WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Jet ski repair recommendations?

Danny C.

Reaction score
I have a 2002 SeaDoo RxDI 2 stroke that has a faulty gas gauge that needs repair. Does anyone have some jet ski repair recommendations? The dealerships don’t want to work on it.... I can do Havasu or Parker. I have a place by the Dam. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C08H18

Reaction score
I have a 2002 SeaDoo RxDI 2 stroke that has a faulty gas gauge that needs repair. Does anyone have some jet ski repair recommendations? The dealerships don’t want to work on it.... I can do Havasu or Parker. I have a place by the Dam. Thanks!

A private shop is your best best - dealership won't touch the old stuff. BTW, the tank is a bitch to take out so you may be stuck w/o the gauge. i If i recall, the problem then becomes the low fuel warning that beeps all the time.

fast99

Reaction score
How many hours are on it? The fuel Pumps fail around 100 hours. I think the sender is part of the pump, but it could also be the gauge. Really, if you want to keep it should consider a Can-Doo Pro scanner. Also allows access to the pay forum. The pumps are REAL expensive.

CANDoo Forums (candoopro.com)

D19

Reaction score
There's GroupK in Fort Mohave, AZ.

They are very well known and come highly recommended. People ship stuff to them from all over the world.

He currently has some one my engine parts (machine work).

Danny C.

Reaction score
A private shop is your best best - dealership won't touch the old stuff. BTW, the tank is a bitch to take out so you may be stuck w/o the gauge. i If i recall, the problem then becomes the low fuel warning that beeps all the time.

I would be fine to bypass the gauge if it prevented us from taking the gauge out. If there was someone that new how to wire it to do that, I’d be fine. The ski functions great, but will beep constantly.

Danny C.

Reaction score
How many hours are on it? The fuel Pumps fail around 100 hours. I think the sender is part of the pump, but it could also be the gauge. Really, if you want to keep it should consider a Can-Doo Pro scanner. Also allows access to the pay forum. The pumps are REAL expensive.

CANDoo Forums (candoopro.com)

There are 60 hours on it.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
If you can get a wiring diagram of your fuel pump/sender module, i can tell you which wires you need to tie together to trick the ski into thinking the fuel tank is full (for testing purposes)

Reaction score
Fast is right they fail often. My experience has been anywhere between 75 and 100 hours. This has been confirmed by my tech over in Seattle who does them all of the time. The really bad news is Sea Doo only sells the pump assembly. The cost is around $900.00 and it doesn't include the gauge sending unit. I think it's another 100. I've replaced all of mine and several others. After a few scars and some considerable cursing I think I have them figured out. Too bad your down there or too bad I'm up here or I would help you. The other bad news is I yet to see a bad gauge, everyone that I have worked on has been the sending unit. Not saying that it can't happen and on boats or watercraft anything is possible. Good luck! :)

Danny C.

Reaction score
Fast is right they fail often. My experience has been anywhere between 75 and 100 hours. This has been confirmed by my tech over in Seattle who does them all of the time. The really bad news is Sea Doo only sells the pump assembly. The cost is around $900.00 and it doesn't include the gauge sending unit. I think it's another 100. I've replaced all of mine and several others. After a few scars and some considerable cursing I think I have them figured out. Too bad your down there or too bad I'm up here or I would help you. The other bad news is I yet to see a bad gauge, everyone that I have worked on has been the sending unit. Not saying that it can't happen and on boats or watercraft anything is possible. Good luck! :)

Where are you?

Taboma

Reaction score
We're huge fans of Harry @ Group K in Ft Mohave, although they're normally involved with performance enhancements. https://www.groupk.com/

The one place in Havasu I've always been curious about is Tech One Racing. They got that entire back lot filled with old jet skis, some complete, some just shells, does anybody know what their deal is ?? They seem to have some kind of business model involving old 2-stroke jet skis and their sign states Sales, Service, Repair ---

Cobalt232

Reaction score
We have a 2002 RXDI as well. Bought it new and has a bit over 200 hrs. I have a love/hate relationship with it. The first fuel pump went out within the first year we had it on the first day of a Lake Powell trip. Fast forward 12ish years later and it ate a second fuel pump also on the first day of a Lake Powell trip. I ended up buying an 'aftermarket' fuel pump on eBay for cheap. It was a bit of a pain to install but works well. I forget where the sender was located.

I also still have my 2000 XPL that is still my favorite.

Reaction score
We have a 2002 RXDI as well. Bought it new and has a bit over 200 hrs. I have a love/hate relationship with it. The first fuel pump went out within the first year we had it on the first day of a Lake Powell trip. Fast forward 12ish years later and it ate a second fuel pump also on the first day of a Lake Powell trip. I ended up buying an 'aftermarket' fuel pump on eBay for cheap. It was a bit of a pain to install but works well. I forget where the sender was located.

I also still have my 2000 XPL that is still my favorite.
Yes you're right, there is also an aftermarket fuel pump only option. I think that the last one that I bought was $75. You still have to remove the pump assembly and then swap the little pump itself. I have installed both types in my watercraft as well as friends. I recently read a blog somewhere that said using the pump only solution could cause problems with the fuel pressure regulator which is part of the complete assembly. That's why I didn't give that option to Danny C. , I don't like recommending something that may bite you in the ass later. The ones that I installed are in my own personal watercraft or friends that I can help bail out if problems arise. Unfortunately, if I was in the retail market dealing with the public, I could only recommend the $900 OEM solution. Actually $1000 in Danny's case since he needs a sender too. By the way the sender is the thing with the long metal rod and float attached to it. It looks like it's part of the assembly but it comes off. Also, I'm not sure that I know what an XPL is. My son and buddy have several XP's both carbureted and DI's. They are the shorter 1 seater hot rods that turn and handle better at high speeds. The RX's are the 2 seaters a little slower and stable for fat old men like me. :)

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Yes you're right, there is also an aftermarket fuel pump only option. I think that the last one that I bought was $75. You still have to remove the pump assembly and then swap the little pump itself. I have installed both types in my watercraft as well as friends. I recently read a blog somewhere that said using the pump only solution could cause problems with the fuel pressure regulator which is part of the complete assembly. That's why I didn't give that option to Danny C. , I don't like recommending something that may bite you in the ass later. The ones that I installed are in my own personal watercraft or friends that I can help bail out if problems arise. Unfortunately, if I was in the retail market dealing with the public, I could only recommend the $900 OEM solution. Actually $1000 in Danny's case since he needs a sender too. By the way the sender is the thing with the long metal rod and float attached to it. It looks like it's part of the assembly but it comes off. Also, I'm not sure that I know what an XPL is. My son and buddy have several XP's both carbureted and DI's. They are the shorter 1 seater hot rods that turn and handle better at high speeds. The RX's are the 2 seaters a little slower and stable for fat old men like me. :)
I think the XP and XPL are the same, the L was just for Limited. Mine is carburated. I had the carbs rebuilt by Watercraft Magic in Glendora a few years ago and its just like new still. I'm 200lbs and it is still a blast although boarding in the water is tough.

Reaction score
I think the XP and XPL are the same, the L was just for Limited. Mine is carbureted. I had the carbs rebuilt by Watercraft Magic in Glendora a few years ago and its just like new still. I'm 200lbs and it is still a blast although boarding in the water is tough.
That's the one Cobalt, we have two, a carbureted 2000 and a 2003 DI. I think my buddy is down to 3, two with carbs and a DI. You're right on with the wet boarding, the other issue is when sitting still and not paying attention a large wave will have you swimming and trying to board it in the water. That's the upside of the RXDI's for us hefty old folks. Much more stable and easier to board. We are planning on selling the carbureted XP and 2002 RXDI in the spring. Kind of a matched set, both yellow and black on a two place trailer. :)

Taboma

Reaction score
Ever asked them what's up with all the old skis stacking up out back ??

I didn't know if there were parting those skis out, or using parts from many to rebuild and sell restored old school 2-strokes. They've sure got a grip of ski bodies stacked up out there as well.
Stopped by there one afternoon, walked around, stood around, shouted "Hello" and could have loaded up my truck and drove off, not a soul did I find.

77charger

Reaction score
Ever asked them what's up with all the old skis stacking up out back ??
I’m into the 550s and some parts get hard to get so price goes up. My bet they are kept tim all useable parts are sold then scrapped

Taboma

Reaction score
I’m into the 550s and some parts get hard to get so price goes up. My bet they are kept tim all useable parts are sold then scrapped

I'm just going to have to stop and inquire some day. Wife and I both run late 90's and early 2000's Yam and Kaw so having a source for older parts would be awesome.

77charger

Reaction score
I'm just going to have to stop and inquire some day. Wife and I both run late 90's and early 2000's Yam and Kaw so having a source for older parts would be awesome.
I’m on a couple jet ski pages on FB it’s easy way to find parts if needed. I’d ditch FB if it weren’t for the hobby pages I’m on though.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
That's the one Cobalt, we have two, a carbureted 2000 and a 2003 DI. I think my buddy is down to 3, two with carbs and a DI. You're right on with the wet boarding, the other issue is when sitting still and not paying attention a large wave will have you swimming and trying to board it in the water. That's the upside of the RXDI's for us hefty old folks. Much more stable and easier to board. We are planning on selling the carbureted XP and 2002 RXDI in the spring. Kind of a matched set, both yellow and black on a two place trailer. :)
We must have almost identical setups for SeaDoos.
2020-01-18 16.43.29.jpg

DanG

Reaction score
I would take it to Lillian at Tech One in Havasu. He should be able to get you taken care of.

Taboma

Reaction score
I would take it to Lillian at Tech One in Havasu. He should be able to get you taken care of.

Oh Ok, so this is Lillian's operation. Good to know 👍

Reaction score
We must have almost identical setups for SeaDoos. View attachment 963056
Yup, that looks like the two that I'm going to sell. Although, my trailer isn't as nice. I bought it used and the previous owner put some butt ugly fenders on it, he had visions of running bigger wheels and tires. We have 4 others all DI's except a 2000 GTX carbureted. We call it the Sea couch. Nice riding and it will still do an honest 55. One boat and two watercraft is more than enough to take care of. You have a really like looking setup and are way too organized! :)