WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

It's A Start (Non-Cannabis Gardening)

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
That's a nice chicken coop! Hell, that's a "casita" in some places! (For Cali folks, I think it's an ADU;)) Looking real good!
Thanks for the kind words. Im getting really excited. Our chicks are like mini Veloster raptors!!! Not sure if i spelled that correctly l, but you get the idea

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. Im getting really excited. Our chicks are like mini Veloster raptors!!! Not sure if i spelled that correctly l, but you get the idea
We hatched some last year, and they are starting to pull their weight now that it's warming up. Increasing the size of the run, as they seem to be solar powered. We've bought Olsen's layer pellets for years, and had good luck. Inflation is a bitch though. Today, picked up 10 40lb bags...200$! A year and a half ago it was 110$. Got more fence, and some seed. In later spring I think we'll plant a fescue mix for the younger birds...a smaller version of what Joel and Amy do.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
We hatched some last year, and they are starting to pull their weight now that it's warming up. Increasing the size of the run, as they seem to be solar powered. We've bought Olsen's layer pellets for years, and had good luck. Inflation is a bitch though. Today, picked up 10 40lb bags...200$! A year and a half ago it was 110$. Got more fence, and some seed. In later spring I think we'll plant a fescue mix for the younger birds...a smaller version of what Joel and Amy do.
I think we're going to do Olson's as well. Olson's mixes their own feed. From my understanding, they purchase all the different parts from the farmers then blend it here in prescott. do you know if thats true?

And you're feeding your ladies grass with the fescue mix youre planting?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I think we're going to do Olson's as well. Olson's mixes their own feed. From my understanding, they purchase all the different parts from the farmers then blend it here in prescott. do you know if thats true?

And you're feeding your ladies grass with the fescue mix youre planting?
From what I've heard, the past couple years they've had to "import" some stuff. I think from Colorado and Utah? They have less filler crap in their feed though than the big names, and they mix and fill right there on 89. I've been in the mill while it was running, time warp! The mill building and equipment I believe is from the 20's.

The fescue mix is to help offset feed costs. I have enough room, thinking of doing 2 1000sqft runs. Let them chomp on one for a bit, then switch to the other. This is in theory...for now I'm just bumping them up to about 500sqft.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Well last weekend i had some time to work on the coop. Shingled her in, made all my electrical connections up, and finished hanging the rest of our wall panels.

Worked from 9pm-3am last night into this morning got some shut eye woke up at 730 this morning to see the wife and kids off and i got after a little bit before taking a break to do some blood lab work. Then back home. Built this roosting rack thing, and framed in a wall to separate chickens and have like a storage area. Cleaned up some tools that are no longer needed. Then it was back to town to help shuttle kids around and watch swim lessons.

12862.jpeg
IMG_20230326_184126718.jpg
IMG_20230326_184156258.jpg
IMG_20230327_190144569.jpg
IMG_20230329_101537218.jpg
IMG_20230329_114826700.jpg
IMG_20230329_114805668.jpg
12943.jpeg

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Well we killed it today!! Added some trim to the interior to finish it. 3 coats of Sherwin Williams Solo on the interior and 2 coats of Sherwin Williams exterior paint and trim. Set the posts for the run. Should be done in another day.
IMG_20230401_180237262.jpg
IMG_20230401_180256547.jpg
IMG_20230401_180347951.jpg
IMG_20230401_180210935.jpg
IMG_20230401_180220580.jpg

Gelcoater

Reaction score

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, it's getting about that time. My pest netting collapsed with snow over the winter...net was strong enough to pull over a steel fence post 2ft in concrete! So need to do some work there. Then I have to mix in some coop scrapings into the compost pile from last summer, and try to get my planter soil better.
At least the planter beds are built this year! It's still all experimental. I'm no farmer, but we aren't in the need to be self sufficient...yet! I learned a lot last year, and hope to do the same this year as well.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Well, it's getting about that time. My pest netting collapsed with snow over the winter...net was strong enough to pull over a steel fence post 2ft in concrete! So need to do some work there. Then I have to mix in some coop scrapings into the compost pile from last summer, and try to get my planter soil better.
At least the planter beds are built this year! It's still all experimental. I'm no farmer, but we aren't in the need to be self sufficient...yet! I learned a lot last year, and hope to do the same this year as well
If you need some quick dirt. Prescott Dirts top soil is pretty damn good. Just a heads up.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If you need some quick dirt. Prescott Dirts top soil is pretty damn good. Just a heads up.
I need to ammend the shit out of mine! Too sandy last year. I have about 2yds of composted stuff from last year. That should make it a bit more "loamy"? And then chicken squeezings to bring up the nitrogen a bit...but not too much.
Dirt science!

RichL

Reaction score
I need to ammend the shit out of mine! Too sandy last year. I have about 2yds of composted stuff from last year. That should make it a bit more "loamy"? And then chicken squeezings to bring up the nitrogen a bit...but not too much.
Dirt science!
Chicken squeezings? I'll have to remember that.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Just built a small in-ground vegetable garden for the 1st time.
Buddy came by with a few sticks of lumber he saved from a demo job, so we used that.
It's just 5'x5', & we used around 20 bags of soil, & 3 bags of amendment
Planted a few various starters that he got going in styrofoam cups, and added a couple other things like cucumbers & added a couple lattice's for it.
I can kill tomatoes with the best of them, so not expecting much.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
. . . well that didn't take long . . . less than 48 hours & my tortoise gobbled the cucumber starters, the little shit.
Anyone want a 3-legged tortoise, . . . soon to be 2-legged??? 😖
Luckily my buddy has more starters ready to go . . . so I'll plant those & build a perimeter fence to keep shithead out.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Spent a few hours this week getting things ready for the beds. Had to repair the pest netting from weather and tumbleweed damage, and weed the dirt.

I started mixing my dirt last night. Pulling out roughly 25% of the existing soil,loosening it all up, then mixing in my home brew dirt. I made it with 2 parts compost, 2 parts store bought planter mulch/soil, and 1 part soil from beneath the chicken run. I mixed it in a wheelbarrow, then transferred in buckets so I'd know how much removed and replaced. Then mixed and leveled out the beds.
Hopefully finishing that and planting this weekend.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Hows everyone's gardens doing? Lets see some pics!

For us we have a bunch of radishes, onions, lettuce and tomatoes that we are harvesting pretty regularly.

The chicks started laying a few weeks ago and have consistently been laying 5 eggs a day. They are still small but its something.

The bees have been crazy active.
IMG_20230708_184114060_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230708_184121060_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230708_184145449_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230708_184240273_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230708_184430643.jpg
IMG_20230708_184438663_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230708_184805000.jpg
IMG_20230708_184812285.jpg

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
We're 1st time gardeners . . . and started a little late this season I guess.
Our cucumber plants (2) are doing great . . . (not sure what we're going to do with all of them).
Cilantro is doing great.
We've got jalapenos, radishes, onions, artichokes, lettuce, and a couple others planted as well. (Little starters my buddy got going for us from seeds).
Also have 4 tomato plants still in pots, maybe 10-12 inches tall.
Not really anything to brag about photo-wise . . . our little tortoise still paces the perimeter daily looking for a way in, which is funny !
Pops has kind of gotten into it now which is cool . . . at 1st he was OUT on the idea.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Hows everyone's gardens doing? Lets see some pics!

For us we have a bunch of radishes, onions, lettuce and tomatoes that we are harvesting pretty regularly.

The chicks started laying a few weeks ago and have consistently been laying 5 eggs a day. They are still small but its something.

The bees have been crazy active. View attachment 1250559 View attachment 1250560 View attachment 1250561 View attachment 1250562 View attachment 1250563 View attachment 1250564 View attachment 1250565 View attachment 1250566
What zone are you in?
Our lettuce all went to bolt a month ago

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
What zone are you in?
Our lettuce all went to bolt a month ago
He's out here by me, and I'm just starting to get some leaves worth a darn. I had been told not to plant until after Mother's Day out here, because we can have late frosts.
@Nanu/Nanu , you or anyone you know need a rooster? Trying to rehome a couple. Kids don't want me cooking them, but we have a couple too many:oops:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
He's out here by me, and I'm just starting to get some leaves worth a darn. I had been told not to plant until after Mother's Day out here, because we can have late frosts.
@Nanu/Nanu , you or anyone you know need a rooster? Trying to rehome a couple. Kids don't want me cooking them, but we have a couple too many:oops:
Our lettuce loved the cold, thrived all winter. 3 varieties.

But we only had a handful of frost mornings. It bolts every year usually end of May.
Lasted a couple weeks longer this year.
Cabbage too.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Our apples seem to fall earlier than others too,
23B68CEC-F2B2-49BA-B0D4-A72161AE80F2.jpeg

But some seasons they drop them early, flower again and make a smaller batch before the end of fall.

These will start falling any day, already seen a couple.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Our lettuce loved the cold, thrived all winter. 3 varieties.

But we only had a handful of frost mornings. It bolts every year usually end of May.
Lasted a couple weeks longer this year.
Cabbage too.
Your "cold" and our "cold" differ a bit. He's about 10 miles west of me in Chino Valley, probably close to the same elevation, 5500-5800ft?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Your "cold" and our "cold" differ a bit. He's about 10 miles west of me in Chino Valley, probably close to the same elevation, 5500-5800ft?
Totally.
Is why I asked what zone, I’m sure there are a bunch of micro climates up and down the hill.

I’m surprised you don’t get much deer carnage.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
We're 1st time gardeners . . . and started a little late this season I guess.
Our cucumber plants (2) are doing great . . . (not sure what we're going to do with all of them).
Cilantro is doing great.
We've got jalapenos, radishes, onions, artichokes, lettuce, and a couple others planted as well. (Little starters my buddy got going for us from seeds).
Also have 4 tomato plants still in pots, maybe 10-12 inches tall.
Not really anything to brag about photo-wise . . . our little tortoise still paces the perimeter daily looking for a way in, which is funny !
Pops has kind of gotten into it now which is cool . . . at 1st he was OUT on the idea.
I totally want to rescue a desert tortoise. What kind do you have?

What a cool way for you and pop's to connect!

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Totally.
Is why I asked what zone, I’m sure there are a bunch of micro climates up and down the hill.

I’m surprised you don’t get much deer carnage.
My in-laws which are About 10 miles south west of me next to granite mountain have had issues with deer getting into their gardens.

Sorry if i missed a question our lettuce is doing good right now but we are peeling off every bush. Here in a couple weeks when we get past the heat of the summer it will probably be pick one bush a day.

Where we are located we dont have borders to ranch or state land like @monkeyswrench and my in-laws. Just coyotes and skunks wondering through from time to time.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Ill ask around couple coworkers have gotten into using them for meat. But i dont have a need for a rooster in my " rabbit" hutch according to the HOA. 🤣

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ill ask around couple coworkers have gotten into using them for meat. But i dont have a need for a rooster in my " rabbit" hutch according to the HOA. 🤣
I forgot...you're running a stealth tool shed model. I have a neighbor about 4 doors down with turkeys...those things are loud :oops: Between them, the family north of me running about 20 head of cattle and the jack and jennie donkeys up the road, it's a regular farmtastic morning usually 🤣

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, somehow have 2 tomato plants growing in line with the cucumbers...oops. Have a good start, but been real dry out here. Last year, our stuff didn't really blow up till monsoons. Got some squash and zucchini starting up already, and blossoms on the baby tomato plants and beans.
20230716_181832.jpg
20230716_182039.jpg
20230716_181846.jpg
20230716_181927.jpg

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
So our Cucumbers took off in what seemed like 'overnight' . . . picked a few and they were great.
What the F am I gonna do with all these things???

Looked up some recipes for making pickles . . . now I've got 3 plastic tubs of those in the fridge now.

Nowhere in the recipe's did it say anything about cutting off the tip of my finger in the slicer . . . I was able to figure that one out on my own ! 😆 😄 🤣

IMG_1231.jpeg

Simple recipe . . . Water / vinegar / kosher salt / Corriander seeds / peppercorns / mustard seeds / dill / and some other shit.
We'll see how they turn out.
IMG_1234.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
20230726_143435.jpg

Apparently, this is what a baby cantaloupe starts as 🤣
Tomato plants are doing good, but no 'maters yet. Have some summer squash coming in, and spaghetti squash.

The weird thing...my pepper crop isn't doing so hot. It seems last year, by a stroke of dumb luck, my soil was great for them. My lettuce and spinach both went from "looking good", to bolting...in 2 days! Last year, I did good with cucumbers...somehow I have two cucumber plants doing well, but no produce yet?

And last year, our attempt at cantaloupe was just a couple vines that withered...

This gardening thing is not my forte.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Our new home came with a 20 x 40? (haven't measured it) hoop house. Like many things we've discovered, they didn't quite finish it, but we are making it work. Since we only got keys to the place on July 6 and have been moving and unpacking while sick with Covid, we are just experimenting at this point. I already had some tomatoes going at the RV park that I purchased in May. We got some starts from Home Depot on the "buy 1 get 2 free" sale last weekend. I also planted a few things (lettuce, cilantro, chard, and green beans) that had a 60-day or less maturity date, so we will see how accurate that is. The growing season is certainly extended into October with this thing, but we are headed back to Havasu in early October.

Jeff installed a gate and some scrap fencing that was lying around in an attempt to keep the deer out. The neighbor was throwing away the material he used for the gate. The boxes were already in the hoop house with a pile of dirt/mulch just outside of it waiting to be put in the boxes. No water yet, so we just have a soaker hose from the house. Next year. Too many other things to take up our time at the moment. I am getting some beautiful Brandywine tomatoes, though!

IMG_3295.JPG

IMG_3297.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Our new home came with a 20 x 40? (haven't measured it) hoop house. Like many things we've discovered, they didn't quite finish it, but we are making it work. Since we only got keys to the place on July 6 and have been moving and unpacking while sick with Covid, we are just experimenting at this point. I already had some tomatoes going at the RV park that I purchased in May. We got some starts from Home Depot on the "buy 1 get 2 free" sale last weekend. I also planted a few things (lettuce, cilantro, chard, and green beans) that had a 60-day or less maturity date, so we will see how accurate that is. The growing season is certainly extended into October with this thing, but we are headed back to Havasu in early October.

Jeff installed a gate and some scrap fencing that was lying around in an attempt to keep the deer out. The neighbor was throwing away the material he used for the fence. The boxes were already in the hoop house with a pile of dirt/mulch just outside of it waiting to be put in the boxes. No water yet, so we just have a soaker hose from the house. Next year. Too many other things to take up our time at the moment. I am getting some beautiful Brandywine tomatoes, though!

View attachment 1259080

View attachment 1259081

View attachment 1259082
That!!!
Is F’n awesome!!!👍

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Portuguese squash
In years past these plants produced more than a dozen of these. This year so far only 2
BF689500-74C2-4AEF-B57E-452FC875E678.jpeg

AE814C3E-B111-4628-A802-D84F3BF02F59.jpeg

However the bees are going nuts within all the flowers on the plant so 🤞
5:40 this morning the bees were already in full work mode.