WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

It's Always Something With This Governor . . . Boat Regi$tration . . .

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
EDIT: Oops . . . I just saw this was already posted, my bad. Please delete away.

Copy and pasted.
F-You Newscum.

March 3, 2021

Dear California BoatU.S. Member:

California boaters will see their boat registration fees increase from a minimum of $20 every two years to at least $70 every two years as soon as July 1 if Gov. Gavin Newsom's state budget proposal is enacted. Budget subcommittees in the state Senate and Assembly are discussing this proposal now, and are anticipated to decide on the issue in the next few weeks.

We urge you to contact your state senator and assembly members and request this proposal be revised to ensure boaters' taxes go to their intended purposes. Take Action to easily make your voice heard.

Background:

The governor's proposed state budget for the Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW) proposes adjustments to the Harbors and Watercraft Revolving Fund (HWRF.) HWRF receives no monies from the state's General Fund. It is comprised of boat fuel tax dollars, registration fees, federal monies, and interest payments on loans from the fund.

HWRF supports several programs and services that benefit boaters including infrastructure such as launch ramps, education, aquatic centers, local boating law enforcement, the boater certification card, and invasive species prevention and control.

The Governor's current budget proposal includes a vessel registration fees increase from $20 every two years to $70 every two years effective July 1.This proposed 250% registration fee hike is being considered as the state increasingly dedicates boater fuel tax dollars for the state parks system.This started decades ago, and now totals $107 million each year. In contrast, only $15 million (14%) of the fuel taxes paid by boaters are placed in the HWRF for the programs and services that directly benefit boaters.

Before such a significant increase is enacted BoatU.S. and the Recreational Boaters of California are urging legislators to revise this proposal to ensure a balanced, reasonable and transparent approach to all taxes and fees boaters pay the state.

Take Action

Thank you for taking action and for being a BoatU.S. Member!

David Kennedy
BoatU.S. Government Affairs
[email protected]
703-461-2878 x8363
Advocacy.BoatUS.com

port austin pirate

Reaction score
If your boats big enough get a coast guard registration, a lot cheaper and dont have to have outside numbers en sticker on hull, I think it has to be around 26 ft but you need to check with CG, you can run anywhere with it, Iam in Caliunicornia and get stopped once in awhile just show them CG papers good to go, smaller boats stuck with CA bullshit i guess.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I'm surprised it isn't higher. Boaters are all rich.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Don’t forget the $16 mussel sticker fee.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Fuckem, mine is registered in AZ. The non-resident fees are way more but there isn’t the Luxury Tax every year. It would be 1% of my purchase price, so $820 a year for me.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Don't forget the property tax in Los Angeles county... boats, waverunners, airplanes, they are all taxed every year.

But expensive jewelry? Art? no property tax. Only on "public displays of wealth" lol

Javajoe

Reaction score
If your boats big enough get a coast guard registration, a lot cheaper and dont have to have outside numbers en sticker on hull, I think it has to be around 26 ft but you need to check with CG, you can run anywhere with it, Iam in Caliunicornia and get stopped once in awhile just show them CG papers good to go, smaller boats stuck with CA bullshit i guess.
Yep, just had my Magic I just bought registered with the Coast Guard. Pretty easy and cheap

Reactions: DWC

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Move. Or, bend over and keep paying taxes. Your choice. They aren't going to go down, ever.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Years ago the county sent me a 'Luxury Tax' bill for my piece of shit boat.
I was so pissed, I said, "Luxury"??? are you f-ing kidding me??? . . . the amount of money I dump into this pile of crap and you send me a bill for owning it???
I threw it in the trash . . . they sent me a few more and straight into the trash they went too.
Finally I returned one of the bills and put a note inside that said, "You've got the wrong guy".
Never got another one. :cool:

78Southwind

Reaction score
Years ago the county sent me a 'Luxury Tax' bill for my piece of shit boat.
I was so pissed, I said, "Luxury"??? are you f-ing kidding me??? . . . the amount of money I dump into this pile of crap and you send me a bill for owning it???
I threw it in the trash . . . they sent me a few more and straight into the trash they went too.
Finally I returned one of the bills and put a note inside that said, "You've got the wrong guy".
Never got another one. :cool:

I got one even better. I was storing my Dads Sea Doo for him at my river house and he finally just gave it to me since his back was too beat up to ride it any more. We went to AAA and transferred it into my name (no sales tax since it was a family transfer). My Dad hadn't been charged Luxury Tax for some time since the value was so low. These idiots sent out a Luxury Tax bill to who knows where (i never received it but I received all my other tax bills). Then instead of sending out another bill they just put a lien on my house for the Luxury Tax and penalties. The f'ed up thing is I was trying to refinance my house to a lower rate and that's how I found out about it. So I just paid the bill since I didn't really have time to fight them on it.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I expect no less from Commiefornia......

dribble

Reaction score
Fuckem, mine is registered in AZ. The non-resident fees are way more but there isn’t the Luxury Tax every year. It would be 1% of my purchase price, so $820 a year for me.
It’s 1% of the purchase price with a declining value scale. Right now they have the value of my boat at $11,000. The personal property tax is about $135.00 a year. It’s probably worth about $30,000.