easier then trying to rent it out dealing with all the stuff that breaks and what people break.
My 2cents

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Good Gawd no.....go rent a RV or trailer for yourself and see if you want yours to look like the one you're renting😬😲...I'd bet you wouldn't.

Reactions: DWC

rrrr

Reaction score
When the renter pulls it through a Starbucks and removes the first couple feet of the roof, it might take the shine off of the idea.

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
I would shy away from renting it out. Just the thought of a strangers ass cheeks hitting my throne and dropping a deuce. Then their turds steaming away in my black tank.....

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Better solution, rent one from Outdoorsy when you need it instead of having fucksticks trash yours.
I was thinking of trying to make a few bucks off of it. That was the real reason to purchase. Using it once or twice a year, basically for free, was the bonus. After thinking about the logistics, I am going to re run my numbers with a Class C.

I have looked into renting on Outdoorsy and that shit is pricey!! That's what gave me the idea.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
buy some black light lenses so you can check it out after its off a rental....you'll likely see lots of models of the Hawaiian Islands. EVERYWHERE!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
What are you guys talking about maintenance? Budget does not maintain their fleet of moving vans. Why would the OP need to maintain his truck and trailer? :looking:

sirbob

Reaction score
I've rented motorhomes and RVs - they are always broken / never cleaned from the last person / and generally look like they have been treated like a rental - All the ones I've ever rented were private owned.

I always told myself there is NO WAY I would put my RV in a rental pool of ay kind. That includes doing it yourself. The issues are not when you have it - it is when the renter has it! All you can do is fix the broken shit all day when it comes back.

And then when you book the back to back rental - that's when the most shit comes back broken - and you got the second renter telling you how your ruining their trip...

Rent one a few times a year and break their shit. Or own it and enjoy.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Also are you figuring in the depreciation? Your 40k trailer will be worth $20k after a few years of rental service. RV’s are not a investment opportunity, unless you use them regularly and need one for what you like to do, ie travel, Motorsports, etc., it’s pointless to think you will win at it. Expect to lose money, I do, but I’m sure as hell not temp camping in Glamis or setting up a tent for our annual month on the road each year

Orange Juice

Reaction score

I’d put this Idea in the category,

“ You know, I want a $800k airplane, but I want someone else to pay for it”

how often does that work out, when you’re not in the business?

Sherpa

Reaction score
I have a nice class C.... and I baby it big time....... I'm basically the only person to drive it...... so it's still nice. Now think about the guy meandering
through narrow campground roads. trees......... gas station aprons.. canopies. trees, and curbs, and pillings to protect equipment......

Now think about the clueless fricken idiots that can barely navigate a prius driving your RV....... there goes the exterior..... add to that RV's basically
fall apart...... every screw in an RV wants to unscrew itself.... think washboard dirt roads....... think the slow lane on a beat to shit freeway....

think of the people who say they're renting it as a family, and come to find out it went to burning man....... that playa dust lasts forever...

lastly, the engine and trans...... you think a renter is gonna give a shit the temp is pegging, driving up mountain highways, saying "hey guys, watch
this" as he dips into 2nd gear to bring up her speed and mashes the pedal to the boards! ........

you think renting a bumper pull is gonna be a nightmare, try renting out your motorhome.

--Sherpa

Sherpa

Reaction score
I have explored the idea of renting utility and dump trailers..... and that's it.......

on another note, I do see private listings for rental trailers........ coaches.. these are smaller units. like 18 foot models, and ones that seem to always
get rented are nice popups........ its catering to the smaller inexpensive family.......

--Sherpa

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
One thing to look at is the insurance. All these guys renting there trailers on craigslist or Facebook never did there due diligence understanding how there standard policies work. Most companies are named operator for motorhome and rv and they will be in a world of hurt when they find out there financed trailer is un insured when joe blow crashes it into the Popeyes drive through.

RCDave

Reaction score
If it flys, floats, or fuks, rent it. And and rv is below all these options. Lol!!!!

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
You are very particular with your stuff, from what I have been told by a buddy that rented his trailer out....they destroy stuff and will lie to you to get a rental.

traquer

Reaction score
Better to rent out exotic cars than custom made trailers and boats lol. And that's saying a lot

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I am over now. No class C, no trailer.......just thought it might be a good side hustle but will be too much work and headaches.......so back to the drawing board.