WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Johnnies Pastrami

caribbean20

Reaction score
For the enthusiastic eaters in the crowd. Did the bi-annual pilgrimage to Johnnies today to meet some Mattel colleagues for lunch. The place did not disappoint.

Same staff, same quality. Always a pleasure.
37B37141-BB46-4A7F-B354-E0997A95E344.jpeg

DWC

Reaction score
That place is awesome. Parking sucks. Food is great. Whenever my boss comes out from Atl that and The Hat (Alhambra) are his top requests.

caribbean20

Reaction score
Johnnies is bomb! But I also like the Hat, more of a "gut bomb" but still good....
OK, The Hat now on my list of LA dives to visit. Also have Phillipes on the list, never been there, home of the French Dip.
Mattel colleagues as in Hot Wheels? Do tell more
Yes, Mattel as in Hot Wheels. One of the guys at lunch today used to run our design center on Mariposa. It is a football field sized building that is a Santa’s workshop. Cool stuff everywhere including stuff to give inspiration to our designers like real full sized vehicles such as the Batmobile, hot rods with 2 Hemis in a train, Hot Wheel tracks descending from the ceiling, etc.

Also spent many days in our Hot Wheels plants in Penang, Malaysia and Bangkok.

And of course, the Barbie girls. Best job ever.

wzuber

Reaction score
OK, The Hat now on my list of LA dives to visit. Also have Phillipes on the list, never been there, home of the French Dip.

Yes, Mattel as in Hot Wheels. One of the guys at lunch today used to run our design center on Mariposa. It is a football field sized building that is a Santa’s workshop. Cool stuff everywhere including stuff to give inspiration to our designers like real full sized vehicles such as the Batmobile, hot rods with 2 Hemis in a train, Hot Wheel tracks descending from the ceiling, etc.

Do they also have real life barbie girls hangin around? For...you know.....
Insertion.....
I mean INspiration?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Busy Bees still good? Haven’t been in years but use to great! Meatball sandwich was legit.
Yeah. Best sandwiches around. But like everything pricey. Not as big as they used to be. I think $15or16 a sandwich .
I had jersey Mike's in Pedro last week. Large sandwich and soda $22.

Bonellos pizza in Pedro makes a bomb torpedo. But a little on the small side. Best price sandwiches are still Jack's pizza by South high. New York Deli are my favorite sandwiches in southbay.

New spot my Friend opened Rieras deli on PCH makes a good sandwich also.

timstoy

Reaction score
Been working on my Sisters house in LB. John's on spring st is the best spot around. Burger combo on sourdough and a side order of onion rings. Bomb country fried breakfast with home fries also.
John’s is our go too especially when everyone wants something different! Great breakfast and the meatloaf and beef stew are great but only served on certain days.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I’ve always loved Phillipe’s. It’s sort of a family tradition. My grandparents’ first date was at Phillipe’s and then seeing a boxing match at the Olympic auditorium.

I do agree the atmosphere is bigger than the meal but it’s OG deli style. Like the tradition of the hostess not touching your money and instead putting your money on the tray and then he/she takes the money. The place has a lot of old school traditions. The pickled eggs is another. How about the saw dust floors?

When I was a kid we stopped in and Tommy Lasorda was sitting near the door. I love it for its history and the claim to fame that it’s home to the original double dip.

You gotta love places like that in an age where there’s zero character to any of these new establishments. You’ll still find people reading a newspaper of all things at Phillipe’s.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
There's a Johnny's on west adams west of arlington. Great Pastrami and fries.
Been to both. Can't compare because to much time between visits.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Two other good sandwich places.

Saverino’s in Redlands and Bay Cities in Santa Monica.

I’ll have to try johnnies I’ve never heard of it. Philippe’s is ok. I like the Hat better.

If you really want a good pastrami, Saverinos in Redlands.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Worked out of piper tech. Had USA Digalert crews city wide as well as my two signal labs. I could travel all over the city. Ate at many great places.

4Waters

Reaction score
Worked out of piper tech. Had USA Digalert crews city wide as well as my two signal labs. I could travel all over the city. Ate at many great places.
I was down at piper tech a few week ago picking up some stuff

Melloyellovector

Reaction score

I’ll have to try johnnies I’ve never heard of it. Philippe’s is ok. I like the Hat better.

Saverinos doesn’t have a bad sandwich. Meatball is my fav there, wish they were open past 3. Pass by all the time coming back from Palm Springs, always to late

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Canter's Deli on Fairfax and Brent's Deli in Northridge have my favorite pastrami sandwiches!!

If you like Brent's and find yourself farther north in Santa Barbara, look up 3 Pickles. You will not be disappointed! They also have a store in Goleta if you get further up to the college or airport.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Was my go to place when I lived in Redlands!

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Saverinos doesn’t have a bad sandwich. Meatball is my fav there, wish they were open past 3. Pass by all the time coming back from Palm Springs, always to late
Yeah they used to be open long enough to hit them up for an early dinner but these days it’s only 10-3 M-Sat. Which means my only shot these days is on Saturday, which sucks as I could rotate through their sandwiches every day and not tire of the variety.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Trailer parking at Saverinos ?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Mona Lisa deli in little Italy San Diego is bomb. Some one on here turned me on to it.

And if you are headed to the river TKB makes a great sandwich.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
On Sepulveda in Carson? As often as possible. Wet asada burrito with green sauce and a pint of salsa for the road.
Been to Domenicks Pizza around the corner from there?

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Mona Lisa deli in little Italy San Diego is bomb. Some one on here turned me on to it.

And if you are headed to the river TKB makes a great sandwich.
Been going to Mona Lisa’s since I was a baby! That was my grandpas lunch spot when he worked at general dynamics way back in the day!!

My neighbor when I lived in San Diego was from Sicily and that was the only palace he’d eat sandwich’s and pizza that he didn’t make at home!

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
+1 for Langers . . . across from MacArthur Park.
Funny story . . . MANY years ago I went there . . . heard you could get a fake ID very easily right nearby . . . . walked down the street & heard 'PSSSSTTT ID'????
Next thing I know I'm in a room getting my picture taken . . . a few minutes later and a dude walks up and hands me my new ID !!! 😆🤣 Looked perfect !
Shit . . . that had to have been around 1988-89 !!!

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score

Do you know Jeanette Sanchez? She woked in all those places for Mattel

NicPaus

Reaction score
You guys really like Diana's. I'm sorry I've never got anything good from there. They use to order it at work and we had to tell them no more. There is a much better green wet asada burrito across from Santa Fe Imports. Taqueria la mexicana
Is that close by your house. Sister is not to far from you by Los coyotes and spring. I will hit it next time I am there.