WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Junk tools

4Waters

Reaction score
I know Craftsman hasn't always been shit but when did it go to shit? 99% of my Craftsman are 40 years old, my newest Craftsman tools are a set of gear wrenches and are almost 25 years old.

I know Sears started having problems about 15ish years ago so I'm thinking that's around the time Craftsman's quality started to suffer.

My chrome sockets held up to the impact until I could afford a set of used MAC impact sockets

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I know Craftsman hasn't always been shit but when did it go to shit? 99% of my Craftsman are 40 years old, my newest Craftsman tools are a set of gear wrenches and are almost 25 years old.

I know Sears started having problems about 15ish years ago so I'm thinking that's around the time Craftsman's quality started to suffer.

My chrome sockets held up to the impact until I could afford a set of used MAC impact sockets
I wouldn’t call them shit…unless we’re talking about the older ratchets.

I’ve never been a huge fan, most of the sockets I have are very inconsistently stamped…even the older stuff. Makes ‘em too slippery and tough to get off a ratchet. I’ve cracked quite a few over the years. Their wrenches have always been too bulky and mis-hit on the box ends…more so now.

They work, but plenty of better options. The only thing craftsman ever had going for it IMO was availability, warranty, and the fact that sears sold individual pieces for when one was lost.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
My Craftsman tools are so old they say "made in usa" on them. Tolerances were never great, but OK for the price point.

The current stuff being sold is Craftsman in name only, mfg is 100% chinesium.

Still OK for weekend warrior use, just not for pros.

77charger

Reaction score

I have a craftsman tool set my old boss bought me almost thirty years ago. Still the same ratchets in use too. Lost a couple sockets and a wrench along the way but all In great shape and my main tool set.

I use china freight for trailer or boat tool bags. You know lose one no big deal type stuff.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
The cheap stuff has its place. I buy both the good stuff and the cheap stuff. If I know I’m not going to use it a lot then it’s off to harbor freight I go. I’m about to go pick up their 14” bar chain saw today at their parking lot sale for $37.99. I’ll use it to cut a tree down next week and probably throw it away after.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I have this thing where my tools need to say USA on them. In my service truck, most of the tools are Craftsman with a USA roll mark and all are pretty much spot on with the Snap On tools I have. The Snap On ratchets are way easier on the hands. I will admit to having some chinese craftsman tools on the truck but those are because I couldn't find the USA model and those are also the loaners, if I ever loaned tools. The chinese made craftsman tools do have a different profile, fatter, which make getting in tight places tough. Those are also the ones that will get cut and welded or bent to get to a hard to reach bolt.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
My Craftsman tools are so old they say "made in usa" on them. Tolerances were never great, but OK for the price point.

The current stuff being sold is Craftsman in name only, mfg is 100% chinesium.

Still OK for weekend warrior use, just not for pros.

Some of my Craftsman stuff is so old its not even Craftsman, Its Sears! they are older than me I am sure.

fwiw as a professional wrench, a lot of my tools are still Craftsman (slowly being replaced with Husky as time goes on).When I drop one in the lake or a wet bilge, it doesnt bother me as much. I have a good mix just depending on what I like most. My favorite 1/4 and 1/2 ratchets are snapon where as my favorite 3/8 ratchet is a telescoping Husky and my favorite breaker bar I think I bought on Amazon. My favorite extensions are snapon super wobblies and my favorite box wrenches are Husky although I do like my thin Bluepoints too. My favorite screw drivers are Harbor Freight. Ive always hated snapon sockets and my favorite sockets are Husky, I think I own a grand total of 10 Snap on sockets and theyre all specialty sockets. My favorite compression gauge and leakdown testers are OTC where as my master fuel pressure kit is Mac. Dont even get me started on Cordless.....

I have between 2 and 3 Sets of almost any tool you can imagine; many of them being SnapOn, Or Cornwell, but also many of them being Craftsman, Husky, HF, and even no-namers. Botttom line is dont get caught up in the brand. These days brand means far less than it used to and any given tool has to be taken at face value for what it is, even within the same brand. Because, some are shit and some can truly surprise you. Sure having all the same brand stuff in your tool box looks really pretty, but its unrealistic for anybody who truly wrenches.

For those of you looking for some higher quality tool at affordable prices, look up a company called Tekton Tools.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Chinesium wrenches definitely have their place. Cut, bent, turned into crows fet, etc. I've modified wannabe vice-grips and crescent wrenches too. I don't feel bad using a "Pittsburgh" socket as a bushing driver driver.
It has taken a really long time to build up the tool truck collection. It gets used, but only as intended.

Backlash

Reaction score
Funny this thread popped up!

I started my Craftsman collection about 30 years ago with a small box set from my Dad. All Made in USA. It grew from that point. What I liked about them, is whenever you needed something or a ratchet serviced, you could stop by the Sears store and they would take care of it for you. Well, as we all know, that's no longer the case. Now their tools are garbage and I don't buy them anymore. I will however pick stuff up off of eBay when I see something that's Made in USA. 👍

PXL_20221205_214207787.jpg

Yesterday, I was messing around and quickly trashed a Chinesium socket adapter. I put a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter on the end of a 24" Snap-On breaker bar to remove a stubborn nut on a leaf spring perch. That project came to a screeching halt when the socket adapter gave up the ghost.

🤣

PXL_20230316_232429054.jpg

Needless to say, that leaf spring is still securely bolted in place. 🤣

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

I started my Craftsman collection about 30 years ago with a small box set from my Dad. All Made in USA. It grew from that point. What I liked about them, is whenever you needed something or a ratchet serviced, you could stop by the Sears store and they would take care of it for you. Well, as we all know, that's no longer the case. Now their tools are garbage and I don't buy them anymore. I will however pick stuff up off of eBay when I see something that's Made in USA. 👍

View attachment 1210140

Yesterday, I was messing around and quickly trashed a Chinesium socket adapter. I put a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter on the end of a 24" Snap-On breaker bar to remove a stubborn nut on a leaf spring perch. That project came to a screeching halt when the socket adapter gave up the ghost.

🤣

View attachment 1210141

That's more of a "choosing the right tool for the job" issue than a poor quality tool issue. Anything requiring a 7/8" socket that's been exposed to the elements for years shouldn't have a 3/8" drive anywhere near it.

Backlash

Reaction score
I didn't realize how "Stuck" that nut truly was! As I'm not a pro like some folks, I work with what I've got. For whatever reason, I didn't have that size socket in 1/2". 👍

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

View attachment 1210140

🤣

View attachment 1210141

That makes my knuckles hurt seeing that picture lol

Hope yours faired better that what I’m imagining.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I have made HF or sears runs just to buy tools to cut up. They do have there place.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

View attachment 1210140

🤣

View attachment 1210141

The times I've broken those adapters have been down pipe nuts on Chevys. I have 2 Snap-on ones...the square shank is removable for replacement.

Now, I have quite often used 3/8 to 1/4 because I'm too cheap to buy a 1/4 cordless ratchet.

dribble

Reaction score
I have a Craftsman 1/2” drive clicker torque wrench in the original case that my mom gave my brother for his 16th birthday in 1971. I recently checked it’s accuracy with my 4 year old 3/8” Proto torque wrench and it was spot on. It came with a booklet of torque specs for cars going back to 1955. Craftsman was the shit at one time.

I will say I have a modern craftsman hose clamp tool for those impossible spring clamps in use now. It was 40 bucks but with discounts and rewards I paid 3 bucks. That thing is the shit.

Backlash

Reaction score
The times I've broken those adapters have been down pipe nuts on Chevys. I have 2 Snap-on ones...the square shank is removable for replacement.

Now, I have quite often used 3/8 to 1/4 because I'm too cheap to buy a 1/4 cordless ratchet.
I know exactly what you mean! I've got a few Snap-On wrenches but don't have a justification to spend thousands more on tools like that. I don't even consider myself a weekend warrior. 👍

You on the other hand, you need those quality tools for what you do. 💪

Backlash

Reaction score
I have a Craftsman 1/2” drive clicker torque wrench in the original case that my mom gave my brother for his 16th birthday in 1971. I recently checked it’s accuracy with my 4 year old 3/8” Proto torque wrench and it was spot on. It came with a booklet of torque specs for cars going back to 1955. Craftsman was the shit at one time.

I will say I have a modern craftsman hose clamp tool for those impossible spring clamps in use now. It was 40 bucks but with discounts and rewards I paid 3 bucks. That thing is the shit.
Craftsman was all my Grandfather's or Dad ever bought. Maybe an SK tool or a Wright wrench here and there, but everything pretty much came from Sears and was labeled Craftsman.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
Between bought, inherited, giftes, found, and magically appeared tools I have every brand imaginable. A few years ago I organized a box with only Snap-On and Mac.
When I need one tool I grab it and return it to the nice organized box but when I am on a real project I find myself digging out of other boxes.
I like the variety of multiple brands and I like knowing if I break, lose, cut, or throw something it doesn't matter.

DWC

Reaction score
There’s not much to making hand tools. There are a limited number of factories producing a bunch of different brands. It’s more about product spec, quality control and constant testing. As someone pointed out in an earlier thread, overseas factories are always trying to save a few bucks. I’ve watched every brand out through the wringer in testing labs. There’s something pretty satisfying to watching a wrench / socket snap or fail with huge amounts of torque applied. Testing tie downs is my second favorite. The final snap will get ya every time.

Bajastu

Reaction score
My son just turned 16 and I bought his first set of tools for Christmas. I figured good set Craftsman will start him off and maybe he’ll stop using my tools. I get tired of picking up my Snap-on tools out of his room, left on the ground, and put away in the wrong drawer. He can now be messy with his tools and hopefully he learns how to use them and not pay people to fix his own stuff.

Getting these kids to use hand tools is important. A good mechanic is worth his weight in gold. Especially in the heavy equipment world.

AEA

Reaction score
The cheap stuff has its place. I buy both the good stuff and the cheap stuff. If I know I’m not going to use it a lot then it’s off to harbor freight I go. I’m about to go pick up their 14” bar chain saw today at their parking lot sale for $37.99. I’ll use it to cut a tree down next week and probably throw it away after.
If you are talking about the electric one, I have one and it has been a great saw. After the original chain wore out it was replaced with an Oregon chain and the saw is better than new. Amazing for less than $40.00.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean! I've got a few Snap-On wrenches but don't have a justification to spend thousands more on tools like that. I don't even consider myself a weekend warrior. 👍

You on the other hand, you need those quality tools for what you do. 💪
It's only been the last 5-6 years I've been buying from a rape van. It's almost always been "specialty" stuff. Out of every tool or set I've bought from one, 3/8 drive impact swivels are probably my most used...and they are the second rate "Expert" series off a Mac truck. At the time, there weren't any "knockoffs" yet, and Snap-on was like 600$, Mac was 450...but their Expert series was 225$. 5-6 years later, 1/2 impact on a reducer most times, and only broke one so far. Honestly, they look to be like the others now available on Amazon for 100$ or less.

A lot of my stuff is used as well. Picked up at garage sales or traded for. Just last week I replaced a sensor on a friend's car. No way to get an 1 1/8th socket or crows foot on it without pulling the AC compressor. I used an 1 1/8th open end that came in a bucket of tools an inmate here gave me...it had been cut down to 6" overall. F'n perfect tool for the job!

The problem sometimes isn't figuring out what tool you need. Sometimes it's trying to remember where you saw the tool that might work🤣

dribble

Reaction score
My son just turned 16 and I bought his first set of tools for Christmas. I figured good set Craftsman will start him off and maybe he’ll stop using my tools. I get tired of picking up my Snap-on tools out of his room, left on the ground, and put away in the wrong drawer. He can now be messy with his tools and hopefully he learns how to use them and not pay people to fix his own stuff.

Getting these kids to use hand tools is important. A good mechanic is worth his weight in gold. Especially in the heavy equipment world.
I lost a Matco open end wrench that was part of a set. I blamed my stepson for losing it and he didn’t deny it. Six years later I replaced the Berkeley housing on my jet boat. I pulled it off and there it was laying in the bilge. I never told him that I found it.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
That's more of a "choosing the right tool for the job" issue than a poor quality tool issue. Anything requiring a 7/8" socket that's been exposed to the elements for years shouldn't have a 3/8" drive anywhere near it.
Yeah should've been a 3/4 to 1/2.

Track Man

Reaction score
I broke my old craftsman half inch breaker bar that I got from my dad the other day. Bummed me out. I took it back to Lowe’s and they gave me a brand new one. My son had a couple busted ratchets Wrenches, he’s very hard on tools craftsman. I took them back and they replaced them at no charge also. How can you beat that? no questions asked. I think it’s great. They still want her there lifetime warranty.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Craftsman tools will get the job done. I have used hand tools all my life, and twisting wrenches is now my hobby. Good quality tools make the job much more enjoyable. I have assembled a large collection over the past forty plus years. Ninety percent Snap-On and Matco. I am pretty spoiled at this point, and couldn't go back to poor fitting wrenches. I am sure I put my Snap-On dealers' kid through college, as he gave me a pretty cool fat tire bicycle for Christmas.

bonesfab

Reaction score
I was a craftsmen user growing up and swore snap on was too expensive. Now that I use them all day, there is no comparison. But also the fact that they are a write off helps justify spending the money on them. Before I opened my shop, I would see other shop owner friends with all these bad ass tools and boxes. Well once I opened my shop I understood it a little better. You either spend it or give it to the government in taxes.

Your ad here

Reaction score

For his birthday get him a nice roller box for the tools, if he doesn't have one already. A roller box makes organizing and using tools so much easier than keeping them in a plastic portable box. He'll be more likely to use the tools when they're in a roller.
Getting tools is a great way to give him options in the future. Doesn't mean he has to lean towards being a mechanic but opens opportunities to build something using the tools.

timstoy

Reaction score
I broke my old craftsman half inch breaker bar that I got from my dad the other day. Bummed me out. I took it back to Lowe’s and they gave me a brand new one. My son had a couple busted ratchets Wrenches, he’s very hard on tools craftsman. I took them back and they replaced them at no charge also. How can you beat that? no questions asked. I think it’s great. They still want her there lifetime warranty.
The biggest problem is your trading American made Craftsman tools with cheaper Chinese made Craftsman tools. If your buying cheap tools you might as well buy Harbor freight, cheaper than Craftsman and they will replace anything.

JJ McClure

Reaction score

View attachment 1210140

🤣

View attachment 1210141

Add heat first.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I have some old Montgomery Wards wrenches I picked up in the 1970’s. They are in my box of odd ball tools I loan out. 😉

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
For me it all depends on how I am going to use it. If its a long term buy that will be used semi- regularly, Go decent. If its a one off or intermintant, HF or the likes on Amazon it is.
I tend to go to SK or Wiha or the likes for better tools as I don't have to climb onto a tool truck. Given I don't work with them for a living its hard to deal with trucks.

DLC

Reaction score
I got my nephew a 34“ US General cart for christmas - Orange is his favorite color!
I thought a box would be to big for him, not knowing where his carrier path would take him.
I upgraded some of my older stuff and wanted a complete set of sockets for my Hansen racks
For his Birthday I got him some dewalt cordless kits - impact, drill, 3/8 driver impact, and a corded palm sander

He just Graduated College with an Electrical Engineering degree
I am Very proud of him!

3832DCBE-41E1-4588-93A3-4094D6E450C4.jpeg
F1067D53-70BB-475D-99E1-C6285A092EBE.jpeg
05C419CD-1A71-475A-AB09-E02C4363F8FC.jpeg