WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I've got the itch for some 454 magnum mods, got any ideas?

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
So I have had my shockwave for about 2 months and I have the itch to put some new exhaust on. Looking for something thats gonna sound great and add some power on the stock 1998 454mag. I have been eye balling the EMI Thunder exhaust or the Dana Torque Flow for a bit but does anyone have any other suggestions that won't make my wallet puke?:skull Also has anyone ever put this tuning kit on their 454 mag yet? http://www.cpperformance.com/p-13681-ss-sport-series-tuning-kit-for-mercruiser-454-502-magnum-mpi-engines.aspx Or would I be better off sending the ecu to arizona speed and marine to have the ecu reflashed?

Last edited:

Director...
Reaction score
So I have had my shockwave for about 2 months and I have the itch to put some new exhaust on. Looking for something thats gonna sound great and add some power on the stock 1998 454mag. I have been eye balling the EMI Thunder exhaust or the Dana Torque Flow for a bit but does anyone have any other suggestions that won't make my wallet puke?:skull Also has anyone ever put this tuning kit on their 454 mag yet? http://www.cpperformance.com/p-13681-ss-sport-series-tuning-kit-for-mercruiser-454-502-magnum-mpi-engines.aspx Or would I be better off sending the ecu to arizona speed and marine to have the ecu reflashed?

The kit adds 15 hp?....Do you even think you would notice 15 hp..?

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
The kit adds 15 hp?....Do you even think you would notice 15 hp..?

I doubt it but maybe with an extra 400 rpm might be able to change the prop to get a little more out of it, hell that's if it even makes power at 5400rpm.:grumble: I figure that even if I change exhaust the ecu should be re-programmed right?:hmm I am not even sure if that K&N would do anything that's why I am asking if anyone has installed it or is it snake oil?:skull

Last edited:

Director...
Reaction score
I doubt it but maybe with an extra 400 rpm might be able to change the prop to get a little more out of it, hell that's if it even makes power at 5400rpm.:grumble: I figure that even if I change exhaust the ecu should be re-programmed right?:hmm I am not even sure if that K&N would do anything that's why I am asking if anyone has installed it or is it snake oil?:skull

If you want the best bang for the buck, your gonna need a blower...I suggest one like this...

blown-chevy.jpg

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
I can always count on you JBB.:bowdown::skull:grumble:

H2oracer

Reaction score
I put the Emi thunder on a 330 hp 454. I could feel more power getting on plane but no rpm or speed increase.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
here ya go... www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54510 click the link This is it all the power ya need And you will be able 2 go up 2 prop sizes or pitch ... Give me a shout

Thanks but like I said something that won't make my wallet puke in my back pocket lol.:D I already scoped out your ad and don't get me wrong I would love to have a whipple but I just turned 600 hrs and not sure that would do my wallet any favors. Just looking for a good exhaust and maybe a tune if its even worth it.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
IF I ever went the supercharger route I have always been a fan of procharger. But that amount of cash is not in my immediate future:cry: Anyone have a suggestion which exhaust is more bang for the buck?

C-2

Reaction score
Ever since the 496's came out, fewer people have any hands-on or real word experience with the older motors; at least on this board.

The topic of upgrading 454's is voluminous over on OSO - do a search over there in th tech section. Use an advanced Google search to search their archives if the site itself does not take you far enough back.

I'm curious to know if you could ever prop it out enough to see 5400 rpms. I would think a top end prop that allowed you to reach 5400 would blow out horribly on the lower end.

And if yiou're that close on the budget, you might consider doing nothing at all since anything you do might push that 600 hour motor over the edge. Perhaps spending your mpney freshening things up, and maybe a cam upgrade might be money WELL SPENT.

WELL SPENT is the key idea here because I went with a cam upgrade on a 454 mag that didn't turn out so well....which led to a new motor....whci I still haven't put into the boat since I'm not looking forward to, well, firing up a new motor and working out the kinks and headaches.

If I had to do it over again - I WOULDN'T TOUCH A THING. Mainly, because 5-10mph is irrelevant in the days of turnkey 80+ boats. Just enjoy the thing and save the money until it breaks.