WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Job offer

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Just got an early morning phone call.... I re-retired in March after 51 years of fire, hazmat and admin stuff. Small town about 15 miles from here asked me to come in as a "part time" admin, incident IC for the summer on wildland fires. Hard to say no and hard to say yes.......I need a fishing trip to think about it.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Just got an early morning phone call.... I re-retired in March after 51 years of fire, hazmat and admin stuff. Small town about 15 miles from here asked me to come in as a "part time" admin, incident IC for the summer on wildland fires. Hard to say no and hard to say yes.......I need a fishing trip to think about it.
Too bad you didn't have a little more time in retirement, it might make the decision easier. Good luck which ever way you go.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
I hope you aren't over FRA, but if you are, you can double dip on SS as well as unlimited income

WYRD

Reaction score
This is easy to figure out.

Need money? Take job

Don’t need money? Ask for a very large salary and if they take it great. If not continue on enjoying retirement.
Not so easy way I see it he sounds like he loved what he did. So it may be less about money and more about enjoyment.

Good luck Gramps just remember you hold all the cards in this game.

Wedgy

Reaction score
It really is nice to have your own time. You soon will ask how you ever had the time to work. Godspeed, Good luck Gramps!

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Whatever you have to do, fills the time you have to do it in.
I've seen folks in their 80's still working part time and it sure wasn't for the money.

Reactions: DWC

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Took me a long time to figure out that my Dad LOVES to work, and that's really what makes him tick, and it's a good thing.
He retired a 'few' times before he truly settled down.
He does like to play and have fun, but even in his retirement and turning 90 next month, he looks forward to small jobs and projects around his house and his rental property.
If you love what you do, I feel you've REALLY won in the game of life.
Me on the other hand, I chose the worst SHITTY GOD-FORESAKEN career-path and have always said that if I ever won the lottery, not only would I GIVE all my tools away, I'd PAY someone to come and TAKE THEM !
Best of luck in your decision, that's a good problem to have Sir !

X Hoser

Reaction score
Incident IC on fires in California Part Time???? I retired completely last month myself. 40 years total. I have part time offers on the table also. Fortunately not until November so Ihave time to think about it. My family, especially the wife, has already given me up for 40 years so not sure it’ll work out. It would not be for the money, but because I enjoy it! I get where you are at

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Whatever makes yah happy. Staying busy will keep yah moving, and keeping moving will keep yah alive.

After 51 years, I’d be done with work and spending time on my hobbies.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
A good friend of mine retired from the Culver City Fire Dept. He moved up to Northern CA (Winters CA) to be near his Dad, well the local Fire Dept up there got ahold of him and hired him to do all sorts of things for them. He's really good at networking and gathering equipment from all over the country to supply the local stations and maintaining vehicles. I'm not sure what his compensation is. But he really enjoys it and it doesn't take up all of his time. It really depends on how good you are at being retired.

Reactions: DWC

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Not so easy way I see it he sounds like he loved what he did. So it may be less about money and more about enjoyment.

Good luck Gramps just remember you hold all the cards in this game.
Then why retire in the first place?

In my industry, the old guys retire then get job offers that pay a ton then they come back and work into their 70’s. Then retire again and die in a few years with a bunch of money in the bank.

I’m retiring as soon as I can afford it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@Gramps , first off, congratulations on the official retirement!
I know you had a lot of irons in the fire the past few years. I've also seen some pics you've posted of your stomping grounds. Follow your heart on the next steps. It would be hard to motivate me to leave my property if it was like the area you're in. On the other hand, some places are still like that because people like you watchover them. Do what you think is best for your household, the rest will fall into place.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Where ? We need to do a steak one night when im home , pine house is open ? Maybe some stg fans want to meet up ?

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Then why retire in the first place?

In my industry, the old guys retire then get job offers that pay a ton then they come back and work into their 70’s. Then retire again and die in a few years with a bunch of money in the bank.

I’m retiring as soon as I can afford it.
What industry are you in.?

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna say NO...........but I will give advise and answer questions especially for the younger guys...I spent a good part of the day teaching a younger guy how the certification system works on line. Stuff like that helps, I believe, in the long run, gives them more time for hands on stuff.

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I'm gonna say NO...........but I will give advise and answer questions especially for the younger guys...I spent a good part of the day teaching a younger guy how the certification system works on line. Stuff like that helps, I believe, in the long run, gives them more time for hands on stuff.
Pass down the knowledge I like it. I had an old timer mentor me. His famous quote,” Try again Dick Head”

DWC

Reaction score
Watched my dad work himself into the ground at 52, watched my step dad do it at 57. There’s more to life than work...those two are much of why I live the way I do...and I’m not going to be a repeat of it.
My father in-law and step-father did the same. Retired for a couple of years and then health problems got them both pretty quick. My dad is still going strong doing drywall/painting in his mud-70’s. Talked to him a little while ago and he was saying how he was saving all the money by never doing anything/going anywhere. Told him to spend every cent and leave debt behind.