HomeSecurity
Mother of all breaches reveals 26 billion records: what we know so far
Updated on: January 23, 2024 2:42 PM
Vilius Petkauskas
Vilius Petkauskas
Deputy Editor
MOAB data leak
Image by Cybernews.
The supermassive leak contains data from numerous previous breaches, comprising an astounding 12 terabytes of information, spanning over a mind-boggling 26 billion records. The leak, which contains LinkedIn, Twitter, Weibo, Tencent, and other platforms’ user data, is almost certainly the largest ever discovered.

There are data leaks, and then there’s this. A supermassive Mother of all Breaches (MOAB for short) includes records from thousands of meticulously compiled and reindexed leaks, breaches, and privately sold databases. The full and searchable list is included at the end of this article...

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
IMG_3239.jpeg

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

HomeSecurity
Mother of all breaches reveals 26 billion records: what we know so far
Updated on: January 23, 2024 2:42 PM
Vilius Petkauskas
Vilius Petkauskas
Deputy Editor
MOAB data leak
Image by Cybernews.
The supermassive leak contains data from numerous previous breaches, comprising an astounding 12 terabytes of information, spanning over a mind-boggling 26 billion records. The leak, which contains LinkedIn, Twitter, Weibo, Tencent, and other platforms’ user data, is almost certainly the largest ever discovered.

There are data leaks, and then there’s this. A supermassive Mother of all Breaches (MOAB for short) includes records from thousands of meticulously compiled and reindexed leaks, breaches, and privately sold databases. The full and searchable list is included at the end of this article...

So, a link to a story about data leaks from a publication I've never heard of and once on the site there is a link to "check your information" by imputing, wait for it, personal information.

It's might be legit, but has the hallmarks of a fishing expedition or a watering hole attack.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So, a link to a story about data leaks from a publication I've never heard of and once on the site there is a link to "check your information" by imputing, wait for it, personal information.

It's might be legit, but has the hallmarks of a fishing expedition or a watering hole attack.

Would you mind showing me, and the rest of the class, where you put in ANY personal information?

We will all wait right here...

⏳

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I'm not on any social networks nor do I download random apps. I'm a full-on minimalist😋
Rdp doesn't even have any accurate data of mine😄

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm not on any social networks nor do I download random apps. I'm a full-on minimalist😋
Rdp doesn't even have any accurate data of mine😄

This is not a social media thing...

Verizon is on this list. There are .gov's on this list. 😱

As much as we all want to, this really isn't anything to joke about.

And contrary to @Sleek-Jet 's post, there is no input for anyone's personal information.

But...

There IS an input/searchable list for a lot of the companies that were found in the complied database...

Screenshot_20240124_115609_Chrome.jpg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I'm only one of 26billion+ choices for the dark web. I'm pretty stingy with my info overall & don't sign up for much of anything online.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Would you mind showing me, and the rest of the class, where you put in ANY personal information?

We will all wait right here...

⏳
A phone number and/or and email is required to look up your data breach information. Honestly I don't know how else to do it but it feels sketchy, especially with popup ads.

But I'm curious if the next screen asks for a home address or my mother maiden name... 🤣

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
A phone number and/or and email is required to look up your data breach information. Honestly I don't know how else to do it but it feels sketchy, especially with popup ads.

But I'm curious if the next screen asks for a home address or my mother maiden name... 🤣

See post 14 sir.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
If you post anywhere on the web it’s likely someone somewhere has your info. It’s no different than driving around and someone seeing your license plate or swiping your drivers license for alcohol at the liquor store.

It’s not if someone will get your data, it’s when.

It’s all about excepting it and putting in place the walls to guard against it. Two-factor authentication is a must. Nobody is immune from having their data exposed. You are the product and there’s a lot of money in your information.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm only one of 26billion+ choices for the dark web. I'm pretty stingy with my info overall & don't sign up for much of anything online.

It's not like someone is gonna sit there and visually look through all this data.

It will be fed into AI and each of those 21 billion choices will be hashed out in just seconds. Once a few matches occur, then the password stuffing begins. This will also be done by a computer.

Everyone of us is in this database somewhere.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
This is not a social media thing...

Verizon is on this list. There are .gov's on this list. 😱

As much as we all want to, this really isn't anything to joke about.

And contrary to @Sleek-Jet 's post, there is no input for anyone's personal information.

But...

There IS an input/searchable list for a lot of the companies that were found in the complied database...

View attachment 1325977
I have such anger and mixed emotions over all this shit. I just wish the government would spend as much time hunting down and killing these bastard fraudsters instead of fleecing us with fees/taxes, and bullshit regulations. 😡

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I have such anger and mixed emotions over all this shit. I just wish the government would spend as much time hunting down and killing these bastard fraudsters instead of fleecing us with fees/taxes, and bullshit regulations. 😡

It wouldn’t surprise me if we send more money to Ukraine than we do our veterans, vote wisely.

The government is not coming to help. Put in place the things you can do today to help minimize any future pain points.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
It's not like someone is gonna sit there and visually look through all this data.

It will be fed into AI and each of those 21 billion choices will be hashed out in just seconds. Once a few matches occur, then the password stuffing begins. This will also be done by a computer.

Everyone of us is in this database somewhere.

Two part authorization may help but nonetheless, there are several billion more qualified for fraud attacks than I.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
See post 14 sir.
About 1/3 of the way through the story is this:
Screenshot_20240124-144253.png

And if you select the link there is an immediate pop-up for some service, which you can close then are presented with this screen:

Screenshot_20240124-144312.png

True there is a list at the bottom, but they grab your attention before that... Or at least they caught my attention... LOL

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

They honestly can't...

You find one, and five more pop up to take his place. Plus the main thing is...

All the tools to protect yourself are already in place!

Now...

Will you use them?

Or...

Take the, it's not going to happen to me, approach.

🤔

motormonkey

Reaction score
Give me your SS number, address, DOB, your first pets names or current and last 4 pay stubs. Then I Can see if you were affected by this "breach" LOL

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Give me your SS number, address, DOB, your first pets names or current and last 4 pay stubs. Then I Can see if you were affected by this "breach" LOL

Everyone has been affected. There is absolutely no doubt about that.

I got a notification from Kaiser that one of their third party companies was hacked and my data exposed.

And I believe that 3rd party company had more accounts than just Kaiser.

It's not a question IF you were affected, it's a question of...

HAVE YOU protected yourself?

motormonkey

Reaction score
Everyone has been affected. There is absolutely no doubt about that.

I got a notification from Kaiser that one of their third party companies was hacked and my data exposed.

And I believe that 3rd party company had more accounts than just Kaiser.

It's not a question IF you were affected, it's a question of...

HAVE YOU protected yourself?
The real question is what can you really do about it. Nothing is safe LOL. If you do life things you are at risk, allways.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The real question is what can you really do about it. Nothing is safe LOL. If you do life things you are at risk, allways.

Good question...

1. Secure all of the big 3 credit reporting agencies and lock your credit report.

2. Put 2 step on every account you have.

Those 2 moves will be more than enough for Most people.

RichL

Reaction score
Good question...

1. Secure all of the big 3 credit reporting agencies and lock your credit report.

2. Put 2 step on every account you have.

Those 2 moves will be more than enough for Most people.
FWIW, 2 of the 3 agencies wouldn't let me complete the sign-ups to lock my credit info a little over an hour ago. In both cases (direct sign ups) I was booted and told to try again later. Dunno.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
FWIW, 2 of the 3 agencies wouldn't let me complete the sign-ups to lock my credit info a little over an hour ago. In both cases (direct sign ups) I was booted and told to try again later. Dunno.

I had a rough time with one of em as well. They make you jump through some Serious hoops to prove it's you.

I ended up having to get on the phone to straighten it out.

Like someone else said...

It's a pain, but it's also necessary right now.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
They honestly can't...

You find one, and five more pop up to take his place. Plus the main thing is...

All the tools to protect yourself are already in place!

Now...

Will you use them?

Or...

Take the, it's not going to happen to me, approach.

🤔
I’m not so much worried about myself, I’ve just seen a few elderly folks get completely devastated, even just losing a few thousand dollars.

I guess i’m a little overprotective of my elderly neighbors always trying to get scammed by the scammers and legitimate businesses, lately, the solar salesman have really pissed me off.

Unfortunately, I think it’s just always been the way of society.☹️

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
It wouldn’t surprise me if we send more money to Ukraine than we do our veterans, vote wisely.

The government is not coming to help. Put in place the things you can do today to help minimize any future pain points.
I’m fully aware the government is not gonna help, they’re part of the problem. You know the old saying follow the money. 🤔

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So if you don't know where to start, start here, and freeze your credit report.

Don't fall for the marketing though!

All most people will need is the free account. Don't feel like you have to upgrade to their paid account. Read Carefully before you do that.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Then register your Equifax account. Same rule as above applies...

Stay with the free account!

Unless you feel like you Need a paid account. But read all the fine print first.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Keep Your username and password simple and easy

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Speaking of passwords...

Use a different one on Every site...

Use computer generated passwords...

Keep em all safe and easy to get to.

My method?

I keep em all in a password protected Excel spreadsheet. Why? It's impossible to recover an Excel spreadsheet password! If you forget it, your fucked, but no one else can recover it either.

I store that file in a password protected cloud account (that I can get to at anytime) and that cloud account is 2 step protected with my fingerprint.

Use what works for you.

HST4ME

Reaction score
XXXXX Bank:
Low Balance of $0.04 for account XXXX.

My business account, won't be using it for two months so they can have at it. :)