In it to win it
Reaction score
Pretty cool pics I saw on fb
3AE2DE74-520B-408A-9124-7D4ACCEA1C31.jpeg
A19B3365-513C-4C5C-891A-43B4F0006BF6.jpeg
8B2A1052-CBC6-43DE-ABC8-0A44ED06FFB4.jpeg

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Went surfing with my kid a few weeks ago. Those are the same images I couldn’t get out of my head the whole time. I’m good for another 25 years. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old rigger

Reaction score
Went surfing with my kid a few weeks ago. Those are the same images I couldn’t get out of my head the whole time. I’m good for another 25 years. [emoji23]

When I do an open water swim race, that's all I think about. I actually think it has something to do with my finishes. For my age I always finish in the top 25% which is pretty good and almost always top 3 in my age group.

Fear is a powerful motivator.

This pic makes me pucker right up. Catalina ski race in I think 2015.

bc8a21_f635be36179a4fd4b63c0e31e41b85ca~mv2_d_4594_3226_s_4_2.jpg

Last edited:

azsunfun

Reaction score
just got the grandaughter jaws bathroom set she sent me a pick, theres the nip on the chick swimming on the shower curtain, cool pics.

One2go

Reaction score
When I do an open water swim race, that's all I think about. I actually think it has something to do with my finishes. For my age I always finish in the top 25% which is pretty good and almost always top 3 in my age group.

This pic makes me pucker right up.

View attachment 1035962
Holy crap. Know where the was taken 😳

old rigger

Reaction score
Holy crap. Know where the was taken 😳

Yes, I forgot to mention that and added it to my post.

Catalina ski race in either '15 or '17.

When dad got out of the boat biz he went to work for Pennzoil and ran a tank farm down in San Pedro. The dock was about 500 feet long for the tankers to hitch to and there was a little house there too that he stayed in while the oil was off loaded. Took about 3 days to do. Anyway he called me up one day when my son was about 3, he's 34 now, and told me to bring him down now! We got there and he took us to the open air fish market where they had a 21' great white on display in a large canvas tup filled with ice. It's mouth was propped open with a piece of 4X4. My son couldn't see what was in there and when I lifted him up is was of course right in front of the mouth. lol his little legs were a blur as it scared the shit out of him. Ironically he's a ocean nut, surfing, lobster dives and fishing. Me, not so much.

Oh, they caught the 21 foot great white in the channel between Long beach and Catalina Island.

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score

It will take me 25 years to get the image of you surfing out of my head. Thanks

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

View attachment 1035962
Looks like it may be a young whale shark or the like due to the size, coloring, lack of a prominent dorsal fin, and the ridge down the back.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
They took those pics down near Take-Off point.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
When the movie Jaws came out it ended my part time amateur bodysurfing career. True story.
I was 12 and tried surfing on my brothers knee board. ended badly, split my forehead open. couldn't get out of the water fast enough... to the tune of the Jaws theme running through my head. bunch of stitches later and I never knee boarded again.:rolleyes:😁

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Sharks are terrifying but i love them, they are tasty too. they are the perfect machine, they never stop moving and they only have 2 purposes in life, breed and eat.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Not a photoshop. They went out and baited the sharks and had a photographer in a cage
How did a guy in a cage take an overhead shot of a waterskiier. Lol. My bad, I should’ve quoted the photo i was referring to.
Those pics you posted are BADASS And I totally believe they are legit, you can sense the power of these beasts.
A few years ago My Dad and I did a great white cage dive at Farallon Islands in the Red Triangle. Unfortunately we got skunked and only ended up seeing some great white jellyfish come bobbing by. Argh.

hallett21

Reaction score
How did a guy in a cage take an overhead shot of a waterskiier. Lol. I probably should’ve quoted the photo i was referring to.
Those pics you posted are BADASS And I totally believe they are legit, you can sense the power of these beasts.
A few years ago My Dad and I did a great white cage dive at Farallon Islands in the Red Triangle. Unfortunately we got skunked and only ended up seeing some great white jellyfish come bobbing by. Argh.

The waterski race one is a real photo. But from what I remember the whales were migrating at that time of year. 99% sure you’re looking at a whale not a shark.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
The waterski race one is a real photo. But from what I remember the whales were migrating at that time of year. 99% sure you’re looking at a whale not a shark.

Doesn’t it look like a Koi though? Lol.

Taboma

Reaction score
Sharks are terrifying but i love them, they are tasty too. they are the perfect machine, they never stop moving and they only have 2 purposes in life, breed and eat.

Some Shark species are tasty, notables being Mako and Thresher, while others, such as Blues, unless you enjoy marinating your fish steaks in urine, not so much. 🤮

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Some Shark species are tasty, notables being Mako and Thresher, while others, such as Blues, unless you enjoy marinating your fish steaks in urine, not so much. 🤮
So how were the urine steaks? Did they taste like…….?

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Correct, Mako & thresher are both tasty. they are the only 2 i have had, but hear nothing good about the others.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Swam with reef sharks and a big huge lemon. TBH, it was way more intimidating stand in the boat looking down at them. Once I got in the water the anxiety disappeared. Way bitchen experience.👍😎

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Correct, Mako & thresher are both tasty. they are the only 2 i have had, but hear nothing good about the others.
The Leopard sharks we catch in Tomales Bay are kinda good, just not great. Caught this one in a crab trap.

AE5EDD31-3C75-489E-BB5E-0C34E0CC5001.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
So how were the urine steaks? Did they taste like…….?

We used to inquire of young buck fishermen, as they were eagerly steaking up their freshy caught Blue shark, is that strong lovely scent of ammonia not causing you to wonder what this will taste like ?
You can smell it from 50 feet away even before you make a cut. WHY ?

" As a shark deteriorates the urea in their blood immediately begins to break down into ammonia which then gets absorbed in the flesh and expelled through the skin of the animal. In other words, sharks urinate through their skin. "

Now certain species are partially warm blooded, Makos as an example, their meat, unlike Blue shark, is exceptional, like Swordfish. I've read you can soak blue shark meat in milk and it removes that strong flavor of Ammonia, no thanks, there's plenty of other edible fish in the sea. 😂

Taboma

Reaction score

I caught a huge Hammerhead off La Jolla years ago, since I worked for over an hour to boat him and kill him, I felt I owed him the honor of eating him. Dock mates weren't sure about Hammerheads, so I started to steak him up and WHOA, there was that ammonia odor. I continued to cut steaks, but instead of bothering to soak in milk and BBQ I took them to the local smoker. They came out excellent smoked, although I'm not sure what they did regarding a pre-soak and brine.

HotRod82

Reaction score
20ish years ago, me and another surfer were sitting just outside near the pier in OB waiting and hoping the surf would pick up. Suddenly a large dorsal fin appeared right at the front of his board, swimming very slowly toward me. I picked up my feet and that big bastard very slowly curled around the end of my board, swam right past me close enough to touch it, and headed out to sea. I'm pretty sure it was a Mako, with the triangular snout. I was a bit stunned and just sat there for a moment. The other guy broke the speed of sound back to the shore, he was paddling his ass off. When i told the lifeguards about it, they said she had been hanging around the last few days but hadn't really bothered anybody. Deep ocean water has never been the same for me.....

poncho

Reaction score
Cape Cod Bay gets more and more every year, mostly great white that have made it part of their yearly migration. 20 some odd years ago they enacted legislation protecting seals and they have exploded in numbers.
Always laugh when I see people online asking "what are we going to do"?...Same rich idiots that pushed to save the seals are now afraid to swim in front of their houses.
I think we have had 2 people killed in 4 years and the scientists say it's only going to get worse.
The Kid's and I like to shut off and drift in open water, I'm the asshole Uncle that say's when they are swimming "Do you ever wonder if something is watching you" :p

Last edited:

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Swam with reef sharks and a big huge lemon. TBH, it was way more intimidating stand in the boat looking down at them. Once I got in the water the anxiety disappeared. Way bitchen experience.👍😎
Where did you do this at?

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Thanks RD great pics. Hard to get those images out of my head next time I paddle out. I am terrified of anything that has been around longer than humans and survived thousands of years (Sharks, Alligators/Crocs) with one exception "Clowns".

X-rated

Reaction score
I think were gonna need a bigger boat!!

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
If you're interested in sharks, check out the Greenland Shark. If the marine biologists are correct, this may be the oldest living vertebrate species on earth. Their ages have been estimated to be between 250 - 500 years. Hard to imagine that. They are extremely slow moving bottom feeders. Remains of seals, polar bears, moose and reindeer have been found in their stomachs. It is thought these animals were likely dead when the shark was attracted to the smell in the water of their rotting meat.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

View attachment 1035962
That is a Blue Whale..... streamlined sillouhette much different than our Gray whales. And 2X larger....

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
How did a guy in a cage take an overhead shot of a waterskiier. Lol. My bad, I should’ve quoted the photo i was referring to.

There are better pics of that whale under the water skier and even a video. It’s crazy in the video to see how large the whale is

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I caught a huge Hammerhead off La Jolla years ago, since I worked for over an hour to boat him and kill him, I felt I owed him the honor of eating him. Dock mates weren't sure about Hammerheads, so I started to steak him up and WHOA, there was that ammonia odor. I continued to cut steaks, but instead of bothering to soak in milk and BBQ I took them to the local smoker. They came out excellent smoked, although I'm not sure what they did regarding a pre-soak and brine.

i didn’t even know we had hammerheads on the west coast!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
20ish years ago, me and another surfer were sitting just outside near the pier in OB waiting and hoping the surf would pick up. Suddenly a large dorsal fin appeared right at the front of his board, swimming very slowly toward me. I picked up my feet and that big bastard very slowly curled around the end of my board, swam right past me close enough to touch it, and headed out to sea. I'm pretty sure it was a Mako, with the triangular snout. I was a bit stunned and just sat there for a moment. The other guy broke the speed of sound back to the shore, he was paddling his ass off. When i told the lifeguards about it, they said she had been hanging around the last few days but hadn't really bothered anybody. Deep ocean water has never been the same for me.....

I told my shark story on here once.. lol. Similar but it was a white cruising down the coast. That was the last time I went in the ocean…. And I used to love the ocean. 😳

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I told my shark story on here once.. lol. Similar but it was a white cruising down the coast. That was the last time I went in the ocean…. And I used to love the ocean. 😳
We've got the last local commercial fishing family here in Newport located under PCH on back bay in a small shanty selling fish, crabs, etc.... Pearsons Port is known to locals on RDP I bet. Tommy Pearson told me some years ago about all the great whites he sees while pulling up his traps in winter months.... really wish he hadn't mentioned that.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Hammerheads are common on the west coast during warm water years.