WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Just wrapping things up… RangerCrew xp1000 Northstar Ultimate

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
This buildup has been fun. Took it to ProLineWraps for some work this week. They did a great job on it. Pretty happy with it and I think you guys might enjoy seeing it.

40242518-2FEF-4B4F-ABF3-7AE423A42952.jpeg
EA237776-FA9C-4D50-A4AD-778EA1498B79.jpeg
5301F589-1985-4DEF-A573-531F469325A1.jpeg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Very clean👍
How do these do on Havasu trails compared to a stock Rzr? Them creature comforts are preetttty nice😊

wallnutz

Reaction score
If I could fit it in the trailer with the sand rail I would be building one. Long travel with a turbo kit.

dspracing

Reaction score
Very clean👍
How do these do on Havasu trails compared to a stock Rzr? Them creature comforts are preetttty nice😊
Havasu trails are gnarly. We have more fun in our samurai than we ever did in the rzr. I’d imagine this would be the ultimate vehicle for trails and around town.

gqchris

Reaction score
Havasu trails are gnarly. We have more fun in our samurai than we ever did in the rzr. I’d imagine this would be the ultimate vehicle for trails and around town.
You gotta post some pics of the adventures, brotha! I miss that ride!!

Heylam

Reaction score
Beautiful. Now it’s time to take it out and pinstripe that pretty wrap in the desert.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Very clean👍
Honestly Zig this thing is way more functional for what I do in the desert now. It’s a cruiser and a crawler. I don’t need to be mobbing the desert at high speeds anymore, it’s nice to see our surroundings. The RangerCrew is nothing like the Rzr was in speed or performance. However, the xp1000 has the power. With a bed capacity of 1000lbs and it tows 2500lbs of hoes.

This Northstar Utlimate Edition is loaded with goodies. This new ‘22 model boasts a bigger compressor for the AC, better door seals to help keep the dust out. The seats have been slightly improved but could still be better. They call it a 6 seater but extremely comfortable with 4 and a 5th in the center back wouldn’t complain. Have not messed with the RideCommand much yet but it’s kinda cool. And I pulled some dudes car out of the sand a week ago with the 4500lb winch in the front bumper already. Two gloveboxes on the passenger side with deep side pockets in ever door. I could go on but will save it for my future feature review in “two weeks”.

Once I ordered this thing, it took about 6 or 7 months to show up. In the waiting period, I loaded the garage floor with parts to do the build when it came. Changed out the suspension with a HCR kit to strengthen its ability and to put a set of 15” Method beadlock wheels on. Wrapped those Methods with the 32”BFG KM3’s. With the need to light up the night, I added almost 20 Rigid lights, RhinoRack teamed up with Polaris and made a roof and bed rack specifically for this model, so to make it even more functional we added both of those too. And maybe just as important as the rest, I had all the windows ceramic tinted to keep as much heat out as possible, plus it looks kewl!

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
Love it… I just bought a CanAm Defender Limited from Dave at Parker Yamaha. I already ordered wheels tires, Arms and springs.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
We have the same rig at our Flagstaff cabin. It is the absolute best overall utility vehicle I’ve owned, period.

I lifted mine, had longer shocks, don’t remember which brand. And 30” tires. These are so long, they hit every rock in the woods on the bottom if left stock. I had a bar made for the bed to hold the spare and jack.

The stereo is pretty good, AC/Heat is awesome. Keeps dust out, as mentioned door seals are far improved from the 18 we had. Power windows, winch, I added a rear winch’s as well. Tip out windshield, ride command GPS. And I haven’t figured it out either.

We do long days in the woods. I keep lots of tools, chain saw and a bunch of other stuff in it.

We’re the only people out when it’s cold or snowing.

This picture is my 18. Don’t have a shot of the new one.
2424FEDF-9BCA-4C50-8E3C-1E09122E88CE.jpeg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Love it… I just bought a CanAm Defender Limited from Dave at Parker Yamaha. I already ordered wheels tires, Arms and springs.
Setting new trends 😀 You are going to love it! I was in one yesterday, really nice features. First thing I noticed were the door latches 👍
I had a hard time finding springs and shocks.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
We have the same rig at our Flagstaff cabin. It is the absolute best overall utility vehicle I’ve owned, period.

I lifted mine, had longer shocks, don’t remember which brand. And 30” tires. These are so long, they hit every rock in the woods on the bottom if left stock. I had a bar made for the bed to hold the spare and jack.

The stereo is pretty good, AC/Heat is awesome. Keeps dust out, as mentioned door seals are far improved from the 18 we had. Power windows, winch, I added a rear winch’s as well. Tip out windshield, ride command GPS. And I haven’t figured it out either.

We do long days in the woods. I keep lots of tools, chain saw and a bunch of other stuff in it.

We’re the only people out when it’s cold or snowing.

This picture is my 18. Don’t have a shot of the new one.
View attachment 1111833
That is bomb! Trying to talk my BIL to buy one in Washington and put tracks on it 🤪👍

DuttonDave

Reaction score
I’m bringing my wheels tires , springs and arms from so cal to Havasu. Any recommendations in town for installation ?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Honestly Zig this thing is way more functional for what I do in the desert now. It’s a cruiser and a crawler. I don’t need to be mobbing the desert at high speeds anymore, it’s nice to see our surroundings. The RangerCrew is nothing like the Rzr was in speed or performance. However, the xp1000 has the power. With a bed capacity of 1000lbs and it tows 2500lbs of hoes.

This Northstar Utlimate Edition is loaded with goodies. This new ‘22 model boasts a bigger compressor for the AC, better door seals to help keep the dust out. The seats have been slightly improved but could still be better. They call it a 6 seater but extremely comfortable with 4 and a 5th in the center back wouldn’t complain. Have not messed with the RideCommand much yet but it’s kinda cool. And I pulled some dudes car out of the sand a week ago with the 4500lb winch in the front bumper already. Two gloveboxes on the passenger side with deep side pockets in ever door. I could go on but will save it for my future feature review in “two weeks”.

Once I ordered this thing, it took about 6 or 7 months to show up. In the waiting period, I loaded the garage floor with parts to do the build when it came. Changed out the suspension with a HCR kit to strengthen its ability and to put a set of 15” Method beadlock wheels on. Wrapped those Methods with the 32”BFG KM3’s. With the need to light up the night, I added almost 20 Rigid lights, RhinoRack teamed up with Polaris and made a roof and bed rack specifically for this model, so to make it even more functional we added both of those too. And maybe just as important as the rest, I had all the windows ceramic tinted to keep as much heat out as possible, plus it looks kewl!
Fricken awesome.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Was it the one sitting in back Easter weekend? Full doors and windows. Very nice. I bought a 6 seater from Dave a few years ago but no AC or heat. Great for launching skis and scorpion hunting with the Nieces and Nephews. Pulled out a few rzrzs that were buried to the frame in the sand with the winch no problem.

Attachments

• 20211024_102714.jpg
    20211024_102714.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I loved my ranger when I had it. Erick Barker did some pretty extensive suspension upgrades and he put mine on kings. It was a Cadillac and while it wasn’t super fast, the cruise speed was as fast if not faster than rzr’s because of the long wheel base.

That said for the ridiculous washboard in Havasu, I don’t see these things holding up. They are the hot new thing so everyone is talking about them.. but looking underneath the frame looks about the same to me. We had to plate several areas to reinforce and fix several times where the frame broke. Granted I ran mine pretty hard when we were out in the dirt.

If I got a new one I’d start off welding plates all over the place before I did anything.

RD

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Here is a link to our build up in the off-road section.

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I loved my ranger when I had it. Erick Barker did some pretty extensive suspension upgrades and he put mine on kings. It was a Cadillac and while it wasn’t super fast, the cruise speed was as fast if not faster than rzr’s because of the long wheel base.

That said for the ridiculous washboard in Havasu, I don’t see these things holding up. They are the hot new thing so everyone is talking about them.. but looking underneath the frame looks about the same to me. We had to plate several areas to reinforce and fix several times where the frame broke. Granted I ran mine pretty hard when we were out in the dirt.

If I got a new one I’d start off welding plates all over the place before I did anything.

RD

Yours was ahead of its own time. Overbuilt and ran hard. It’s not designed to run the baja1000.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score

RD
Mine ride as yours, very plush.

As far as being fragile, I didn’t and don’t push it like a RZR. Power sliding around fast corners, you can feel the weight and the height of that weight.

I’m not in a hurry to enjoy our days. We might go over the mountain to Mormon Lake or down to Stoneman lake road. We even go all the way from the 17, over to the 87 to Clints well or Happy Jack.

If I want to rip a bit, I hop in the RZR. Even though my RZR is stock. Except for Shock Therapy.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
That thing looks awesome! Love the A/C for the heat.

What made you go with this over something like a 2 door jeep? With all the upgrades, it seems like you could have gotten a 2 door Rubicon for about the same price.
I’ll answer from my perspective. I’ll get arguments on this but, a Ranger gets you further, faster and in greater comfort that any Jeep.

The way they move over rough ground doesn’t throw you or your passengers around. It’s a utility vehicle and I use it as such.

I did a coues hunt in a December. I was down in the rockiest nastiest part of 6A I’ve ever seen. A Jeep, while competent and able, just would take more punishment.

My Ranger, being as narrow as it it, is so completely covered in brush scratches, I’d never do that to a Jeep.

But yes, they’re pricy. My Northstar was ~31ish? I put about 6k in it.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
That thing looks awesome! Love the A/C for the heat.

What made you go with this over something like a 2 door jeep? With all the upgrades, it seems like you could have gotten a 2 door Rubicon for about the same price.

I did consider a jeep. A few things that went thru my head, we wanted a 4 seater. If I had spent money on a jeep, I would have still spent more doing same upgrades, tires, wheels, more suspension, lights, stereo and comms. Original plan was to keep it simple and functional. I might have gone slightly over again.

Duramax

Reaction score
Beautiful as your builds always are. Great job!
I did consider a jeep. A few things that went thru my head, we wanted a 4 seater. If I had spent money on a jeep, I would have still spent more doing same upgrades, tires, wheels, more suspension, lights, stereo and comms. Original plan was to keep it simple and functional. I might have gone slightly over again.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score

RD
You drove it like you stole it lol
20181229_173333_HDR.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’d like to build another one. I am kinda wrapped up in the speed thing though

DuttonDave

Reaction score
Preston at Horizon has a badass Polaris he just built …
042FAD37-5AC7-438D-B346-0F5A47A2D115.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

goshen82

Reaction score
BDC64748-62A6-41BA-968F-DDB446142F20.jpeg

We got this one about a year ago it does pretty good in the desert. I was actually surprised. We have sand cars and can am x3 and it’s not as good as the can ams but it does good. It’s nice that you don’t get dusty and it has ac.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Wired 4 Sound nails it again with the Rugged Radio and Intercom install. Deleted the upper glovebox for a “one off” custom dash install.

View attachment 1157314

I keep showing pictures of your build to my neighbor to piss him off 🤣. He’s got a ‘22 Trail Boss Ranger. Car looks great.

How are you liking the GMRS radio? Did you hack it to “unlock” it? I have their waterproof unit and hacked mine to run all the “regular” off-road channels.