Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
After:

qdji1ivgiakykzze8pv_pomxm4_88qu5zf-6e_amibg-jpeg.147686

Before:

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 7.43.38 AM.png

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I heard the fuse block started the fire.
But I will say this. I have a 6.4 Hemi with 34” tires and I’m running 4:88.

5.38 and 45” tires must have been a turd.

boatpi

Reaction score
I hope they had added the improvements to their insurance policy!!!

WhatExit?

Reaction score

My Gladiator has 37's and I changed the gearing to 4.88s to get the truck back into factory RPMs. Works extremely well for the 37" tires

GladiatorCamping - 1 (1).jpeg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Did you re-gear to 4.88?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My Gladiator has 37's and I changed the gearing to 4.88s to get the truck back into factory RPMs. Works extremely well for the 37" tires

View attachment 991444
I’m sure you gladiator is fine with 37” with 4:88.

I’m sure the gladiator with 45”s and 5.38 was fine empty. But towing? Not so much and I doubt it had much to do with the fire.

Kind of in odd towing choice in my opinion.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I feel like this is a weird question, since you quoted me saying I have 4:88’s.

But yes I regeared to 4:88.
I just wanted to check cause Im pretty sure a Ram with the 6.4 is a strong contender for my next truck and I look to your opinion on you truck for that. I was fairly certain the factory did not offer a 4.88 option but wasn't 100%. Hence my question and its phrasing.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I just wanted to check cause Im pretty sure a Ram with the 6.4 is a strong contender for my next truck and I look to your opinion on you truck for that. I was fairly certain the factory did not offer a 4.88 option but wasn't 100%. Hence my question and its phrasing.

I have a Ram 2019 6.4 hemi, factory 4:11 with the 8 speed transmission. Tows 14,000lbs boat from Phoenix to Lake Powell and back really nice! 600 miles avg about 7 mpg. I tow the speed limit and take my time.

rrrr

Reaction score
I have a Ram 2019 6.4 hemi, factory 4:11 with the 8 speed transmission. Tows 14,000lbs boat from Phoenix to Lake Powell and back really nice! 600 miles avg about 7 mpg. I tow the speed limit and take my time.

Actual real question:

What's the wheelbase of your truck, and that of the Jeep? What's the trailer's WB? Ignoring the fire and all that, I am curious about the WB, because that's an important consideration in towing heavy loads.

Regarding the fire, I'd like to know the engine RPM and vehicle speed when it occurred, and also the specs of the transmission and transfer case gearing. Were aftermarket fluid coolers fitted for the transmission and transfer case? Did the modifications include thermostatically controlled electric fans for the coolers? Was effective shroud ducting installed? The airflow across those devices is critical when towing heavy loads over mountain terrain highways at low vehicle and high driveline speeds.

Absent a mechanical failure, I think it's obvious that effective investigation of the above issues wasn't performed.

You can't just bolt on parts and expect everything to work just dandy. The math to determine effective temperature drop across intercoolers isn't difficult to perform.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Actual real question:

What's the wheelbase of your truck, and that of the Jeep? What's the trailer's WB? Ignoring the fire and all that, I am curious about the WB, because that's an important consideration in towing heavy loads.

Regarding the fire, I'd like to know the engine RPM and vehicle speed when it occurred, and also the specs of the transmission and transfer case gearing. Were aftermarket fluid coolers fitted for the transmission and transfer case? Did the modifications include thermostatically controlled electric fans for the coolers? Was effective shroud ducting installed? The airflow across those devices is critical when towing heavy loads over mountain terrain highways at low vehicle and high driveline speeds.

Absent a mechanical failure, I think it's obvious that effective investigation of the above issues wasn't performed.

You can't just bolt on parts and expect everything to work just dandy. The math to determine effective temperature drop across intercoolers isn't difficult to perform.

Wheelbase on my regular cab long bed 2500 4x4 is 140.2 inches, according to what I could dig up online. But I was really only quoting Flying_lavey with his comment about it being a strong contender.... I have no idea what this gladiator has going on with a goose neck and towing, seems totally off base to me....

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I feel like this is a weird question, since you quoted me saying I have 4:88’s.

But yes I regeared to 4:88.
As you can see on my Jeep here I have implemented a number of.... Well... implementations a regear to 4:88 being one of them.

😂

2Driver

Reaction score
The 6.4 will be in the Gladiator soon enough. Makes more sense than the oil burner version IMO.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
That was like 6-7 days ago in hurricane,ut

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Gotcha. Yeah you can call me anytime and I will give you an honest no BS opinion. I have had it all.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Actual real question:

Fuse box supposedly. In any case. Odd towing choice. Gives new meaning too money to burn.
2138A7FE-24CD-4BF5-ABCD-73282704C2A7.png

rrrr

Reaction score
Fuse box supposedly. In any case. Odd towing choice. Gives new meaning too money to burn. View attachment 991605

Which makes me suspect add on wiring to light bars, winches, and other common mods to 4 X 4 vehicles.

It wasn't the fuse box that caused the fire, it was the Magilla Gorilla wiring inserted into the box.

😁

WhatExit?

Reaction score
That Jeep had major engine mods and you’re suspecting lights. Not the most obvious assumption but you could be right

WildWilly

Reaction score
Gotcha. Yeah you can call me anytime and I will give you an honest no BS opinion. I have had it all.

I just picked up a '21 Power Wagon with the 6.4 and 4.10's. it only has 33's stock but alot of people swap to 35's without issue, 37's requires trimming on stock suspension. So far at 2k miles I've been impressed with it offroad and decently well with towing.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I just picked up a '21 Power Wagon with the 6.4 and 4.10's. it only has 33's stock but alot of people swap to 35's without issue, 37's requires trimming on stock suspension. So far at 2k miles I've been impressed with it offroad and decently well with towing.
The ‘19 and newer have the 8 speed. Much better than the 6 speed.

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Here is my 2018 w/ 37's. Leveled suspension had to trim and still ripped the inner fender wall off.
Virgil.jpg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
It cracks me up that this guy, and apparently others as well, think that if you just swap in the drive train out of a 3/4 ton truck, it makes whatever you put it in have the 3/4 ton capabilities. Most likely the reason why it is labeled "2500" and is towing a gooseneck in a truck that is only rated to tow 8k at most. Looks like he forgot to take into account the cooling system in that equation. I wouldn't be surprised if that engine bay was COOKING pulling that trailer How much you wana bet that the underbelly has a lot of skid plates as you can see the wheel wells have new sheet metal inner fenders as well. Bet there isnt NEARLY enough air flow through the engine bay for the amount of work that truck was doing when loaded.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Damn.........so much hate. I think it’s a bummer. Only takes one bad connection to melt something down. Glad I never pretend to be perfect. Murphy hates those that boast of being perfect ya know.

WildWilly

Reaction score
Here is my 2018 w/ 37's. Leveled suspension had to trim and still ripped the inner fender wall off. View attachment 991757

nice!

I'm trying very hard to have some restraint with this truck. in stock form its beyond capable for most things and since I have a dedicated offroad truck I don't need it to be the end all. We will use it on a few long haul trips, some towing, so I'm trying to keep it tame. But damn I see what some guys are doing to them with Carli or Thuren set ups and its hard lol so I'll probably swap on 35's on the stockers and leave it.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
nice!

I'm trying very hard to have some restraint with this truck. in stock form its beyond capable for most things and since I have a dedicated offroad truck I don't need it to be the end all. We will use it on a few long haul trips, some towing, so I'm trying to keep it tame. But damn I see what some guys are doing to them with Carli or Thuren set ups and its hard lol so I'll probably swap on 35's on the stockers and leave it.

This is purely stock without even leveling.... 35 inch toyos and the wheel offset matches stock wheel offset.

turck.jpg

LakeBeard

Reaction score
nice!

35's on stock rims rub like a MF'r. pic below is my 35 from the passenger side, only on for about a year

View attachment 992087

Attachments

• 1618418687542.png
    1618418687542.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 51