WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Is this worth anything?

Pelon

Reaction score
1966 Mustang

Helping SIL move. This Mustang was buried in a garage that hasn't been opened in 15 years. Car was put in the garage 30 years ago. Been in family since new. 63,000 miles, Interior is rugged, body looks straight, 289 under hood, everything looks like it is where it should be. Is it worth restoring? Does it have any value? She said she would give it to my son. Thanks in advance for any comments or insight.

mustang 1.jpg

mustang 2.jpg

mustang 3.jpg

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Looks like it would clean up decent and be a nice survivor. Did the motor run when it was parked 30 years ago any clue?

Pelon

Reaction score
Looks like it would clean up decent and be a nice survivor. Did the motor run when it was parked 30 years ago any clue?

I have to ask more questions. She said she paid $5000 to have the motor rebuilt, I will have to ask when. Yes it ran when she put it in storage.

Pelon

Reaction score
I paid 4g's for a non running basket case '66 about 15 years ago. Total investment to finish was 18K and I did all the work. Yours looks much better than what I started with.

Beautiful! Looks similar. I was kind of surprised at all the after market parts still available for the early mustangs.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
It's all there. It's a 66 Mustang. If in good shape and no rust, Hell YES.
For some reason 66' doesn't get a lot of love now or in the past, but not long in the future they will become more desirable.

707dog

Reaction score
If she is willing to give it to your son, take it.
It Will cost money to get up and running, but worth the time investment with your son
yup... time spent together, learning the appreciation of older cars ,showing your kid how to turn wrenches, teaching him new cuss words and that car will be back on the road in no time

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've had a few. The 66's aren't as desirable as the 65's, but that's only to the collectors. The guys who just like old cars, still like them. You could build it on the cheap, and still have a respectable classic car. You could also go hog wild and spend a ton. Either way, you would be fine. Depending on age of son, I would stovepipe it...get it running good, and decent looking, but not overboard. If he really likes it, when it becomes a secondary "hobby" car, then go through it spending the big money. There had always been a market for Mustangs, and the 60's era cars are still getting stronger.

92 cole

Reaction score
FWIW the fastback 65's are were the real money is. Everything else I could say has already been said about a father son project. BUT with original owner plates, it has value. I have owned 5 (all 65 fastbacks) and I kick my self in the balls every time I think about the ones I should have kept. JUMP on it and If the kid shows no interest CALL ME. M

BajaMike

Reaction score
I used to do I.T. work from some auto repair schools (like WyoTech) that had hot rod programs for students, and people would give them a classic car to rebuild, the customer pays for parts and the students and instructors do the labor. I’ve seen some beautiful hot rods, Mustangs, Malibus and one beautiful Cobra come out of these shops.

You might look into that if your not a gear head. Take the Mustang!

HST4ME

Reaction score
Yes. Don't touch the motor other than valve seals.

Pelon

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. No rust, car has never left So Cal. Son wants to give it a go! He has a good job, no kids, no wife and the ability. I will post more pictures when we drag it out next week. Car was covered but the brown stains on the front are rat piss that soaked through. Rats didn't get inside or in the engine compartment.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
You would be crazy not to take it and donate it to my 13 year old son. Why do I not have cool neighbors like this? This is exactly what I need to find. Perfect starting price, cool yet obtainable car, & abundance of parts. Great find.

Last edited:

Spudsbud

Reaction score
As all have said. You'll put into it what its worth. Take your time. do whats next as money allows.
A multitude of Mustang forums with a wealth of resto info for you to search up.
Good luck. have fun. Post pix!
Especially in SoCal.

rrrr

Reaction score
That rust appearing through the paint on the rear quarter next to the back window is a known spot for terminal corrosion. Water gets trapped in the window gasket, and the 30 seconds it took the factory painters to cover the back half of the car didn't leave much protection.

There will be rot found under the paint from the back glass to the rear seat window, and it's going to be bad.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Not saying you’re wrong, but that looks like it could just be dirt and dust and a shadow from the car cover bunched up on the back of the car.
That rust appearing through the paint on the rear quarter next to the back window is a known spot for terminal corrosion. Water gets trapped in the window gasket, and the 30 seconds it took the factory painters to cover the back half of the car didn't leave much protection.

There will be rot found under the paint from the back glass to the rear seat window, and it's going to be bad.

Pelon

Reaction score

Went and took another look. Everything around the rear window seems solid. There is a small crack at the bottom of the passenger side window drip edge. Still seemed solid. Couldn't see under. No rust appearing through paint. Its just dirty. No A/C, automatic transmission.

mustang rear.jpg

mustang serial no.jpg

92 cole

Reaction score
that crack is normal on those cars. If you dont' want it let me know.I have been a fan of mustangs all my life, not so much the 1966 but still would not throw it away for the right price. M

Pelon

Reaction score
We dragged it home, and he got it running!

mustang trailered.jpg

What he has done so far, new fuel tank, fuel lines, all hoses, new radiator and heater core, plugs, wires, electronic ignition, alternator, rebuilt carb, water pump, valve cover gaskets, painted valve covers and air filter cover, battery and battery box. Interior next!

trunk gas tank.jpg

engine compartment.jpg

old rigger

Reaction score
Missed this thread the first time around, was laughing out loud when I read the comments about not getting your investment out of it. Coming from members of a boat site, struck me as very funny.
Glad your son got it. I just drug home a '65 Barracuda that's been sitting since '82 so I'm in the same boat. Only 29K original miles on the plymouth.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I have all the new sheet metal to make it a fastback if your son is interested. We acquired it for a 65 project that looks like it is never going to happen.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Interior parts are pretty inexpensive. Good for you guys! I've seen a couple decent ones go for around $7500 on BringATrailer.com lately.

jetur

Reaction score
It's definitely no good. Would you like me to come over and dispose of it for you.;)

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Fortunately you can find literally every single part on that car, Repopped by some body.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Great start to a great car. Always been a mustang fan. My first two cars were mustangs. A 66 coupe then a 67 coupe. The 67 was fast as hell but tired.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I'm not super familiar with early mustangs at all but......

My ex had a '69 GT COUPE. Not a fast back. Her dad figured someone had changed it all over to a GT at some point but check to make sure, he ran the VIN and got the build numbers. Turns out a GT COUPE is a pretty rare combination (still well over a thousand plus for the 69's.) and hers was all original. Made it a little more valuable that the average stock '69 Mustang to some collectors.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Nice little C code car. I personally would swap over a Toploader or a T5 but other than that build that baby. Prob worth 3500 to 5500 if it has minimal rust and everything is there. It looks pretty good under the hood as I dont see any wrinkles from front end damage. If it is in general bondo and rust free I would build it!!

65-66 Fastbacks bring most of the money but you can have just as much fun in a coupe and they look tits if done right. Restoration parts in general are cheap and plentiful. It's when you start hod rodding them it can get expensive just like with anything.

Here is my old 65 K code set up for vintage racing in B production or T/A style class.

IMG_20180207_101821_703.jpg

92 cole

Reaction score
Nice little C code car. I personally would swap over a Toploader or a T5 but other than that build that baby. Prob worth 3500 to 5500 if it has minimal rust and everything is there. It looks pretty good under the hood as I dont see any wrinkles from front end damage. If it is in general bondo and rust free I would build it!!

65-66 Fastbacks bring most of the money but you can have just as much fun in a coupe and they look tits if done right. Restoration parts in general are cheap and plentiful. It's when you start hod rodding them it can get expensive just like with anything.

Here is my old 65 K code set up for vintage racing in B production or T/A style class.

View attachment 816242
RIGHT????

Pelon

Reaction score
cool project.

how is it you didnt pressure wash that engine bay before doing anything?

We did! Apparently this car had radiator problems when it was put to bed. That is a rusty radiator water stain that is in the engine compartment. Been trying to scrub it off. Any suggestions?