WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Just Curious...

X Hoser

Reaction score
I know nothing about outboards but with their popularity, why no aftermarket turbos or blowers? Lowers won't handle it? Seems there may be a market for it?

4Waters

Reaction score
Really tight inside the fairings you pretty much can't fit anything else in there

Riley1

Reaction score
Bobs Machine out of Florida has velocity stacks for my xr2. Carbon fiber reeds, exhaust tuners. Bunch of performance stuff.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
I remember some really fast outboards at the drags yrs ago.They can run.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Really tight inside the fairings you pretty much can't fit anything else in there
Design a new cowl or mount exterior of the cowl? IDK, just seems it would be a natural for the 4 strike v8 outboards?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Pretty much this for the most part. Also, adding weight is almost always negative for an outboard. A turbo or supercharger could add 25% more weight to the engine but if its only adding 25% more power, it's unlikely to,andd much performance to them. That and re-doing the setup due to the extra weight.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

X Hoser

Reaction score
Pretty much this for the most part. Also, adding weight is almost always negative for an outboard. A turbo or supercharger could add 25% more weight to the engine but if its only adding 25% more power, it's unlikely to,andd much performance to them. That and re-doing the setup due to the extra weight.

Like I said before, I know nothing about outboards and you are probably 100% correct as it has not been done. I can't imagine a pair of hair dryers increasing the weight 25%, but maybe so? Would look Kool tho with one sticking out each Side of the cowl though. I guess the exhaust configuration would be difficult for turbos.

rrrr

Reaction score
The intake and exhaust systems on outboards are tucked in tight on the engine. Plumbing both sides of the V for a turbo would require a Back To The Future looking conglomeration of tubing, turbos, wastegates, kitchen sink, etc.

The insane power output of newer outboards combined with driveability and warranty kinda militate against modifications.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score

Add a bit of nitro and the right tune would get more than 25%.I would like to see this done.Would be one bad whacker.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Like I said before, I know nothing about outboards and you are probably 100% correct as it has not been done. I can't imagine a pair of hair dryers increasing the weight 25%, but maybe so? Would look Kool tho with one sticking out each Side of the cowl though. I guess the exhaust configuration would be difficult for turbos.
We'll.... A stock 300R V8 Merc tips in at around 520# I believe. That would so i could easily see a turbo or 2, associated piping, possibly a charge cooler of some sort could easily add 130#+
Add a bit of nitro and the right tune would get more than 25%.I would like to see this done.Would be one bad whacker.
Oh yeah. Easily. And that is already being done as it essentially adds negligable weight to the engine and makes loads of power. But that is really obly being done on the boats that arent built for engine life which are very few.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
We'll.... A stock 300R V8 Merc tips in at around 520# I believe. That would so i could easily see a turbo or 2, associated piping, possibly a charge cooler of some sort could easily add 130#+
Oh yeah. Easily. And that is already being done as it essentially adds negligable weight to the engine and makes loads of power. But that is really obly being done on the boats that arent built for engine life which are very few.

I think with a 4 stoke outboard motor bolt on performance could work.Could happen soon.Turbos and small blowers would be cool to see.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I know nothing about outboards but with their popularity, why no aftermarket turbos or blowers? Lowers won't handle it? Seems there may be a market for it?
Old stuff or newer?
The 400r is supercharged.
It might be less to do with hardware and more to do with hacking into Mercury computer to adjust?

Reactions: DWC

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Old stuff or newer?
The 400r is supercharged.
It might be less to do with hardware and more to do with hacking into Mercury computer to adjust?
I didn't know the 400 was supercharged.A flash should make it better?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I believe that’s how they’re getting 400hp from less than 3 liters.;)
A flash, perhaps some pully play.
Maybe some porting?? Mill those heads for guys willing to run good gas. All the usual mods.
Getting into the electronics would be key though.

rrrr

Reaction score
I wouldn't screw around with one of those engines if they were mine. No third party has had the time or money for modification and testing AFAIK. The 400 is a brilliant piece of engineering, I doubt it could be improved by a flash without inviting disaster.

The heads were developed with huge computing power. You gonna let someone with a die grinder go to work on it? That would be nuts.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
I wouldn't screw around with one of those engines if they were mine. No third party has had the time or money for modification and testing AFAIK. The 400 is a brilliant piece of engineering, I doubt it could be improved by a flash without inviting disaster.

The heads were developed with huge computing power. You gonna let someone with a die grinder go to work on it? That would be nuts.
If they could wring any more out of the verado platform without compromising a warranty, they would have.....

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score

Everything manufactured for mass production can be improved.Kinda the American way.:D

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I think with a 4 stoke outboard motor bolt on performance could work.Could happen soon.Turbos and small blowers would be cool to see.
I dont think you'll see any add-on power adders being developed anytime soon for them due to many reasons.
Everything manufactured for mass production can be improved.Kinda the American way.:D
I agree, you could massage existing parts and likely get some decent hp increases. But at what cost? $? Reliability? Chain reaction failires of drivetrain components? Etc...

rrrr

Reaction score
I just don't see it happening. The 400 was built with the formidable resources of Mercury Marine. I have no doubt it has been optimally engineered. Who has the resources to examine the engine and modify it successfully?

A corollary would be cutting into a Mercury 1750. It would be a huge risk with a questionable outcome.

shueman

Reaction score
Leave em stock and run the crap out of em ... keep the warranty safe

X Hoser

Reaction score
Leave em stock and run the crap out of em ... keep the warranty safe
Everything everyone has said makes a lot of sense. I tend to agree with Shu's statement the most though.

hallett21

Reaction score
@BoostPower I believe is already researching and testing modifying the ECUs/motors for when they come out of warranty.

Or call Joe at Hot Laps if you want a pissed off outboard. Pretty sure he can make you a 400 HP 2.5 that’s super docile [emoji23][emoji6]. I’m sure he could uncork a 400.

Simon will flash a 350 to make it a 425-450

Leave them stock and run the hell out them [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
@BoostPower I believe is already researching and testing modifying the ECUs/motors for when they come out of warranty.

Or call Joe at Hot Laps if you want a pissed off outboard. Pretty sure he can make you a 400 HP 2.5 that’s super docile [emoji23][emoji6]. I’m sure he could uncork a 400.

Simon will flash a 350 to make it a 425-450

Leave them stock and run the hell out them [emoji1303]

We have a replacement ecu done and harness kit. Full control. Although we do perform reflash and BDM chip Tuning here, the stand alone is the route we find the best for the ultimate in performance. We also have tunes prepared for the 7 outboards but yet to test. Those are LSA Gm engines with a few mods. 1350 mods we have now as well. We don’t really advertise these products as our main biz is hardware but contact [email protected] for more info

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I just don't see it happening. The 400 was built with the formidable resources of Mercury Marine. I have no doubt it has been optimally engineered. Who has the resources to examine the engine and modify it successfully?

A corollary would be cutting into a Mercury 1750. It would be a huge risk with a questionable outcome.
I wouldnt say that's a corollary at all really. The 1350 to 1750 are designed for very short engine service life also there likely isn't much left in their design vs where an outboard is designed to run for thousands of hours there for there should be some tweaks available that would increase power but would likely shorten service life.

Justfishing

Reaction score
The verados are 6 cylinder and they have it up to 400hp. The new Mercury outboard is a V8 with a1/3 more ci. I think they will add a super charger to it. My guess is they will offer a 450 hp at the Miami boat show. Eventually the hp will be raised even more.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I remember reading the 400 should get 91 octane fuel, but 89 is doable, I imagine the computer adjusts itself to suit.
It seems (in my non computer, boat painter brain) why couldn’t someone reflash the computer to adjust the opposite direction and run closer to 100 octane?

If they could wring any more out of the verado platform without compromising a warranty, they would have.....
No they wouldn’t.
They usually debut a format then bring out a bigger and better version after the initial buying frenzy dies off a little.
1150 then a 1350...1550...1750?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Most people buy them for the warranties.. Is the short answer.

The bigger ones are already supercharged (hang on a minute.. Turbos are coming from what I've heard!) That said a computer flash will get ya bigger horsepower for less than a 1000 bucks.. But you void that warranty if you do it.

RD

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
BE5A509B-C365-4F31-88E0-9B65D6C5CCCC.jpeg