WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Issue with Rugged Radios RRP 660+ Buzzing

Dirtbag

Reaction score
So Ive had the Rugged Radio setup for about 2 years now. And since the first day i always have this buzzing or static that comes through the headsets. Sometimes its minimal sometimes it sux. I want it to be gone period. Youd think for 1500 bux it waould be pretty clear. It was installed by Adam at Wired for Sound before his passing. Not sure what the deal is. Any ideas.

Oh and its only buzzing when the car is on and under power. If the car is off there is no buzzing at all!

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I have the same issue with mine. I called Rugged late last season about it. They said to run the power wire away from any other power wires and wire it directly to battery as it sends a squelch thru the wiring harness. I'm finally getting around to rewiring it next weekend. It drives me nucking futs too!!!

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I have the same issue with mine. I called Rugged late last season about it. They said to run the power wire away from any other power wires and wire it directly to battery as it sends a squelch thru the wiring harness. I'm finally getting around to rewiring it next weekend. It drives me nucking futs too!!!
i see they sell a a filter for this? does it work.....

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I'd trace the wiring and see how it was done. As said above, should be direct from the radio to the battery and not wrapped up with any other wires.

Also, check wiring for your headsets. They should also be far from power sources.

Filter *should* help, but I'd start with verifying wiring

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
Good friend of mine had nothing but problems with the rugged set up in his trophy truck and eventually ripped it out and went to PCI. From day one the rugged stuff had issues that they couldn’t fix. Helmets constantly would lose connection, poor radio transmission and constant “noise” through the system. He spent big money and had all top on the line gear. PCI commented on the piss poor install of not only the system in the truck but also the helmet kits and connectors. He has not had an issue since.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Based on the troubleshooting we did on that ride last year finding that the PTT wires were crossed up, I would wager this comes down to a poor install @Dirtbag.

Get the filter, it is plug and play. Also check your headset wiring that is under the dash and console. Move them AWAY from other power wires. That noise is interference from the car running and pulling current likely through the battery cables that run to the front of the car.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I am going to try a Rugged 696 intercom this time around.. I hope I don't regret it lol.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
We have only used the car to car stuff a handful of times. We absolutely love the system it has made riding so much more enjoyable being able to talk to the kids and we sing to each other with the music from the iphone lol.....but yeah i want the buzzing gone....will pull everything apart when i get back out there after xmas!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Good friend of mine had nothing but problems with the rugged set up in his trophy truck and eventually ripped it out and went to PCI. From day one the rugged stuff had issues that they couldn’t fix. Helmets constantly would lose connection, poor radio transmission and constant “noise” through the system. He spent big money and had all top on the line gear. PCI commented on the piss poor install of not only the system in the truck but also the helmet kits and connectors. He has not had an issue since.

I think most problems go back to the install. I run a hodgepodge of components from various manufactures and it has been great. But I did the install myself, and tried to follow best practices. I think PCI does some stuff better than Rugged and vice versa.

In the end, all the cables and headsets are made in China or Korea. PCI radios are made in Japan, Rugged has the same radios from Japan and others from China. Rugged's intercoms are made overseas in Korea. I don't know who makes PCI's intercoms for them, but theirs look exactly like my Avcomm intercom, and again those are made in China or Korea.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
We have only used the car to car stuff a handful of times. We absolutely love the system it has made riding so much more enjoyable being able to talk to the kids and we sing to each other with the music from the iphone lol.....but yeah i want the buzzing gone....will pull everything apart when i get back out there after xmas!

I think you will be able to figure it out pretty quickly. While you are in there also make sure your antenna coax wire is isolated as well.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I would think its all about the install and not faulty components in my case...

Exactly. If it works perfect with the car off, the system is just getting feedback or interference somewhere.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
I have the filter in my Can Am, no buzz, no whine. I was also told the filter helps get any feedback out of the system when you talk, so others hear you better as well??

DaveH

Reaction score
So Ive had the Rugged Radio setup for about 2 years now. And since the first day i always have this buzzing or static that comes through the headsets. Sometimes its minimal sometimes it sux. I want it to be gone period. Youd think for 1500 bux it waould be pretty clear. It was installed by Adam at Wired for Sound before his passing. Not sure what the deal is. Any ideas.

Oh and its only buzzing when the car is on and under power. If the car is off there is no buzzing at all!
it sounds like you have the classic symptoms of a ground loop.

first you need to figure out if its the radio or the intercom that is causing it. to do this, unplug the intercom connection between the radio and intercom. if the buzzing is still there, then its the intercom and not the radio that is the source of the issue.

next, with the radio "out" of the system, as Rugged said.....take the intercom power and ground wires DIRECTLY to battery + and -. if you still have noise, then a filter may help.

if there is only noise when the radio is plugged in, the trouble is different ground potentials (think resistance) between the radio ground and the intercom ground. one trick is to either "float" the intercom ground (disconnect) or try grounding the intercom to the chassis of the radio. another option is to connect the ground wire from both the radio and intercom to the same ground wire that goes to battery -.

BigMountainMike

Reaction score
Cheap Chinese made junk put in a fancy box to catch your eye. These goons will set ANYONE up as a dealer, all you need is a credit card. Stay with PCI Race Radios, made in AMERICA. Backed by Americans !!!

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Get rid of the rugged filter and go buy the kenwood filter that PCI uses. It’s required on 2021 and new models with the bigger stator, but will also help on older units.

DLC

Reaction score
I had a intermittent problem and believe it was due to poor install, retire it to the batteries and add the filter

Bails

Reaction score
I have the PCI setup. The first time I installed it I ran the antenna wire and all other wires down the tunnel with everything else. Had alot of buzz. I reinstalled everything down the passenger side, which was a pain in the ass. So between the wire move and figuring out I had two headset wires in the wrong spot, it's all clear. Make sure your antenna wire is on its own.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
This.

Also - check the PTT wiring and antenna wiring.

PTT wire for push button talk needs to ran away from other wiring or it can cause interference. Ask Rugged what they recommned. We found this out in the desert with my buddies car, as he had major issues till we played with that.

Also - The antenna wiring is huge. It usually is longer than needed, and looped with the slack taken up somewhere. I don't remember what they recommend, but you can't just coil it up somewhere. There's a way to do it that affects reception and feedback tremendously. Ask them.

Finally - - antennae length for your range of frequencies can be fine tuned. Maybe ask about this.

Sorry I don't have specifics, but with Rugged's assistance on these items above we got my buddies car all fixed.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Since this thread turned into a shit on rugged thread, figured I would offer some balance. I am a huge PCI fanboy and will support them over rugged due to support of the racers and business practices. However, they are not immune to issues themselves. I had the switch on my intercom break so the unit wouldn't turn on. PCI stepped up and covered it under warranty, I just had to pay shipping

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So you are saying PCI intercoms are made in the USA with foreign parts, Got it 🤣. So is a SXS I know of and people bitch about it.

All the other components PCI offers aside from intercoms are made out of country. Honestly both brands seem mostly OK, and people have had problems with both as well. Most problems are from poor installs.

There are components I prefer from both brands honestly.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
So you are saying PCI intercoms are made in the USA with foreign parts, Got it 🤣. So is a SXS I know of and people bitch about it.

All the other components PCI offers aside from intercoms are made out of country. Honestly both brands seem mostly OK, and people have had problems with both as well. Most problems are from poor installs.

There are components I prefer from both brands honestly.
Agreed. My problems with Rugged stem from them sponsoring a race series and not allowing PCI into contingency to support racers running their equipment and buying the domain name pciraceradios.com to redirect to their website.