WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Joint Health Supplements… Do they work?

SS-C

Reaction score
I just got these to try out; any of you tried them, or something similar?

Joint Health.jpg

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
My experience.... Placebo .... Glucosamine been around for many many years in over the counter supplement biz. But its still produced and sold. Its cheap, give it a couple bottle 2 mth trial.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
glucosamine chondroitin msm was all the talk few years back... I tried it for years just like I'd take a daily multi vitamin. Can't say I ever experienced any joint relief... maybe I'm just a lost cause. Yoga worked

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I have heard ads for a decade on talk radio for Relief Factor and their 3 Week Quick Start program. A capsule with 4 different anti-inflammatories in it. After 3 weeks, taking as directed I noticed no difference in the pain of an old knee. I had a knee that was acting up suddenly and turned out to be slightly torn miniscus (sp). It has actually gotten better on its own.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Tried several different supplements to no avail. Meloxicam works for me.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Glucosamine Chondroitin (Costco) works for me - it's the only supplement that I actually notice a difference. It seems to take about a week or so to have an effect. It will or should/could reduce pain in your knees, etc.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
So... Slightly different... Open heart surgery 3 years ago. Since then, I've been taking fish oil supplement. I've had bad knees since high school. I think it helps my knees. No scientific research. Just my knees.

Edit:
Still water ski.

Dan'l

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've had good luck with MSM, one pretty big dose a week...straight nasty stuff mixed with water. Helps my shoulders and hands, not a damn thing for my neck or back though. All the above are pretty messed up from either trauma or stupidity...or both. Hands have been ID'ed as actual arthitis though.

I think there is no one miracle cure. What works for one person, may not for another. Maybe it's the cause of pain, or the actual body chemistry. If you take it and it seems to help, stick with it. If you try it and it doesn't, try something else.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I've never had any supplement work for me.
Even tried an $85 bottle of CBD. Waste of money.
CBD seems like mood rings, just a fad. is it me or you just don't hear about them anymore; the numerous commercials and such.

SS-C

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess when joints wear out we are pretty much screwed.
I'll give it a good try and see what happens.
Any relief is better than none at all.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
save your $$$ to pay the surgeon...........I've had 12 major knee surgeries and 2 shoulders, experience speaks volumes

racetrash

Reaction score
Artridol or Ardosons from mexico for my knees and ankles. Nasty stuff but it makes me pain free.

SS-C

Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you, but this hot ass weather definitely helps my bad joints feel more lubricated. Of course, so do the beers!

lebel409

Reaction score
In my late thirties my back got bent up...pulling a couple of dozen 20' oleanders...and I started taking Glucosomine and Chondritin. For a week or so nothing, then I noticed that it seemed "tighter", the way Bar's stop leak is supposed to work. I felt better, the bottle ran out and I forgot about it. Then I started noticing that my joints felt "loose", back, knees, shoulders, so I started taking it again... much better. I don't have any serious injuries, just wear and age (60), but it seems to help.

Andy B.

Reaction score
I've had good luck with MSM, one pretty big dose a week...straight nasty stuff mixed with water. Helps my shoulders and hands, not a damn thing for my neck or back though. All the above are pretty messed up from either trauma or stupidity...or both. Hands have been ID'ed as actual arthitis though.

I think there is no one miracle cure. What works for one person, may not for another. Maybe it's the cause of pain, or the actual body chemistry. If you take it and it seems to help, stick with it. If you try it and it doesn't, try something else.

Try bromelain for your back it works for my buddy chronic back pain and I take it for my shoulder if you do take more than recommended I do 2000 GDU it recommends 1000 a day. My buddy take 8000 a day and he swears by it his back is jacked though he found this is the only thing that works for him all day.

Trim it up

Reaction score
I went to an orthopedic sports doctor a year ago for a small tear in my tricep at my elbow and I asked him if any of this shit works. He said no. I’ve done too much weightlifting and my elbows hurt. If you do buy a supp, make sure it has hyaloric acid in it. Supposed to lubricate the joints and a product from GAT made me feel better

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I went to an orthopedic sports doctor a year ago for a small tear in my tricep at my elbow and I asked him if any of this shit works. He said no. I’ve done too much weightlifting and my elbows hurt. If you do buy a supp, make sure it has hyaloric acid in it. Supposed to lubricate the joints and a product from GAT made me feel better
My orthopedic and my neurosurgeon both said I shouldn't walk again. After that, they said I should try to find a desk job...I sent them both a letter with a pic, me on a roof, roll of single ply pvc on my shoulder. It was one year after they told me those things. I wanted them to see two things, they did really good work, and people are different. They both responded with shock, but very pleased. No one person knows everything, and no two people are the same.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Been taking Astaxanthin for a couple of years and do notice the difference in my knees. It’s at Costco as Bioastin.

retaocleg

Reaction score
it didn't work for me......
but kratom does, specifically red vein

oldschool

Reaction score
Read Dr. John Sarno’s book “The Mind Body Prescription” and get in cold water as often as you can. During the summer it’s cold showers and winter is cold dunks in the pool. The mind can be a powerful thing, it can be crippling or healing.

wzuber

Reaction score
I've tried those various condroitin products when I was in my late 20's, early 30's. (I'm 57 yrs.) when they first came for my misc. aches and pains from sports injuries and scoliosis of my spine etc. I never found much relief in them. Like many peeps, I didn't research which ones were the best quality I just took whatever I found when I was looking so that likely played a significant role in their effectiveness. I am a working contractor that has busted ass all my life. It's one of my few redeeming qualities. lol
I have had Rheumatoid Artritis for the last 18 yrs. so I'm on a lot of stuff currently as a result. Currently A very high quality CBD oil (non-thc type)
Enbrel, Prednisone and Naproxin. The single biggest contributor to my daily pain from the R.A. was from drinking beer daily. It took me 15 yrs to figure that out. I was hell bent to keep a drinkin cuz.......ya know.....beer is guuuuuuud. lol and a good beer buzzzzzzz... sooo. much. better. right? Damm I miss that shit. o_O😍 ....copius Tec-ahhhhh.. te's and strong IPA'S were the best. 😍😍🤣 At one point several years ago I new I needed to stop because I new I was dramatically exacerbating my pain from the inflammation of R.A. but I wasn't ready to stop yet and continued on consciously hurting from the delicious combo. The more I hurt the more I drank and the more angry and depressed I became, the more I hurt (emotionally) the more I drank, and drank, and......lost respect for myself because I was now, simi-consciously, choosing to hurt myself. (denial really is a BITCH....kinna vicious cycle if ya know what mean. haha) Losing my retirement, the bulk of my const. business through the 2008 recession etc. and low quality daily choices only added to that loss of self respect. My Business, accumulations, property/retirement "was" who/what I was and the only thing that gave me value in my mind. I GAVE up more than "stuff".
But I wasn't ready to give in yet.
Then one day I decided ENOUGH....and finally chose quit. The pain and constant state of physical and emotional pain had finally brought to my knees and I couldn't take it any more, I was done feeling like shit and being an angry asshole as a result. Some here may have noticed I'm still a bit of an azzhole sometimes but I'm not as angry and disrespectful in the manner with which I share my "Giftofazzholeness". I was pleasantly surprised at how well I did with it, the not drinking thing, because at one point back there I didn't think I could, and at that time I was right and "who doesn't like to be right!" right? LOL Occasionally I would have a beer or two and was quickly reminded of why I quit....the pain. Nowadays I can feel the inflammation and resulting pain in my thighs initially/specifically, within the first half of a beer. (Sometimes that can be the first "sip") That does however help to prevent me from having the second or 30pak. Pain will make you do some cra-cra stuff, like quit drinking. haha... Seriously....who does that?......and likes it? I guess there's no shortage of cra-cra still goin on here? lol Actually, next to marring my amazing and exceedingly patient, compasionate and maybe too tolerant wife, it's the second best decision I have ever made.
Anyway, no need for me to carry on here with my "self aggrandizing" diatribe of minutia. 🙁 The horrible point to my so "eloquently" put story here is, as much as I hate to have to say it, alcohol consumption contributes significantly to our daily pains in whole, largely or in part depending upon how we participate, to what level. I'm sorry to have to put that out there like that, I really am. My choice to...choose something else other than more and more pain has been the best choice for me and life. Now if I can just figure out how to effectively and healthily deal with the rest of life's pains all will be right in the world again. haha
A several people here on the RDP forum have shared their life's journey, struggles etc. and have influenced me to do better, be better etc. and I appreciate that about this forum community. A couple of those people are bhc Vic, Monkeys Wrench and even Grads. (right after he came back from a vacation and hadn't started into a new pfishing expedition, lol)
Give it a try and see for yourself how much alcohol contributes to the level of daily pain for you. Some do better than others with it. You may be surprised (pleasantly) at how much better you feel as a result. It will at least save you some $$$ so in the event you decide after your trial period.......fuck that........I need a or 30 damn beers you will have a nice little pile of cash to buy your favorite pain killer. lol
I hope this book I wrote here(to a simple question of "does condroitin type supp. work" of all things) in some way, some day, when whomever is ready not feel that pain again will help them to make that choice.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Can't add to wzuber much but life choices make the biggest difference.
Me- I force myself to hydrate. Eat pineapple and grapes when I can. Take CBD. Stay away from refined foods especially pasta/ white foods.

SS-C

Reaction score
I've tried those various condroitin products when I was in my late 20's, early 30's. (I'm 57 yrs.) when they first came for my misc. aches and pains from sports injuries and scoliosis of my spine etc. I never found much relief in them. Like many peeps, I didn't research which ones were the best quality I just took whatever I found when I was looking so that likely played a significant role in their effectiveness. I am a working contractor that has busted ass all my life. It's one of my few redeeming qualities. lol
I have had Rheumatoid Artritis for the last 18 yrs. so I'm on a lot of stuff currently as a result. Currently A very high quality CBD oil (non-thc type)
Enbrel, Prednisone and Naproxin. The single biggest contributor to my daily pain from the R.A. was from drinking beer daily. It took me 15 yrs to figure that out. I was hell bent to keep a drinkin cuz.......ya know.....beer is guuuuuuud. lol and a good beer buzzzzzzz... sooo. much. better. right? Damm I miss that shit. o_O😍 ....copius Tec-ahhhhh.. te's and strong IPA'S were the best. 😍😍🤣 At one point several years ago I new I needed to stop because I new I was dramatically exacerbating my pain from the inflammation of R.A. but I wasn't ready to stop yet and continued on consciously hurting from the delicious combo. The more I hurt the more I drank and the more angry and depressed I became, the more I hurt (emotionally) the more I drank, and drank, and......lost respect for myself because I was now, simi-consciously, choosing to hurt myself. (denial really is a BITCH....kinna vicious cycle if ya know what mean. haha) Losing my retirement, the bulk of my const. business through the 2008 recession etc. and low quality daily choices only added to that loss of self respect. My Business, accumulations, property/retirement "was" who/what I was and the only thing that gave me value in my mind. I GAVE up more than "stuff".
But I wasn't ready to give in yet.
Then one day I decided ENOUGH....and finally chose quit. The pain and constant state of physical and emotional pain had finally brought to my knees and I couldn't take it any more, I was done feeling like shit and being an angry asshole as a result. Some here may have noticed I'm still a bit of an azzhole sometimes but I'm not as angry and disrespectful in the manner with which I share my "Giftofazzholeness". I was pleasantly surprised at how well I did with it, the not drinking thing, because at one point back there I didn't think I could, and at that time I was right and "who doesn't like to be right!" right? LOL Occasionally I would have a beer or two and was quickly reminded of why I quit....the pain. Nowadays I can feel the inflammation and resulting pain in my thighs initially/specifically, within the first half of a beer. (Sometimes that can be the first "sip") That does however help to prevent me from having the second or 30pak. Pain will make you do some cra-cra stuff, like quit drinking. haha... Seriously....who does that?......and likes it? I guess there's no shortage of cra-cra still goin on here? lol Actually, next to marring my amazing and exceedingly patient, compasionate and maybe too tolerant wife, it's the second best decision I have ever made.
Anyway, no need for me to carry on here with my "self aggrandizing" diatribe of minutia. 🙁 The horrible point to my so "eloquently" put story here is, as much as I hate to have to say it, alcohol consumption contributes significantly to our daily pains in whole, largely or in part depending upon how we participate, to what level. I'm sorry to have to put that out there like that, I really am. My choice to...choose something else other than more and more pain has been the best choice for me and life. Now if I can just figure out how to effectively and healthily deal with the rest of life's pains all will be right in the world again. haha
A several people here on the RDP forum have shared their life's journey, struggles etc. and have influenced me to do better, be better etc. and I appreciate that about this forum community. A couple of those people are bhc Vic, Monkeys Wrench and even Grads. (right after he came back from a vacation and hadn't started into a new pfishing expedition, lol)
Give it a try and see for yourself how much alcohol contributes to the level of daily pain for you. Some do better than others with it. You may be surprised (pleasantly) at how much better you feel as a result. It will at least save you some $$$ so in the event you decide after your trial period.......fuck that........I need a or 30 damn beers you will have a nice little pile of cash to buy your favorite pain killer. lol
I hope this book I wrote here(to a simple question of "does condroitin type supp. work" of all things) in some way, some day, when whomever is ready not feel that pain again will help them to make that choice.
Wow, very much appreciate you sharing your story, thank you.
I'm happy to hear you found some relief, man, what a tradeoff.
I hear you when you say pain can make a man do some crazy things, so very true!
You have a good woman by your side, take care of her and continue your quest for safe pain relief.
I'm rooting for you, good luck my friend!

wzuber

Reaction score
Wow, very much appreciate you sharing your story, thank you.
I'm happy to hear you found some relief, man, what a tradeoff.
I hear you when you say pain can make a man do some crazy things, so very true!
You have a good woman by your side, take care of her and continue your quest for safe pain relief.
I'm rooting for you, good luck my friend!
Wow....thanks, I truely appreciate that. She is a saint and I will do my best for her too.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
It worked pretty good for me as well and I used to take them every day until I learned about the negative effects of prolonged use. Might want to look into it if you take them a lot.
I have regular blood tests and have had no issues to this point, been taking it for quite a few years, but then again I’m no picture of health. 😂

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Not directed at anyone .... but there's one guaranteed way for the vast majority of people with joint pain to get some relief.

Loose some weight.
It's hard......but it works.

MSum661

Reaction score
Try an Inversion Table. Amazing results and great for your body is several other ways.
Amazon has a good assortment at good prices.
I swear by it and if your not into using any type of pain killers this could be the right deal for you.
Start out slow for about a week or two until you get use to hanging at the different degrees of angle then eventually set it at 60 degrees and then at 90 degrees. It works.