WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Jr Drag Boat Racing League

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
h6opFy.jpg

Andy01

Reaction score
Oh this is cool. I may just have to get my girls into something like this. They are to young now, but I'd be down for a mini boat for them.

Brian

Reaction score
That red one looks serious.

Twisted Liquid Marine

Reaction score
This is for kids age 10-16. The exhibition boats will be running 30HP outboards and we expect speeds around 40 MPH. The draft rules have three different divisions, based on age and index. 55MPH will be about the max on these, running 660'.

Hydros will be available for the 2016 season.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There's a builder who has made 12' hydro's here in Nor-Cal. :D

What's the e.t. and speed limits?

I remember seeing those.. And they are BAD ASS!!

This is for kids age 10-16. The exhibition boats will be running 30HP outboards and we expect speeds around 40 MPH. The draft rules have three different divisions, based on age and index. 55MPH will be about the max on these, running 660'.

Hydros will be available for the 2016 season.

That's too cool Geoff. Glad to see you are teaming up with Lucas! I hope the program works out well!

RD

Blubyu

Reaction score
Who's going to have the first Schiada 10'r to spank them? :D

dread Pirate

Reaction score
I have always wanted to build one of the 12' hydro's with a big turbo VW motor. :D

dread Pirate

Reaction score
None of these dates conflict with our NHRA Jr Drag Racing schedule. If someone wants to put a kid that knows how to cut a light in a boat I have 3 that are old enough. :D

Twisted Liquid Marine

Reaction score
Do you think a VW motor will fit in the hydro?

V-drive VW powered mini hydro! :skull

Eh....maybe. Here's the problem, might be a hard sell to the insurance folks on this deal. Was difficult enough getting them to go with the program as it is.

I see you're running NHRA Jr. Dragsters - this is going to be very similar when it comes to rules. 660' index, but we will also be watching 330' speed and times. Too quick or too fast and you're weekend is over. Safety first!

Asphalt/dirt racing for kids is a much easier sell. Here's my son at age 5 (he's 18 now). The kids can definitely run these boats. It's the grown up insurance guys that worry me. :cool

DSC00014.JPG

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Eh....maybe. Here's the problem, might be a hard sell to the insurance folks on this deal. Was difficult enough getting them to go with the program as it is.

I see you're running NHRA Jr. Dragsters - this is going to be very similar when it comes to rules. 660' index, but we will also be watching 330' speed and times. Too quick or too fast and you're weekend is over. Safety first!

Asphalt/dirt racing for kids is a much easier sell. Here's my son at age 5 (he's 18 now). The kids can definitely run these boats. It's the grown up insurance guys that worry me. :cool

View attachment 394618

Same deal with the dragsters. My daughters 7.90 car would pull 1.42 60', but we didn't have 330 clocks working locally. When we went to Redding we got the "Um, her car is smoking the 330 mark" I have it geared so it won't break the 85mph rule (84 throughout he lights), but she was well under the recommended 330 times. :rolleyes

Very cool you and Lucas are doing this and I wish you the best of luck. This is what drag boat racing needs to bring the youth into the sport. :thumbup:

On the VW motor deal, that was more of a dream lake toy for CFW or the like. I'm guessing they are wanting spec outboards for the kids? NHRA just licensed a sealed spec motor from Briggs & Stratton for the 5-8yr old class.

Reactions: TBI

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Please keep us posted with the progress on the boats and the class. We are going to try to make it down for at least one of these races. My kids are all about it. :thumbup:

Might think about bringing the boats to Utah to display in mid July for the Jr Dragster West Coast Finals. There will be over 1000 kids racing and great exposure for you and the sport.

Reactions: TBI

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Might think about bringing the boats to Utah to display in mid July for the Jr Dragster West Coast Finals. There will be over 1000 kids racing and great exposure for you and the sport.
Good idea! :thumbup:

dread Pirate

Reaction score
So any updates? Build progress pics? Will they be ready for this weekend?

This is what we need to bring new blood into the sport. (that and a Nor-Cal venue:()

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Both of those look very close to the Kurtis 501's. The Red Boat particularly.

Red boat is a Kurtis. Black boat is an Abbottcraft.

So did the jr drag boats even get finished or make any passes? Was the ball dropped? Haven't heard anything since the announcement. Inquiring minds want to know.

Twisted Liquid Marine

Reaction score
So, I didn't have a subscription to the thread and missed all of the various inquiries. Here's a nutshell version of where things are with the Junior Drag Boats.

The boats debuted at the John Haas Memorial in Wheatland, MO. A total of 5 kids signed up and ran the boats throughout the weekend. Eliminations were conducted just like the big kids and all of the Junior racers were recognized at the awards ceremony on Saturday night. Winners were announced, trophies, given, lots of swag and applause from the Lucas crowd. A+ for the debut.

We followed it up two weeks later at the Showdown in San Angelo, racing on Lake Nasworthy in San Angelo, TX. We had 14 kids race over the three days, with qualifying and eliminations. Same story as Wheatland, only bigger. The support behind this thing is enormous and only continues to grow.

The boats are currently being run with a LODBRS licensed co-pilot for insurance reasons and to ensure we keep the kids safe. The boats do have a trim switch and some of the kids have never really driven a boat. Co-pilots include the likes of Tony Scarlata, Jarrett Silvey (Speed Sports TFH), Shelby Ebert (PE), and Denise Hodges (ME), as well as a few others.

The boats are presently running about a 16-17 second 660' at around 30 mph or so - perfect as far as Lucas is concerned to get this thing rolling. Once we go official and lose the co-pilot, speeds will increase and ET's will quicken. The actual class structure is yet to be determined, but I think we're looking at spec classes with straight indexes, no dial in. Discussions are ongoing and nothing is set as of yet.

We have committed to be at the fall Havasu race, as well as the World Finals in Phoenix. Augusta, GA is this weekend and just too far to haul at this point in time. We are entertaining the trip to Marble Falls, TX in August, as well as visiting Wheatland again in September. The demand is there and we are doing everything we can to accommodate.

I've attached a couple of pictures. More photos and videos are available on Facebook on the JRDBRL page. Any questions, let me know and thanks for the interest.

:cool

Wheatland, MO
bg.jpg

San Angelo, TX
IMG_4062.jpg

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Good to see your efforts are paying off ! More kids into 'self control/discipline ' thru a motor sport . More parents spending time with their kids . More all around 'wholesome' activities for people of all ages . More kids learning about mechanical things and business sense . Nice work !

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Very cool! Glad it's gaining momentum. I may still try to get my kids down for the Havasu or Phoenix race. Keep it up and PLEASE, keep us updated. :thumbup:

Twisted Liquid Marine

Reaction score
Good to see your efforts are paying off ! More kids into 'self control/discipline ' thru a motor sport . More parents spending time with their kids . More all around 'wholesome' activities for people of all ages . More kids learning about mechanical things and business sense . Nice work !

Thanks George. Watching my youngest, who is now almost 19, go from racing go karts to being glued to the XBOX was one of my biggest motivators. While I'm not a fan of forcing kids to pursue any specific activity, having options certainly helps. Good, clean family-oriented fun.

:cool

Twisted Liquid Marine

Reaction score
Very cool! Glad it's gaining momentum. I may still try to get my kids down for the Havasu or Phoenix race. Keep it up and PLEASE, keep us updated. :thumbup:

I'll do my best. I'm pretty much a one man band on this deal, so time is scarce. Still building custom minis as well and I think I'm busier now that i'm "retired".

This one just went to Michigan 2 weeks ago.

wynn.jpg

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I miss a glass shop that has good quality and reasonable production ethics . If I could find one I'd be in the water already .

TX Foilhead

Reaction score
So no pic of JBG layed across the bow to get the nose down?:yikes:D I should have taken one in San Angelo.

Did the boats go back west or are they still in TX? We figured that Ken had them when we saw them in San Angelo so we figured they would be in Marble Falls as well.

Sounded like there may be some more completion from some other boat builders next year.