WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

J drains

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
I have 2 j drains in my flatty. They are brand new but still leak. I know to make sure they are clean and if anything gets stuck in them they will leak. Is there anything you can do to get them to stop?

DiMarco21

Reaction score
I make these....

J-Drain Replacement Kit

Our kit replaces existing leaking j-drains and converting it to a 1" twist-in style drain plug.

Made from 6061-T6 aluminum, that can be easily polished or anodized to match your hardware.

Fit a standard hole pattern for the 2" x 2" j-drain. Bolts right in utilizing holes already in your boat for a clean appearance. Also supplied is a 1" stainless steel twist-in drain plug.

DSC01059.JPG

Can be purchased here...http://www.d21ent.com/product-p/d21-027.htm

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
Those are bitchen but I would have no way to get the water out. No bilge pump.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I have 3 j drains in my Sanger, I always have some chap stick in my pocket when I Launch. I little chap stick on your fingers and lube up the rubber, works good make sure everything is clean, still a little by pass but I leave the boat in over night and no issues. I don't have any holes in the stringers, that's why 3 drains, I usually just get water in the center section, more likely leaky rudder or stuffing box, but I love the J drains, I was taking them out when I bought the boat as a bare hull, but that was 17 years ago :)

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
ChapStick is a good idea. I was thinking Vaseline. ChapStick looks a little better when you pull that out.

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
I know J-drains are as basic as they come however they do work if just a few things are understood and followed thru with. As we know J-Drains work better the deeper they are because of increased water pressure. I use one on my race boat and it operates very well. When I had my XH511 Hondo which had 3 drains I was very careful on installing (school of hard knocks): Light coat of silicone on the hull, EQUAL and LIGHT light clamp on the four mount screws. The biggest culprit here is folks tend to over-tighten which distorts the mating faces big time hence leakage. Start with new drain rebuild kits and give it a try. Or create an engine oil leak, that seals 'em up too.