WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

It’s coming soon... get yore ass in shape

Hammer

Reaction score
I’m terrible at bench, but hit an all time max at 36, today after going back to a simple 5x5 program for 2 months. 240lbs @185. Buddy then repped it out 13 times @220lbs but screw him. Haha

I’ll get on the Peloton later today to really feel bad.

Nice work! I’ve never been great at bench. Picking up free weights soon. Bench came yesterday. I’ve always been a slacker at sit ups and core training. I’m really trying to focus on doing that daily with weights. Eventually bring in yoga if I can find time in the day.. My biggest goal is to become an active water skier at the lake this summer.

The biggest goal is to ski two-3 times a week at my local lake for cardio. It’s a long shot just because it’s not simple to just head to the lake during the week. Or weekend unless I get there at sunrise or evenings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fenderbender

Reaction score
I’m terrible at bench, but hit an all time max at 36, today after going back to a simple 5x5 program for 2 months. 240lbs @185. Buddy then repped it out 13 times @220lbs but screw him. Haha

I’ll get on the Peloton later today to really feel bad.

Hell yeah 5x5 works to build strength. I got such great strength gains last year with that method. Also I feel like the low reps don't wreak havoc on the joints either.

Fenderbender

Reaction score
Put extra effort in this morning. Was dealing with a head cold all week. Had to scale it back.

30 Min Hip Hop Ride- Alex T
10 Minute Core-On the 4th and final week of core training challenge - Emma Lovewell
10 Minute Bodyweight strength- Chase Tucker

Starting a stack and hopefully I can do all of them in a day.

My only complaint is I can’t track calories burnt on the peloton app on my phone and the peloton bike, if I do a workout on the phone app it doesn’t show the calories on the bike.

But I can track all activity/calories on my iPhone. I guess I’ll just track heart rate/calories on my Iwatch when I’m on the bike? I really like knowing what heart rate zone I’m in on the phone app.

I ordered a heart rate monitor to see if I can link that to the bike while Im on it.

Was hoping to have one app/place to track everything regardless of what I’m using (tablet/phone/peloton). [emoji3166]

Hell yes nice work! I use the Wahoo Tikr HR strap for the peloton and also the My Fitness pal to track HR when Im doing other stuff occasionally. You can also have the peloton workouts post to my fitness pal and it will combine everything when you put in separate workouts. This is also cool when or if you ever want to track your food because it will all be in one place.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Hell yeah 5x5 works to build strength. I got such great strength gains last year with that method. Also I feel like the low reps don't wreak havoc on the joints either.

I really like it because it’s effective and simple. Once the weights climb, squatting 3x/week does start to wear on you. I think I like GZCL and 5/3/1 better but needed a rest. My next program will be more strongman focused with giant sets.

Finally got my Scosche armband HRM today after getting a weird allergic reaction to the Garmin Dual HRM. Short/easy ride to get back in the swing of things.
B1B81052-D7A6-4F26-BCC9-8C93DDC003DA.png

8336DB0F-EB46-4AB7-8224-D937A54EF4A2.png

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Worst instructor ever. I took this ride because it was rated as hard, not because of the football part, as I refuse to follow the NFL anymore. I realize that it was a football themed ride, but good Gawd, apparently that just gives this instructor permission to just be a wannabe ESPN commentator and not tell you what to do. In the middle of the ride she's having you do sprints, but is too busy running her mouth about football shit to tell you when the interval is over. Geeeze. I'll never take another ride with her. It was a good burn though.
Screenshot_20210201-203244_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

Babyback

Reaction score
Worst instructor ever. I took this ride because it was rated as hard, not because of the football part, as I refuse to follow the NFL anymore. I realize that it was a football themed ride, but good Gawd, apparently that just gives this instructor permission to just be a wannabe ESPN commentator and not tell you what to do. In the middle of the ride she's having you do sprints, but is too busy running her mouth about football shit to tell you when the interval is over. Geeeze. I'll never take another ride with her. It was a good burn though. View attachment 968819

That ride looks insane...great job powering through 👍

Some instructors talk more than others and some are just down right annoying

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Worst instructor ever. I took this ride because it was rated as hard, not because of the football part, as I refuse to follow the NFL anymore. I realize that it was a football themed ride, but good Gawd, apparently that just gives this instructor permission to just be a wannabe ESPN commentator and not tell you what to do. In the middle of the ride she's having you do sprints, but is too busy running her mouth about football shit to tell you when the interval is over. Geeeze. I'll never take another ride with her. It was a good burn though. View attachment 968819

Top 10%! That's movin. Nice.

Fenderbender

Reaction score
Rowing is bad ass also. I wonder if they have some kind of programmed workout with an instructor that has intervals and stuff to make it interesting. I always row for 100 cal before I lift weights

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Rowing is bad ass also. I wonder if they have some kind of programmed workout with an instructor that has intervals and stuff to make it interesting. I always row for 100 cal before I lift weights

If you only want to deal with one machine, thats the one, it works more muscles than any other machine I know of.
The cycle/spin machines work mostly the legs and not much else.

The nordic track has follow along vids " I fit" - different instructors lakes, pacing, strength vs stamina runs. Its pretty cool. They walk you through it egging you on.
The wife uses these modes more than I do.

Im kinda old school and the way I worked was me against machine Id rather listen to some tunes and try to get in a zone the follow some fuck in better shape than me.
I go with the manual mode that shows a 400M "track" and your progress against it, and try to do X laps or X minutes., or row against the " split time".

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
can one of you come over and kick me in my ass, and get me moving again... I am having the worst year since last April, of getting motivated... ugh... But this thread has me thinking!

Reactions: DWC

Hammer

Reaction score
IMG_3612.png

Came up 2 points short of my PR. I pushed for it at the end. MOTHER EFFER! [emoji2959][emoji3062]

I think I need to eat more. Without weighing out my meals is there a way to know how much healthy food I should eat? I just need a ballpark. I don’t have the patience or time to meal prep and weigh every meal.

M-F
Breakfast- either 2 cups of oatmeal or 1 egg. Sometimes a banana.

Lunch- 1/2 chicken breast or red meat(left over steak,ribs etc.)and a lot of veggies. Or A big can of tuna once a week.

I’m not sure how accurate the calorie counter is on my iwatch. But it averages 1000-1200 calories a day. Not sure if that helps..

Dinner- wife cooks. Typically a whole chicken breast or steak, a decent portion of veggies and a salad.

Not sure if I should add in a protein shake or something? I noticed I wake up starving in the middle of the night, or no energy at like 8:30 ish.

In the morning I do 10 minute core and 10 minute full body weight workout. If I have time I mix in a 15 minute ride.

I do most of my rides at night(20-30 minute, depends how sore and tired I am)8:30-10 ish because I get a Second wind and the kids are asleep.

DWC

Reaction score
View attachment 969889
Came up 2 points short of my PR. I pushed for it at the end. MOTHER EFFER! [emoji2959][emoji3062]

I think I need to eat more. Without weighing out my meals is there a way to know how much healthy food I should eat? I just need a ballpark. I don’t have the patience or time to meal prep and weigh every meal.

M-F
Breakfast- either 2 cups of oatmeal or 1 egg. Sometimes a banana.

Lunch- 1/2 chicken breast or red meat(left over steak,ribs etc.)and a lot of veggies. Or A big can of tuna once a week.

I’m not sure how accurate the calorie counter is on my iwatch. But it averages 1000-1200 calories a day. Not sure if that helps..

Dinner- wife cooks. Typically a whole chicken breast or steak, a decent portion of veggies and a salad.

Not sure if I should add in a protein shake or something? I noticed I wake up starving in the middle of the night, or no energy at like 8:30 ish.

In the morning I do 10 minute core and 10 minute full body weight workout. If I have time I mix in a 15 minute ride.

I do most of my rides at night(20-30 minute, depends how sore and tired I am)8:30-10 ish because I get a Second wind and the kids are asleep.

1,200 calories is pretty low. I’d add a couple pieces of fruit between meals. Old school, I’d make sure there’s at least a handful of protein in each meal.

Fenderbender

Reaction score
@Hammer 1200 is pretty low for it to be sustainable. If I recall you are about my height or slightly taller. I would shoot for closer to 18-2200 and a good ratio that I can keep up without trying really is not more than 150 carbs / about 150 protien and the rest fat. So you might want to look at the most common stuff you eat and figure out the macros on that and then just mix and match. For instance chicken breast 40g protein banana 30f carbs etc and then throw it all in a cooler for the day and when your done with the food your done eating . Lol

It really has been so helpful for me to go for about a month measuring my food and eating with very specific goals in mind so that after that month you pretty much know what your plates should look like.

With that said it has been a year or so since I’ve done that so I’m due for a reminder. Ive been trying to get my ass back in shape and most of it really is dirt.

Hammer

Reaction score
@Hammer 1200 is pretty low for it to be sustainable. If I recall you are about my height or slightly taller. I would shoot for closer to 18-2200 and a good ratio that I can keep up without trying really is not more than 150 carbs / about 150 protien and the rest fat. So you might want to look at the most common stuff you eat and figure out the macros on that and then just mix and match. For instance chicken breast 40g protein banana 30f carbs etc and then throw it all in a cooler for the day and when your done with the food your done eating . Lol

It really has been so helpful for me to go for about a month measuring my food and eating with very specific goals in mind so that after that month you pretty much know what your plates should look like.

With that said it has been a year or so since I’ve done that so I’m due for a reminder. Ive been trying to get my ass back in shape and most of it really is dirt.

I’m 5’11 235ish. The 1200 Calories is in my “activity”. That’s what I burn a day. Not my intake.

Unless your saying my meals are 1200 calories?

Babyback

Reaction score
I was going to do that ride last night. How was it?

Although, in other classes I have taken with him he seemed to do a lot of self promotion, which was annoying.

Ha! Ha! Yep he does talk a lot...he actually said during the ride, I’m going to let the music do the talking.

I enjoyed the ride and the music...pretty chill ride

Babyback

Reaction score
I would have figured the pace would be a bit slower on a bob Marley ride. :cool:

It is a bit slower, I pushed a bit harder...rated at a 7.3 for difficulty

DWC

Reaction score
Havasu routine is a little different. Instead of rotating heavy push, pull, overhead days it’s a circuit. Medium weight, medium reps, 5 exercises and out. The bike riding here is a net neutral deal at best. Stops at boat house and the copper distillery negate the pedaling benefits.
F2BB5829-6DD1-4B09-ABDE-C8427BCD8F32.jpeg

C372652D-D694-4414-AB75-CAF3715763B5.jpeg

Fenderbender

Reaction score
Havasu routine is a little different. Instead of rotating heavy push, pull, overhead days it’s a circuit. Medium weight, medium reps, 5 exercises and out. The bike riding here is a net neutral deal at best. Stops at boat house and the copper distillery negate the pedaling benefits.
View attachment 969986

View attachment 969987

Nice setup there [emoji108]

Hammer

Reaction score
Weights came in last night. Started the morning out with upper body work out. Ended up downloading the MyFitnessPal app to document my food intake like FB recommended.

Very easy to use and syncs with all the apps. It’s seems like A LOT of food. I’m going to have to work at hitting that every day...

View attachment 970363
View attachment 970364
View attachment 970365

Fenderbender

Reaction score
Hell yeah man you are on a roll!

On a side note that the msm isn’t pushing at all is that being healthy and strong is the best defense for viruses and depression!

Headed to the gym now to keep the ball rolling [emoji1690]

DWC

Reaction score
Getting in workout 16 tonight. (Old school back with leg press thrown in) Up 3 workouts in the family contest with 6 days to go in the bet.. :oops: If i could just cut out the silver bullets and/or bottle(s) of wine it might have been a more productive month.

Hammer

Reaction score
Weights came in last night. Started the morning out with upper body work out. Ended up downloading the MyFitnessPal app to document my food intake like FB recommended.

Very easy to use and syncs with all the apps. It’s seems like A LOT of food. I’m going to have to work at hitting that every day...

View attachment 970363
View attachment 970364
View attachment 970365

Follow up... I feel bloated all the time. Too much food. Going to dial back the settings and eat less... leg work out and 30 minute ride tonight.

DWC

Reaction score
Still at 30min rides but feeling better overall. My ass isn’t sore as hell anymore. Maybe it’s the gel seat, maybe I’m getting used to it, maybe the bike isn’t the reason my ass hurt. I do need to learn not to push it on leg press/deadlifts the day before. More stretching for sure.
At least my heart doesn’t feel like it’s gonna pop out of my chest anymore.
F92BB588-BF7F-487E-925B-1280CA61512E.jpeg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Follow up... I feel bloated all the time. Too much food. Going to dial back the settings and eat less... leg work out and 30 minute ride tonight.

Try apple cider vinegar, pineapples and or oranges. Worked for me.

Hammer

Reaction score

Thanks for the insight FB![emoji106] I’m going from eating nothing but shit during the day and high sodium meats and pastas for dinner 3 days a week to eating clean(ER).I’m going to get a food scale. I’m having a tough time eyeballing how much food I should eat or not. I’ve always been a binge eater. A lot of trial and error trying to eat a balanced diet so far. I’m over on the fats by like 5G on average(I like avocado and can eat a hole one every day, but it seems to put me “over”) and low on the carbs, fiber and sugar based on the MyFitnessPal app. I’m thinking of adding protein shake as a snack or meal replacement. It might be easier balance out. I may need to add more vegetables during the day though. I’ve never put this much thought into it before. It’s a lot of work! I’d like to get to a point where I just know what to eat and how much without thinking about it. Then enjoy my weekends eating out or being more relaxed.

The only other thing I need to do is figure out rest days, sometimes I don’t know if I’m tired and being lazy or if I need to put in a rest day. I’m going 6 days a week right now for the past 7 weeks. I feel I have more time on the weekends to log a long work out. Right now I don’t get started until 8:30 or 9. Then I can sleep.. lol

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Technically tonight was my 99th ride, but I decided to go into my profile and delete all of my cool down rides so that when I hit my Century Ride it will be for all legit, actual workouts. Sure, any time logged on the bike counts and is a good thing, but, as in everything I do in life, I tend to derive more enjoyment when I go above and beyond, so I've now got 30 more to go to get to 100.
Screenshot_20210210-222559_Chrome.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
Technically tonight was my 99th ride, but I decided to go into my profile and delete all of my cool down rides so that when I hit my Century Ride it will be for all legit, actual workouts. Sure, any time logged on the bike counts and is a good thing, but, as in everything I do in life, I tend to derive more enjoyment when I go above and beyond, so I've now got 30 more to go to get to 100. View attachment 971726

I can’t say I would have done the same..Good on you DB! [emoji106][emoji41]

Fenderbender

Reaction score
@Hammer that is definitely a great path and trial and error to figure out what works for you is a cool experiment and give you so much insight on how food effects everything. Keep it up dude [emoji106]

@DaytonaBabe yeah that is definitely a solid goal for the century. Your numbers a awesome !

I’m back from a weekend of dirtbikes and fun food in the desert. Time to get back in the game! I will probably do some kind of free weight circuit and a mountain bike ride tomorrow morning while the weather is beautiful.

Hammer

Reaction score
@Hammer that is definitely a great path and trial and error to figure out what works for you is a cool experiment and give you so much insight on how food effects everything. Keep it up dude [emoji106]

@DaytonaBabe yeah that is definitely a solid goal for the century. Your numbers a awesome !

I’m back from a weekend of dirtbikes and fun food in the desert. Time to get back in the game! I will probably do some kind of free weight circuit and a mountain bike ride tomorrow morning while the weather is beautiful.

Thanks FB! I switched it up this week and I’m going to keep this program for awhile. I would run out of time in the mornings to get a full workout in and it sucked working out at 8 at night when the kids were in bed. I’d be up until 11:30-midnight after I was done. Here’s the new routine:

20-30 minute ride every morning
20-30 minute Weights in the evening.

I had to cut down on my breakfast and lunch meals. My wife usually makes a big dinner and it would wipe me out. Felt lethargic. So eating light during the day and will eat a larger meal at dinner to get me to 12-1500 calories for the day. Then weight work out..

Skater368

Upon My Request This is all Folks Skater368/nganga
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight FB![emoji106] I’m going from eating nothing but shit during the day and high sodium meats and pastas for dinner 3 days a week to eating clean(ER).I’m going to get a food scale. I’m having a tough time eyeballing how much food I should eat or not. I’ve always been a binge eater. A lot of trial and error trying to eat a balanced diet so far. I’m over on the fats by like 5G on average(I like avocado and can eat a hole one every day, but it seems to put me “over”) and low on the carbs, fiber and sugar based on the MyFitnessPal app. I’m thinking of adding protein shake as a snack or meal replacement. It might be easier balance out. I may need to add more vegetables during the day though. I’ve never put this much thought into it before. It’s a lot of work! I’d like to get to a point where I just know what to eat and how much without thinking about it. Then enjoy my weekends eating out or being more relaxed.

The only other thing I need to do is figure out rest days, sometimes I don’t know if I’m tired and being lazy or if I need to put in a rest day. I’m going 6 days a week right now for the past 7 weeks. I feel I have more time on the weekends to log a long work out. Right now I don’t get started until 8:30 or 9. Then I can sleep.. lol

For feeling optimal during hi-intensity workouts, CARBS!!! You cannot over-do carbs. Watch these and you'll see. For my Interval/Sweet Spot Tempo days, I fuel at a rate of 80-100 carbs an hour, during the workout. I actually feel better late in the program than I do early. Watch the "Carbs are Legal Dope" one if you need to just choose one. Again, you cannot take too many carbs in during. The math is explained in these.

I use SIS gels. (Science in Sport) they have 22 gr carbs. I take one when I wake, then when I get on the bike (Outside). Then every 15-20 minutes. Your input is dictated by your stomachs ability to process without stomach distress. They have both Caffeinated and Non. I normally wont use the ones with Caffeine. They have 75gr and a whopping 150gr version if you like. That's far too much Caffeine for me.

You do not need to be a super high level cyclist to feel the benefit of this.

DWC

Reaction score
Finished up the first ride of our new family challenge. Kicked it up to try to get in the top 10 of the current group to see what that was like. Damn, that was a tough 30min ride.
3E5E10C8-7E3D-4CE2-91EA-2B2058FC0D21.jpeg
17EA409F-D47E-4DF5-BFB8-DFE35DC6DDF8.jpeg
“Won” the family challenge that ended on Valentines Day. Daughter said double or nothing for on now through Easter. Planning on easily winning back my money. :D

676FBFA8-52CE-4C1B-8086-C4EFB1F8DFA7.jpeg

DWC

Reaction score
Good ride today between conference calls. Set a new PR which is probably normal with under 10rides. I still need to work on stretching/warming up before. (Started to cramp up midway through the ride.)
Having a leaderboard to chase and the instructor pushing definitely makes a difference
E4F2832D-A00C-4BE3-99F1-3B55ECD4B4A0.jpeg

Family challenge part 2 is off to a good start. Day after Valentines to Easter. Good competition except for the youngest who really doesn’t like to sweat..
143FB293-4BC3-45DC-8D19-2E9D95931D36.jpeg