WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Its time, Howard 255 going in the mold!

Howard288_Recess

Reaction score
Congrats to you as well!
Like wise on pics, care to post the rendering?
That way I know which boat I am looking for!! or do you have a build thread started?
Thanks so much! We are extremely excited to finally get our new boat!
Mike hasn't sent over any renderings yet but we emailed him example colors and lines over the weekend and he said he would be working on something this week.
How long after you gave him your colors and graphics ideas did it take for him to have something drawn up and over to you?
As soon as we have the rendering that we are going to go with I will definitely start another thread on the forums.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Thanks so much! We are extremely excited to finally get our new boat!
Mike hasn't sent over any renderings yet but we emailed him example colors and lines over the weekend and he said he would be working on something this week.
How long after you gave him your colors and graphics ideas did it take for him to have something drawn up and over to you?
As soon as we have the rendering that we are going to go with I will definitely start another thread on the forums.

I can be a bit impatient and bored so, I had him send me their blank rendering for our particular model ahead of time and did 3 different threads on here over about 3 weeks, on colors and gel schemes which culminated in a 90% rendering which I gave him a couple weeks ahead of time. Once it was my turn he took a quick look and returned me his "adjustments, more like corrections" and we were done. If you are next up he will get it back quick, he will wan to be sure you are signed off before he starts.

I will keep an eye out for a 288 thread, the big question--What power!!

Howard288_Recess

Reaction score
I can be a bit impatient and bored so, I had him send me their blank rendering for our particular model ahead of time and did 3 different threads on here over about 3 weeks, on colors and gel schemes which culminated in a 90% rendering which I gave him a couple weeks ahead of time. Once it was my turn he took a quick look and returned me his "adjustments, more like corrections" and we were done. If you are next up he will get it back quick, he will wan to be sure you are signed off before he starts.

I will keep an eye out for a 288 thread, the big question--What power!!
Thats what I figured if we are next in line for the 288 mold!
I am going back and forth constantly between the 565 and 600's and still haven't decided.
The top end speed is about 5 MPH different or so between the two, which isn't that big of deal to me.
I know the 565 comes with the DTS, which I heard is incredible.
Any thoughts or recommendations on that? Sorry if I am asking questions about my boat on your thread!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Thats what I figured if we are next in line for the 288 mold!
I am going back and forth constantly between the 565 and 600's and still haven't decided.
The top end speed is about 5 MPH different or so between the two, which isn't that big of deal to me.
I know the 565 comes with the DTS, which I heard is incredible.
Any thoughts or recommendations on that? Sorry if I am asking questions about my boat on your thread!

Ask away I kinda muddied up Mecasa'a thread on his 255 so its only fair,

My take on power, outside of shear cost,
-better to have and not need/want--than need/want and not have
-565 is pretty maxed so power increase would be invasive and costly down the road
-600 with the supercharger can be upgraded with pulley changes and some software for considerable gains much less invasive and costly
-We wanted maximum fuel range so when I reached out to others on the 600 the responses came back somewhat typical that the 600's cruising consumption was a decent amount more than the 565. This is obviously the cost of the power but the 255 only has 65 gallons so when considering that we ruled it out quickly.

Price,
You saw the price sheet, so from a strictly price perspective $$/HP the 565 makes a lot of sense if you aren't going to want large increases down the road.

As most say, "buy the most motor that will fit in your wallet"

I know that isn't much help, you are kind of on an island all by yourself with gel color and motor choices!

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
600 no brainer. I’ve got two and love them with the stage 4 upgrades that you too can do down the line if you’ld like. In stock form they also run 87 octane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legend14

Reaction score
600 no brainer. I’ve got two and love them with the stage 4 upgrades that you too can do down the line if you’ld like. In stock form they also run 87 octane.

I'm undecided on a 565 or 600 for my 288, what is the stage 4 upgrade give you? Is the 600 a reliable turn key engine??

Riverryder

Reaction score
@legend14 he’s got 2 motors.. seem realiable he bought the boat and didn’t wait to open it and wake her up. He did the dam damn run last year 1-2 days after getting he boat after waking them up. He has a thread on his build go to his page and find it.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Thanks to @Mikemo_SDS for some quick pics of "layin tape"
Thanks Mike

layin tape 2 6-7-2021.jpg

layin tape 6-7-21.jpg

layin tape 3 6-7-2021.jpg

Riverryder

Reaction score
The one next to it looks pretty much the same as that one? I love the Howard’s but they all look pretty much the same? Just different colors?
has anyone done anything different?

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I'm undecided on a 565 or 600 for my 288, what is the stage 4 upgrade give you? Is the 600 a reliable turn key engine??

850-900HP so they say

Howard288_Recess

Reaction score
I have spoken with multiple shops in Havasu and every single mechanic says that if they were buying a new boat and the price difference for the initial purchase wasn't a differentiator they would all go with the 600.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I have spoken with multiple shops in Havasu and every single mechanic says that if they were buying a new boat and the price difference for the initial purchase wasn't a differentiator they would all go with the 600.

My concern with the 255 only having 65 gallons of fuel was the 600 is way more thirsty at cruising speed that the 565, or that is the consensus I got early on.
The 565 pushes the 255 plenty and I really want as much fuel range as feasible.

If I was in the 288 with 100 gallon capacity and the larger platform I would 100% agree the bigger the better knowing the 600 with the supercharger can be upgraded down the road if you fancy!!

None of this is any good without pics!!

legend14

Reaction score

so your saying they would all go for the 600 over the 700?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
My concern with the 255 only having 65 gallons of fuel was the 600 is way more thirsty at cruising speed that the 565, or that is the consensus I got early on.
The 565 pushes the 255 plenty and I really want as much fuel range as feasible.

If I was in the 288 with 100 gallon capacity and the larger platform I would 100% agree the bigger the better knowing the 600 with the supercharger can be upgraded down the road if you fancy!!

None of this is any good without pics!!
I would say you may have that slightly off. If you are talking the same speed “ie: 50 mph” the 565 should be at a higher rpm than the 600, thusly the 600 would be more efficient. Plus anytime you’re cruising under 3800rpm the boat should be making minimal boost and sipping.

Than you also have the added hp and tq to pull a larger prop, that as well should make it more efficient as sure getting on plane is a little fuel but then you’re just cruising at a sip. In all ways except initial cost i see the 600sci package being better and really no downfall except the initial price.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
I would say you may have that slightly off. If you are talking the same speed “ie: 50 mph” the 565 should be at a higher rpm than the 600, thusly the 600 would be more efficient. Plus anytime you’re cruising under 3800rpm the boat should be making minimal boost and sipping.

The 565 will use less fuel cruising and WOT. The 565 turns 5400 RPM, the 600 turns 5200 RPM, and it’s turning the twin-screw whether you’re boosting or not, so the midrange efficiency isn’t as good as the long runner NA engine.

Both engines have their merits, you can’t go wrong with either, but if you haven’t spent time with a DTS 565, you probably should reserve comments until you do. They’re silky smooth and effortless to shift and drive. The 600 is still pushing cables.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS

GOOD NEWS;
Looks like it will be coming out of the mold next thurs/fri
I will be heading down the following thursday, taking one of my boys with me. I think I will enjoy that!!

BAD NEWS;
It took an act of god to find the wheels I wanted but finally got them shipped (6) wheels and tires ready for tony at Extreme.
Tracking shows they showed up last tuesday. So I email Tony just asking him to confirm so I can cross that off the list.
Tony calls--he got (3) wheels with no tires🤬🤬🤬 so frikin mad I could piss blood right now!
I have used the same wheel and tire vendor for countless sets of wheels and tires so I am having a hard time understanding how this could get so screwed up?

I am going to forget about it until Monday and then back on the phone, great stuff!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS

GOOD NEWS;
Looks like it will be coming out of the mold next thurs/fri
I will be heading down the following thursday, taking one of my boys with me. I think I will enjoy that!!

BAD NEWS;
It took an act of god to find the wheels I wanted but finally got them shipped (6) wheels and tires ready for tony at Extreme.
Tracking shows they showed up last tuesday. So I email Tony just asking him to confirm so I can cross that off the list.
Tony calls--he got (3) wheels with no tires🤬🤬🤬 so frikin mad I could piss blood right now!
I have used the same wheel and tire vendor for countless sets of wheels and tires so I am having a hard time understanding how this could get so screwed up?

I am going to forget about it until Monday and then back on the phone, great stuff!
Sounds like you got in some of the Covid parts shortage dilemma.... as long as I see so many shipment tankers off Longbeach we'll all be waiting a bit longer for our stuff....

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Might be resolved, I hope.

Found the tires, vendor issue, he is rerouting them to me by next thursday 7/15
I was able to reach ESR via facebook, they sent (3) boxes each with 2 wheels,
I just got a confirmation email back from tony, they mis-spoke on only 3 wheels, they have all (6) without tires. Honest mistake.

I will be driving down thursday 7/22 with the tires, grab the wheels at extreme and go get them mounted and balanced to be returned back to extreme.
Then Friday go take pics and a peak at the hull.

Nobody said this was going to be easy or cheap 🤞 🤞

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Did a 1000 mile road-trip with my youngest boy to sort out the tire wheel problem.

Got to Extreme grabbed the wheels, dropped them off up the road at a tire shop across the street from our hotel.
Picked them up at 8 the next morning delivered them back to Extreme and headed north to Howard.

Spent a couple hours talking with Gene and snapped a few quick shots, nothing earth shattering, but progress none the less!!
Boat is bonded and awaiting cut and buff.

bonded 1.jpg

bonded 2.jpg

bonded 3.jpg

bonded 4.jpg

v6toy4x

Reaction score
BUT!

I got an email from tony at extreme that the wheel center-bore is too small.

Extreme has confirmed their hub has a 2.625" OD
The wheels were ordered with a 2.88" center-bore, the box listed them as 2.88 so they SHOULD fit????????
According to ESR they should be 2.88.

I guess I am doing another 1000 mile trip in a couple weeks, with my calipers 🤬.
I hope it is something stupid, I dont want to have to de mount and have the wheels bored then re mounted and balanced OR try and find another wheel I like that is in stock!

These wheels are getting expensive

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Wife decided to make the road trip with me, went down to Extreme Thursday.
Wheels and tires finally sorted and delivered back to Tony at extreme, trailer build starts Monday
thumbnail.jpg
mounted wheel and tire.jpg

Quick stop at Howard on Friday to see the cut and buffed hull, wife's first real look, she says it looks "pretty"
I'll take that! I love it so now we wait for "parts"
thumbnail9.jpg
thumbnail 1.jpg
thumbnail 2.jpg
thumbnail3.jpg
thumbnail4.jpg
thumbnail5.jpg
thumbnail6.jpg

Last year every howard on their floor seemed to be silver/grey with blues, now it is gunmetal and maroons!
thumbnail10.jpg

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Heading into rigging it sounds like, Mike sent an email verifying the changes to the dash layout.
I had to pause before responding wasn't sure how much to say about Gene, at some point you wish people would just stop bringing it up???

Anyway here are the changes we are making.

7 switch recessed panel as opposed to 6 for future doodads, relocated to the side
Livorsi tabs w/under water lights to get the electronic indicators, located at the original switch panel location
"joystick" tab switches located just below the tab indicators
2 switch recessed panel for future at the original tab switch location

olson dash-2 from Mike.jpg

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything, but not in a huge hurry right now. I will post once I hear something.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Was there a delay during construction? Seems like a long time since your first post.
They started tape in the mold beginning of June so 8 months construction time which is pretty much what Gene had told me 6-8 months.

Last edited:

Riverryder

Reaction score
No windshield?
Does this model have the flap that comes up to blocks the wind like the 288?

v6toy4x

Reaction score
No windshield?
Does this model have the flap that comes up to blocks the wind like the 288?
I decided no windshield for now, not sure I like the look? Mike said since it is one of the last things they put on adding it later wouldn't be too difficult should I change my mind.

There is a front hatch but it does not have an electric lift, I have something in mind that I think will work fairly easy, I had a switch added for it. Lower right corner of the dash "wind scrn up/down"
IMG_6253.JPG

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Dig the colors and attention to detail... Anything delayed getting it completed sooner? 9 months seems long.....