WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

It's A Start (Non-Cannabis Gardening)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
OK, my tinfoil hat is pretty worn, and food costs have my funds dipping like crypto. Aside from buying pallets of MRE's, what's a monkey to do?
Get to work.
Found some 24" culverts on CL. These things are not cheap new, but a couple up in Ashfork are slowing their ranch down a bit. So, hitch up and roll out.
20220414_135106.jpg

They were 9-12ft long, so I ripped them lengthwise to make troughs.
20220414_135057.jpg

These halves were probably 100-150lbs each, almost 3/4" thick. Pretty stout.
20220426_115350.jpg

Here are the bases I put together. Leveled side to side, and front to back. That is a piece of .120 wall dom. It was the only straight edge long enough I had.
20220426_125218.jpg

The ends were capped with roof flashing tin. Down the center a 4" leach pipe was laid, with 3-rock...like a reservoir. The rock was covered in weed cloth, and filled with planter mix.
20220620_110957.jpg

It's getting there...slowly.
20220708_180808.jpg

20220708_180734.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Even in our suburban backyard the critters get most of the bounty, good luck ever eating any of it!
The major offenders are cottontails out here. That was the reasoning behind the raised planters. The other option is trapping all the rabbits...but they're self sufficient "emergency meat";)
My first garden has yielded very little . I have managed to spend a bunch of money and used a ton of water . I hope your garden does well
This year was not really intended for a major crop. We have stuff in the stores still, and hopefully it will stay that way. If that changes, I'd like to be more prepared. So, this is more of a trial run. This way I can figure out my soil balances and watering, and have more compost ready. Water use is limited by the use of drip tube and a timer. We are on a well, so the power bill isn't too effected by the water use. Down the road, I hope to make use of rain catch tanks to offset the ag use.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
OK, my tinfoil hat is pretty worn, and food costs have my funds dipping like crypto. Aside from buying pallets of MRE's, what's a monkey to do?
Get to work.
Found some 24" culverts on CL. These things are not cheap new, but a couple up in Ashfork are slowing their ranch down a bit. So, hitch up and roll out.
View attachment 1134417
View attachment 1134421
View attachment 1134422
Here are the bases I put together. Leveled side to side, and front to back. That is a piece of .120 wall dom. It was the only straight edge long enough I had. View attachment 1134424
The ends were capped with roof flashing tin. Down the center a 4" leach pipe was laid, with 3-rock...like a reservoir. The rock was covered in weed cloth, and filled with planter mix. View attachment 1134425
It's getting there...slowly. View attachment 1134426
View attachment 1134427

We have tomatoes going, green peppers, green onions, potatoes, green beans.. all stuff the wife started from some shit when we were cleaning out the fridge!

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
We have tomatoes going, green peppers, green onions, potatoes, green beans.. all stuff the wife started from some shit when we were cleaning out the fridge!

Had her put the potatoes in boxes so they dont take over the yard, shits like bamboo in that aspect!
20220708_195520.jpg

One of the tomato plants
20220708_195527.jpg

When she started the green onions and green peppers
20220708_195730.jpg

All started from old veggies out of the crisper

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We started 3 potato planters, maybe 20" cylinders? One has 5 reds going, another has 5 whites. The third was planted with 5 lumps of a standard grocery store Russet. One of the five spouted, and is massive! Weird how that one seems so different.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Awesome!!! When the SHTF can I compensate you to help us set up the 40 acres we have near Seligman? ok thanks your the best!!!!!

grumpy88

Reaction score
The major offenders are cottontails out here. That was the reasoning behind the raised planters. The other option is trapping all the rabbits...but they're self sufficient "emergency meat";)

This year was not really intended for a major crop. We have stuff in the stores still, and hopefully it will stay that way. If that changes, I'd like to be more prepared. So, this is more of a trial run. This way I can figure out my soil balances and watering, and have more compost ready. Water use is limited by the use of drip tube and a timer. We are on a well, so the power bill isn't too effected by the water use. Down the road, I hope to make use of rain catch tanks to offset the ag use.
Lol . I dug holes and shoved 100 dollars in the ground . I dont know why my stuff will not grow . Lol

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… I don’t have a vegetable garden… But I did sit out in my backyard and watch my figs on my fig tree grow for about a half hour today👍
… I was probably about 15 the last time I timed it right to pick the figs just as they ripened…
234A1FB7-B333-4915-AABF-13D61FCC119E.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@monkeyswrench I really like your set up! I was going to something similar with horse troughs but I like your set up! Nice work!
Water tanks are expensive! That, and the rusted out ones I have are reserved for chicken brooders. That chapter will be coming up. I saw the raised planters with galvy culverts. For the amount of square footage, it was going to get stupid expensive.

Quite the different tone from your post from last night. Whatever it takes to get the “Om” on. 😉
Last night I was fit to be tied. I've always been the type to work while stressed, but also stress about getting stuff done. Lately, I'm trying to finish about 3 major projects that will help in the long run...regardless of the economy, politics or climate change! Last night sucked, but also reminds me why stuff needs to get done.

Awesome!!! When the SHTF can I compensate you to help us set up the 40 acres we have near Seligman? ok thanks your the best!!!!!
I'd suggest setting up what you can soon!
I'm more than willing to help when you're ready...no need for compensation. I'm not too good with some stuff, but I'm always learning. @wash11 has the blueprint of what needs to be done and how to do it😍 Water and some form of power would be my first two.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Water tanks are expensive! That, and the rusted out ones I have are reserved for chicken brooders. That chapter will be coming up. I saw the raised planters with galvy culverts. For the amount of square footage, it was going to get stupid expensive.

Last night I was fit to be tied. I've always been the type to work while stressed, but also stress about getting stuff done. Lately, I'm trying to finish about 3 major projects that will help in the long run...regardless of the economy, politics or climate change! Last night sucked, but also reminds me why stuff needs to get done.

I'd suggest setting up what you can soon!
I'm more than willing to help when you're ready...no need for compensation. I'm not too good with some stuff, but I'm always learning. @wash11 has the blueprint of what needs to be done and how to do it😍 Water and some form of power would be my first two.
There is always the water used for the cattle. It is nice and green so you know it has to be good. LOL. The problem is that I do not want to do anything on the land since there is not anyone on it most of the time. I will have wait until the SHTF. When is the next time that you are going to be in Havasu? We have to meet up once agai……. Or you could join us in Hawaii some time. 👍

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@HNL2LHC , there are a lot of connex boxes hidden in the trees out there. At one time, I was looking at some property out that way for the same purpose. I had looked into building out a connex. Frame out the interior, complete with windows and entry. What I'd looked at is cutting the exterior metal out, and hinging the pieces, like storm shutters. Basically, a giant Jobox/camper. Build it out at home, haul it out and lock it down. As a whole though, not a lot of crime out there. Everyone knows who should be around...and everyone knows the people are well equipped to take care of themselves too!

As for Havasu, I have no idea...almost went out this weekend. Now Hawaii...well that's on the list. Wife wants to take the kids there. Almost went, then covid happened. Wife and I have only been once, 22 years ago last week in fact 😂 Honeymoon packages are a bit cheaper than family of 5. If we do it, I want to make sure we do it right, and covid wasn't helping that.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
@HNL2LHC , there are a lot of connex boxes hidden in the trees out there. At one time, I was looking at some property out that way for the same purpose. I had looked into building out a connex. Frame out the interior, complete with windows and entry. What I'd looked at is cutting the exterior metal out, and hinging the pieces, like storm shutters. Basically, a giant Jobox/camper. Build it out at home, haul it out and lock it down. As a whole though, not a lot of crime out there. Everyone knows who should be around...and everyone knows the people are well equipped to take care of themselves too!

As for Havasu, I have no idea...almost went out this weekend. Now Hawaii...well that's on the list. Wife wants to take the kids there. Almost went, then covid happened. Wife and I have only been once, 22 years ago last week in fact 😂 Honeymoon packages are a bit cheaper than family of 5. If we do it, I want to make sure we do it right, and covid wasn't helping that.
Sounds like we need to meet up sometime with both families. We have friends in you area and hopping to get out there this summer/fall. I will let you know when we are out there and maybe it will work with your schedule. I am in Hawaii each month so if there is a time we can plan that out as well before the apocalypse happens. LOL

lenmann

Reaction score
Raised planting kicks ass when you live on property. Up here (Shasta Co.) the enemies are gophers, jack rabbits, ground squirrels and deer. Livestock troughs are broadly available, sturdy and, and competitive cost wise compared to other alternatives (unless you score surplus big-ass drain pipe). 10 foot tall fence keeps the deer out but they lie in the shade about 10' away, wifey talks to em...

Todays bounty: tomatoes and peppers done blowed up.
CDC61585-387F-44B8-B2CA-784ACFCBAE59.jpeg

16F199FE-51BB-4666-B9F5-AD4577265096.jpeg
4EB8C8BA-2E01-4C37-96B3-6BCA02009711.jpeg

Onions did good this winter too. I smell some killer salsa in my future.
8FB24379-7484-4E2A-9D98-63282F4F98C8.jpeg

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Wow nice setups guys. Love the up-cycled beds. Where did you learn how to design them?

For how simple the idea is, raised bed subsistence farming solves an awful lot of challenges with traditional dry land agriculture. My favorite being the ergonomic benefit of working while standing up lol.

I’ve been balls deep in podcasts, books, youtubes and general google rabbit holes for all things vertical farming lately. I would of never thought there would be so much data out there to play with. Two weeks in and there’s a pretty legit excel model coming together as part of a feasibility study on urban commercial grow ops.

Headed down to Mesa tomorrow to check out TrueGardenAZ and take an intro class.

Their aeroponic greenhouse looks gorgeous online.
F877D4E7-0911-40E0-8A98-B2FDB49760EA.jpeg

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
There is always the water used for the cattle. It is nice and green so you know it has to be good. LOL. The problem is that I do not want to do anything on the land since there is not anyone on it most of the time. I will have wait until the SHTF. When is the next time that you are going to be in Havasu? We have to meet up once agai……. Or you could join us in Hawaii some time. 👍

Speaking of owning land and free range cattle. We've got our 40 acres on the north end of the Peacock Mountains, where Route 66 passes by Hackberry, Valentine, Truxton, etc. Much of the surrounding land is used for cattle ranching by X-Bar-One, and those bastards don't observer property lines. In Arizona, because mining, ranching and farming have a higher priority than the residents, any protection from these critters is the landowners problem, not the ranchers. If you don't want cattle eating your vegetation, the fencing is your burden.
My ranch neighbors, the ones who live there, hate the cows as it's a constant battle to maintain their fencing from these bovine bulldozers.

One one my neighbors just posted this on our community FB page --- so I'll share, although I realize you're in Yavapai County, not Mohave like we are.

Neighbors, I just sent this letter to our District One Supervisor.
Honorable Supervisor Lingenfelter,
I just read this in the Kingman Miner:

"According to a Mohave County news release, a class 2 misdemeanor is punishable by up to four months in jail and a fine of up to $750. The intentional, knowing or reckless provision of food or water to livestock in an open range will become a class 2 misdemeanor ..."
Can you please explain this nonsense??!!
I can now face misdemeanor charges when the rancher's livestock trespass upon MY private property and eat what sparse vegetation I have left?!?
This is outrageous!! I have already spent over $10k on fencing just half of my 40-acre home and still have not completed the perimeter in an attempt to keep these cattle from destroying our home, gardens, and property. Just this morning I awoke to a dozen cattle eating our trees and reaching over the garden fence!

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Awesome thread monkey!! I love our garden, this is our third year. We have been getting onions tomatoes and lettuce thus far. Nice on salads and hamburgers. We have many other things but this year our new crop is brussel sprouts. So far they are doing good. Our biggest enemy over here in our garden is the birds and affids. Wife ordered 2000 lady bugs and the garden has ticker tape every where. Our next move is going to be a greenhouse and chicken coupe. For the same reasons as you. I'm actually working on building a sink stand today for washing our veggies. I'll post some pics of that and our garden.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Speaking of owning land and free range cattle. We've got our 40 acres on the north end of the Peacock Mountains, where Route 66 passes by Hackberry, Valentine, Truxton, etc. Much of the surrounding land is used for cattle ranching by X-Bar-One, and those bastards don't observer property lines. In Arizona, because mining, ranching and farming have a higher priority than the residents, any protection from these critters is the landowners problem, not the ranchers. If you don't want cattle eating your vegetation, the fencing is your burden.
My ranch neighbors, the ones who live there, hate the cows as it's a constant battle to maintain their fencing from these bovine bulldozers.

One one my neighbors just posted this on our community FB page --- so I'll share, although I realize you're in Yavapai County, not Mohave like we are.

"According to a Mohave County news release, a class 2 misdemeanor is punishable by up to four months in jail and a fine of up to $750. The intentional, knowing or reckless provision of food or water to livestock in an open range will become a class 2 misdemeanor ..."
I can now face misdemeanor charges when the rancher's livestock trespass upon MY private property and eat what sparse vegetation I have left?!?
This is outrageous!! I have already spent over $10k on fencing just half of my 40-acre home and still have not completed the perimeter in an attempt to keep these cattle from destroying our home, gardens, and property. Just this morning I awoke to a dozen cattle eating our trees and reaching over the garden fence!

Yeah sorry I read about your fence investment after the fact.

I suppose you'd be fine if you're shooing them out. It's the people that run them down aggressively.

I think as an open range state aren't we supposed to fence them out if you don't want them to trespass?

It's only a problem when you catch them on your unfenced property and push them away from water or food. I'm not a game warden but this is how I've always understood the free range thing

Gelcoater

Reaction score
My wife picked up one of these deals a couple seasons ago.
47626B0E-A3F0-48EE-8443-836D6152BEA1.png

3ED69668-2EAA-40D5-8D1A-D97231A1ED37.png
16A9964C-BC7B-4E0F-A38F-7D15C129A771.png

They aren’t cheap but they are also not cheap, so to speak.
Green Stalk has been around decades, American company and made in the USA.
Gravity fed deal and can be had in 2-5 tier units.

They would work well on an apartment or condo balcony and not take much space.

Taboma

Reaction score
Yeah sorry I read about your fence investment after the fact.

I suppose you'd be fine if you're shooing them out. It's the people that run them down aggressively.

I think as an open range state aren't we supposed to fence them out if you don't want them to trespass?

It's only a problem when you catch them on your unfenced property and push them away from water or food. I'm not a game warden but this is how I've always understood the free range thing

Yes, the fencing provision, has always been our burden. In a couple of cases the cattle rancher stepped up and shared the cost of a couple of cattle guards, but what a joke --- they just walk around and come in through the washes.
I think my neighbor's question is regarding this NEW provision ---- " The intentional, knowing or reckless provision of food or water to livestock in an open range" ---

Can the homeowner be found at fault for NOT properly protecting his water and crops FROM the cows as being "Intentional, knowing or Reckless" ------ In other words "How dare you let my cows eat your petunias and chew off your PVC water storage tank valve, now I'm going to sue your ass" ????

Yes, when the cows get really thirsty, they've been known to head for your 5,000 gallon water tank and break the valve off in order to get a drink.

Because we use our property for just getting away from it all recreationally, and a just in case "End Times" scenario, when we're out and about exploring in our SxS we think the cows encounters are kinda fun. Well I do, my wife for some reason finds a large bull with horns standing in our path, daring us to a challenge, intimidating --- starts getting a bit worked up over it. 🤣

propcheck

Reaction score

If you have fenced property it is no longer “free range” so you Are not reckless in planting grass or vegetable that can cause bloat and kill the cattle. I am sure your supervisor will clear it up for you as to why they needed a law to stop people from ”intentional planting” things that are harmful to cattle In an “open range”. You should never have an issue with this. 👍

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Yes, the fencing provision, has always been our burden. In a couple of cases the cattle rancher stepped up and shared the cost of a couple of cattle guards, but what a joke --- they just walk around and come in through the washes.
I think my neighbor's question is regarding this NEW provision ---- " The intentional, knowing or reckless provision of food or water to livestock in an open range" ---

Can the homeowner be found at fault for NOT properly protecting his water and crops FROM the cows as being "Intentional, knowing or Reckless" ------ In other words "How dare you let my cows eat your petunias and chew off your PVC water storage tank valve, now I'm going to sue your ass" ????

Yes, when the cows get really thirsty, they've been known to head for your 5,000 gallon water tank and break the valve off in order to get a drink.

Because we use our property for just getting away from it all recreationally, and a just in case "End Times" scenario, when we're out and about exploring in our SxS we think the cows encounters are kinda fun. Well I do, my wife for some reason finds a large bull with horns standing in our path, daring us to a challenge, intimidating --- starts getting a bit worked up over it. 🤣
Ok I'm tracking now. Yeah I don't know how that would work. My hope would be commen sense law would be too bad for the rancher. But that seems hard to come by these days.

hallett21

Reaction score
If you have fenced property it is no longer “free range” so you Are not reckless in planting grass or vegetable that can cause bloat and kill the cattle. I am sure your supervisor will clear it up for you as to why they needed a law to stop people from ”intentional planting” things that are harmful to cattle In an “open range”. You should never have an issue with this. 👍
Can you get in trouble if “dangerous” grasses spread outside the fence line? The assumption being that it wouldn’t have spread if you hadn’t originally grown it?

Taboma

Reaction score
"Open range", isn't always "OPEN" as we picture a large vastness of flat grazing land. I think what pisses off the landowners is knowing that the rancher sold this huge tract of land to a developer for the big bucks. The developer splits this rugged mountainous territory into 40 acre parcels, makes roads, sells the "Ranch Community".
BUT, the rancher still runs his cattle on these large squares of State Lease Land located within the confines of this community he sold his land to have developed.
Then he sez --- well folks, if you want to protect YOUR property, now you need to fence it, as my cows that aren't really leaving, will eat and break your shit. Now the rancher, in this case, some rich bag of bones from Switzerland, knows most owners won't spend the huge dollars to fence their entire parcels which consist of mountain, canyon and washes, so for the rancher it's "Win Win"

And once again, the age old war between the Ranchers and the Farmers continues even in these modern times.

But yes, I believe you are correct in your interpretation, if you want to plant something that might endanger a cow, it's your burden to keep the cow from consuming it, not the cow's owner.

Odd, in most other respects, it's the animal's owner's responsibility to contain their animal(s), not the community's.
So if cattle stampeded through a town, wreck the buildings and trample the people, it's the town's fault if a cow gets injured ?

I dunno, I can say, I've never met a ranch neighbor who likes cows, other than to dine on 🤣

Taboma

Reaction score
Ok I'm tracking now. Yeah I don't know how that would work. My hope would be commen sense law would be too bad for the rancher. But that seems hard to come by these days.
I think the lines get blurred when what used to be wide open range land starts becoming populated with folks with different strokes.
I think this WAR has been waged for several hundred years out west. Would seem that the cows still have more rights than humans.
As our population numbers grow and more folks want to expand away from the cities ---- and the ranchers see a big profit in selling off large parcels of their land to accommodate this trend, yet continues his ranching, maybe they should share some of the burden of protecting their own damned cows. As it stands now, he sells YOU his land, but continues to run his cows on it, unless you bear the expense of stopping them.
There's the RUB and call to battle.

Taboma

Reaction score
Besides our several avocado and orange trees, about the only edible we grow are tomatoes. So each year I plant one larger and one cherry varieties.
This year's cherry is called a "Sweet One Million" and holy shite they weren't joking. They are really yummy sweet (Lots of calcium amended in the soil too) and certainly plentiful.
No worms, no pests other than one cocky-ass mockingbird and this piece of shit tomato robber squirrel. My game cam caught that prick red-handed. So now both plants are draped with bird netting and so far it's been a great deterrent.

Squirrel problem 6-5-22.jpg
So I built this framework to support the netting ----

20220706_082501.jpg

This guy is eating the new shoots off my wife's favorite rose bushes, he's so damned handsome she's giving him a pass. We just can't figure out what he's doing several nights a week out in our avocado grove ?? I relocated a game cam, hoping to find out.

Buck 7-4-22-sm.jpg

Attachments

• 20220706_082501.jpg
    20220706_082501.jpg
    1,014.9 KB · Views: 17

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
The ends were capped with roof flashing tin. Down the center a 4" leach pipe was laid, with 3-rock...like a reservoir. The rock was covered in weed cloth, and filled with planter mix.
Just a little feedback, mostly for long term development.

Raised beds in the temperate zone mean good germination and high yields, but they are kind of encumbered when average day/night temperatures, and thus temperatures of the soil in the raised bed, rises above 70 degrees or so (say >80 daytime and >60 at night for weeks at a time). It gets REALLY bad if the temps rise to an average of 80 or more. What happens is that fungi and bacteria and other soil microbes are encouraged. Good and BAD ones. The bad ones eat your roots, or encourage rust/mold that feed on leaves or stalks or roots.

You either need to chill the soil when this happens, (dump ice in once or twice a day) or plan for it and install a shadecloth cover in summer/fall.

If you experience chronic fungal soil infection, you will need to throw out all the soil, wash out the containers with bleach a couple times, then rebuild.

The good about the temperate zone is that the growing season is SO long. I was able to harvest lettuce and kale and other leafy stuff throughout the year.

Radishes and other root crops when the days were cooler.

Never had much luck with Tomatoes because no matter what I did, tobacco hornworms would show up and those darn things can devastate a plant in less than a week - they double in size daily by eating 4 times their weight by eating both day and night. Moths are a problem as well...all kinds of them, so if you start to see chewed leaves, get some steel cloth or some mesh to protect whatever they seem to want to munch on. Try to examine your plants for their eggs of that happens too...the eggs look like grain of sand size white or green globs. You will find lots of the baby larvae while you do that as well.

Here is a pic of my 2020 winter crop
lettuce.jpg

20200420_121152.jpg

here is some that I transplanted to give to my neighbors when the pandemic hit
lettuce2.jpg

I have a boysenberry bush that is about 3 years old now...we get two or three cobblers out of it every year.

boysenberries.jpg

Some radishes seemed to smile back at us when we harvested them and sliced them for salad

smiling radishes.jpg

here's the 2016 crop. pretty much year round harvesting, I would go out two or three times a week and pick off grown leaves, bring them in and wash them, and refrigerate...the pickings would last two or three days (obviously) in the mean time plants had grown and more big leaves were out there to harvest.
2016 lettuce.jpg

we also have a few fruit trees. Oranges planted last fall have not begun bearing, but our lemon tree yields about 100 lemons every four months or so...enough for a few jars of curd and three or four gallons of lemonade. We have a California native Madrone that also bears edible fruit...they look (and taste, sort of) like strawberries, but are a bit astringent...which means they are good
for you.

madroneberries.jpg

They fall to the ground mostly...I eat one or two a day when they ripen in the fall. I let most of them fall to the ground, though...cause these little fellers love them

IMGA0002.JPG

Good luck.

propcheck

Reaction score
Can you get in trouble if “dangerous” grasses spread outside the fence line? The assumption being that it wouldn’t have spread if you hadn’t originally grown it?
Firstly I could not answer your first question because it would absolutely fall on the judge to make the interpretation of “reckless” in regards to uncontrolled vegetation going outside a property. I am sure they could find some case law to base a decision.
Second, as we all know any situation can be “well what if’d” to death. But I would feel confident that Taboma could plant what ever he wants without being in fear of the law since he can show he was not intent on harming livestock or reckless since he stated he has already invested thousand of dollars in securing the area🤷🏼‍♂️ So there is that part.

propcheck

Reaction score
"Open range", isn't always "OPEN" as we picture a large vastness of flat grazing land. I think what pisses off the landowners is knowing that the rancher sold this huge tract of land to a developer for the big bucks. The developer splits this rugged mountainous territory into 40 acre parcels, makes roads, sells the "Ranch Community".
BUT, the rancher still runs his cattle on these large squares of State Lease Land located within the confines of this community he sold his land to have developed.
Then he sez --- well folks, if you want to protect YOUR property, now you need to fence it, as my cows that aren't really leaving, will eat and break your shit. Now the rancher, in this case, some rich bag of bones from Switzerland, knows most owners won't spend the huge dollars to fence their entire parcels which consist of mountain, canyon and washes, so for the rancher it's "Win Win"

And once again, the age old war between the Ranchers and the Farmers continues even in these modern times.

But yes, I believe you are correct in your interpretation, if you want to plant something that might endanger a cow, it's your burden to keep the cow from consuming it, not the cow's owner.

Odd, in most other respects, it's the animal's owner's responsibility to contain their animal(s), not the community's.
So if cattle stampeded through a town, wreck the buildings and trample the people, it's the town's fault if a cow gets injured ?

I dunno, I can say, I've never met a ranch neighbor who likes cows, other than to
Spot on I think what ever you do is safe when evaluated against the law as you show due diligence in fencing. As for the neighbors livestock, it will always be the problem😂

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@Christopher Lucero , the raised beds are kind of a hybrid setup. The 3" rock in the base is kind of a thermal mass, as well as balast. The idea was for it to act as a water basin instead of losing the water running through. It's a learning curve, that's for sure! Have a greenhouse to put up too...

Ultra...Good

Reaction score

I knew/know a few people that garden and there are all kinds of thieves. Irish Spring soap will keep deer away. Bore a hole in it and hang some bars around the perimeter. Fake owls and snakes work for the smaller creatures. My brothers garden was getting completely stripped so he set up a trail cam to see what was doing it. Turns out it was the neighbors daughter. She was some kind of addict that was living in her mothers garage and the mother had no idea about any of it, especially living in the garage.

All of the old timers I knew would use a rain barrel for watering. At first I thought it was to save money until I seen my friends grandfathers barrel was not collecting water, he was filling it from the well. He told me that it was not to save money, it was to warm the water up. Cold water shocks the roots and stunts plant growth. All of the old timers that did this have since passed, and it is a shame I did not take advantage and tap into their wealth of knowledge. They all had beautiful gardens with high yields. These gardens were located in the Chicago and northern Wisconsin areas so it might not hold true depending on the climate you live in.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
@Christopher Lucero , the raised beds are kind of a hybrid setup. The 3" rock in the base is kind of a thermal mass, as well as balast. The idea was for it to act as a water basin instead of losing the water running through. It's a learning curve, that's for sure! Have a greenhouse to put up too...

I know several people that do this in the heat. They run pex every 10"-12" in the bed and circulate water through them to cool the soil!

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
@monkeyswrench I know you guys dont het a tin of rain but have you looked into collection tanks for the rain you do get? Every building, every roof you have should be drawing to a collection tank(perfibly under ground to keep the collection cool!!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Good stuff Lucero👍

Where’s your location?
For some reason I was thinking PNW?
I like threads like this, one can learn a lot.

I know my raised beds get some high temps but fungi or mold isn’t really an issue in the desert regions, shit just gets dry too fast.
I’ve noticed watering my pepper plants ( @rivermobster) more than 3 times a week, even here in a warm climate, will produce some blossom end rot.
Leaving it dryer than one would suspect seems to clear it.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Get to work.
View attachment 1134417
View attachment 1134421
View attachment 1134422
Here are the bases I put together. Leveled side to side, and front to back. That is a piece of .120 wall dom. It was the only straight edge long enough I had. View attachment 1134424
The ends were capped with roof flashing tin. Down the center a 4" leach pipe was laid, with 3-rock...like a reservoir. The rock was covered in weed cloth, and filled with planter mix. View attachment 1134425
It's getting there...slowly. View attachment 1134426
View attachment 1134427

Here’s something to consider

When you plant stuff, plant a few more
Knowing you’re going to let a few go to flower so they seed.

These are radish plants producing not radish but seed.
C57CA426-C0BF-400D-B0B2-BF216F040DD8.jpeg

This is a bib lettuce I’m letting bolt now.
D2A440C8-C407-411A-A351-E7BEC9EDB3EC.jpeg

Once it bolts the lettuce leaves become somewhat bitter and leather like as the plant concentrated it’s energy to producing flowers to hopefully make seed.

You’re building the infrastructure but don’t forget you need seed to grow anything👍

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Another thing you should consider is planting flowers. We do this to help bring in bees for pollination. We also plant plants that help repel bugs. Its not a one all cure all but we haven't had crazy issues being overwhelmed by them.

Welp here are some pics of our garden!

5752.jpeg
5775.jpeg
5753.jpeg
5751.jpeg
5750.jpeg
5749.jpeg
5748.jpeg
5747.jpeg
5746.jpeg
5744.jpeg
5742.jpeg

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Another thing you should consider is planting flowers. We do this to help bring in bees for pollination. We also plant plants that help repel bugs. Its not a one all cure all but we haven't had crazy issues being overwhelmed by them.

View attachment 1134643 View attachment 1134644 View attachment 1134645 View attachment 1134646 View attachment 1134647 View attachment 1134648 View attachment 1134649 View attachment 1134650 View attachment 1134651 View attachment 1134652 View attachment 1134653

We have apples, pears, plums, grapes, cherries, ect.. and the bee's from the surrounding fields flock to our place! There are times I have to tell my buddy that is allergic that he cant come out!! Its a little neglected this year but it'll be good!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

View attachment 1134643 View attachment 1134644 View attachment 1134645 View attachment 1134646 View attachment 1134647 View attachment 1134648 View attachment 1134649 View attachment 1134650 View attachment 1134651 View attachment 1134652 View attachment 1134653

That's freaking awesome.

👍🏼

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Here's what I did this year. It doesn't look like it but there is about 40 tomato plants plus onions, jalapenos, serrano, bell, Japanese's peppers, Cuban peppers. zucchini, squash, melons, potatoes, grapes, cukes and the fruit trees (peach, plum, cherry, apricot). I have an orange tree, lemon tree and key lime tree on the way. They will go into big pots and move into the garage in the winter. Most of the veggies were started from seed this past winter.... I used part of my garage/shop as a greenhouse. It was an experiment using LED shop lights as grow lights.....worked good.

20220709_160833.jpg
20220709_160921.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@monkeyswrench I know you guys dont het a tin of rain but have you looked into collection tanks for the rain you do get? Every building, every roof you have should be drawing to a collection tank(perfibly under ground to keep the collection cool!!
20220515_123943.jpg

My glove got in the way...Picked this up a month or so ago, need to repair some rot. I also have a customer that does rain gutters. I raided his scrap from tear offs. I need to square the ends, they remove with tin snips. Got enough to do both sides of my shop building. I've wanted to do it as backup for the animals if nothing else.
Here’s something to consider

When you plant stuff, plant a few more
Knowing you’re going to let a few go to flower so they seed.

These are radish plants producing not radish but seed.
View attachment 1134620

This is a bib lettuce I’m letting bolt now.
View attachment 1134621
Once it bolts the lettuce leaves become somewhat bitter and leather like as the plant concentrated it’s energy to producing flowers to hopefully make seed.

You’re building the infrastructure but don’t forget you need seed to grow anything👍
We kind of doubled up on some things expecting failures. I'd also thought of things going to seed, and learning how to dry and store seeds. Lots of reading...don't know much about planting and farming.

We've don some flowers, and lemon grass in pots at the end of the planters...all based on reading. Your garden looks amazing! I hope to get to that point, but it will take a bit of time, and a whole lot of learning.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
We have apples, pears, plums, grapes, cherries, ect.. and the bee's from the surrounding fields flock to our place! There are times I have to tell my buddy that is allergic that he cant come out!! Its a little neglected this year but it'll be good!
Ahh that's cool. We have talked about planting an orchard to with a mix of fruit.