WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Jeep tires... Input needed

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
20181123_113142(0)-01.jpeg

Anyone have some input about what tires are best these days? Gonna be buying some new shoes for Ruby soon and don't wanna end up with shitty ones. I don't mind paying more for quality ones.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Depending on the size and use...

You could search the various forums including the Gladiator forums and buy someone's takeoffs. Jeep had been going with Falken Wildpeak tires which are quite good and the price would be great as most are barely used

Unless your heart is stuck on 'em I'd recommend not going with Mud Tires (MT) as they can be noisy to very noisy on road.

My tires of choice are Toyo Open Country (https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3/) and Nitto Ridge Grappler (https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/ridge-grappler-light-truck-tire/) - Toyo and Nitto are sister companies and these are excellent on/off road tires that work well and they're quiet.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depending on the size and use...

You could search the various forums including the Gladiator forums and buy someone's takeoffs. Jeep had been going with Falken Wildpeak tires which are quite good and the price would be great as most are barely used

Unless your heart is stuck on 'em I'd recommend not going with Mud Tires (MT) as they can be noisy to very noisy on road.

My tires of choice are Toyo Open Country (https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3/) and Nitto Ridge Grappler (https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/ridge-grappler-light-truck-tire/) - Toyo and Nitto are sister companies and these are excellent on/off road tires that work well and they're quiet.

Thanks for the input! We don't drive it much on the road, and I prefer the look of the mud tires, so we'll go that route for sure.

LGETT

Diving In
Reaction score
I've ran most of the major brands, Toyo, BFG, Interceptor, etc..
Put a set of Patagonia's on my JK Rubicon and I'm really liking them. Good traction off road, not extremely noisy on road and seem to be wearing decent so far.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Patagonia seems to be a hot choice these days.
But I can’t get myself to run a B-Brand tire on my vehicles.

I’ve been a Toyo MT fanboy forever.

But I took a chance with the new (at the time) Yokohama G003 MT…very happy with these tires. Good treadwear, a bit quieter than I recall compared to Toyo MT, great off road traction.

So you may want to consider the Yokos. and if you search YouTube for “Yokohama g003” you’ll see tons of Jeep and Taco/4Runner reviews with this tire…seems to be a popular choice these days.

Plus it’s good looking 👍

357EFA35-2628-4996-A375-7CB312DF714D.jpeg

zhandfull

Reaction score
I’ve been pretty happy with the Patagonia M/T for daily driver weekend trail rig. Real quiet and smooth when new. Getting pretty noisy now that they have 30,000 miles on them. Looking to upsize to 37 or 38’s soon. Like the fact that Patagonia 38’s are a C load rating. Thinking that would provide a better ride on and off road in a Jeep. Better than an E rated tire is my theory.
2CD6F2CD-5905-444B-872A-FF6E0EEC48B8.jpeg

Last edited:

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Patagonia seems to be a hot choice these days.
But I can’t get myself to run a B-Brand tire on my vehicles.

I’ve been a Toyo MT fanboy forever.

But I took a chance with the new (at the time) Yokohama G003 MT…very happy with these tires. Good treadwear, a bit quieter than I recall compared to Toyo MT, great off road traction.

So you may want to consider the Yokos. and if you search YouTube for “Yokohama g003” you’ll see tons of Jeep and Taco/4Runner reviews with this tire…seems to be a popular choice these days.

Plus it’s good looking 👍

View attachment 1157757
Those look great! I'll check them out. Thanks!

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most peeps will agree that BFG Mud Terrain are hard to beat. They are at the top of the price list, must be a reason.
We had a set of BFGs on our truck that bubbled - all 5 of them. They may have improved since then (approx 5ish years ago?), but I'm pretty anti-BFG now 😕

pronstar

Reaction score
I prefer E rated tires, particularly off-road, where ride quality isn’t as important as perhaps other factors.

It’s a heavier tire, significantly more rubber, more ply strength and greater picture resistance compared to a C or even a D rated tire.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I prefer E rated tires, particularly off-road, where ride quality isn’t as important as perhaps other factors.

It’s a heavier tire, significantly more rubber, more ply strength and greater picture resistance compared to a C or even a D rated tire.

The benefits of the higher ratings for tires used off road seem to outweigh the sidewall stiffness concerns and they can, of course, be aired down. Ya’all air down off road, right? 😁

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
The benefits of the higher ratings for tires used off road seem to outweigh the sidewall stiffness concerns and they can, of course, be aired down. Ya’all air down off road, right? 😁
That’s why I like the E rated tires, and they don’t tend to squat as much when we air down.

pronstar

Reaction score
Yeah I air-down to around 18 psi as a general rule when off road.

And I only run 30 psi when on-road.
Still leaves me with 900 lbs excess capacity according to load inflation tables.

Here’s a load inflation table. While it’s on Toyos website, it industry standard so it’s the same for other tires.

Could prolly go a bit lower off-rod, but I don’t want to pop the bead…and beadlocks don’t make sense for my current use. But I might go that route in the future.

hman442

Reaction score
We had a set of BFGs on our truck that bubbled - all 5 of them. They may have improved since then (approx 5ish years ago?), but I'm pretty anti-BFG now 😕
Geez, I would be too. I'm not a BFG fan boy, I am running a set on my GMC, first set I've bought in 20 years, but I have lots of friends that have had a lot of them in that time with good luck and wear. Up here in "Les Schwab Country", Toyo has been very popular, as that was Schwabs' premier brand, and people like his credit program, so lots have been sold. I hear tons more bubbling, quick wear, etc. issues with Toyo than most other brands, where, on this forum Toyos are top shelf. I wonder if Schwabs were getting seconds or is that even a thing ?

Last edited:

hman442

Reaction score
As mentioned, the Yokohama Geolanders look really good, and I've wondered about that Goodyear with Kevlar, looks like an animal, but I've never seen anybody running a set around here

zhandfull

Reaction score
Last time I looked all factory tires on Raptor and Rubis were all D rated. E rated are for 3/4 ton and 1 tons. 😁 So yeah if you have 1 ton axles under your Jeep, E rated tires it is. Some people build their rigs for King of the Hammer and others to drive everyday.

Last edited:

pronstar

Reaction score
One more note to muddy the water:

BFG MT is the only MT im aware of, that’s available as OEM from the factory.

They’re also premium priced…which makes sense, as BFG is essentially Michelin’s off-road brand tire.

2Driver

Reaction score
Had Toyo 34” MT on the JK really liked them (285 75 17), they make an RT as well. Seriously consider the 34’s they look like 35’s but are easier on the gear ratio and are about 9 lbs lighter. You‘ll really like the performance over 35’s

Here's my JK on 34 MT Toyo and my buddy just ditched his 35's and did the same on his 2012 but did Toyo AT

D8A3ADB5-7AB2-46AA-9C89-B99FD7D5AF93.jpeg
081393D1-8F5A-4E79-82F2-DB18F04C3F20.jpeg

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
I have BFG KO3 tires on both of my jeeps

12 jk 37’s
05 LJ 35’s

the 37’s are worn about half way and make a little noise like a hummm running down the highway, They didn’t do this when new….

I have a lot of friends that run the Toyo Mud on their jeeps/ crawlers / pre runners and they are an excellent tire, but kinda heavy in a 37 really good off road, strong side wall

CLdrinker

Reaction score

Have to run really low air pressure to get any flex.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Haha! Yeah, it rides like crap if you have them full. We air down to 18psi - nice and squishy 😁

pronstar

Reaction score
BFG are USA made if that matters to you.
Toyo, Nitto and Toyo also make most of their their LT truck tires in the USA 👍

Edit:
But the ones in my truck were made in Japan

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Yeah I air-down to around 18 psi as a general rule when off road.

And I only run 30 psi when on-road.
Still leaves me with 900 lbs excess capacity according to load inflation tables.

Here’s a load inflation table. While it’s on Toyos website, it industry standard so it’s the same for other tires.

Could prolly go a bit lower off-rod, but I don’t want to pop the bead…and beadlocks don’t make sense for my current use. But I might go that route in the future.
Congratulations are in order for you --- a man who actually reads and gives proper consideration to the Load Inflation Tables 👍👏
This is an especially critical consideration for hot weather towing and so few even realize it's even a thing. Bravo sir.

2Driver

Reaction score
Congratulations are in order for you --- a man who actually reads and gives proper consideration to the Load Inflation Tables 👍👏
This is an especially critical consideration for hot weather towing and so few even realize it's even a thing. Bravo sir.

I read that and don’t have a clue what I am supposed to do
LOL, Fuck it I run the Gladiator 285 75 17 E rated at 38 on the road and 22-25 off road. I don’t load it but if I did Id run it up to 45-50

Last edited:

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
It’s just too bad the tire manufactures seem to bury that information, with some manufactures it’s very difficult to find, lots of searching on the Internet required.

Taboma

Reaction score
LOL, Fuck it I run the Gladiator 285 75 17 E rated at 38 on the road and 22-25 off road. I don’t load it but if I did Id run it up to 45-50
The basics are --- the heavier duty the Tires and sidewalls, the more air pressure is required for the same vehicle loading. This is because the extra side wall plys (Thickness) generate more heat when flexing.

Consider the logic with consideration that race tires having paper thin (By comparison) sidewalls, so when worked hard and flexed they don't generate destructively high temperatures.

So if you take a Ford Raptor with special load "C" BFGs, which only require 36 psi, and replace those with a load "E", and carry the same load the OEM C's were designed for, you need to run higher pressures.

For some strange reason, Toyo seems to be the only manufacturer who allows the public access to this information. I have spoke with Discount Tire and it seems they do have access to various manufacturers load ratings because they subscribe. The problem is finding a tire guy who's going to bother to check this unless you ask.

This only really applies if you're changing from one load range rated tire to another compared to your vehicles OEM tire's rating.

pronstar

Reaction score

It’s easy 👍
Lookup your vehicle’s GAWR front and rear

Lookup your tire on the load inflation table.
It’ll shown the tire capacity at any given psi.
The capacity shown is per tire, so multiply by 2.

Adjust your pressure accordingly.
There no reason to run more air (giving tires more capacity) than your GAWR requires.

And if you run empty, you don’t need even that much psi unless you’re maxxing-out your GAWR

Edit: typos

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
And that’s bad because?

I run 12-14 psi on my ram 2500 in the dunes for the sand highway. Works awesome.

That’s bad because E rated tires are much stiffer than C or D rated. So there is a massive difference between 15psi on your 7,000lb truck compared to a 4,500/5,000lb Jeep.

My 4 door JK with heavy fenders and bumpers had hardly any side wall flex at 15psi.

The point of airing down is for a smoother ride off road and to gain flotation on soft surfaces (sand).
E rated is not as effective. That and they ride like shit when aired up Dailey driving as the sidewall is intended to carry a large truck with a large cargo capacity.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
S
That’s bad because E rated tires are much stiffer than C or D rated. So there is a massive difference between 15psi on your 7,000lb truck compared to a 4,500/5,000lb Jeep.

My 4 door JK with heavy fenders and bumpers had hardly any side wall flex at 15psi.

The point of airing down is for a smoother ride off road and to gain flotation on soft surfaces (sand).
E rated is not as effective. That and they ride like shit when aired up Dailey driving as the sidewall is intended to carry a large truck with a large cargo capacity.
you missed the point. I aired down and drove in as soft as it gets just fine.

pronstar

Reaction score

Yup.
We really need to tailor tires to our individual use.

A P-rated tire gives the most deformation, at the expense of overal strength and puncture resistance.

Conversely, an E gives the least deformation, but more strength and puncture resistance.

One thing to keep in mind:
An E-rated tire will deform under a half-ton.
But the deformation is front-rear due to the sidewall strength. And of course there’s deformation around the things you run over, like pointy rocks.

Lower ply ratings will give more side-side “bulging” because the sidewall is increasingly flexible as we go down from an E.

For me, puncture resistance is a priority.
I want big, heavy tires with lots of rubber and overbuilt (for my use) belts/plys.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Yup.

A P-rated tire gives the most deformation, at the expense of overal strength and puncture resistance.

Conversely, an E gives the least deformation, but more strength and puncture resistance.

But the deformation is front-rear due to the sidewall strength. And of course there’s deformation around the things you run over, like pointy rocks.

Lower ply ratings will give more side-side “bulging” because the sidewall is increasingly flexible as we go down from an E.

I want big, heavy tires with lots of rubber and overbuilt (for my use) belts/plys.
Always need to tailor to use. Weight on a jeep is huge. 85lb vs 70lb 37's for example.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Yup.

Thank god someone gets it.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I started with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos, then tried BFG KO2, then tried General Grabber AT and now I’m on Toyo AT3.

I though at the time the revos were good, I was less impressed by the BFG next, the General Grabber was better, but the Toyos really seem to do everything well.