WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Johnson RV Family Vacation number 2!!

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Must be good people RC Cola & Jet in pics.
88D05C67-CACD-43EA-85D8-8E66DC137F1E.jpeg
23268E97-8EF4-44C0-83ED-E7D72D2661DD.jpeg

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… Glad you got to spend time in and around Mammoth… Imagine that town before it became over built and it being just passed the hippie era…seems like the good hippies ended up in Mammoth …many later become very successful professionals… I lived there from 70 to 74… And off and on during the early 80s…

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
What? HP is calculated off an equation who's inputs are RPM AND Torque. For example 800ft lbs at 1,500RPM vs 800 ft lbs at 2,100 are a huge difference. One is 230hp, the other is 320hp. So HP is actually a very useful number as far as power rating goes in a Diesel. Because just having a torque number without the associated RPM is somewhat meaningless.

The transmission is responsible for making the HP useful.

Since Most coach size diesels develop their peak torque at similar RPMs and have similar redlines, HP is a valid comparison. HP is the ability to actually do work over time. Torque is only an instantaneous power measurement. They each have their usefulness in understand different engine properties.

Instantaneous? I'm gonna say torque is pretty much constant at any given RPM.

If we assume that every coach diesel engine is measured at pretty much the same RPM? Then the HP number might make Some sense. 👍🏼

Ill be the first one to admit I don't know shit about those engines, so I'll take your word for it that's what they do. It really does make perfect sense.

From my point of view, I'd rather see the torque number. Since it's Not based on a calculation, I know what that number means, regardless of RPM.

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
… Glad you got to spend time in and around Mammoth… Imagine that town before it became over built and it being just passed the hippie era…seems like the good hippies ended up in Mammoth …many later become very successful professionals… I lived there from 70 to 74… And off and on during the early 80s…
It was one of the stops I wanted to make. I hadn’t been there in over 20 years. My Dad grew up camping at Lake George with his family in the 50’s and 60’s. Then when I was little we went at least once a year but usually more. Always tent camping at George and hiking up to Crystal Lake to have lunch on our favorite rock. My Dad even had a claim up there for a while. I wanted to share the beauty with my kids and Dave. It’s way more crowded than I ever remember but the lakes are just as pretty. I’m going to try and dig up some photos of our trips back in the 80’s. I’ll share them if I find them.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Instantaneous? I'm gonna say torque is pretty much constant at any given RPM.

Definitely not. It changes throughout the RPM range unless we are talking about electric motors which are much more constant.

Torque by definition is an instantaneous measurement, not a measurement taken over time. It's a static measurement. HP is the ability to put torque to work over a given amount of time.

Put it like this, if we are talking about lifting weights, Torque is how heavy the weight you are lifting, HP is how many times you can lift it in a minute. If you have 2 people deadlifting 200lbs, but one guy can only do it 10 times a minute, and the other can do it 20 times a minute, they both produce the same torque, but guy #2 can perform twice the work, so twice the hp. Hope that makes sense.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Awesome thread, it was like we were all there with you, thanks Dave!!

My only question is, all those beautiful lakes/creeks/streams, and I didn't see one fishing pole....not your thing??

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Definitely not. It changes throughout the RPM range unless we are talking about electric motors which are much more constant.

Torque by definition is an instantaneous measurement, not a measurement taken over time. It's a static measurement. HP is the ability to put torque to work over a given amount of time.

Put it like this, if we are talking about lifting weights, Torque is how heavy the weight you are lifting, HP is how many times you can lift it in a minute. If you have 2 people deadlifting 200lbs, but one guy can only do it 10 times a minute, and the other can do it 20 times a minute, they both produce the same torque, but guy #2 can perform twice the work, so twice the hp. Hope that makes sense.

I basically worded that wrong, to get the point I was trying to make across. 🙄

I know how torque vs. rpm works from watching Mike Dyno engines at JMS for years and then dissecting the Dyno sheets with him.

Thanks though!

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your vacation with us. Really enjoyed your photos. Mammoth to Havasu in one day in a MH with a toad, makes for one full f’n day’s run. Can’t even imagine your frustration when they began f’n with your RDP site while you were gone. Looks like all’s back and running strong.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Awesome thread, it was like we were all there with you, thanks Dave!!

My only question is, all those beautiful lakes/creeks/streams, and I didn't see one fishing pole....not your thing??

Never really been into fishing.. Stacy wants to get the kids into it though.

If they like it maybe I’ll get a flats boat for them.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your vacation with us. Really enjoyed your photos. Mammoth to Havasu in one day in a MH with a toad, makes for one full f’n day’s run. Can’t even imagine your frustration when they began f’n with your RDP site while you were gone. Looks like all’s back and running strong.

Yeah that last day was a long one for sure.. lol.

I drove back though because if this shit wasn’t fixed my next step was to hop a flight to New York and walk into the hosting company to talk to some people in person about “expectations.”

For right now I’m just trying to get us onto new servers and away from these guys.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Never really been into fishing.. Stacy wants to get the kids into it though.

If they like it maybe I’ll get a flats boat for them.

We are a casual fishing family, not tournament bass fishermen, but put it this way, every boat I have had always has a fishing pole in it....I have pulled fat channel cats out of the channel on holiday weekends right in the middle of the shit show...

That being said, my 11yo has a friend that has always said fishing was boring and didn't understand why we did it, we took him out one day and got him hooked up on a nice bass and now that's all that kid wants to do is fish, I think he even fishes more then us now.

nexthai6

Reaction score
I had a buddy flat tow his Jeep to Moab. Broke Jeep on the trail, limped Jeep to pavement then spent over $7500 (purchased trailer in Moab) to get Jeep back to SD. He has never flat towed his Jeep again, always on the new trailer he purchased :). He flat tows his SUV when needed since that never sees dirt.

hellodear.in

teatv.ltd

Last edited:

fmo24

Reaction score
I had a buddy flat tow his Jeep to Moab. Broke Jeep on the trail, limped Jeep to pavement then spent over $7500 (purchased trailer in Moab) to get Jeep back to SD. He has never flat towed his Jeep again, always on the new trailer he purchased :). He flat tows his SUV when needed since that never sees dirt.
Ya if you’re doing hard core off roading I would definitely trailer. Plus tires are expensive lol.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Never been big on Mammoth. Always seemed like a shopping mall in the mountains to me. Always preferred June Lake. But, the entire area is God’s Country. Particularly interesting was the Uranium period of the late 50s. It was like the Wild West in some places. There is Uranium around there. But, I don’t know if there was enough to mine. In all our visits to the area, we’ve never been to Manzanar. I did know 2 guys who were interned there. They said they made the best of it. After the war, each of them owned successful businesses. I could easily spend an entire month at various spots between Lone Pine and Lee Vining. Glad you got to see some of it.