WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

It’s a New Law….Engine Ignition Cut-Off Switches Mandatory as of April 1, 2021

Water Romper

Reaction score
Sorry if this topic has been beat to the ground- but I was poking around RDP and I actually read what was posted about Cut-Off Switches. My lil 19 footer sounds like I'm a candidate for one of these things. Will LEO be on the look-out to see if these are installed after April? Are they easy to install? (I have a 250 Blk Max Merc outboard) Maybe its already there and I just never paid attention.
To be honest, my boat would continue to run, in gear if I were to be thrown so a little added safety wouldn't hurt.

Water Romper

Reaction score
I went and re-read the article, its pretty vague about specifics but one section does read:
This new mandate also applies to older boats which may not have been equipped with an ECOS device as part of the original equipment.
Guess I better do a bit of research and go look at my boat- sure don't need issues with local LEO.

Taboma

Reaction score
I went and re-read the article, its pretty vague about specifics but one section does read:
This new mandate also applies to older boats which may not have been equipped with an ECOS device as part of the original equipment.
Guess I better do a bit of research and go look at my boat- sure don't need issues with local LEO.

This should answer your questions ---- https://uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/engine-cut-off-devices.php
Or this FAQ from this USCG site --- https://uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/engine-cut-off-switch-faq.php

Or this from the FAQ page:

ECOS.JPG

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

Again it’s only for new boats.

carrera202

Reaction score

Like blackmagic said its for new boats, but if you install one you have to use it. In other words don't install one, and you'll be good.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
Boats built on or after Jan 2020.

Q6. What boats need to have an Engine Cut-Off Switch installed?
A6. Boats less than 26 feet in length that generate more than 115lbs of static thrust (~ 2-3hp) and were built beginning in January 2020. If the boats’ primary helm is inside an enclosed cabin it is not required to have an Engine Cut-Off Switch.

RichL

Reaction score
I guess I ask , why wouldnt anyone not have a kill switch ?
This is the question I ask as well. Current boat has switches and personal practice is to always have the "wrist strapped" lanyards on. Former boat didn't have one and one was installed. A friend was tossed years ago during a sanctioned race and it always made me wonder "what if" I was ever tossed