WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kaboom!! RIP Mr. Lower Unit

Daudioexpert

Reaction score
Everything points to me hitting something under water.
Yes , It sucks.
Only thing abnormal I felt was leaving the sand bar.
It gave up a 1/2 mile north of Windsor coming south.
No bang , motor rev went up a little and the boat came of plane .
First thing I thought was I lost the prop.
I did and the rest of the Lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stayin'ontop

Reaction score
Total bummer man i’m sorry to hear that.......
Keep us in the loop if you somehow find better answers

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Insurance will cover it once... then drop you and you will PAY for this repair 10x over in the form of inflated premiums at the next company that will pick you up.. Unless its absolutely out of your means to repair , DONT file a claim...
I filed one marine claim in my life 2 years ago...... THE ABSOLUTLE worst decision ... That's my PSA for today.

Maybe things have changed, but I've turned in a couple of legit claims to state farm. One for the exhaust hose to thru Hull tip failing and partially sinking boat. Most of the seats redone for several $k. No increase no change...

Last edited:

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Sorry to see that. Good thing is no one was hurt and the boat didn’t take on water. The pocket book will be sore for awhile.

Daudioexpert

Reaction score
Insurance will cover it once... then drop you and you will PAY for this repair 10x over in the form of inflated premiums at the next company that will pick you up.. Unless its absolutely out of your means to repair , DONT file a claim...
I filed one marine claim in my life 2 years ago...... THE ABSOLUTLE worst decision ... That's my PSA for today.
Considering what the insurance costs ,I turned it in.
My first water claim ever . I pay $4500 a year to insure already

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Any pics from below? I am curious if it just let go all at once or if there was some type of pre-existing damage/ flaw.

adam909

Reaction score
ouch!! could the boat take on water with that type of damage to the drive?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Everything points to me hitting something under water.
Yes , It sucks.
Only thing abnormal I felt was leaving the sand bar.
It gave up a 1/2 mile north of Windsor coming south.
No bang , motor rev went up a little and the boat came of plane .
First thing I thought was I lost the prop.
I did and the rest of the Lower.

Damn Troy, sorry to hear.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sintax

Reaction score
I didnt realize IMCO was making quick change lowers... they'll make a mint this way!

No faster way to change your ratio...

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Off topic but could you run a 6 drive on a deck like this?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ouch:(
Yes, a metric shit ton of money. Parts do break though. If you don't believe me, let me drive...

The bright side, the drive is easier to replace, and less costly than the powerplant. Not to mention, the boat still looks good and suffered no hull damage:)

Shit can always be worse;)

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Don't those Whipples have a bypass valve that reduces boost at lower load levels?

Not sure I just know the top engine builders told me to stay away from peak torque while on the water. They said torque kills drives not top end speed.

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
I blew my drive on my 27 Shadow with Teague 800. Did not hit anything. Told them I had a boat in front of me pulling a tuner and the tuber fell off they turned around in front of me without looking I hit the wake and came out of water and on re-entry prop grabbed and boom. They sent a Surveyor to BCM to inspect. AJ had all my service records and they covered it no issues and I never got dropped or had my premium raised. This was with Allstate.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Wow... How could that happen when the resistance applied to the drive is a prop spinning in water?? When a race car breaks something in the driveline it is from resistance of trying to move an object vs good traction, and the weakest link fails... How can that housing be weaker than spinning a prop in the water unless the prop hit something fairly substantial?? Some one said a broken gear bound up the lower. OK, but what broke that gear?? Again, we're only spinning a prop in water as the end result... Curious minds really want to know...
Ray

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Wow... How could that happen when the resistance applied to the drive is a prop spinning in water?? When a race car breaks something in the driveline it is from resistance of trying to move an object vs good traction, and the weakest link fails... How can that housing be weaker than spinning a prop in the water unless the prop hit something fairly substantial?? Some one said a broken gear bound up the lower. OK, but what broke that gear?? Again, we're only spinning a prop in water as the end result... Curious minds really want to know...
Ray

The horsepower/torque is absorbed by the water. Nearly equal to traction on a tire.

Dan'l

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ray

Literally happens every weekend multiple times a weekend. Props don’t slip much. If you want a bunch of reasons why they break I can type them out.

Sherpa

Reaction score
can you say ouch......... That would be a nice find while diving to get that prop and parts back to the owner....... wonder how deep the area is where it came apart.

--Sherpa

WAAZ

Reaction score
IMG_5742.PNG

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Ray

Water is an "un-compressable" fluid... it is harder on the weakest link than an asphalt/concrete race car. There is zero absorption in the prop to water interface. Every single oz of energy is either moving the boat, Displacing the water or transferred from slip/aeration elements.

Daudioexpert

Reaction score
can you say ouch......... That would be a nice find while diving to get that prop and parts back to the owner....... wonder how deep the area is where it came apart.

--Sherpa

Divers said around 20ft deep

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Divers said around 20ft deep

The prop alone would be worth getting it back I imagine? Pretty decent sized chunk of aluminum and stainless to locate, no?

Still sucks. The lower is worth more than my boat...

Dan'l

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Yea that's not good. My Teague 825 was like 4400 I think for max torque back when I had it and never used to cruise in that RPM range.
Hm. I cruise in that range all the time. Although, pretty sure the torque curve is nearly flat with this motor so I’m not sure it matters much. I pulled the magnets earlier this year and they hardly had any fuzz on them.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
825 Teague with Imco SCX

Personal opinion is that there was a defect somewhere in that drive. Whether it be the case, a gear, shaft, etc. 825 is not a ton of power for an SCX, and for it to catastrophically explode...

Sorry to hear man. Looks like a nice boat, what is it?

Daudioexpert

Reaction score
Personal opinion is that there was a defect somewhere in that drive. Whether it be the case, a gear, shaft, etc. 825 is not a ton of power for an SCX, and for it to catastrophically explode...

Sorry to hear man. Looks like a nice boat, what is it?
Interceptor KK28 , Thank you

Daudioexpert

Reaction score
Hm. I cruise in that range all the time. Although, pretty sure the torque curve is nearly flat with this motor so I’m not sure it matters much. I pulled the magnets earlier this year and they hardly had any fuzz on them.
Barrett checked everything 2 weeks before and nothing.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Six drives were made for a reason...hell even three and fives are leaps and bounds above bravo band aids.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score

I'm no expert, just relating what the engine builders told me. On my 29 with the Eickert never grenaded the drive during the 3 years I had it. On my 28 deck with the Teague motor I had for 8 years never lost a drive either following that driving style.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Off topic but could you run a 6 drive on a deck like this?

Most of the time no. A #6 needs a trans so you have to push the motor forward 1ft. Most single engine boats don't have an extra foot in front of the motor. Plus a #6 drive is heavy, throws off the balance of the boat.

Six drives were made for a reason...hell even three and fives are leaps and bounds above bravo band aids.
Still need a trans with a 3 & 5. Also not sure parts are easy to come by for those anymore. I agree, they're much better designs, but the SCX should be more than fine with 825hp. I think it was just something freak

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Just a couple I had the pleasure of dealing with last summer
20180723_172902.jpg
20180518_161111.jpg

HST4ME

Reaction score
Play six drives horsepower...play six drive games..

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Oh ya, the Volvo said he hit a sandbar at only 10mph

The merc just fell off while on plane. That one I know for certain. It only had 2200 hrs on it, It seemed like it had so much life left....

Wonsley66

Reaction score
Lake Powell
IMG_3538.jpg