WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Issue with boat running

Rchandless

Reaction score
Once again my Kachina that has a carb 502 in it is giving issues. Let me start with brand new spark plugs and wires, starter, distributor, coil, wiring harness, fuel filters, rebuilt carb, new fuel pump. Anyhow been running on hose while I did all this work with no issues. Drop it in last night at site 6 just to see how it does and no issues. This morning drip her in and she fires right up so I think awesome we are good to go. Soon as i get pushed off the trailer and put it into gear start reversing and she dies and wont turn back over. Cranks but wont fire up..... thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
Has it fired since then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rchandless

Reaction score
Ya just had her fired up. Will run for a few minutes then shut down.

Rchandless

Reaction score
Has it fired since then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya just had it fired up ran for approx 5 minutes then shut down. Fired back up again then shut down again.

oldseddie

Reaction score
Coil or Coil on plug? Bad coil will cause this.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

HitIt

Reaction score
How was the carb when you rebuilt it? Was there any shellac in it? I have a carbed 454 and there was some shellac that broke loose and was blocking an internal filter in the carb. I would run great and then randomly shut down from the lack of fuel. Also check for kinks in the fuel line or a collapsed line. When is the last time the fuel line was replaced? Breather on the tank blocked? Weird that it will run and then shut down.

Is it sputtering and dying or just like you shut the key off?

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Can you pump the gas to keep it running while looking down the carb for squirting fuel

Rchandless

Reaction score
How was the carb when you rebuilt it? Was there any shellac in it? I have a carbed 454 and there was some shellac that broke loose and was blocking an internal filter in the carb. I would run great and then randomly shut down from the lack of fuel. Also check for kinks in the fuel line or a collapsed line. When is the last time the fuel line was replaced? Breather on the tank blocked? Weird that it will run and then shut down.

Is it sputtering and dying or just like you shut the key off?
It sputters out and just dies. Even if I go to give it throttle it will still just die. The carb was pretty when rebuilt and fuel lines were replaced last year.

DYAM

Reaction score
Does your boat have an MSD unit?

Last edited:

BajaMike

Reaction score
Make sure you have the spark plugs wired for the proper firing order. Had one of my boats serviced once, was running great before, after it would idle but could not get on plane. The guys screwed up the firing order on the spark plug wires. I never do “tune ups” anymore unless it’s not running right.