WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ive gone and done something incredibly stupid.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Purchased this as a driver for the interim while I build the Cobra. Fuck me.

Single owner 1962 Ford Fairlane. Upholstery has already been done, brand new floor boards, has a foxbody injected 5.0 in it with a big Lunati cam. C4 trans with floor shift conversion. I got it cheap too. I drove it home from an hour away and left my Ranger at the guys house. He had some cool shit in his garage.

The 5.0 will go back to carbed eventually.

20210201_200901.jpg
20210201_200953.jpg
20210201_200928.jpg
20210201_201023.jpg
20210201_201048.jpg
20210201_200012.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Nice! Great cruiser. You know, would look good towing the FE powered flatty 😍

Never seen a generator on a 5.0...what brackets did he use?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

Don't go putting ideas into my head now!

It's not a generator, I thought the same thing! It's a reproduction alternator designed to look like a generator. He said the bastard by itself cost $500.
The brackets came off the original 221 that was in the car.

His grandfather bought this car brand new, and it was his mothers for a while and then his. I have no idea why he was parting with it but felt like I was going to be the best caretaker for it. Ive got a trunk full of spare parts. Every bushing and shocks underneath the car have already been done. The amount of work already done to this car is unbelievable. It was running on the warm side though so I need to get that addressed. And it has an exhaust leak coming from the drivers side manifold that needs addressed. Small potatoes

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Don't go putting ideas into my head now!

It's not a generator, I thought the same thing! It's a reproduction alternator designed to look like a generator. He said the bastard by itself cost $500.
The brackets came off the original 221 that was in the car.

His grandfather bought this car brand new, and it was his mothers for a while and then his. I have no idea why he was parting with it but felt like I was going to be the best caretaker for it. Ive got a trunk full of spare parts. Every bushing and shocks underneath the car have already been done. The amount of work already done to this car is unbelievable. It was running on the warm side though so I need to get that addressed. And it has an exhaust leak coming from the drivers side manifold that needs addressed. Small potatoes
On the running warm, first thing that popped into my head is the water pump. Serp vs V-belt...I did my first one and made that mistake 😂

If that's one of those Powermaster alternators, yep, they're expensive now. They seem to work good, put them on a few flatheads.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Bitchen old sleeper!

Stop fighting tech, the ancient FI in that 5.0 is still light years ahead of any carb!

Plus all the work has been done already! It runs! Endless possibilities! 😈

It doesn't belong!!!!!!!!!😫🤯😫

On the running warm, first thing that popped into my head is the water pump. Serp vs V-belt...I did my first one and made that mistake 😂

If that's one of those Powermaster alternators, yep, they're expensive now. They seem to work good, put them on a few flatheads.

My thought as well. The water pump has obviously been replaced but I have no idea which he put on it. I do know that the correct pump i bought for my cobra engine has 2 bolts at the top of the back plate on the waterpump that straddle the top center timing cover bolt hole and leave it unused. This one does not so that is one idea.

The other, could it be as simple as a sticky thermostat? This car has done a lot of sitting for several years without the engine being put through any heat cycles. Im going to check the simple things in the morning. She is for sure holding pressure though! I almost opened Darwins check valve when I got home and then thought better of it when it warned me not to 🤣

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Bitchen old sleeper!

Stop fighting tech, the ancient FI in that 5.0 is still light years ahead of any carb!

Plus all the work has been done already! It runs! Endless possibilities! 😈

I'm normally all for EFI, but i think in this situation, he'd be Way better off with a carb. You know all too well, that particular ignition system is crap as well.

A nice ready to run Pertronix and a QFT carb, and that engine will run Much better I think. And it clean up that firewall quite nicely.

Nice find!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

If I have learned anything on RDP, it is that the older the tow vehicle the better. If a 40 year old truck is an amazing tow vehicle, a 60 year old passenger car must be the ultimate in towing capability.

I’m jealous.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
If I have learned anything on RDP, it is that the older the tow vehicle the better. If a 40 year old truck is an amazing tow vehicle, a 60 year old passenger car must be the ultimate in towing capability.

I’m jealous.

Can you imagine if I found a 60yr old F100? Thats gotta be like 50 time better than an f150 right?!

Gelcoater

Reaction score

I’m jealous.
Desi Arnaz called.
A7AE3E3A-4AB3-4DDF-917F-3A287AEA3E30.png

Told me to tell you to Fuck off.
Then went into some tirade in Spanish I didn’t understand. 🤷‍♂️

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I'm normally all for EFI, but i think in this situation, he'd be Way better off with a carb. You know all too well, that particular ignition system is crap as well.

A nice ready to run Pertronix and a QFT carb, and that engine will run Much better I think. And it clean up that firewall quite nicely.

Nice find!

Aww come on Joe, the TFI shit was not all THAT terrible! ECCIV is a pretty robust platform with huge aftermarket support., besides it's already done and running.

A 3PSI Vortech on that puppy with a (pick your own ignition because it's like beer everyone has a favorite) distributor and box and you are pushing 400HP+ easy.

Shit that 5.0 makes gobs of power stock for that chassis.

Argue all you want, but FI will almost always make more power than a carb in anything less than a full race application where it's full throttle 90% of it's life.

I'd argue even then it would make more power properly applied. 🤘

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Aww come on Joe, the TFI shit was not all THAT terrible! ECCIV is a pretty robust platform with huge aftermarket support., besides it's already done and running.

A 3PSI Vortech on that puppy with a (pick your own ignition because it's like beer everyone has a favorite) distributor and box and you are pushing 400HP+ easy.

Shit that 5.0 makes gobs of power stock for that chassis.

Argue all you want, but FI will almost always make more power than a carb in anything less than a full race application where it's full throttle 90% of it's life.

I'd argue even then it would make more power properly applied. 🤘

Uhhhhhh...

Yes it was that terrible!!! lol I worked for Lincoln-Mercury when that shit first hit the street and we had Constant problems with it!!! I'm sure the the aftermarket TFI modules are better these days, but you still couldn't pay me to run one of those things. On a bone stock engine? Sure, no problem. On a modified engine? No way.

Carb vs. EFI? You could argue that shit all day.

ECCIV vs. anything else? I'm goin with anything else all day! lol

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Uhhhhhh...

Yes it was that terrible!!! lol I worked for Lincoln-Mercury when that shit first hit the street and we had Constant problems with it!!! I'm sure the the aftermarket TFI modules are better these days, but you still couldn't pay me to run one of those things. On a bone stock engine? Sure, no problem. On a modified engine? No way.

Fwiw I ran this system for close to 10 yrs on my 400hp NA foxbody without issue, granted it was modified, but i never messed with the ecm or the ignition. Those i left stock. It is an amazing, simple, and robust fuel injection system. I actually like them alot for their simplicity and the fact that they respond really well to engine mods without needing to reprogram the ECM.

I do however, feel like it doesn't belong on anything pre-1980 and thats why it will be coming off (down the road that is)

I promised myself that if I bought this car that I could do basic maintenance (and maybe a down and dirty paint job) only on this car until AFTER the Cobra is finished. No unnecessary work until then, which to my dismay does include removing the fuel injection.

wash11

Reaction score
This thing is bitchin. I was a huge Ford guy in my old life. I had a very nice 63' with a 12.5 to 1 347 stroker and a beat down 64'. My hot rod days were pre-digital picture days unfortunately.
At this stage of my life, I'd drive that 62' you got for the rest of my life and not do a thing to it.

4Waters

Reaction score
Fwiw I ran this system for close to 10 yrs on my 400hp NA foxbody without issue, granted it was modified, but i never messed with the ecm or the ignition. Those i left stock. It is an amazing, simple, and robust fuel injection system. I actually like them alot for their simplicity and the fact that they respond really well to engine mods without needing to reprogram the ECM.

I do however, feel like it doesn't belong on anything pre-1980 and thats why it will be coming off (down the road that is)

I promised myself that if I bought this car that I could do basic maintenance (and maybe a down and dirty paint job) only on this car until AFTER the Cobra is finished. No unnecessary work until then, which to my dismay does include removing the fuel injection.
I'd leave it, I'll tune a carb all day at the track and love it but when I get in my daily or my cruiser I just want to hit the key and go, that's why I got a boat with FI. A lot of people are afraid of FI (not you because you actually work on it) because it is computerized, it's not a big deal pretty easy. I'm injecting my '69 Fastback.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I'd leave it, I'll tune a carb all day at the track and love it but when I get in my daily or my cruiser I just want to hit the key and go, that's why I got a boat with FI. A lot of people are afraid of FI (not you because you actually work on it) because it is computerized, it's not a big deal pretty easy. I'm injecting my '69 Fastback.

Dont do it!

I feel the same way about carbs as you do fuel injection. So many people hate them because nobody understands them anymore. They get blamed for so many problems that a lot of times aren't even their fault. They've been around for over a century for a reason. They work. Like anything, you just have to know how to treat them.

Last edited:

KevinR

Reaction score
Thats Sweet! My first car was a 62 Falcon, 3 on the tree with a massive 170 cu.lol

Great find indeed!

My senior year in high school, 1974, I worked at a local Pharmacy. Did stocking and mostly made deliveries to homes and senior living locations. The owner of the pharmacy provided the same 62 Falcon with 3 on the tree. It was a blast to cruise around in making deliveries all afternoon.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Since your set on going carb a dual quad tunnel wedge would look killer but since they only fit on FE motors then I guess you need a 427 side oiler to go underneath it. With that much power you should be sporting a big shaft toploader. A 9" rear is a necessity and those tires will never be able to hold traction so you might as well narrow the rear end and tub it for some nice meats. That much traction is going to require some sub-frame connectors to keep it from twisting the body and since you've gone that far you might as well cage it. That big engine is going to need to breath so get rid of the two inner headlights and put a dual snorkel air box on but that wont fit under the hood so a large teardrop hood is a must. 😁

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Purchased this as a driver for the interim while I build the Cobra. Fuck me.

Single owner 1962 Ford Fairlane. Upholstery has already been done, brand new floor boards, has a foxbody injected 5.0 in it with a big Lunati cam. C4 trans with floor shift conversion. I got it cheap too. I drove it home from an hour away and left my Ranger at the guys house. He had some cool shit in his garage.

The 5.0 will go back to carbed eventually.

View attachment 968799 View attachment 968800 View attachment 968801 View attachment 968802 View attachment 968803 View attachment 968804
wow, that is cool as a driver

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
1 7/8 dual straight pipes and loud as fuck. Im considering keeping them. It sounds like the black flame car from Grease when you hop on it. 😁

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Uhhhhhh...

I bet you shook your cane at them when they got rid of points...didn’t you...

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Since your set on going carb a dual quad tunnel wedge would look killer but since they only fit on FE motors then I guess you need a 427 side oiler to go underneath it. With that much power you should be sporting a big shaft toploader. A 9" rear is a necessity and those tires will never be able to hold traction so you might as well narrow the rear end and tub it for some nice meats. That much traction is going to require some sub-frame connectors to keep it from twisting the body and since you've gone that far you might as well cage it. That big engine is going to need to breath so get rid of the two inner headlights and put a dual snorkel air box on but that wont fit under the hood so a large teardrop hood is a must. 😁
At that point he could just buy a Chevy and be done with it

4Waters

Reaction score
I’m not a fanatic brand loyalist but I doubt that there was much of anything that could compete with an early 60’s Fairlane Thunderbolt, which is what I was suggesting that he do.
Oh boy, here we go🤣

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Oh boy, here we go🤣
Eeh, to each their own, like I said I'm not totally brand loyal. I've had vehicles from lots of different stables. If it makes GM folks feel better my latest engine project is a SBC 383. Of course it is sporting a few Ford parts to keep it fast and reliable. 😁

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
Eeh, to each their own, like I said I'm not totally brand loyal. I've had vehicles from lots of different stables. If it makes GM folks feel better my latest engine project is a SBC 383. Of course it is sporting a few Ford to keep it fast and reliable. 😁
I'm a Ford guy through and through. I know cars have more power and torque now than the 60's but the way the power comes on is completely different now, the torque curve of the 60's is way quicker and the new cars don't throw you in the seat like they did in the past, the difference is the new cars hold you in the seat the same throughout the RPM.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I’m not a fanatic brand loyalist but I doubt that there was much of anything that could compete with an early 60’s Fairlane Thunderbolt, which is what I was suggesting that he do.
That was an amazing era of drag racing.
I thought the 409/409 Biscayne was a pretty even match for the Thunderbolt, even though the Thunderbolt was superior in factory support (lightweight/fiberglass/stripped) and had a 100HP on the 409 (supposedly). I love old sleepers!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I bet you shook you cane at them when they got rid of points...didn’t you...

I actually remember when that happened!

I got to watch, at the dealership level, the whole progression from points and condensers to variable valve timing.

Not only did I get to watch, I had to diagnose and fix all that shit! LoL

What a long strange trip it's been...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm a Ford guy through and through. I know cars have more power and torque now than the 60's but the way the power comes on is completely different now, the torque curve of the 60's is way quicker and the new cars don't throw you in the seat like they did in the past, the difference is the new cars hold you in the seat the same throughout the RPM.

The way it was explained to me was...

You're not feeling the power coming on, you're feeling the lack of power going away.

Tuning is everything.

4Waters

Reaction score
The way it was explained to me was...

You're not feeling the power coming on, you're feeling the lack of power going away.

Tuning is everything.
Nah, 500lbs/ft is 500lbs/ft of torque, the difference is in the 60's that 500lbs/ft was done at 3-3500 rpms and now that 500lbs/ft goes to about 4000 and for the most part flattens instead of falling off.