WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Jury Duty WTF

Icky

Reaction score
Got a notice today, I think I should go, it said failure to appear on it. Shit I don't remember get any before that.

Don't they know I have a job, and don't open crap like that. Why can't they get people from the unemployment line, waste of my time.

DLC

Reaction score
Write in and explain it will be a hard ship for you to go.

I ve gotten 3 requests in 10 years and said I'm self employed and my boss is an ass....

Wife goes when she gets one but they pay her.... she would actually like to be a murder trial or something big...

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I got one about 15 years ago , called in and asked the color of the criminal ?( they didn’t tell me ) I was dismissed at that time and never got another request ( I am not in any way racist I didn’t want / have time to do it )

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I was on it a few weeks back.
Judge was issuing court orders to appear to anyone who didn’t show.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I was in jury duty a few weeks ago also and got assigned to a 3 week long case. As much of a pain in the ass as it is it's actually pretty cool to go through the process and see it all.

And it's not as easy as everyone thinks it is to get out of it.

Icky

Reaction score
Can bring my work phone in? Cause I can at least send emails while this shit goes down

Icky

Reaction score
That's what I'm afraid of
I was on it a few weeks back.
Judge was issuing court orders to appear to anyone who didn’t show.

I don't have the attention span for it, send me a fine I'll pay it and skip the whole thing
I was in jury duty a few weeks ago also and got assigned to a 3 week long case. As much of a pain in the ass as it is it's actually pretty cool to go through the process and see it all.

And it's not as easy as everyone thinks it is to get out of it.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I got tagged to be the foreman on a murder trial 40+ years ago............that's where I met my wife!! It was the old courthouse on Mountain and the 10 Freeway. IMHO anyone that refused to go without a honest reason should be fined BIG time. I learned that from my dad............he escaped the Russians when the invaded Hungary in the 40's.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Seriously, everybody should serve, it's your civic duty. That being said, my wife and I have served more than our fair share. They tag me almost every year for at least call in duty and last year the wife had to serve both for the county and the feds. If you want to offset the odds in your favor for not getting called in then stay up late before you call in and let everyone that really wants to serve fill the docket. It's not a guarantee but it helps.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I have thrown away multiple envelopes that may or may not have been jury duty notices. I figure if they are serious they will hand deliver it.
They hand delivered it to YOUR mailbox. ;)

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I’ve been on a jury before and really enjoyed the process. But let me tell you....I would hate to ever be in that defendant’s seat being judged by my “peers”. People could give two shits less about judging you based on the letter of the law. They will flip flop their decision just so they can get be finished with the process.

I was surrounded by people that could hardly speak English. They had very little comprehension skills (when it comes to following the rules of law). They voted purely on emotion and what would get them home by the end of the day. You’re supposed to remove your feelings and follow the law to a T when judging someone else’s fate.

My opinion would be to go with a trial by judge if you’re ever in that position:confused:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I had jury duty a couple years ago...first time I actually got called to sit on a jury. I wasn't bad, and was enlightening as to how our legal system works. Everyone should do it at least once...then throw the notices in the trash from that point on.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
At my old place of employment they payed for jury duty, I always tryed to get on a case, 1 time I made it all the way to lawyer questions. They bring these 2 Hispanic gang members in, tattoos all the way up their necks, teardrops the whole shabang. The defending lawyers ask me if I thought I could judge the case without any bias, I said , yes I most certainly can, but look at them, if they are not guilty of this crime, their guilty of something, the judge got pissy and I was release on the next round.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Got a notice today, I think I should go, it said failure to appear on it. Shit I don't remember get any before that.

Don't they know I have a job, and don't open crap like that. Why can't they get people from the unemployment line, waste of my time.
Put the shoe on the other foot;)

Would you want a dozen people from the unemployment line deciding your fate?
Go do your duty. Last time I went, the DA chick was hot as F&$K! :)

redone76

Reaction score
At my old place of employment they payed for jury duty, I always tryed to get on a case, 1 time I made it all the way to lawyer questions. They bring these 2 Hispanic gang members in, tattoos all the way up their necks, teardrops the whole shabang. The defending lawyers ask me if I thought I could judge the case without any bias, I said , yes I most certainly can, but look at them, if they are not guilty of this crime, their guilty of something, the judge got pissy and I was release on the next round.

That’s funny...I had almost the same thing happen to me but the tatted up gangster was a guy I went to high school with! He looked at me, stood up and said what’s up Mark and I was very quickly dismissed and shuffled out the door!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backlash

Reaction score

Did she happen to be blonde? ;)

Icky

Reaction score
Well they got the somehow, so they're not my peers. Their peers are probably unemployed

Backlash

Reaction score
Oh well I thought I knew who you were referring to! LMAO! Well, if you happen to go again, yes, there is a pretty hot blonde D.A. in Rancho! Just saying! :D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I’ve been on a jury before and really enjoyed the process. But let me tell you....I would hate to ever be in that defendant’s seat being judged by my “peers”. People could give two shits less about judging you based on the letter of the law. They will flip flop their decision just so they can get be finished with the process.

I was surrounded by people that could hardly speak English. They had very little comprehension skills (when it comes to following the rules of law). They voted purely on emotion and what would get them home by the end of the day. You’re supposed to remove your feelings and follow the law to a T when judging someone else’s fate.

My opinion would be to go with a trial by judge if you’re ever in that position:confused:

A good friend of mine lost a shit load of money in a case with a jury like this.

Please go serve if you are called. They really need people with brains.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I had jury duty a couple years ago...first time I actually got called to sit on a jury. I wasn't bad, and was enlightening as to how our legal system works. Everyone should do it at least once...then throw the notices in the trash from that point on.

Exactly. I served on a car jacking/kidnap trial probably 8 years ago. Guilty as fuck. His accomplice dropped dime on him. Pretty interesting but my god it shouldn’t have taken most of a week to complete.
Oh, and then I proceeded to “lose” a few notices up until last week when I figured I might not want to press my luck. Called the night before, my service wasn’t needed.
Winning!!!

welldigger00

Reaction score
I started a thread about this like six months ago! Almost the exact same title, and the exact same responses! Too funny!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
I just went through Jury duty @ the Santa Ana Courthouse, back in November. I had been postponing it online @ juror, but on my 3rd attempt to do so, it wouldn’t give me the option. Apparently you can only postpone it so many times within one calendar year. So it said MUST APPEAR IN PERSON. Ugh!

Great, had to sit in traffic & drive to Santa Ana, on a Monday morning. A couple of tips I learned from some smart people sitting with me.

1. If you’re going to postpone it, make the date the Tuesday or Wednesday of Thanksgiving week because there isn’t much going on & the chances of being dismissed are much higher. Or just postpone it for a Mid-week day, just never a Monday.

2. Never go on a Monday or Tuesday. (If you don’t want to be selected) The start of a new week & lots of new cases on the table, so lawyers are looking for new jurors.

3. Postponing won’t get you out of it, it just delays the inevitable, so might as well just get it over it. It made me eventually go with one calendar year.

All & all, just a very boring day. Bring your phone, laptop or tablet, we all had them. Bring a power cord, Wall Charger or portable charger & make the best of it. They allow it all, just keep the ringers on silent. With any luck they will cut you at lunch, but worst case scenario you’re there until 430pm ish & you’re done, w/o being asked to come back or picked for a selection.

Good luck lol

Thanks for the tips ---- AND WELCOME BACK !!!
Thumbs up.jpg

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I have always wanted to be on a jury. I have gotten 3 notices and never been needed. My cushy aluminum bus driving job pay protects us for just duty so I would love the change of pace!

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I went and said I hate Ford trucks...dismissed! lmao. I later read the plaintiff ended up winning the case. He bought a Ford F-450 and the powerstroke diesel was a POS and apparently couldn't get it resolved at dealer level or Ford Corporate, so he sued Ford. It went all the way to and through a jury trial. I thought at the time Ford was crazy to let the case go all the way to a jury trial.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
One year I got jury duty notices like 3-4 times including being a juror and witness/ plaintiff on a case where a guy stole shit from my garage. I told the judge " we can wrap this up quick since I'm on both sides, and Im going to need my own parking spot and possibly get on payroll being here so much." They were all a little embarrassed to say the least

530RL

Reaction score
My basic belief is that it's probably best not to be a defendant.

With that said, and not to be overly cynical, but America does not have a "justice system", we have a legal business.

And I appreciate a legal business is necessary, just as is a sewer business, but if you want free labor for your business, I am out in both cases.

Nobody is seeking the truth in there whether it be a civil or a criminal trial, they are all seeking a win, and no one should have a "civic duty" to be forced free labor to anyone else's for profit business.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I’m the last guy they want sitting on a jury. Never been don’t think I even get letters anymore

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
I go and didn’t mind it when I lived in Alta Loma. Now I live in Loma Linda, courthouse is in San Bernardino so if don’t get shot in a car to car shooting on your way there, its highly possible you’ll be accosted by the homeless walking from the parking lot :eek:.

Last edited:

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
I just went through Jury duty @ the Santa Ana Courthouse, back in November. I had been postponing it online @ juror, but on my 3rd attempt to do so, it wouldn’t give me the option. Apparently you can only postpone it so many times within one calendar year. So it said MUST APPEAR IN PERSON. Ugh!

Great, had to sit in traffic & drive to Santa Ana, on a Monday morning. A couple of tips I learned from some smart people sitting with me.

1. If you’re going to postpone it, make the date the Tuesday or Wednesday of Thanksgiving week because there isn’t much going on & the chances of being dismissed are much higher. Or just postpone it for a Mid-week day, just never a Monday.

2. Never go on a Monday or Tuesday. (If you don’t want to be selected) The start of a new week & lots of new cases on the table, so lawyers are looking for new jurors.

3. Postponing won’t get you out of it, it just delays the inevitable, so might as well just get it over it. It made me eventually go with one calendar year.

All & all, just a very boring day. Bring your phone, laptop or tablet, we all had them. Bring a power cord, Wall Charger or portable charger & make the best of it. They allow it all, just keep the ringers on silent. With any luck they will cut you at lunch, but worst case scenario you’re there until 430pm ish & you’re done, w/o being asked to come back or picked for a selection.

Good luck lol

I wouldn't gamble on trying to pick a date just before a holiday. I have had two recent trials where the judge had the attorneys pick a jury a day before the holiday. The trial courts in OC are dark (closed) on Fridays. The jurors had to come back on the following Monday.

During the Xmas break, all the potential jurors are college age kids that have been postponing. Its the worst time to try and prosecute a case.

Correct when you say that postponing it won't really help. If you don't fall into any of the exceptions or reasons to miss, just suck it up and go. If you are not picked and placed on a jury, its one day and out.

Do bring your phone chargers and anything else to keep yourself busy. Be honest in your responses when the attorneys are questioning you, even if they are not PC.

buck35

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, at least in civil matters, been on the wrong end of that once, still burns my ass when I think about the whole charade.

"530RL, post: 3008572, member: 12783"]My basic belief is that it's probably best not to be a defendant.

With that said, and not to be overly cynical, but America does not have a "justice system", we have a legal business.

And I appreciate a legal business is necessary, just as is a sewer business, but if you want free labor for your business, I am out in both cases.

Nobody is seeking the truth in there whether it be a civil or a criminal trial, they are all seeking a win, and no one should have a "civic duty" to be forced free labor to anyone else's for profit business.[/QUOTE]

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
My son is a LEO - no one wants me in the room, judge, lawyers, or other jurors. All i said was that he told me if it got this far, they're guilty - WHAT???????

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
been once, gave an honest answer aaaand havent been back since.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My basic belief is that it's probably best not to be a defendant.

Nobody is seeking the truth in there whether it be a civil or a criminal trial, they are all seeking a win, and no one should have a "civic duty" to be forced free labor to anyone else's for profit business.

So let's say some asshat sues you...

The charges are false and completely without merit, but he sue's you anyway cause you have deep pockets and he figures you will pay out just to keep the case out of court.

No deal though. You know you are right, he's wrong, and will fight to the death before you give him a fucking dime!!!

At this point, you have no option Except to have your case heard in court. Or you could not show, and he will win by default.

So now what???

Reaction score

Just raise your hand when they ask, if you or any of your friends and family have had a DUI, or been involved in an accident where the other driver had a DUI.

Most of the court cases needing a Jury, are DUI cases. They weeded me out after that question, and I spent the rest of the day waiting to be released. I've never been called back, it's been 15 years.

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I got my jury duty notice for the week of July 4th. It’s good in one sense since it’s one less day to report but if I get stuck on a case my summer could be hosed!

I think I just want to get it out of the way so I’ll keep the date. :cool:

Icky

Reaction score
What a waste of a day, I think I'd rather go sit at the DMV.

I wonder if anyone has tried presenting the judge with a bill for their time. :cool:

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Repeat offenders kills it for me.Waste of my time to see the same a-hole come back again.

Icky

Reaction score
Woke up, worked from home for a few hours, went to this shit at 9, sat for an hour, sent us on break at 10 for 45 mins. Came back sat for another 15 minutes or so and told us we could leave. Totally wasted my day.

Shouldve brought my laptop could've got something done. I figure it'll be another 36 years before I get a failure to appear notice again :D

RaceTec

Reaction score
I got one on my desk right now!!! I have been a few times in the last few years, it SUCKS! I have a business to run, if I had free time I would actually be interested... I report two weeks from today... They should call on my retired parents, both of them would enjoy it!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I got one on my desk right now!!! I have been a few times in the last few years, it SUCKS! I have a business to run, if I had free time I would actually be interested... I report two weeks from today... They should call on my retired parents, both of them would enjoy it!

My friend that got fucked was a small business owner too. Sued by a disgruntled employee...

If you would have been on the jury, she might have had a chance. You woulda saw right through the BS!!!