WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Just when I thought I had seen it all - I40 experience last night

bk2drvr

Reaction score
In the 30+ years of going back and forth to the river I've seen some crazy stuff late at night on the highway from roll-overs, dead bodies, shredded semi's, train derailments, cars and RV's on fire, etc..... but after last night I get to add a new one to the list. We left Needles at 10:30pm to return to OC, not ideal time to hit the road but we had to get back and just wanted to bust out the drive to start our week off this morning from home. About 2 miles from the Dagget exit near Barstow (its 12:15am at this point) I'm cruising along at about 75mph in the left lane and in an instant I see headlights coming right at me. It was a car traveling eastbound in my westbound lane at highway speeds coming right at me. When I realized what I was seeing I quickly jumped over into the right lane and he went flying by me. From the time I saw his headlights coming at me and realizing what I was seeing to the time it was over was about 6-7 seconds. I'm guessing I saw him about 2-300 yards out but traveling at those speeds we were closing in fast on each other. I'm not sure what eventually happened but I hope it ended up okay for the people behind me.

Then I kid you not about 10 mins later on the 15 near the 58 split a semi I was following made an abrupt maneuver out of the far right lane he was traveling in into the lane next to him barely missing a guy picking up his crashed motorcycle in the middle of the lane. Crazy night on the road. Be alert out there people.

DBMX

Reaction score
Crazy. I thought about leaving Needles last night, but decided to get up early this morning instead. Glad I did!

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I've seen my share of crazy stuff when we were working in the office, My office work hours are 4am to noon. See a lot of accidents, wrong way drivers and drunk drivers at 3am on the 405.

Duramax

Reaction score
In the 30+ years of going back and forth to the river I've seen some crazy stuff late at night on the highway from roll-overs, dead bodies, shredded semi's, train derailments, cars and RV's on fire, etc..... but after last night I get to add a new one to the list. We left Needles at 10:30pm to return to OC, not ideal time to hit the road but we had to get back and just wanted to bust out the drive to start our week off this morning from home. About 2 miles from the Dagget exit near Barstow (its 12:15am at this point) I'm cruising along at about 75mph in the left lane and in an instant I see headlights coming right at me. It was a car traveling eastbound in my westbound lane at highway speeds coming right at me. When I realized what I was seeing I quickly jumped over into the right lane and he went flying by me. From the time I saw his headlights coming at me and realizing what I was seeing to the time it was over was about 6-7 seconds. I'm guessing I saw him about 2-300 yards out but traveling at those speeds we were closing in fast on each other. I'm not sure what eventually happened but I hope it ended up okay for the people behind me.

Then I kid you not about 10 mins later on the 15 near the 58 split a semi I was following made an abrupt maneuver out of the far right lane he was traveling in into the lane next to him barely missing a guy picking up his crashed motorcycle in the middle of the lane. Crazy night on the road. Be alert out there people.
When we used to race in Mexico we had that happen one night. My buddy was driving and I was like, "hey, does that look like it's in our lane?". My buddy said no, but just in case I will move over. Sure as shit, 3 minutes later a car goes flying by in the fast lane in the opposite direction. The roads were had a huge median between them too.

I didn't call that one in!

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
I learned a long time ago to drive in the far right lane late at night.The drunk drivers going the wrong way think they are in the slow lane while actually they are in your fast lane. Keep it in mind as it saved my life one night

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
There was also a wadded up white suburban sitting out in the desert in the west bound side near ludlow when I went through about 7pm. Odd that they would leave it out there, no police on scene, nobody around.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I learned a long time ago to drive in the far right lane late at night.The drunk drivers going the wrong way think they are in the slow lane while actually they are in your fast lane. Keep it in mind as it saved my life one night

Funny you mention this. I normally by default always drive in the right lane because its less stressful with fewer cars coming up behind you constantly wanting to pass. Last night when this occurred I had recently over taken a slower vehicle and would have moved over but the circumstances were such that I hadn't moved over to the right lane yet. I do remember not looking to see if anyone was in the right lane before I made my quick jump into the lane. I had no choice but to do it quickly. Could have gone bad in few different ways I guess.

I've noticed I'm a minority in this when driving with friends and family. They perceive it as always changing lanes. I sometimes get asked "why do you change lanes so much"? Its something that can't be explained. haha...

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I've had it happen twice in recent years, about a month apart.
Westbound I-40 on top of the Ludlow Bridge., About midnight.
And eastbound Hwy 163, to Laughlin, about 5 miles away from Hwy 95, about 10 pm.
I'm generally in the slow lane.
Called both of them in.

Dan'l

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Yep, learned that as a young teen in a drivers ed class I had to take for a ticket I got before I had a license.
Taught by a HighwayPatrol officer. They definitely used some scare tactics in the class, they even took/toured us 14-15 year olds through the main jail letting the inmates make catcalls toward us.😬🤯😳

cofooter

Reaction score
Damn, you are very fortunate you reacted the way you did and it turned out OK. I think about that all the time driving the 10 in Az through the reservation. There have been several head-ons in that stretch of highway involving wrong way drivers. Always thinking about the terrain around me and where the escape route would be if I saw the headlights coming. Staying anywhere on the pavement would be my last choice.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score

Had a very similar experience on I-40 fifteen years ago, about five miles west of Ludlow -- I was traveling east bound to Havasu at about 10:15pm on a Tuesday night. I noticed what appeared to be white lights off in the distance -- that seemed strange but thought maybe is was a west bound freight train since tracks come pretty close to the highway at that point. About five seconds later a semi up ahead in the right lane starting flashing his lights and pulling part way on to the shoulder. For a second I thought the semi might be having a problem but when I looked back up ahead the white lights were a pair of fast closing headlights. I had just enough time to swirve into the right hand lane behind the semi and a car doing 75+ in the opposite direction passed me on the wrong side of the highway. About 30 seconds later two highway patrol cars were west bound in hot pursuit of the wrong way driver on the opposite side of I-40.

FishSniper

Reaction score
There was also a wadded up white suburban sitting out in the desert in the west bound side near ludlow when I went through about 7pm. Odd that they would leave it out there, no police on scene, nobody around.
I thought the same thing and we went by pretty early around 9-10 am.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

That was there at noon as well.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Damn, you are very fortunate you reacted the way you did and it turned out OK. I think about that all the time driving the 10 in Az through the reservation. There have been several head-ons in that stretch of highway involving wrong way drivers. Always thinking about the terrain around me and where the escape route would be if I saw the headlights coming. Staying anywhere on the pavement would be my last choice.
I'm one of those highly engaged drivers. Always looking well ahead, behind and intersecting sideroads.
Super vigilant if I'm the outside vehicle in a curve as cars approach. Always seeking an escape route.
Instructed my wife to take her chances with going off the road vs head-on if it came to that.
I'm certain a trait I learned and honed from decades of being in the car biz.

DBMX

Reaction score

Still sitting there this morning.

There was also a trailer with 2 sit downs on it off the side of the road a bit later. Trailer had a blow out so they left it... I assumed to get the tire fixed. BUT as I passed I noticed the blown wheel was still on it. Don't know what the plan was with that. Maybe rentals so they just left them?

Its been a weird year on and off the water.

rrrr

Reaction score
I think about that all the time driving the 10 in Az through the reservation. There have been several head-ons in that stretch of highway involving wrong way drivers. Always thinking about the terrain around me and where the escape route would be if I saw the headlights coming. Staying anywhere on the pavement would be my last choice.

When I was younger and driving to Durango 15-20 times during winter to ski Purgatory, we had to drive on US 44 from Bernalillo. It's now US 550. The road bisected the Jicarilla Apache reservation.

I always watched the shoulder and imagined having to bail out if I encountered a drunk coming headon on my side of the two lane highway.

That vigilance paid off when I crested a hill one night and there were five or six horses on the roadway. I took it into the desert, missed the horses, and regained the road. The entire deal took just seconds.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Still sitting there this morning.

There was also a trailer with 2 sit downs on it off the side of the road a bit later. Trailer had a blow out so they left it... I assumed to get the tire fixed. BUT as I passed I noticed the blown wheel was still on it. Don't know what the plan was with that. Maybe rentals so they just left them?

Its been a weird year on and off the water.

Bizarrre about the Suburban, front end was mangled like it ran into the back of a semi

cofooter

Reaction score
When I was younger and driving to Durango 15-20 times during winter to ski Purgatory, we had to drive on US 44 from Bernalillo. It's now US 550. The road bisected the Jicarilla Apache reservation.

I always watched the shoulder and imagined having to bail out if I encountered a drunk coming headon on my side of the two lane highway.

That vigilance paid off when I crested a hill one night and there were five or six horses on the roadway. I took it into the desert, missed the horses, and regained the road. The entire deal took just seconds.
I take that route sometimes between Az and Co. Never at night.......anymore. Too sketchy.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I’m actually considering a dash cam . Lately the amount of just stupid / inconsiderate driving everywhere has me appalled . There’s a series of videos on YouTube that showcase dash cam footage from around the world . Wow !

Joker

Reaction score
I’m actually considering a dash cam . Lately the amount of just stupid / inconsiderate driving everywhere has me appalled . There’s a series of videos on YouTube that showcase dash cam footage from around the world . Wow !
Very happy with our OwlCam. Senses movement and sends it to your phone. Plus this one has not overheated like the others from being plugged in all day.

dribble

Reaction score
I have a CHP buddy who will not drive in the left lane at night. The drunks goin the wrong way think they’re in the slow lane.

FCT

Reaction score
I just got chills reading this. You literally had to of been right next to my wife last night. She saw the motorcycle deal as well. I had my wife take a compressor for me to a job in Newberry Springs with our F-350 last night because I had to take other equipment up north. I had just told her I loved her and passed out and then I got a call at 12:14am from her and she was a mess crying and panicked and I instantly thought the worst. She was right around Daggett as well when it happened. She doesn’t see well at night and by the time she focused in on what was actually happening she said she barely missed hitting him head on as well and it happened very fast. Very scary. I’m so very thankful all of you are ok. I started crying this morning just at the thought of having to tell our 2 and 4 year old boys mommy won’t be coming home again. You truly never know what tomorrow brings. Enjoy every day with your loved ones because you never know when it’s your last.

on a side note you weren’t the boat doing 90 in the fast lane she sent me a video of were you? 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_9109.mov
    462.2 KB

Caligirl

Reaction score
Hope you called that in. It could save someone’s life.
I called it in, they were in top of it. I had just dropped off a trailer for my husband and had seen 2 CHP’s that had people pulled over on west and east bound lanes. I looked up accidents this morning and didn’t read of any so I hope no news is good news. 🤞🏻 @bk2drvr you and I had to be right next to each other. The semi was just backing up to the scene of the motorcycle that went down when I passed. I was in a white F350, I had to pull over for a bit before I hoped back in the road. I haven’t had that close of a call before, no way we would have walked away from that one.
sorry left that out. Ya we did.
Hope you called that in. It could save someone’s life.

tostark

Liquid Equity
Reaction score
I had it happen a month ago coming back from eastern sierras. Been doing that drive for 30+ years and no issue. Just south of 395/14 split i am gaining on car ahead and planning my pass. He breaks hard and goes to the shoulder and here are 2 sets of headlights coming my way. When i hit the shoulder, they both passed me still taking up both lanes. Young girl. Not even close to making a safe pass. Def got the pucker factor elevated

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I just got chills reading this. You literally had to of been right next to my wife last night. She saw the motorcycle deal as well. I had my wife take a compressor for me to a job in Newberry Springs with our F-350 last night because I had to take other equipment up north. I had just told her I loved her and passed out and then I got a call at 12:14am from her and she was a mess crying and panicked and I instantly thought the worst. She was right around Daggett as well when it happened. She doesn’t see well at night and by the time she focused in on what was actually happening she said she barely missed hitting him head on as well and it happened very fast. Very scary. I’m so very thankful all of you are ok. I started crying this morning just at the thought of having to tell our 2 and 4 year old boys mommy won’t be coming home again. You truly never know what tomorrow brings. Enjoy every day with your loved ones because you never know when it’s your last.

on a side note you weren’t the boat doing 90 in the fast lane she sent me a video of were you? 🤣

wow crazy I was wondering if an RDP connection would be made to this. No, I was not doing 90 pulling a boat. I was doing 75ish in a silver GMC Sierra.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I called it in, they were in top of it. I had just dropped off a trailer for my husband and had seen 2 CHP’s that had people pulled over on west and east bound lanes. I looked up accidents this morning and didn’t read of any so I hope no news is good news. 🤞🏻 @bk2drvr you and I had to be right next to each other. The semi was just backing up to the scene of the motorcycle that went down when I passed. I was in a white F350, I had to pull over for a bit before I hoped back in the road. I haven’t had that close of a call before, no way we would have walked away from that one.

WOW Yes you must have been right near me. I probably should have been more rattled than I was. It just happened so fast I didn’t have time to get too upset. I did think about it the rest of the way home and today thinking I could easily be dead right now. Head on’s don’t usually end well.

I did see the semi pull over, I assume to assist the motorcyclist. He almost plowed over that guy. Gotta hand it to the semi driver, he did a good job maneuvering around that guy at the last second.

ssc

Reaction score
Many years ago, it happened to me while going NB on the 15 late in the evening. The 15 was only 2 lanes at that time. It definitely gets your attention. Glad everyone is safe.

Cheers, Steve

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I'm wondering how the dude with the motorcycle even put his bike down in the road to begin with🤔

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I've seen my share of crazy stuff when we were working in the office, My office work hours are 4am to noon. See a lot of accidents, wrong way drivers and drunk drivers at 3am on the 405.
AHA.... THAT explains the 3am porn!

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I'm wondering how the dude with the motorcycle even put his bike down in the road to begin with🤔

ya I guess he crashed. The guy was in the middle of the far right lane the semi was traveling in. When the semi swerved I could see the guy and his bike perfectly. He was getting up off the ground and the bike was laying on its side.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I have a CHP buddy who will not drive in the left lane at night. The drunks goin the wrong way think they’re in the slow lane.
In Newport we call it the Dennis Rodman effect.... he has a habit of driving wrong way at night.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
WOW Yes you must have been right near me. I probably should have been more rattled than I was. It just happened so fast I didn’t have time to get too upset. I did think about it the rest of the way home and today thinking I could easily be dead right now. Head on’s don’t usually end well.

I did see the semi pull over, I assume to assist the motorcyclist. He almost plowed over that guy. Gotta hand it to the semi driver, he did a good job maneuvering around that guy at the last second.
So the guy on the bike just went down in the middle of the 40? No car involved?

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
. . . people who drive like that need to be shot, square 'Tweeners' . . . buh-bye.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
If I see any of you homo's that have posted in this thread...

Say one single thing about Rice Road being dangerous EVER again...

BANG! I'm having the mods give you TWO nights in the box!!!

👎😡😁

rice road sucks ....:p

exactly where would he have gone besides into the desert on rice?
oh I know... into the front grill of the idiot driver😘

riverroyal

Reaction score
Left late today. Took 10 to 60 to 215. Its been 2 years since ive done that route. Horrible.
The bad drivers are off the charts. 65 in the fsst lane. Then 65 to 80 to 65. Nobody stays one speed or in one lane
I found myself speeding more than normal to get away from ass clowns

traquer

Reaction score
Craziest thing I've ever seen going to the river. I believe it was the 10E and I was towing a boat. I see dust pretty far ahead so I slow down and I start seeing car panels and plastic all over the road then I see this terribly mangled car in the ditch... I'm thinking the worst, but then I see a car carrier semi pulled over up ahead missing the last car on the roof rack. Holy shit!

Pretty sure it was a holiday weekend about 10 years ago. Anyone else come up on that wreck?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
ya I guess he crashed. The guy was in the middle of the far right lane the semi was traveling in. When the semi swerved I could see the guy and his bike perfectly. He was getting up off the ground and the bike was laying on its side.

Got to be an explanation, don't think just falling over is very common😄

bk2drvr

Reaction score

It was the 15 but all I saw was the semi swerve abruptly and a guy and his bike on the ground in the right lane.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Got to be an explanation, don't think just falling over is very common😄
Likely fell asleep, 40 is pretty boring at night. I’ve dozed off on my bike alone at night on desolate roads.

nowski

Reaction score
This thread is a classic story of taking driving serious and not for granted.

bk2drvr: I'm glad you stayed focused on your driving and your surroundings, those two actions played an important role with keeping you safe. I wish more people on the road would simply do just that..

Caligirl

Reaction score

I normally don’t get rattled like that at all but it was really close. I can’t see well at night with oncoming traffic, (my eyes can’t focus quick) -middle of the desert with no other lights I’m fine, that’s why I didn’t see it until the last minute, I thought it was just the East bound side of the highway curving around until I clearly saw 2 headlights directly in front of me all the sudden. I called 911, was perfectly calm still and then I didn’t loose it until I started talking to my husband.

We just lost one of our good friends literally a few days ago, he was ejected out of his truck coming home from work and died at the scene. He had just bought his first house last month, got married and had a beautiful baby girl that he will never get to see grow up. It didn’t hit me until I heard my husband’s voice and then I lost it. Crazy how easily your life can be changed/ended in a split second. We were literally right behind/in front one another. I told my husband about the guy with the jet skis and the Harley last night and then not even 20 minutes later I see some idiot doing 90+ in the fast lane towing his boat! He sent me your post earlier and I told him SEE!!! Small world!