WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Javelina Hunt in 18b

Dettom

Reaction score
Going hunting for javelina next week in 18b. (East of Wikieup) handgun/archery/ muzzleloader season. Carrying .44 Mag and T/C Contender in .30 Herrett. Anyone have experience in this unit, I’ve not hunted it before? Tips, tricks? I have hunted them before, although not for many years and it was all down by the border. I won’t go there anymore though.

HavaToon

Reaction score
Never done 18B, I’ll be down in 20B. Been going there for years so we’ve become accustomed to where the are. Usually running the washes. We just ride the rangers to all the spots and glass for a while.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dettom

Reaction score
Never done 18B, I’ll be down in 20B. Been going there for years so we’ve become accustomed to where the are. Usually running the washes. We just ride the rangers to all the spots and glass for a while.

Good luck.

Thanks, going to glass the washes from ridges and glass south facing hillsides too.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score

Good luck.

This^^^^^^^

This is one reason the AZGFD made Archery Javelina a draw. Not sure of the year, maybe 86-87? it was open, over the counter, statewide for archery Javelina. The bow hunters and equipment got better and better. The herds were getting hammered by hunters, and their buddies going back to hunt them, time and time again. Herds back then were much larger than what you see now.

I would frequently see herds of 30-40 even more. The herds seemed to shrink to perhaps a dozen or less. Making it a draw, kept the successful hunters from reporting back to their pals and them going back and hammering them. Their predictability was their downfall.

The herd sizes seem to be on the upswing. Another success for the AZGFD.

People complain, but I think our GFD is the finest in the nation. Just look at our trophy herds of; Elk, Antelope and the management practices of the finest Mule Deer herd in the world (Kaibab Plateau and Strip)

Good luck on your hunt(s)

Steve

Last edited:
Reaction score
Going hunting for javelina next week in 18b. (East of Wikieup) handgun/archery/ muzzleloader season. Carrying .44 Mag and T/C Contender in .30 Herrett. Anyone have experience in this unit, I’ve not hunted it before? Tips, tricks? I have hunted them before, although not for many years and it was all down by the border. I won’t go there anymore though.

We've had a lot of rain, so they might not be in the washes.

Dettom

Reaction score
3240C21A-FCF6-46CD-BBAA-61A17BCFE6A4.jpeg
0F8445B9-06E7-4A56-BCCB-17CA437723AA.jpeg
Got it done last Sunday. 47 yard shot with my .44 mag. Cold, windy, and some snow but kept after it. Hard work paid off.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Are they any good to eat?
I’ve heard mixed reviews.

Dettom

Reaction score
Are they any good to eat?
I’ve heard mixed reviews.
Don't know yet. But I split the meat up with my friend who carried it out for me, and I gave him one of the hams and a tenderloin. Didn't bother cutting around shoulder area, due mostly to solid copper 44 mag round punching through both shoulders. I found a good recipe on YouTube for javelina carnitas and I'm going to try that.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Don't know yet. But I split the meat up with my friend who carried it out for me, and I gave him one of the hams and a tenderloin. Didn't bother cutting around shoulder area, due mostly to solid copper 44 mag round punching through both shoulders. I found a good recipe on YouTube for javelina carnitas and I'm going to try that.
Right on!