WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Advantage citation 25

DavAlf04

Reaction score
Made a trip down south to pick this up.
20190814_155248.jpg

It was probably 20 to 22 years ago I went out on havasu with my uncle on his baja 38 special. I fell in love with that boat. The size, sound, and even speed. At the same time I fell in love with boats. Since that time life has gone by and I have had a few project boats here and there, only one of which made it on the water.

But as I was working on one boat or the other, I still thought about th 38. Fast forward to now, a wife and two kids later I found myself in a position to pull the trigger. But finances only allowed for somewhat of a project. Found the advantage cotation, wife said do it so I did. Plan is to use it for the rest of the summer, and then this winter put an interior in it. It's pretty rough.

IMG959388.jpg

IMG959387.jpg

I will either attempt to cut and polish or hire someone to make the exterior a little more presentable. The wife doesnt like the colors so she wants it changed. I would love a repaint but I am scared of the cost. So we were looking into vinyl wraps.

I am excited and just want to share with anyone willing to listen. This is my first outdrive boat so I'm sure I will be on here with lots of questions.

Thanks guys!

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Welcome to the board! Always fun to take on a new project. Please keep sharing your progess!

DavAlf04

Reaction score
Short update.

Changed the drive oil and was happy to see that it was very clean. Still the bright blue color.

Called around to get a few estimate for the interior. Holy smokes, havasu prices are a bit high. Found a guy here somewhat locally. He used to work for Malibu and his work looks top notch. Got myself on his waiting list. First available will be april. And less than half of the quote I was given from Havasu.

DavAlf04

Reaction score
Anyone on here have any experience with vinyl wraps? I have been doing a lot of research and have been getting conflicting info. I am mainly curious how the hold up and its life span. I have read a year and up to 10.

Thanks!

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Anyone on here have any experience with vinyl wraps? I have been doing a lot of research and have been getting conflicting info. I am mainly curious how the hold up and its life span. I have read a year and up to 10.

Thanks!

My Ultra is currently in the shop getting a full rub rail down wrap right now. I should have it back in a couple weeks and will keep you posted as to how it turns out.
20190630_191856.jpg
20190804_200212.jpg

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I'm likely gonna be in it for somewhere around $2500 but I also did most of the surface prep myself and removed the rubrail and running lights before handing it over to him. My guy is also on the pricier side but I'm extremely familiar with his work and know my OCD will be satisfied. It also still beats a 12k respray.

DavAlf04

Reaction score
2500 is cheaper than I was expecting. And that includes a rub rail. Not bad.

DavAlf04

Reaction score
Took the boat out for the first time yesterday. Boy, I cannot be happier. I was expecting the worst. To be stranded out in the middle of the lake waiting for some one to pass so I can get a tow in. But the boat did not let us down.

Found a few issues with the boat that will need to be fixed. Prior to leaving, I found a leak from the line that goes from the outdrive oil reservoir to the outdrive. Looks to me it is leaking from where the line connects to the transom. I dont think I can get to it with out pulling the drive but I'll need to do some research.

The prior owner had told me there was about a half of a tank of fuel and that's what the gauge said. Go to the pumps, put 36 gallons in it. It wasnt full but that is the maximum purchase per card use. Check the gauge and it said full. All in all we put about 3 hours on the meter and the gauge didnt move. So I am guessing either the gauge is bad or the sending unit is.

But, as I said earlier, couldnt be happier. And the wife loves it too!

Husqy510

Reaction score
Took the boat out for the first time yesterday. Boy, I cannot be happier. I was expecting the worst. To be stranded out in the middle of the lake waiting for some one to pass so I can get a tow in. But the boat did not let us down.

Found a few issues with the boat that will need to be fixed. Prior to leaving, I found a leak from the line that goes from the outdrive oil reservoir to the outdrive. Looks to me it is leaking from where the line connects to the transom. I dont think I can get to it with out pulling the drive but I'll need to do some research.

The prior owner had told me there was about a half of a tank of fuel and that's what the gauge said. Go to the pumps, put 36 gallons in it. It wasnt full but that is the maximum purchase per card use. Check the gauge and it said full. All in all we put about 3 hours on the meter and the gauge didnt move. So I am guessing either the gauge is bad or the sending unit is.

But, as I said earlier, couldnt be happier. And the wife loves it too!

You can reach that line but it's a tight fit. There is a small 90 degree fitting that clips into the outdrive which could be cracked or have a bad o-ring

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
2500 is cheaper than I was expecting. And that includes a rub rail. Not bad.

It does not include the rubrail. I took it off to hide the seam. And it was beat to shit so I was replacing it anyway.

DavAlf04

Reaction score
You can reach that line but it's a tight fit. There is a small 90 degree fitting that clips into the outdrive which could be cracked or have a bad o-ring

I saw the small 90 degree fitting and the line is zip tied to it. Maybe I'll attempt to replace it first. It looks to me like 3/8 fuel line. Is that correct?

DavAlf04

Reaction score
Resized952019082595100636.jpg
Resized952019082595100721.jpg
Resized952019082595111312.jpg

Not the best picture but it's all the wife took. No cell service at the lake so I couldnt use the gps speedometer on my phone, but the boat speedo said 50 mph at 4500 rpm. Pretty happy about that.

It has a 22p prop, I feel I could add a little more pitch but not 100 percent sure. Still a newbie.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Its oil resistant thick wall 1/4" line made by parker/racor. There is also a mercruiser part number I can get for you if you desire, just let me know. We replace these pos plastic fittings with the original style brass ones at my shop by the dozens. They are a pain in the ass.

DavAlf04

Reaction score
Its oil resistant thick wall 1/4" line made by parker/racor. There is also a mercruiser part number I can get for you if you desire, just let me know. We replace these pos plastic fittings with the original style brass ones at my shop by the dozens. They are a pain in the ass.

It looks like a pain in the ass. If it's not too mu h trouble I would appreciate the part number. Do you recommend changing the fitting and the line?

DavAlf04

Reaction score
Had a couple of beers tonight and got a wild hair. Decided to try some cutting compound. Not bad for 5 min worth of work.
20190826_190348.jpg

Never mind the keystone, the neighbor brought them.
20190826_192201.jpg

20190826_190346.jpg

But not too bad. I look forward to the hours I have ahead of me.

Attachments

• 20190826_190346.jpg
    20190826_190346.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 328

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
If its leaking between the drive and the boat I would say yes. If not, I'd say let it lie.

I'll get you the part number for the hose and the quick disconnect plastic 90 on the inside in the morning when I get into the shop.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Hose # 32-8m0040618
90 degree fitting # 22-861163
Oring # 25-627021

DavAlf04

Reaction score
What did you use for cutting compound?
I had a turtle wax fine cutting and polishing compound. But my success was short lived. I went out this morning and the fading had returned. Not as bad but returned. I may try using that stuff a few more times or go for something new.

I was looking at this stuff called padxpress nautic. The videos of it look pretty good. I'll let you know what happens.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Rubrail up is the original gelcoat. Rubrail down is the wrap. He struggled a bit to line up the lines on the blue up front but in fairness warned me ahead of time that may be the case. All in all he got it pretty close.
20190829_112430.jpg
20190829_112506.jpg

DavAlf04

Reaction score
Rubrail up is the original gelcoat. Rubrail down is the wrap. He struggled a bit to line up the lines on the blue up front but in fairness warned me ahead of time that may be the case. All in all he got it pretty close. View attachment 792776 View attachment 792777

It looks really good! Are you happy with it? The wife was thinking a full color change but I am leaning towards going over the existing graphics with different colors. I wish I had photoshop so i could play with it and see how it looks.

Speaking of which, anyone on here good with photoshop?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Quality is great. I wish the front line tied in a little better with the front but it is what it is and I knew it going in. Im sure I'll get used to it tho. My advice would be if you're going full wrap, dont try and tie into any existing lines. Other than that, use colors that match your upholstery and just go with it!

DavAlf04

Reaction score
Been a while since I've done an update. Didn't really touch the boat over the winter except to start her up to keep the fluids moving.

On April 10th I dropped the boat off up in atwater to have the interior redone. Dropped it off with the expectation of picking it up near the end of May. We had a trip for laughlin planned. Around may 20th or so i call the interior guys and they explained that hadnt touched the boat. I was pissed but with this covid bs going around it was somewhat understandable. He said the the sheriff had showed up and shut them down.

A month goes by and I call them again and he says they are about to start and it should be done in three weeks. Two weeks later I call and he tells me another three weeks. At this point I was getting worried and had a tough time containing my anger. Most of summer has already passed and we haven't been able to use the boat. Needless to say, he calls me 2 weeks later and says it will be ready on Friday. Finally!! By no means am I putting this interior place down. They did excellent work and were always very responsive. I think it was just a matter of circumstance. It came out beautiful and brought new life to this old boat. I haven't really taken too many pictures but this is what I have.
6179170061.jpg

6179169271.jpg

6175789721.jpg

6175790001(1).jpg

The wife went and picked the boat up, took it straight to the mechanic for a service, and to fix that dang out drive oil line. I picked it up a week later and the next day we were on the lake.
Resized_20200809_103144.jpg

Again, I didn't really take any pictures but the wife had this one of the lake day.

If the finances allow, hopefully paint this winter.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Put a swim platform on it, that would really help with the enjoyment and ease of getting into the boat from the water. Plus it gives people a spot to put on wakeboards/skis.

DavAlf04

Reaction score
Dropped the boat off at the painter on Tuesday. Hes going to re gel the bottom to repair the wear from beaching it. And then he'll change the color of the graphics. I would like a whole new scheme but the budget won't allow it. He says it should take a month. Ill be sure to post pics when its done.

DavAlf04

Reaction score
Can I ask who did the gel and a ballpark for price? PM me if that’s better. Been debating doing that to my advantage. Thanks!

Mobile fiber llc in Clovis Ca. Since he has started i haven't seen the boat in person but in the pics it looks like good work. But I can say he has been very responsive in regards to texts and request for updates. And it's being done at a very fair price. Also, he said a month, and he's almost done! A much better experience compared to when the interior was done.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
So how does this work. Paint over old gel scheme, and then clear the entire boat?

DavAlf04

Reaction score
No, I'm wrong. I think it was paint over existing, clear over paint, cut and polish entire boat.

DavAlf04

Reaction score
Went and looked at the boat over my lunch break. They just got done spraying the bottom. The boat was wrapped in plastic so I couldn't really see the paint. The nose had a small scratch on it that they said they needed to fix. When they closed the door it barely hit the nose. Hopefully next week it'll come home. Very excited.

DavAlf04

Reaction score
Painter is still waiting on the rub rail. But he sent me this picture. It was a last minute add and he came through.

IMG_1900(1).jpg

DavAlf04

Reaction score
Dammmmmmn! Looks great!

Thanks! Still very happy. Talked to the painter about doing the trailer next year. Paint, add steps, and new lights. I grabbed these photos from another members project on here. I want to do the same thing.

IMG_1265.jpg
IMG_1739.jpg

DavAlf04

Reaction score
One of the smaller projects I want to get done over the winter is get my gages that aren't working replaced. The fuel pressure gage is one of them. Do I really need this gage? If not what should I put in its place? Also, I want to replace the depth finder. Any suggestions?

20201119_114620.jpg
20201119_114616.jpg